Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Was all ready to pledge after the stream, then I looked at the pledge page...

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I think the reason so many people pledged that much is that they really want the game, not the bonuses they get for that. For me, $100 was enough, I want Pantheon but there is a limit.

If you like what you see, support the game but the how much should be focused on your budget (never pledge money you can't loose) and how much you really want the game to be made, not how much other pledges.

$1000 bucks is pretty much and while I could afford it I rather use the other $900 for something else but I certainly wont complain on people that pledges more. If you believe in the game, pledge the amount you want not the sum someone else pledged. 
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    In the year 2020, people (the whales) will look back and go "wow only 1000 dollars!?!? THAT IS SO CHEAP!" 

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Not really shocking their tier system is greedy when they charge to use the forums. That said, this is a wasted topic. Just buy the game when it launches or not at all. Problem solved.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Not really shocking their tier system is greedy when they charge to use the forums. That said, this is a wasted topic. Just buy the game when it launches or not at all. Problem solved.

You have an odd definition of greedy. Not one penny is required. You can wait till launch and use the free trial to around lvl 10 to see if you even want to buy it. If you want to support the game, that's a personal choice. 
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130

Nanfoodle said:

You have an odd definition of greedy. Not one penny is required. You can wait till launch and use the free trial to around lvl 10 to see if you even want to buy it. If you want to support the game, that's a personal choice. 

So it's impossible to be greedy unless you're forced to pay? What planet do you live on? Almost every MMO in existence has a trial of some sort so not really sure what that proves.
  • NickHotSNickHotS Member UncommonPosts: 5

Dullahan said:

There is no way $1k pledge is the most popular. That's called marketing, my friend.

I see no reason why you feel obligated to pledge a grand based on something a tiny image is suggesting. If you like the game, pledge whatever you want. Go the $50 route and grab a copy of the game and a few perks. If you want to test, go a little higher. No reason to feel constrained.

@Dullahan qft

Nanfoodle said:

So it's impossible to be greedy unless you're forced to pay? What planet do you live on? Almost every MMO in existence has a trial of some sort so not really sure what that proves.

You should read your posts before you post them. 
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800

Nanfoodle said:

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Rhoklaw said:

OP has the misconception of a lot of people of our veteran status. These crowdfunded games, the pledge tiers are not the same as buying the game at a store or on steam. When you pledge you are basically investing in a game that you WANT to succeed. A lot of us are tired of the corporate destruction of the MMO genre. The regurgitated crap of F2P and cash shops coupled with hollow content and anti social mechanics.

I'm not pledging a $1000 to buy a game. I'm pledging a $1000 to hopefully have access to an MMO that makes sense. That is how sick and tired I am of this genre. This doesn't mean everyone has to pledge a $1000 to play this game, but enough of us do in order for the game to become a finished product. So don't feel obligated or left out. There is nothing stopping you or anyone else from waiting till the game launches and buying it for $50-60. All that matters is that it does launch, so we can all sit back at the tavern, sipping our ale and thank the gods their isn't a Night Elf hooker upstairs role playing in public chat.

So you would be perfectly OK then with the elimination of tiered pledge rewards? You give them $1,000 because you want them to succeed that much and someone else gives them $50 and neither of you gets any more perks or special treatment than the other... limited alpha slots are drawn at random and he gets one and you don't.

Is that right?

That would be a system where the donors would be truly deserving of praise for their integrity and putting their money where their gaming philosophy commitments are. But I've never seen one like that. All of them have tiered perks according to the amount donated. As soon as you do that, no matter how much you try to skate around the issue, a financial transaction that walks and talks like the purchase of goods and/or services is happening.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421

Rhoklaw said:

OP has the misconception of a lot of people of our veteran status. These crowdfunded games, the pledge tiers are not the same as buying the game at a store or on steam. When you pledge you are basically investing in a game that you WANT to succeed. A lot of us are tired of the corporate destruction of the MMO genre. The regurgitated crap of F2P and cash shops coupled with hollow content and anti social mechanics.

