Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Metropolis and Kickstarter Revealed - Ashes of Creation - MMORPG.com

Comments

• PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    Another Kickstarter game I have to back.
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

How can you back a game before you even get detailed info on classes and combat direction? 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Nanfoodle said:

How can you back a game before you even get detailed info on classes and combat direction? 

Shhhh, kickstarter history proves there's a solid segment of people who are likely to pledge more the less they know. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Nanfoodle said:

Kickstarter is like a box of Chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    It looks amazing so far and I'm looking forward to being able to finally being able to give you my money so I can play this beautiful game in all its Glory when it's released (Orin Alpha/Beta if it's offered via KS).
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    edited April 2017
    It will all boil down to how ready the systems envisioned are. I hope that, because there are quite a few ex-EQN devs in the team, they will have some aces up their sleeves bringing with them the knowledge and/or code that was being developed for EQN (and which should have been at an advanced development stage by the time DB shut it down). I hope.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800

Nanfoodle said:

I'm thinking they're going to have to dump a bit more information about that come May 1st.  At least they will have to for me.  My biggest concern on their 'vision' is how they will handle PVP with all those people.  Major companies have tried and failed miserably to give a quality experience past 60+ people in one area. Seriously that whole siege thing just does not seem realistic.  It gave me the biggest "okay these guys are full of it and lying or worse don't realize just how unrealistic their plans are."  Maybe I'm wrong (I hope I am,) but I'm pulling from all the crowd funded games before it and looking at it with those eyes.  These people promise things and say it's a 'plan.'  Then they talk about things that couldn't have been foreseen, as far as problems go.  When every player that's been dealing with this crap for years could have told them that.  Nah.  They need to go into full detail how they're going to handle hundreds of people in one area sieging a Metropolis without crashing a server.  

Also they're giving a little bit of a mixed message.  Is this a PVP game?  Or is it a quasi RVR game with PVE focus?  Is it a sandbox crafting game?  Or is that busy work to accomplish an end goal? (triggering PVE content and then triggering PVP content.)

I am concerned that yet again you have a bunch of people going to do something 'different' that has never been done before, only to get into the thick of it and find it much harder to execute.  Worse yet is if they don't have the talent to even get close to what they're shooting to accomplish.  This honestly has been the major issue with all of these indie funded games.

Galadourn said:

It will all boil down to how ready the systems envisioned are. I hope that, because there are quite a few ex-EQN devs in the team, they will have some aces up their sleeves bringing with them the knowledge and/or code that was being developed for EQN (and which should have been at an advanced development stage by the time DB shut it down). I hope.

EQN failed because the code failed. Both Storybricks and their world engine. They could not get anything to work as a cohesive game. If there was anything to salvage DB would already be using it somehow.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

Galadourn said:

Pretty sure bringing the code from EQN to another game would be illegal, and result in a big lawsuit. Not sure why you would hope for such a thing...
    --------------------------------------------

Also they're giving a little bit of a mixed message.  Is this a PVP game?  Or is it a quasi RVR game with PVE focus?  Is it a sandbox crafting game?  Or is that busy work to accomplish an end goal? (triggering PVE content and then triggering PVP content.)

It's Kickstarter... so the answer is YES to all of the above, as well as any other thing you may desire in your dream game.  The beauty of Kickstarter is that it allows you to project your hopes and dreams on a semi blank canvas.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Slapshot1188 said:

The beauty of Kickstarter is that it allows you to project your hopes and dreams on a semi blank canvas.

You and the 10,000 other people projecting their hopes and dreams on that very same canvas, which may or may not be the same hopes and dreams as yours.

Care to wager a guess on who's paint winds up on the canvas?

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266

rodarin said:

A+ for dreaming up ways to get people excited. F- for likely ability to come close to delivering any of it.

Basically trying to reinvent 'dynamic' events that GW 2 also promised would be new and exciting and were a complete fail.

Unless there is a 100% chance that these settlements can and will fail then its a big bunch of nothing. There must be some event that is possible (more than one really) that cannot be defeated by the players and thus basically restarts that node or shard or whatever it is all over again. And whatever 'conquering' force that took down the node should require a MASSIVE effort to defeat, since DEFENDING against it failed. Obviously proactively taking it out should be harder. Something that would require more people perhaps than the whole server even has on it.

ANY MMO that wants to actually be innovative these days has to include FAILURE. No MMO these days has that in it. Wiping a raid or on a boss or losing some hot spot in PvP isnt failure. Especially when you can just rez and start all over again.

But no one likes to fail and lose things thats why MMOs are dead and have been for awhile. because there are no real MMOs anymore just single player games you play on a public server.

Might want to read up a bit before going on a rant.

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/a-reactive-world-nodes/

I'd also like to point out that post is from January 2nd.
    edited April 2017

Nanfoodle said:

There's a ton of  information on the game if you go looking for it. Mostly on the website and forums but also on the discord. 

