Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Latest Manifesto Details Changes to DoT System in 3.0 - Path of Exile - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 28,247
edited April 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageLatest Manifesto Details Changes to DoT System in 3.0 - Path of Exile - MMORPG.com

Path of Exile News - The first in a series of "manifesto" articles on the Path of Exile site has been published. The blog posts are designed to inform players about significant changes coming to the game with the launch of The Fall of Oriath expansion later this year. In this article, players are told of adjustments to the "damage over time", or DoT, mechanic in League play.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• GroundlessGroundless Member UncommonPosts: 42
    I've been following this DoT issue in PoE for some time now, because it is interesting to see how the developers are reacting to a serious flaw in game mechanics.

For background DoT damage is calculated twice when a monster is hit, once for the initial hit damage and again for the DoT calculation (based on a percentage of the initial hit damage). This is called "double dipping" as the community refers to it, and has become so insanely overpowered that the going joke is that using these skills is "unethical" as it just about trivializes all game content and one-shots entire screens. All while some player-favorite skills and area of effects skills are continually nerfed.

The devs for this game are truly unique in that they are active in the community and will respond directly to player feedback and criticism. I'm really looking forward to the expansion and how some of these major balancing issues are handled.
  • MephistalMephistal Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Your explanation of double dipping isn't correct. What you've explained is the mechanics of how a skill or spell applies it's initial damage and resulting dot or degen whether it double dips or not.

Double dipping occurs when a damage scalar can be applied to increase the base or initial damage application and then again apply to the resulting dot or degen, whose damage is based on the initial hit and was scaled previously by the same scalar.

I do agree though I am really looking forward to the new expansion and the possibilities it will bring.