I'm not pledging a $1000 to buy a game. I'm pledging a $1000 to hopefully have access to an MMO that makes sense. That is how sick and tired I am of this genre. This doesn't mean everyone has to pledge a $1000 to play this game, but enough of us do in order for the game to become a finished product. So don't feel obligated or left out. There is nothing stopping you or anyone else from waiting till the game launches and buying it for $50-60. All that matters is that it does launch, so we can all sit back at the tavern, sipping our ale and thank the gods their isn't a Night Elf hooker upstairs role playing in public chat.

Corporations are not to be blamed for the downfall of the mmorpg. They follow player trends, they go where the money leads them. Players themselves are to be blamed, you made the mmorpg sandwich, tasted it and don't like it. Others have noticed this pushback and saw money to be made.
    They know how frustrated today's mmo junkie is, they know how desperate they are too. They know if they say the right buzzwords, show the right footage of game mechanics you'll part ways with your money. The junkie will always throw away their money if shown a small hope they will get what has been promised, what they crave and need so badly.  All the junkie need to do is sit back and imagine how wonderful it will be to sit in a tavern, sip some ale, and thank god they have that founders tag next to their name so that night elf hooker will finally show then some interest. Wallets open, kickstarters flourish.
    These indie devs can smell it on you, right through your keyboard straight into their wallets.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,499

Rhoklaw said:

Iselin said:

Rhoklaw said:

So you would be perfectly OK then with the elimination of tiered pledge rewards? You give them $1,000 because you want them to succeed that much and someone else gives them $50 and neither of you gets any more perks or special treatment than the other... limited alpha slots are drawn at random and he gets one and you don't.

Is that right?

That would be a system where the donors would be truly deserving of praise for their integrity and putting their money where their gaming philosophy commitments are. But I've never seen one like that. All of them have tiered perks according to the amount donated. As soon as you do that, no matter how much you try to skate around the issue, a financial transaction that walks and talks like the purchase of goods and/or services is happening.

There's a difference between alpha / beta access, a glorified title and some additional items that really don't affect the game play for anyone. In fact, the in-game items are available as low as $100. So in reality, I am pretty much spending $900 more with some additional out of game fluff and reputation status.

Let's not confuse this with the notorious P2W cash shop shenanigans we see flooding the market.

At a $1000 or more you are getting a "VIP" Planner who was recently hired to plan activities to make VIPs feel more "special"

I think anyone spends that kind of money crowdfunding a game is pretty "special" already.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    edited April 2017

Rhoklaw said:

What is to stop Brad, or any dev for that matter, from selling off his shares in the company the second the game releases to a corporation, and just running to the bank laughing?  Their word?  Even if they don't pull a Mark Zuckerberg, you do realize that without having a corporation to answer to, ie pay back, they are going to be making tens of millions dollars off of you as the "Donor".

It's to be a donation to help them make the game !

The OP wants all his money back..... Let me ask, when you go to Church and they pass the basket, do you put money in or take money out ?

Churches are not making millions of dollars after I donate to them, and my donations to a church would be tax deductible.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Miss Brandy, here's a fiver. Now bring me your finest hooker! What??? $3200 for an hour? I can get married for that amount!!!
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    its better to buy a game when its finished and after you have investigated if its worth your money.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Kyleran said:

Rhoklaw said:

Iselin said:

Rhoklaw said:

Is that right?

There's a difference between alpha / beta access, a glorified title and some additional items that really don't affect the game play for anyone. In fact, the in-game items are available as low as $100. So in reality, I am pretty much spending $900 more with some additional out of game fluff and reputation status.

Let's not confuse this with the notorious P2W cash shop shenanigans we see flooding the market.

At a $1000 or more you are getting a "VIP" Planner who was recently hired to plan activities to make VIPs feel more "special"

I think anyone spends that kind of money crowdfunding a game is pretty "special" already.

;)

I just came from an Alvin Ailey performance and looking at the donors I could see people donating 5k, 25k and 100k+.

