Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is WoW seriously still king in 2017?

Comments

• ConsuetudoConsuetudo Member UncommonPosts: 191
    For the people who say "it is not king to me," what is then? Final Fantasy? ESO? Is there some secret I'm missing?
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    WoW still carries the most weight in media coverage, exposure to masses, and hype...so yes I would say it is still king.  Just cause you do not like the king does not make him not the king.  There is no "Not my President" in reality.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Horusra said:

WoW still carries the most weight in media coverage, exposure to masses, and hype...so yes I would say it is still king.  Just cause you do not like the king does not make him not the king.  There is no "Not my President" in reality.

I don't know, ESO gives them a pretty good run as far as exposure and coverage goes in mainstream press, I rarely see WOW talked about on sites like IGN as an example. ESO also has a cross platform advantage there though. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
     The king seems to be dying a long slow death.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DrDread74DrDread74 Member UncommonPosts: 308

Holy crap, what an absolutely stale genre. What is it going to take for something good to come along? 

Perhaps... and hear me out... PERHAPS, WoW is the best incarnation of an MMO in the world and is why it is still king. Much like Wal Mart is still the king and so is Candy Crush, Clash of Clans.

World of Warcraft has what people want, and more importantly, what people are willing to pay for and where they want to spend their time. You complain about all the Pay 2 Win Free MMOs "taking over" but none of them apparently are the king. The king is using lower ball cartoony graphics, simple and casual gameplay mechanics and a buy to play plus subscription model. Perhaps that is the best recipe for an enjoyable game that appeals to just about everyone, not just the twitch action explosive Graphical effect, free to play cosmetic shop 12 yr olds in illegally sexual outfits shooting bazookas at 100 foot demons.

http://baronsofthegalaxy.com/
     An MMO game I created, solo. It's live now and absolutely free to play!
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

For the people who say "it is not king to me," what is then? Final Fantasy? ESO? Is there some secret I'm missing?

Well, I think it's kind of silly to talk about any type of media title as being "king", but for me I suppose the de facto king would be Vendetta Online.  I've played it more than any other video game by a wide margin, probably an order of magnitude.

This is the game I was playing before WoW released, and continued playing long after I lost interest in WoW.  Important to note that it's not because I think it's any better or worse than any other MMORPG; it just has a particular set of qualities I appreciate and enjoy.

People sometimes call it an Eve-clone, but it's not.  It's not at all, really.  More like Eve's lesser known cousin.  Here's a post on VO's message board when Eve released, comparing the two games.

I like it because... well... it's fun to play (sorry @Kyleran).  I played this morning at a Starbucks on mobile while waiting for an appointment.  It runs in virtual reality.  It rewards skill over vertical progression.

There's a number of reasons to praise it, but I find the less I go on about it and the more I let people discover it on their own the better.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

Nice to see that in 2017 same posters are making same posts for almost a decade when it comes to WOW. The amount of faith in these so called indie devs which come and go like a fart in the wind is really commendable. 10/10 for dedication

Wows position in the market likely has more to do with the sad state of the market than anything else.  You know you have to have pretty crappy design concept to be completely unable to compete with a game working on it's 2nd decade with an engine older than some posters here during an era where new/flashy graphics are king.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Legion pretty much killed any further interest WoW had for me, but, grandson loves the game, beats me why, maybe its just a 'younger' generation thing.O.o
  • ConsuetudoConsuetudo Member UncommonPosts: 191

DrDread74 said:

Holy crap, what an absolutely stale genre. What is it going to take for something good to come along? 

Perhaps... and hear me out... PERHAPS, WoW is the best incarnation of an MMO in the world and is why it is still king. Much like Wal Mart is still the king and so is Candy Crush, Clash of Clans.

World of Warcraft has what people want, and more importantly, what people are willing to pay for and where they want to spend their time. You complain about all the Pay 2 Win Free MMOs "taking over" but none of them apparently are the king. The king is using lower ball cartoony graphics, simple and casual gameplay mechanics and a buy to play plus subscription model. Perhaps that is the best recipe for an enjoyable game that appeals to just about everyone, not just the twitch action explosive Graphical effect, free to play cosmetic shop 12 yr olds in illegally sexual outfits shooting bazookas at 100 foot demons.

That's not true though, WoW is such a lacking game in my opinion but..what else is there? ESO bored me to death. 

Phry said:

Legion pretty much killed any further interest WoW had for me, but, grandson loves the game, beats me why, maybe its just a 'younger' generation thing.O.o

Maybe you are too old to understand =) .  My grandma could not understand why people like movies over radio or live stage.  She said it was a kid thing also.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072

DrDread74 said:

That's not true though, WoW is such a lacking game in my opinion but..what else is there? ESO bored me to death. 

You've had at least 2 other answers ITT so far.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I still play WoW. There are surely things about it to criticize, but it has loads and loads of content. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Distopia said:

Horusra said:

I don't know, ESO gives them a pretty good run as far as exposure and coverage goes in mainstream press, I rarely see WOW talked about on sites like IGN as an example. ESO also has a cross platform advantage there though. 

