Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Proudly Announces 30 Million Players - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    How many are hackers that keep coming back since Blizzard can't do crap against them?
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    edited April 2017

Wizardry said:

Blizzard's marketing team is EASILY summed up in one sentence...
    Tell them about our numbers,tell them they should play because millions of others are playing.
    It is very weak marketing to take this approach,like you could hire a kid out of college to perform the marketing lead role for Blizzard and likely do a better job.

There is ONLY ONE thing that matters to me and it is not weather Joe Blow is playing,i only care about the  game itself,what it offers,how much EFFORT went into it and the quality of the result.

You could tell me Obama,Wayne Gretzky,Trump,Lebron James are all playing and it would not do a single thing for me.I only care about the game,NOT the numbers.

As to the question above poster asked...I have no idea if they said that because this has ALWAYS been their tactic,so i highly doubt they said anything of the sort.

It's a great marketing tactic for their target demographic. WoW has repeatedly become a less and less complex game over the years until the point it's essentially a MOBA with level/gear grinding in terms of it's complexity and demands of the player.

Originally you could create complex and unique builds by splashing points from your main trees into other trees. Then they limited the ability to spec into more than one tree. Then they eliminated trees altogether. It's essentially pick a tree and sub-tree and watch the game build your character for you.

All of this while lowering the overall challenge level of their high end PvE content.

In a MOBA you at least have to challenge yourself and learn from your matches because that's what's required to compete. You don't have anything up on your opponents other than your knowledge of the game and how good you are.

In an MMO you can run your rotations on mobs, or run "Go kill X and gather X" quests until you hit the endgame where your are faced with two choices:

A. Run PvP matches over and over and over until you have top end PvP gear and skill is only required if fighting other people who have the same.

B. Run dumbed down raids over and over until you have the raid gear to stomp through any PvE content ever without effort.

What kind of people would opt for that kind of game?

People who are susceptible to marketing that essential says: "All the cool kids play WoW. Why don't you?"

Your marketing aimed at a more intelligent audience would attract an audience that would reject WoW. They know their target market well.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited April 2017

Forgrimm said:

Didn't Blizzard say a year ago they would not play the numbers game anymore? Maybe I'm wrong.

They said they won't announce subscriber numbers for WoW anymore. But since Overwatch is a B2P game with no sub, 30 million players = 30 million boxes sold.

Nope, Blizzard has never sold 30mil copies of Overwatch. When they were at 25mil, the reported revenue at around 500mil.

I mean do the math and you'll notice that it just doesn't add up. That's because Chinese players get to play Overwatch for free, and they ARE in the majority.

Overwatch didn't sell 15mil of copies in total. And Blizzard can probably expect about 100mil of yearly revenue from now on. Not as big as some people think it is.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Forgrimm said:

Phixion13 said:

I feel like this number isn't correct. Is it number of players actually playing or just copies sold?? I bought a copy and it was great for a month but quickly lost it's hype charm for me; so am I in that number?

It's a B2P game with no sub, so number of players listed will be boxes sold. The actual quote from the tweet is "More than 30 million players have charged into Overwatch!"

Then they are wrong there is not 30mill playing so we can assume to cut their bs numbers in half to probly 15mill

Read the actual quote Hash and let me teach you something about marketing.... 

By avoiding actually using words like bought or plays.... They are on solid ground... Because all that above means is that 30mil accounts have been registered and at some point logged in to the game. No mention of time played or current active users.... They simply let your mind fill in the rest if the missing info. As you did there... That is the power of good marketing. Creating a half narrative letting the mind of the recipient fill in the blanks. That way you can ride the wave of hype and then just rely on the "we did not say" clause. 

For another example.... Check out the HotS Hanamura tease and the Deathwing vs D.Va drama. =)

This have been a good conversation

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230

josko9 said:

Forgrimm said:

Didn't Blizzard say a year ago they would not play the numbers game anymore? Maybe I'm wrong.

They said they won't announce subscriber numbers for WoW anymore. But since Overwatch is a B2P game with no sub, 30 million players = 30 million boxes sold.

Nope, Blizzard has never sold 30mil copies of Overwatch. When they were at 25mil, the reported revenue at around 500mil.

I mean do the math and you'll notice that it just doesn't add up. That's because Chinese players get to play Overwatch for free, and they ARE in the majority.