Me being in the arts, the idea of patronizing, donating, whichever word one wants to use, isn't beyond the pale at all. Happens all the time.

So this type of patronage is commonplace in other walks of life. Now, in order to get games that have smaller audiences, it sort of makes sense. It also makes sense that people who give at that level get an extra "thank you".

In the case of games, I don't really think that should place one player above another player in terms of game play but having special events isn't any different than another concert I considered going to that allowed people who paid a "certain amount" to get dinner and drinks at a function with the performers.

As long as people can "really" afford it and it helps get a niche game off the ground I'm not really against it.

I do think that some players get caught up in the moment and shouldn't be giving/spending their money on such things.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MarknMarkn Member UncommonPosts: 307
    $10,$50,$100,$1000 its all about whats important to you and how much you make.  
    You dont have to give them one cent. Wait till it releases and play the trial. If you like the game pay for the box. If you want to support the game, then give what you are comfortable giving and enjoy the feeling that you were a small part of helping give birth to something you want. 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,499

Sovrath said:

Kyleran said:

Rhoklaw said:

Iselin said:

Rhoklaw said:

Is that right?

;)

I just came from an Alvin Ailey performance and looking at the donors I could see people donating 5k, 25k and 100k+.

Me being in the arts, the idea of patronizing, donating, whichever word one wants to use, isn't beyond the pale at all. Happens all the time.

So this type of patronage is commonplace in other walks of life. Now, in order to get games that have smaller audiences, it sort of makes sense. It also makes sense that people who give at that level get an extra "thank you".

In the case of games, I don't really think that should place one player above another player in terms of game play but having special events isn't any different than another concert I considered going to that allowed people who paid a "certain amount" to get dinner and drinks at a function with the performers.

As long as people can "really" afford it and it helps get a niche game off the ground I'm not really against it.

I do think that some players get caught up in the moment and shouldn't be giving/spending their money on such things.

Quite possibly one of the best explanations of the motivation of large scale supporters of crowd funded games, a modern patronage mentality of a sorts, just with more specific, beneficial and perhaps enduring perks than is typical in the arts.

It actually makes sense now. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Nanfoodle said:

Torval said:

I think it takes $500 (maybe $250) to get testing access immediately. That is probably a bit daunting for most people. I can understand the shock. 

I would recommend waiting until the beta period gets closer and then see if buying in makes sense. 

VR is not selling beta slots, there is a limited number of them and when they are filled. They will be removed from the pledges. So if you want one get it soon as I'm am sure they won't last long. 

Shroud of the Avatar does something similar with items and it's bullshit regardless of the offering: beta slots, in-game loot, whatever.

"We only have 250 statues so you better get yours now."

It's a fucking digital asset. It can be replicated forever. The only reason to do it is to squeeze a higher price out of gullible people.

Beta slots...same thing. If you claim to be an MMO, wouldn't you want as many beta testers as possible to stress the system so it's not an embarrassment at launch?

No, because VR knows this game isn't going to be massive. There's no reason to stress test it. Get as much $$$ out of people now, charge an arm and a leg for it, and capitalize on desperate "old school" sad sacks who want to live their EQ glory days.

I also find it hard to believe the $1000 pledge is the "top seller" as they show on their pledge page. Someone is doing a bit of creative accounting for marketing purposes.

This entire game has "snake oil" written all over it. Calling it now just so I can come back later and to revel in the "I told you so" posts I'll be making.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Well everyone else is doing it.  Whats wrong with you?
    /s
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

svann said:

/s

Other players fall off a cliff, why don't you? :awesome:

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

svann said:

/s

Most gamers are sheep, that's one thing we know for sure.

I've been scammed by an early access game before. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

This is playing out almost exactly the same way. There must be a formula these indie devs pass around to each other. Pledges are just testing grounds to determine how easily fans can be manipulated.

New monetization hooks incoming...

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited April 2017

Robsolf said:

This will be a niche game that is meant to serve a small but currently underserved crowd of gamers.  As such, the amount of money from donors is gonna be a bit steep because there will be fewer donors.

