Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hardware Review: ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti AMP Edition a Hardware Reviews at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited April 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageHardware Review: ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti AMP Edition a Hardware Reviews at MMORPG.com

You asked and we delivered. Today we’re taking a look at ZOTAC’s GTX 1080Ti AMP Edition. It’s a two-fan powerhouse, coming in at $40 less than most of its competition, but is the 4K killer we hoped for? Read on to find out.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Horrible brand. Bought one once and it got to me in pieces; was very poorly built.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    The heat/fan noise will always trump everything else for me. I just can not put up with a noisy rig anymore.

If it is not quiet...i just do not want it, no matter the specs and ratings, and what not. Long past the time i had to stay abreast of the "latest and greatest" :)

Why these top end cards (both AMD and Nvidia) will never see any of my cash:)
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Been years since i tried a water cooled anything, was an Alienware. Was still loud, but then again that was many years ago:) Maybe they (water cooled stuff) are a lot quieter now. 

But it may be something to look into for people that want to go top end, i will still pass. Near the top end, that will be quiet with air cooled, is good for me:)
  • DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

DMKano said:

DarLorkar said:

The heat/fan noise will always trump everything else for me. I just can not put up with a noisy rig anymore.

If it is not quiet...i just do not want it, no matter the specs and ratings, and what not. Long past the time i had to stay abreast of the "latest and greatest" :)

Watercooled is practically silent.

That's an incredibly untrue statement.  Here is my rig after i built her. - (Under the laptop, i know it looks like a coffee table) - 

It's the noisiest rig I've ever built, and it's not even a very elaborate loop. I don't even have a full dedicated reservoir (Those loops usually have 2 pumps, or 1 very high cap pump).

The radiator makes noise as it has fan's cooling the sink, and the pump makes a tremendous amount of noise. Most MoBos are not soldered with channels/points to handle the specific nature of a loop - It treats the loop like a 'fan' - More power for more RPM when temp thresholds are hit, thus the pump spools loudly frequently. 

I'm a System Engineer, and i've stood up servers quieter then this loud mofo. 

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Nothing beats the MSI gaming edition cards! Will never buy anything else anymore.
    The fans on these cards are excellent and are quite low in noise compared to the competition, from which most their fans sound like a jet engine when booting up games.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

DMKano said:

DarLorkar said:

Ah, the card is air cooled.   This card draws too much power in my view, no wonder the fans are loud.

I have an Asus 1080 and it is very quiet.  Again, I play all my games at 2k, I cannot afford the thousands needed for a good 4k monitor.  I had a cheap one and sold it.   Not sure why anyone needs 4k resolution when there is so little difference between 2k and 4k and the performance difference is huge.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    These days after I put in an Asus 1070 GTX Turbo I have been reduced to just hoping that it turns on each day without any fuss. Who cares about noise and heat when you got bigger fish to fry.
    Chamber of Chains
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    If you guys are worried about noise and heat, avoid the FE. Sheesh. It's a sleek looking card but runs a straight 83-84C unless you crank the fan up to 90%+ which is WAY WAY noiser than the ZOTAC. You can hear the card more than others I've used, but it could be worse.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

Ozmodan said:

DMKano said:

DarLorkar said:

Ah, the card is air cooled.   This card draws too much power in my view, no wonder the fans are loud.

I have an Asus 1080 and it is very quiet.  Again, I play all my games at 2k, I cannot afford the thousands needed for a good 4k monitor.  I had a cheap one and sold it.   Not sure why anyone needs 4k resolution when there is so little difference between 2k and 4k and the performance difference is huge.

By "good" are you referring to HDR, G-Sync? What makes a 4K monitor good in your opinion?
  • SimplyPsykeSimplyPsyke Member UncommonPosts: 32

Divion said:

DMKano said:

DarLorkar said:

That's an incredibly untrue statement.  Here is my rig after i built her. - (Under the laptop, i know it looks like a coffee table) - 

It's the noisiest rig I've ever built, and it's not even a very elaborate loop. I don't even have a full dedicated reservoir (Those loops usually have 2 pumps, or 1 very high cap pump).

The radiator makes noise as it has fan's cooling the sink, and the pump makes a tremendous amount of noise. Most MoBos are not soldered with channels/points to handle the specific nature of a loop - It treats the loop like a 'fan' - More power for more RPM when temp thresholds are hit, thus the pump spools loudly frequently. 

I'm a System Engineer, and i've stood up servers quieter then this loud mofo. 

1.) It is an open air design = more noise
    2.) It is an AIO water cooler, they're louder than custom loops. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like a Raijintek which is on the loud side between their pump and fan design.

Watercooling can be near silent or loud as hell it depends entirely on your setup. For a silent system ideally you will have multiple large radiators with low fpi and low rpm fans that only ramp up when your system heats up. It is all based on the components you choose to go with. I'm looking to do a custom-loop similar to my brother-in-law's which is pretty near silent.

There are some really good air coolers that run just as or more quiet for less though so watercooling isn't "worth it" price wise, I just love the aesthetic.
  • SimplyPsykeSimplyPsyke Member UncommonPosts: 32

DarLorkar said:

I'm 100% with you on noise being key to my purchase. I still plan on getting a Ti but I'm going to be looking at reviews for which of them are able to deliver the quietest experience until I can afford to get a waterblock for it afterwards.

Currently running an ancient Raedon 7850
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Torval said:

@GameByNight A couple of these might be in order for you then.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11304/acer-announces-predator-x27-4k-144-hz-hdr-gsync

Acer 27" 4K 144hz GSYNC HDR IPS PDQ WTF.

The article said that "AU Optronics is reportedly kicking off mass production" of the panels so we could see models from ASUS and other vendors. Acer hasn't announced pricing, but those people who start rumors that people listen to say $1500+.

Spendy, but morning has broken finally for 4K. Now make them in 32".

A 4k monitor has to be competitive with 2k which are around $600 now, $1500 is just way to high for most of us.