Overwatch didn't sell 15mil of copies in total. And Blizzard can probably expect about 100mil of yearly revenue from now on. Not as big as some people think it is.

There have been free weekends and even free beta trials too on all platforms. Yeah it's clearly not 30 million copies sold but the sum of people who ever logged into the game.

Some even forget that games in general struggle to retain the vast majority of their players and no game is an exception. Not even the most popular ones are.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Only with games that aren't doing very well.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678
    90% of this or even more is free trials :D
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

saurus123 said:

Nah, most of them used their WoD money from WoW to buy tokens and convert it into account balance so they could buy OW since people dont have anything to use money on in wow other than tokens lol.
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621

Wizardry said:

Blizzard's marketing team is EASILY summed up in one sentence...
    Tell them about our numbers,tell them they should play because millions of others are playing.
    It is very weak marketing to take this approach,like you could hire a kid out of college to perform the marketing lead role for Blizzard and likely do a better job.

There is ONLY ONE thing that matters to me and it is not weather Joe Blow is playing,i only care about the  game itself,what it offers,how much EFFORT went into it and the quality of the result.

You could tell me Obama,Wayne Gretzky,Trump,Lebron James are all playing and it would not do a single thing for me.I only care about the game,NOT the numbers.

As to the question above poster asked...I have no idea if they said that because this has ALWAYS been their tactic,so i highly doubt they said anything of the sort.

How can you call that weak marketing. One they are the most successful game company every, there is no arguing  that one. Two, if you just take a look at these forums  a lot of people ask if people  play a game, if the answer is only I dono 10000 play it, the game is dead and sucks haaha. The mass majority of people are only interested in something if some one else is, I mean that is with everything, and it is the target of almost all advertising. 

If blizzard made a ad that said, this game is a great game, but let me tell you only  100 people like it, and there is no one here, be strong, be a individual, think for your self. Yeah that would get so many people haha. Take Ryzom for instance, game is one of the most complex, has the best NPC,Crafting,skill system, alive world system, but it is not geared towards retarded people, or is it geared towards mindless entertainment. That gots like 100 people playing it. 

Since I do not study the habits of players enough, I am also gonna say that apparently Blizzard must of figured out WOW was even to hard for the majority of people. Which is why they focused effort on Heroes of the Storm and Over Watch. Can't say I recall hearing that WOW got 30 million players, now I am not sure what that number means, if it is 30 million players all together, 30 million accounts, 30 million I have no idea, but the fact remains that MOBAs are way more popular that MMORPGS, and WOW is way more popular than ryzom, and that people play things based off if some one else thinks its fun, not if they do. 

I mean its kinda of obvious. If the mass majority of people could think for them selves, and were not followers. We wouldn't even be here having this conversation, because we never would of worked together in the early  years of our existence. Every one would of just wanted to do their own thing, and nothing would of got done, making it so we would of been eaten by everything. 
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    WoW haters and their jelly....just admit it already....people like Blizzards games.
    Move on and enjoy what you like.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049
    Blizzard and their Midas touch.
    Chamber of Chains
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited April 2017

Albatroes said:

saurus123 said:

Nah, most of them used their WoD money from WoW to buy tokens and convert it into account balance so they could buy OW since people dont have anything to use money on in wow other than tokens lol.

I could imagine that thousands of WoW players could afford to buy three tokens each from gold to purchase a standard OW copy for the PC since February 2017. WoW Token -> BNet Balance conversion hasn't been around for too long and on top of that the Shop doesn't offer OW copies for consoles. I can't imagine how most of the OW keys came from WoW Tokens especially when OW apparently made most of its sales around its launch long before the Token/Balance conversion was introduced and the hype around OW has been fairly moderate after the game's honeymoon period.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

Albatroes said:

saurus123 said:

Overwatch numbers were well into the millions before WoW tokens became redeemable for Bnet account balance. In addition, for each token that someone buys with gold to get $15 added to their Bnet balance, someone else originally spent $20 to buy that token, so Blizz actually makes more money that way.

WoW haters and their jelly....just admit it already....people like Blizzards games.
    Move on and enjoy what you like.

Man people don't know what they like. People end up doing heroin because other people do it, and what your saying is just admit it people like heroin. I understand his point, which is that people are a bunch of idiots, and do what the next person does, just based on that. I do not know of very many examples of some one doing what they like, based only on what they like. 