It's perfectly sensible to have your concerns, OP, but really, all you have to do is pay the $50.  That's what you'd pay for any new MMO, anyway.  And if it features the gameplay you want that other MMO's are lacking...?

Personally, I'd wait for it to launch.  It'll be 50 bucks then, and they will try to entice new players after the game launches, too.  And if they're true to their philosophy, donors won't get P2W, right?

Most new MMOs are increasingly B2P or F2P.  So no, that's not what you're pay for any new MMO, anyways... 

--- --- ---

In any case, I'm kind of disappointed in how the game has turned out.  It's such a blatant EQ clone, that it's actually extremely uninteresting to me.  There is hardly any innovation in this game.  They've basically cloned EQ on top of a more modern graphics engine, that it.  And it's not like it looks that amazing, either.  I think I will feel like I'm playing a 17-18 year old game if I played this, and that's not really what I'm personally looking for.  Anyone who is interested in this could have simply played EverQuest and spared themselves the extra cost and years or waiting for it to released.

EQNext would have been out years ago, if SOE/DBG were this "brilliant"...

There are ways they could have kept some of the EQ Feel, without wholesale cloning it.

I have never been so... disappointed in a new game before.  The only thing new is the name and the graphics engine.  The rest seem thoroughly familiar, and while people are nostalgic there is a clear reason why they aren't all still playing that other game right now...

I can't give my money to them, because the game now seems like something I'm just no longer interested in playing, despite having countless great things to say about my time in EQ (though that had more to do with the people I played with than the game itself, and I'm sure that applies to many others as well).
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664

ragz45 said:

I was ready to drop $100 after the stream today, thinking that it was a pretty decent pledge.  Then I look at the pledge page, and it's one of the lowest packages there is.  Packages range from 50, 100, 150, 250, 300, 500, 1k+.  This isn't really unusual among kickstarters, but what got me was what was offered at the different tiers, and then on top of that, what the most popular tier was.  $1,000 being the most popular pledge tier.

For 1 grand or more, you don't even get a lifetime sub, you get 6 months.  Not only can I not help but wonder who's got a grand to drop on a game that's still in alpha, but I'm astounded by the fact that this is the most popular pledge tier.  Maybe I'm just old, but I can remember when you bought a game for $50-60  and then had a $15 sub on top of that, and that was all.  Now we're expected to drop a grand on a game that's still in development, in the hopes that we like the end product?

I mean, assuming $15 a month for a sub, and a $60 box price.  It would take me 5 years to pay a grand in box+ sub fees.  And people are dropping a grand left and right on this game?  I really don't understand what gamer culture has come to if this is the case.  The microtransaction shops that infest games are bad enough (can remember when games supported themselves on subs alone), but this is just crazy.

As much as I really enjoyed the stream, and really admire what Visionary Realms is doing, I would have to be insane to drop a grand on the game instead of putting that money in my child's college fund, or my own retirement fund.  I understand that VR is trying to make the game without having to cow down to suits telling them what to do, and that's why they are seeking crowdfunding, but at this point it just feels like rape.  Maybe if we got to see some dividend returns after the game is released and making money, making the pledges more of an investment in something you believe in.  But as it is now, it just feels like Brad and team are just going to be laughing all the way to the bank once the game is released.  

And, yes I know, "If i don't like it, don't pledge".  But that's the real rub, I do like it, and I wanted to pledge something.  But at this point it feels like if i'm not pledging a grand, I may as well just not pledge at all.

Sooo you like the game, want to pledge... But because other people are putting in more money you don't want to pledge anymore? Kind of confused by this really. If you like it, pledge what you want, if you don't, then you don't put money in. Ill be playing this at launch but wont pledge anything, just a personal choice, if I did decide to pledge I wouldn't be offended that someone else put up more money.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited April 2017
    I like that people pay to beta test a game. They are more apt to look for issues and complain if the game sucks so I know if I should buy it after launch. Saves me from wasting my money in the end, and that is all that maters to me lol.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter