Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please have a good percentage of solo content.

1235»

Comments

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Avanah said:
    If you want to solo, try World of Warcraft.
    Pantheon is looking to go back to the roots of EQ, but with better graphics and gameplay.
    And grouping was a major draw as it should be.

Even EQ allowed for soloing, though certain classes were certainly better at it than others.

I just hope that Pantheon allows for emergent play, like EQ. Where players develop unintended uses for class abilities that the developers adopt and add onto, rather than deliberately nerfing everything. E.g. kiting, root rotting, FD pulling, etc.

I don't want to be forced into a single style of gameplay be deliberate mechanical changes. I want a system like EQ where many different styles of play are possible, even it not all of them were originally intended.

jimmywolf

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• NimrylNimryl Member UncommonPosts: 19
    edited May 2017
    Edit: For the OP.

Oh look another "You must have solo content to succeed" thread.

Yes, you're right to a degree but also wrong; those people (convenience based solo'ers aka the majority) have been catered for pretty much the last decade. We (our game-style) have waited patiently for this type of game for years. The problem is.. it conflicts with the games ideology/vision..  so no matter how hard you scream, moan, shout and well you're intentions are.. they shouldn't listen. Why? Because that isn't what Pantheons meant to be about. Games are a vision; too many visions and it starts to conflict and ruin the game.

The markets saturated with these types of games both ONLINE and OFFLINE. There are plenty out there. There are also artistic and creative reasons why they shouldn't either.. (which I won't get into in this thread aka Standisation).

I'm glad Visionary Realms is doing it.. and doing it right. You don't need to have solo content (to that extent) if you're niche and that's what this game is.
    Post edited by Nimryl on
    kardiac82
  • svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,223
    from the stream:
    "if you log in and your friends arent on there will always be something you can do solo".

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,182
    edited May 2017
    k61977 said:
      Sure there should be some things to do when you don't feel like grouping but you shouldn't expect to be able to do much in reality.  Maybe go out gathering, etc....but no questing ect...should be for soloing.
    Gathering is your idea of content in a loot driven game? Good luck with that... 

IF there's no real character progression available for solo play, there's no solo play.  The whole point in solo play is to be able to accomplish something with your character alone. Not just picking up plants or visiting a vendor.

I can see limiting those options, but doing away with them totally isn't a sound business strategy IMO. As that means you can only accomplish something with Pugs(uhg) or with friends, meaning you might as well log out if your friends aren't on.  Especially if there is loss in death which puts pugs out of the question. I'm certainly not gonna pug with people I have no idea how they play, when their mistakes could cost me XP, lvls or items. 
    Torval

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,642
    Nanfoodle said:

Torval said:

Yeah, it's easier to do a single character manually. You can do it without addons too. But hardcore players use both. My point being more than boxers use macros. Lots of people use them. It hardly seems fair to single out boxers.

People using macros and caught by their systems that sniff that out. By watching key stokes and how they differ. Will get a ban and its one you cant get overturned if your defense is you were using a gaming keyboard. Kilsins words on the official forums. 
    Good info I missed Nan. That actually may be a deal breaker for me. I like to macro common tasks to my mouse and keyboard. It's one of the few advantages of PC gaming.

Being able to macro common tasks is important to me like mounting, etc. I sometimes like to put some skills or combos on my mouse.
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,223
    Torval said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Torval said:

Yeah, it's easier to do a single character manually. You can do it without addons too. But hardcore players use both. My point being more than boxers use macros. Lots of people use them. It hardly seems fair to single out boxers.

People using macros and caught by their systems that sniff that out. By watching key stokes and how they differ. Will get a ban and its one you cant get overturned if your defense is you were using a gaming keyboard. Kilsins words on the official forums. 
    Good info I missed Nan. That actually may be a deal breaker for me. I like to macro common tasks to my mouse and keyboard. It's one of the few advantages of PC gaming.

Being able to macro common tasks is important to me like mounting, etc. I sometimes like to put some skills or combos on my mouse.
    Normal macros wont get you banned. 
    We were discussing boxxing and macros that send commands to multiple characters.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,027

Iselin said:

Since this is the same OP who has been predicting that Pantheon will be a huge hit with 100s of thousands or millions playing it, this thread to me reads like he just had an "oh shit" moment when he finally figured out there's not a hope in hell of mass appeal without a large dose of supported solo content, not just some token tolerance of it.

Hence his plea for a "good percentage." After all, his prediction of humongous player numbers is at stake.

I have to say you have me between a rock and a hard place.

I'm not squirming out of my predictions by saying this, because I still think it will be HUGE, in fact most everyone, partly because we didn't have an mmo in a long time and were millions strong.  Add that even the hundreds of fake mmos are Cash Grabs.

