Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Combat Almost Always 90% or More of MMORPG Content?

1789101113»

Comments

• cantankerousmagecantankerousmage Member UncommonPosts: 992

Combat is like "free content" for the Devs.  They don't have to write it (other than coding the parameters).  The players provide it.

Alternative content like crafting just feels really scripted to me, though, like painting by numbers.  You just follow instructions.  Although honestly, most MMO combat isn't much better- once you learn the best "rotation", you just press those buttons in the correct order over and over ad infinitum.

I certainly think interesting non-combat content could be introduced in MMOs, but it would have to be innovative.  It's much easier to make the games combat focused.

The fact that these games are too easy is one of the reasons the MMORPG market has been so stale and stagnant for years.

• DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308
    I'm just gonna say. Doctor Strange Movie is about sorcerers fighting sorcerers with sorcery. 90% of all fight scenes in that movie is people punching other people.

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
    Well, it's a superhero action movie.  There are a lot more movies in the world besides action movies.
  • laseritlaserit Member EpicPosts: 5,576

DrDread74 said:

I'm just gonna say. Doctor Strange Movie is about sorcerers fighting sorcerers with sorcery. 90% of all fight scenes in that movie is people punching other people.

The Raven

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 834
    Completely agree. I play a Denobulin Doctor on Star Trek Online I've reached max level on everything that has to do with medicine (I'm Chief Medical Officer) and my ship spends all it's time now fighting things. There's no healing in the game to speak of. The special event episodes have nothing specific to my class. None of the missions for the exploration side of things (which is laughably missing in an IP that was basically all about exploration) are gone. There's no missions to heal people or even coordinate my teams.

Even missions to create things like hyposprays are RNG basically my medical team could FAIL to replicate the large hypos even though they are purple and orange quality medical personnel!

It's a sad state of affairs over there!
    I think it's a pretty sad state of affairs in most MMORPGs.  Hulk smash!