I'll just take from the Discord FAQ here:

How many playable races and classes will there be?
    There will be 8 playable races and 8 playable classes on release. The classes are Tank, Fighter, Summoner, Rogue, Ranger, Mage, Cleric, and Bard. The confirmed races are Dwarves, Orcs, 2 Elven races, 2 Human races. The 2 remaining races are unknown. You may select one of the 8 races for your class. The classes will not be gender locked. 

What is the Combat system like?
    It is a hybrid between Tab-target and Action Combat. The combat is going to be a combination of targeting method and positional mechanics that will dictate and determine the ability of skills to land and the efficacy of those skills. Included in the plans for combat is fluid chain attacks and animation cancels. 
    You pick two classes, primary and secondary. There are a few videos out showing early combat but I honestly hope it changes. I want more action combat stuff.
    edited April 2017

Nanfoodle said:

I'm thinking they're going to have to dump a bit more information about that come May 1st.  At least they will have to for me.  My biggest concern on their 'vision' is how they will handle PVP with all those people.  Major companies have tried and failed miserably to give a quality experience past 60+ people in one area. Seriously that whole siege thing just does not seem realistic.  It gave me the biggest "okay these guys are full of it and lying or worse don't realize just how unrealistic their plans are."  Maybe I'm wrong (I hope I am,) but I'm pulling from all the crowd funded games before it and looking at it with those eyes.  These people promise things and say it's a 'plan.'  Then they talk about things that couldn't have been foreseen, as far as problems go.  When every player that's been dealing with this crap for years could have told them that.  Nah.  They need to go into full detail how they're going to handle hundreds of people in one area sieging a Metropolis without crashing a server.  

I am concerned that yet again you have a bunch of people going to do something 'different' that has never been done before, only to get into the thick of it and find it much harder to execute.  Worse yet is if they don't have the talent to even get close to what they're shooting to accomplish.  This honestly has been the major issue with all of these indie funded games.

Not really a mixed message. I'd say the game is more along the lines of an ArcheAge or Black Desert. Lots of open world sandboxy content but with themepark elements, including things like instances and raids. Although the instanced PvE is of course dependent on the node where it exists being developed, so one server may have a particular dungeon and another won't, etc. 

Here's the Discord FAQ answer to the PvE or PvP question:

Is the game PVE or PVP based?

Ashes of Creation will feature content for both playstyles. PvE and PvP players will have a place in Ashes and will contribute to the development of the world. However, you, the players, do not need to be part of the PVP in order to progress. You'll be able to focus on crafting, gathering, city building, farming, animal husbandry, home building, raiding and much more!
    It all boils down to what the community wants to do on any particular server. You might have some casual folks building up a couple towns on one end of the map so they can just play with housing, farming, etc., while some more hardcore PvE folks will be working to discover and maintain nodes for some instances, while some PvP guilds will be building bigger cities so they can siege each other and also flagging regularly in their neck of the woods to fight against each other. It's up to you what goals you have, but the nodes will be the central part of how everything works. The nodes also mean that everything is more community focused since node development is dictated by community gameplay choices so if you want to get anywhere cool you have to focus and work together in an area, but it also means the world is always changing and thus different servers will likely look and play differently as well. So perhaps just an evolution of the sandpark style game we've seen recently. 

Leiloni said:

Nanfoodle said:

Not really a mixed message. I'd say the game is more along the lines of an ArcheAge or Black Desert. Lots of open world sandboxy content but with themepark elements, including things like instances and raids. Although the instanced PvE is of course dependent on the node where it exists being developed, so one server may have a particular dungeon and another won't, etc. 

Ashes of Creation will feature content for both playstyles. PvE and PvP players will have a place in Ashes and will contribute to the development of the world. However, you, the players, do not need to be part of the PVP in order to progress. You'll be able to focus on crafting, gathering, city building, farming, animal husbandry, home building, raiding and much more!
    It all boils down to what the community wants to do on any particular server. You might have some casual folks building up a couple towns on one end of the map so they can just play with housing, farming, etc., while some more hardcore PvE folks will be working to discover and maintain nodes for some instances, while some PvP guilds will be building bigger cities so they can siege each other and also flagging regularly in their neck of the woods to fight against each other. It's up to you what goals you have, but the nodes will be the central part of how everything works. The nodes also mean that everything is more community focused since node development is dictated by community gameplay choices so if you want to get anywhere cool you have to focus and work together in an area, but it also means the world is always changing and thus different servers will likely look and play differently as well. So perhaps just an evolution of the sandpark style game we've seen recently. 

You do realize that not needing to be part of the PVP to progress does not necessarily mean players will be able to totally avoid PVP. (your examples of AA and BDO being cases in point)

The same can be said about EVE, yet PVP finds its way to most players at some point.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Leiloni said:

Nanfoodle said:

There's a ton of  information on the game if you go looking for it. Mostly on the website and forums but also on the discord. 