DMKano said:

cheyane said:

Blizzard and their Midas $100million+ marketing touch.

Fixed that for ya ;)

(oh relax, I am only sort of kidding.... seriously if Overwatch was an indie game from a small dev with no marketing budget - it would have a tiny fraction of playerbase in comparison)

That is everything though. Haven't you guys ever watched the Lorax haha, I mean it makes it pretty clear to the point even ignorant people can understand the concept. Lets see at the moment some how, people got a bunch of females to think that to be equal to men, they had to assume one of the worst features about a few of us, which was the fact that the biggest animal bastards run around and sleep with as many women as possible. Like the filthy alpha gorilliaz they are, so that got popular and the followers thought it was a good idea. 

I miss the good old days of gaming being considered a loser thing to do. You guys had to all ruin it, and make it so it was socially acceptable. Then you did the worse thing imaginable, and started to feel good about it being socially acceptable, and now we got what we got, a bunch of games made for the lowest of the low, just to make sure no one gets left behind hahaha. 
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I miss the good old days of gaming being considered a loser thing to do. You guys had to all ruin it, and make it so it was socially acceptable. Then you did the worse thing imaginable, and started to feel good about it being socially acceptable, and now we got what we got, a bunch of games made for the lowest of the low, just to make sure no one gets left behind hahaha. 

I´l take my hobby not making me a social pariah over you getting to keep your club for mutual congratulation any day. 

Compared to most games back in the day.... Even the most "lowest of the low" games have metric tons more complexity than the games of old. Are they easier... Probably... 40 years of trial and error tends to do that as a decent amount of the difficulty in old games came from either shit design (by todays standards) or hardware limitations. 

This have been a good conversation

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,115

DMKano said:

cheyane said:

Fixed that for ya ;)

(oh relax, I am only sort of kidding.... seriously if Overwatch was an indie game from a small dev with no marketing budget - it would have a tiny fraction of playerbase in comparison)

Warcraft 1 . Came from an ..somehow indie (unknown) company. Yet .. was a massive success. So what's your point ?

If Overwatch was an indie game from a small dev , but with the same quality as it's now , I am VERY sure it would have been a massive success because "word of mouth" .

But oh wait .. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayerUnknown's_Battlegrounds

PLAYERUNKNOWN .. it came out from an indie company, yet is a massive success .

"Battlegrounds made US$11 million in the first three days of its early access release."

So again. What's your point ? Good games sells good , with or without big marketing.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Baaaa follow 30 million other sheep...baaaa
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938
    Lol at all the salty people trying to come up with every excuse under the sun for why these numbers aren't impressive. The vast majority of games can only dream of this level of success.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142

IceAge said:

DMKano said:

cheyane said:

Fixed that for ya ;)

Warcraft 1 . Came from an ..somehow indie (unknown) company. Yet .. was a massive success. So what's your point ?

If Overwatch was an indie game from a small dev , but with the same quality as it's now , I am VERY sure it would have been a massive success because "word of mouth" .

"Battlegrounds made US$11 million in the first three days of its early access release."

So again. What's your point ? Good games sells good , with or without big marketing.

Good games do not always sell well.

That's because some good games can't capture more than a niche audience which shouldn't be confused with mediocre mainstream games that only capture a small audience.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,115

IceAge said:

DMKano said:

cheyane said:

Fixed that for ya ;)

I don't know why you bothered to comment. It's because you just hate Blizzard ? Or .. just to say something very useless ?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

DMKano said:

IceAge said:

DMKano said:

cheyane said:

Fixed that for ya ;)

Exactly.

Not only that - good games even get shut down.

Because "popular" does not equal "good", as games can be both, one or neither.

I would say that is a lie.  Hype does not equal good, but popular does.  One does not stay popular after launch if not good.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Stopped by today because I saw this on reddit and knew there was going to be some salty comments here.  Was not disappointed.

Currently have over 500 hours played in the game and it just gets better.  Combining fps and moba-like character abilities and teamplay was a stroke of genius.  The nice thing about it being a skill-based game is it doesn't get boring, as opposed to gear-based games like MMORPGs.  You keep getting better as you play and practice and so do your opponents.

You can argue about the numbers but it's certainly unprecedented for this type of game in less than a year, so consider the crazy possibility that the game might actually be good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다