I did not say "press"...media is larger than gaming sites.  I have not seen ESO in modern pop culture stuff.  WoW still creeps in.  People that do not even play games know WoW, I wonder how many know Elder Scrolls.  To be King you need exposure, relevancy, and numbers (users and profits).  With those things your game is on top and other companies model parts of their stuff to you or compare themselves to you.  When they stop doing that then you are no longer king.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited April 2017

Horusra said:

I did not say "press"...media is larger than gaming sites.  I have not seen ESO in modern pop culture stuff.  WoW still creeps in.  People that do not even play games know WoW, I wonder how many know Elder Scrolls.  To be King you need exposure, relevancy, and numbers (users and profits).  With those things your game is on top and other companies model parts of their stuff to you or compare themselves to you.  When they stop doing that then you are no longer king.

I'm not making a case that ESO has escaped the bounds of the gaming sphere, just that within it, it's gaining massive traction, I'd shy away from calling anything king though, that kind of thing is too subjective for me. To MMO gamers and press games like ESO have just as much relevancy as WOW, if not a little more due to having that cross platform presence, which is normal as they're newer fresher products as well. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766

Horusra said:

Distopia said:

Horusra said:

developers have not modeled their games  on WoW for quite some time now. . .

Black Desert
    Blade and Soul
    GuildWars 2
    Tera
    Elder Scrolls Online

Indeed the last game that tried to emulate "the King" failed hard.  

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Kyleran said:

deniter said:

YashaX said:

One mmo to rule them all ....

...and in the darkness bind them.

Hopefully the small "fellowship" of indie devs can end the curse once and for all. 

Though so far "Sauron" (WOW) seems to continue to maintain it's great edge.  ;)

Nice to see that in 2017 same posters are making same posts for almost a decade when it comes to WOW. The amount of faith in these so called indie devs which come and go like a fart in the wind is really commendable. 10/10 for dedication

No one will ever call me inconsistent.

In fact it was my dislike of WOW and its clones that first brought me to this site, looking for something different.

It worked, I found EVE....longest running MMORPG for me.

Though having a great time on a classic DAOC server these days...

These two are my favorite MMORPGs.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

At this point, I'd say The End of Days™... ^^  Lets face it, WoW is going to be with us for a long, long time.  For millions of players its what they want, so thats what they get.

I finally burned out, after I managed to get two of my characters to 110.  The artifact grind is just WAY too much for me.  But some people like that. To each their own.

From what I'm seeing, the future isn't so much MMO, as it is various types of hybrids. Its going to be interesting watching things develop over the next five to ten years.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    Yes WOW is still the "King" or #1 with subs and the money it continues to make. Personal preference aside, just because someone don't like or don't prefer WOW for whatever reason doesn't mean that it isn't the #1 MMO. That *is* reality until something else comes along which I doubt will anytime soon. 

***After returning to Azeroth after a time away, Jaina Proudmoore and Tyrande begin a long protracted duel for the affections of the Raving Rabbid!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

sayuu said:

Horusra said:

Distopia said:

Horusra said:

developers have not modeled their games  on WoW for quite some time now. . .

Black Desert
    Blade and Soul
    GuildWars 2
    Tera
    Elder Scrolls Online

Indeed the last game that tried to emulate "the King" failed hard.  

This is my thinking pretty much, WoW was the game devs followed and tried to be like, nowadays companies don't.

WoW was once a king, but it just seems like another MMO imho. It is well known as it got so much exposure over the years, south park, TV adverts, etc and had a lot of subs (not sure anymore due to no more numbers), but these days wouldn't say it's king. Not a bad game to say the least, but doesn't seem to do anything drastically better than other games to make it stand out imho
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064

DMKano said:

IceAge said:

Herase said:

Depends what you mean by "King"? It has a lot of subs, but other than that, there are other games I would say are miles better than WoW.

Care to share that other games which are...MILES!! better then WoW ? MMO"s only please .. 

It's opinion don't you understand that it's different for everyone?

Chocolate is miles better than vanilla *for me*

You seriously want to argue personal preference?

How many times has someone said this to you on this forum? I remember distinctively having to tell you this myself. Just.....funny.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Do they even release sub numbers anymore? Is it still the highest pop game in NA/EU?

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I would like to see the demographics for WoW.  Population might take a big drop when the player base start hitting their seventies, unless of course their kids and grandkids take over their accounts.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
       Short answer ...............yes.....

And it will remain there , and push the genre forward when they give you Wow in VR , in 2018
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    I was really sad when Blizzard pulled the plug on its new game. 
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited April 2017
    WoW has a loop that hardly dies when it comes to its player base, it's something special by itself.

I think they could stop updates or expansions to WoW and it would likely still keep on the top for years and years to come.