I will say the " stigma " developers are putting out will chase a percentage away. There putting out vibes that the players can never be alone....... Sure I'm exaggerating, but not by much !   
    The next mmo that is going to be huge is something like Destiny 2.  Not a niche mmo.  That ship has sailed.  The sooner you grasp this reality, the quicker you can get back to enjoying Pantheon.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 20,642
    edited May 2017
    svann said:
    Torval said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Torval said:

Normal macros wont get you banned. 
    We were discussing boxxing and macros that send commands to multiple characters.
    I dunno dude. That isn't what it sounds like to me from his post though. I know we were discussing multibox but from that post I got the impression that they've got analytics in place to detect scripted input of any kind. Script input is scripted input single client or multiple.

If that sort of thing is heavily frowned on then I won't try and test the limits of the system. I've never been into doing that in my mmos. I play by the rules because it's more fun that way for me.
    MrMelGibson
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member UncommonPosts: 599
    edited May 2017
    DMKano said:

DMKano said: *snip*
    *snip*
    Umm are you seriulously calling me a troll?

may I point out that you just compared Pantheon (a return to social classic MMORPG like EQ1)

to

WoW - the biggest themepark of all time

Are you for real?

Did you even read your own OP?

A lot of time has passed. Vanilla WoW is no longer just a "themepark". Vanilla WoW doesn't exist, except on emulator servers or in rare cases like hte buggy Alganon MMO. And Alganon is extremely unpopular. Vanilla WoW, compared to today's modern MMO's, is hardcore. It was a lot like EQ1. Only difference was soloing was a bit easier and death penalty was far lower. One of the major reasons many players hated it, including myself, was also the cartoony look of its world.

The point is we're at a stage now where Vanilla WoW is badass hardcore.

*shakes head*

I know some of the changes in MMO's are good, but lets not kid ourselves. Many of those chnages were made to reel in millions of new gamers. It HAS been casualized--or dumbed dwon depending on what you think is dumb.

For example, the popular in-game map with GPS and all quest markers shown? Including an in-game radar? Also glowing paths and glowing NPCs, in case you're retarded. Those're considered modern features. If a MMORPG doesn't have them it's obsoleted, according to this thinking. Problem is, Ultima ONline in 1999 had almost the exact same thing, minus a huge map and fanciness and quest markers. Everquest, by comparison, shipped with NO map or radar. I myself still do not like radars or map GPS or quest markers or anything automatic. To me it dumbs it down. To others, GPS and radar and markers make it bearable to play and they think it's smarter.

I also don't like fast travel. Moreso, I like MMORPGs where everybody lives under teh same rules. In MMORPGs where these things are options, it tends to favor the hand holding and other players expect you to use the hand holding. End result? I derive more enjoyment playing an MMORPG where it's not an option.

It really depends who you ask regarding what's dumb and what isn't. What we consider dumb also depends on our mood and what we want to play. Sometimes I WANT to play a more casual action-packed game, for example. I may also want a masochist PvP MMORPG with yuuge death penalty and slow travel and NO automation and ONLY first person and dangerous  environment will make you CRY. I like options in what I choose to play. I don't like every MMO to be a clone of the other.

God firbid everything is a clone. /suicide.

For Pantheon, I hope it finds an inbetween. It's not smallscale enough to be extreme. Yes I like extreme now and then. Currently, Wurm Online scratches that itch. I hope Pantheon is AT LEAST like Vanilla WoW, but it needs to be more than that to succeed. It definitely is not going to appeal to the mass audience, since I don't think that's its intention and it has indicated that much. Here again, what's niche (or indie) today is probbly carebear 15 years ago, so don't expect Pantheon to be EQ1 1999. Hate to say it, but there're very few options for extreme MMO's. Wurm Online. Maybe Mortal Online. Project 1999 is another. Pantheon has too much behind it to go extreme like that.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • NimrylNimryl Member UncommonPosts: 19
    edited May 2017
    (delete me.)
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

Iselin said:

Since this is the same OP who has been predicting that Pantheon will be a huge hit with 100s of thousands or millions playing it, this thread to me reads like he just had an "oh shit" moment when he finally figured out there's not a hope in hell of mass appeal without a large dose of supported solo content, not just some token tolerance of it.

Hence his plea for a "good percentage." After all, his prediction of humongous player numbers is at stake.

I have to say you have me between a rock and a hard place.

I'm not squirming out of my predictions by saying this, because I still think it will be HUGE, in fact most everyone, partly because we didn't have an mmo in a long time and were millions strong.  Add that even the hundreds of fake mmos are Cash Grabs.

I will say the " stigma " developers are putting out will chase a percentage away. There putting out vibes that the players can never be alone....... Sure I'm exaggerating, but not by much !   
    The next mmo that is going to be huge is something like Destiny 2.  Not a niche mmo.  That ship has sailed.  The sooner you grasp this reality, the quicker you can get back to enjoying Pantheon.

I'm not hoping for, and don't want, HUGE.

I just want a large enough niche to keep the game going with regular content updates.

svanndcutbi001

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• WarlyxWarlyx Member RarePosts: 3,085
    nothing wrong with challenging solo gameplay , some solo dungeons in the past has been TONS of fun.