Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV - In Good Company - Finding Your Place in FFXIV - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageFinal Fantasy XIV - In Good Company - Finding Your Place in FFXIV - MMORPG.com

There’s only so many different ways you can say Stormblood’s just around the corner — but with mere weeks until the expansion comes out, it’s hard to think of much else.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Great post. I am in ESO and I don't have a guild I would call home. In LOTRO (Merchant Princes) it made the game. We had weekly guild events, spent time getting to know each other, and built friendships. It was still the best guild I have ever been in.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    edited April 2017
    I also got into FF14 two weeks ago and just entered HeavensWard castle.Not sure about the story since i skipped the boring parts and enjoyed the critical turnarounds. A friend brought me to FF14, i hope it gets better in HW, since its been pretty much a walking simulator wich let me ultimately to look for a speeder. As a longterm fan of the Final Fantasy genre, i wouldnt say the storyline was that good compared to the offline titles. I hope HW will change that.

Another big minus is the thing that a new player has to do all main quests of the base game ARR to play with friends. 380 quests (130-150h) just in ARR is way to much till u can enter the next story ark. I think its a big turn off for many out there.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I thought they allowed you to buy some item to bypass the lower story quests. Not sure but almost certain I read about it on these very forums.
    Chamber of Chains
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    If you skip stuff I guess it would seem bland. It wasn't intended to be played that way, they gave you the option and that was what you chose.
  • RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I don't think the story skip item is out yet in NA. I know it is in China or Korea, but I believe NA is not slated to get the story and level skip items until after Stormblood drops and even then I believe Yoshi-P announced that it was still a maybe because if there is enough clamoring from the NA commmunity that we shouldn't have it then he wouldn't release it stateside.
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    I would absolutely love this game if everything weren't quest-locked. I hate solo questing, and having to quest for everything in the game is so off-putting and boring.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• anthonyw.grayanthonyw.gray Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited April 2017
    @exile01 Don't have any worries about Heavensward's story, it's leagues better than AAR's. I was literally falling asleep playing though the entirety of AAR. It also doesn't help that so many of the dungeons/unlocks for extra stuff like dying/glamouring gear, are tied to so many side quests. It can certainly feel like the longest of treks.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I stopped playing for about a year because I just burned myself out on the raid-log endgame.

Trying to come back to it I just couldn't get excited about anything.  Every encounter that was new or interesting to me was a faceroll right through every mechanic in under 5 minutes.  Once I realized how bad power-creep had ruined content I wanted to actually enjoy (read: actually be challenged by and experience the encounter) I decided to call it quits for good.

For the people who have been playing since day 1 the way they release content is phenomenal.  For anyone just coming into it, don't expect to have much fun with anything but the newest content.
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515

dreamer05 said:

I would absolutely love this game if everything weren't quest-locked. I hate solo questing, and having to quest for everything in the game is so off-putting and boring.

i agree,I've tried to give the game multiple chances to pull me in. Themepark mmo's tend to be pretty linear but this game has to be the most linear mmo i ever played in my life! ironically it has one of the best communities from what i've seen so far. it's a shame that so much of the game is held back by really odd design decisions and there is just so many of them.
  • XImpalerXXImpalerX Member UncommonPosts: 606
    edited April 2017
    Doesn't the expansion come out on June 20th? That is more than "a mere few weeks"
  • F2PlagueF2Plague Member UncommonPosts: 232
    I have tried going back to this game multiple times only to be beaten down by the content wall in front of Heavansward. Its just so god damn boring... On top of that I cant really agree with this post. Simply put I have never met weirder people. I would frequently walk around town and find naked characters doing shady stuff in back alleys through emotes rofl. Didn't have much luck finding a Free Company that was relatively normal either. And this was not on one of the "unofficial" RP servers either. I played it at release got to end game and enjoyed the raiding quite a bit. But fizzled out. And now its just too much rubbish to get through to play relevant content.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

dreamer05 said:

My rustration started about 10 seconds into the game..I wanted to go wander around and explore a little bit and every area was closed off except for the one my quest was in......I absolutely despise questing on rails so I was done with FFXIV in about 10 minutes.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

dreamer05 said:

My rustration started about 10 seconds into the game..I wanted to go wander around and explore a little bit and every area was closed off except for the one my quest was in......I absolutely despise questing on rails so I was done with FFXIV in about 10 minutes.

The regular questing is basically on quest hub rails sure. However you are allowed to explore and lvl off fates, hunting log , leve's, main story quests and even palace of the dead. How were you stuck in the same zone and unable to explore?

It was a surprise to me also, but whenever i would choose any other direction it literally blocked it and said you cant go there.
  • SinsaiSinsai Member UncommonPosts: 405
    I just returned and I'm absolutely loving it.

The community is the best I've experienced in a long time and getting ANY content done just takes you asking in the Novice Network chat.

I have only been back 2 weeks and have leveled two DPS classes from 1-50(would be 60 but won't get HW til this week).

Now on a tank(pally) and went from 1-27 just yesterday(instant queues for dungies) and next I'll be doing a healer, most likely Astrologist but was thinking White Mage.

Again, absolute blast so far and for me the MSQ(Main Story Quests) is one of the things that makes me feel part of the world.

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

Sinsai said:

The community is the best I've experienced in a long time and getting ANY content done just takes you asking in the Novice Network chat.

I have only been back 2 weeks and have leveled two DPS classes from 1-50(would be 60 but won't get HW til this week).

Now on a tank(pally) and went from 1-27 just yesterday(instant queues for dungies) and next I'll be doing a healer, most likely Astrologist but was thinking White Mage.

Again, absolute blast so far and for me the MSQ(Main Story Quests) is one of the things that makes me feel part of the world.

just a reminder: if u get your main lvl to lvl 51, all classes get 100% bonus exp.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    One of the better games on the market
  • anthonyw.grayanthonyw.gray Member UncommonPosts: 24

I stopped playing for about a year because I just burned myself out on the raid-log endgame.

Trying to come back to it I just couldn't get excited about anything.  Every encounter that was new or interesting to me was a faceroll right through every mechanic in under 5 minutes.  Once I realized how bad power-creep had ruined content I wanted to actually enjoy (read: actually be challenged by and experience the encounter) I decided to call it quits for good.

For the people who have been playing since day 1 the way they release content is phenomenal.  For anyone just coming into it, don't expect to have much fun with anything but the newest content.

Dude, I totally get you! I think that's one my main complaints about FF14, the power creep/poor down scaling. I remember a time having to actually have to do the door mechanics for when you fight Diabolos in the Lost City of Amdapor. Now the item lvls are so high all you have to do is DPS him, and done. Heavensward trivialized AAR content, I can't help but wonder what Bloodstorm is going to do to the Heavenward's content...
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    I picked it up last christmas after XV being such a disaster. Best Final Fantasy that I've played in a long time.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Sinsai said:

Don't play WHM, such a boring healer.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Dude, I totally get you! I think that's one my main complaints about FF14, the power creep/poor down scaling. I remember a time having to actually have to do the door mechanics for when you fight Diabolos in the Lost City of Amdapor. Now the item lvls are so high all you have to do is DPS him, and done. Heavensward trivialized AAR content, I can't help but wonder what Bloodstorm is going to do to the Heavenward's content...

If it aint new, it's a faceroll.