There will be 8 playable races and 8 playable classes on release. The classes are Tank, Fighter, Summoner, Rogue, Ranger, Mage, Cleric, and Bard. The confirmed races are Dwarves, Orcs, 2 Elven races, 2 Human races. The 2 remaining races are unknown. You may select one of the 8 races for your class. The classes will not be gender locked. 

It is a hybrid between Tab-target and Action Combat. The combat is going to be a combination of targeting method and positional mechanics that will dictate and determine the ability of skills to land and the efficacy of those skills. Included in the plans for combat is fluid chain attacks and animation cancels. 
    You pick two classes, primary and secondary. There are a few videos out showing early combat but I honestly hope it changes. I want more action combat stuff.

He did ask for "detailed" info, not an outline.....

Oh, that's right, see their website/Discord....all will be answered.  ;)

Slapshot1188 said:

The beauty of Kickstarter is that it allows you to project your hopes and dreams on a semi blank canvas.

You and the 10,000 other people projecting their hopes and dreams on that very same canvas, which may or may not be the same hopes and dreams as yours.

Care to wager a guess on who's paint winds up on the canvas?

?
    Think you missunderstood my post.

Nanfoodle said:

Galadourn said:

EQN failed because the code failed. Both Storybricks and their world engine. They could not get anything to work as a cohesive game. If there was anything to salvage DB would already be using it somehow.

ahem... I'm not talking about the whole platform of EQN, but a lot of work had been done on certain aspects of the game like character development system, etc.

The AI probably failed to work as intended, but it was too big in scope.

DB would not spend a donkey's toss (both money and time) on game development, they will just milk the existing ones until they find something else to invest in.

Galadourn said:

Pretty sure bringing the code from EQN to another game would be illegal, and result in a big lawsuit. Not sure why you would hope for such a thing...

You can't use the existing code, of course, but if another company hires the engineers that worked on that code then you could develop it anew on a different platform.

EQN did not use Unreal 4, so I'm pretty sure that if you implement the same features there no one can accuse you of anything. The code will not be the same.

Leiloni said:

Nanfoodle said:

This is very general statements. They went into detail about their node system. I will need as much detail about combat and classes before they get a red cent. 

Kyleran said:

Leiloni said:

Nanfoodle said:

You do realize that not needing to be part of the PVP to progress does not necessarily mean players will be able to totally avoid PVP. (your examples of AA and BDO being cases in point)

The same can be said about EVE, yet PVP finds its way to most players at some point.

I think BDO is a great case in point. Unwanted PvP is rare and easily avoided. You really only see unwanted PvP if you're in a highly populated farm spot alone. Either go in groups or avoid the most popular spot by changing channels or changing spots. Most of the time the only PvP you see is GvG and Sieges. So yea good example because most players are able to do their own thing with little to no unwanted activity.

Leiloni said:

Kyleran said:

Leiloni said:

Nanfoodle said:

I think BDO is a great case in point. Unwanted PvP is rare and easily avoided. You really only see unwanted PvP if you're in a highly populated farm spot alone. Either go in groups or avoid the most popular spot by changing channels or changing spots. Most of the time the only PvP you see is GvG and Sieges. So yea good example because most players are able to do their own thing with little to no unwanted activity.

Most of the time is not the same as never, which is some players requirement.

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611

Leiloni said:

Whats the difference? Thats LITERALLY the exact same thing in written form as the video says. None of which addressed anything I said.

Bottom line is if the world id empty none of the 'dynamic' plans come to fruition. Or if the nodes start to empty out as peopel move around and a node with a metropolis starts getting attacked by NPCs mobs and no one is around to protect it it should be destroyed by NPCs. I didnt see anything like that mentioned, only that other players can destroy nodes.

Hey if they can do it great, but the more I see from these games that promise everything every mMO player dreams of the more its all noise.

rodarin said:

Leiloni said:

Whats the difference? Thats LITERALLY the exact same thing in written form as the video says. None of which addressed anything I said.

Bottom line is if the world id empty none of the 'dynamic' plans come to fruition. Or if the nodes start to empty out as peopel move around and a node with a metropolis starts getting attacked by NPCs mobs and no one is around to protect it it should be destroyed by NPCs. I didnt see anything like that mentioned, only that other players can destroy nodes.

Hey if they can do it great, but the more I see from these games that promise everything every mMO player dreams of the more its all noise.

You mean like the Balaur in Aion?
    edited April 2017
    Also for anyone interested, with doubts, or just curious, they will be streaming three days a week for the duration of the Kickstarter. Steve Sharif posted this in the Discord today that "We will be doing live streams every Monday, Wednesday and Friday during the Kickstarter." Their channel is Twitch.tv/AshesofCreation.