Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : My Dream MMO - Story - TheHiveLeader

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Kyleran said:

Scorchien said:

Kyleran said:

Apparently has never played EVE.

or UO ...... Dont know why i even watched that , usually avoid his vids...

Or maybe I've played both of these games (which I have and have referenced several times in several videos) and like the way they handled their story and lore. Hence I would do something similar My Dream MMO.

Should have mentioned you played them before as reference points in this video.

Never assume your audience has seen your past work.  Appears neither @Scorchien or me have seen much if it. (I generally don't watch video content, prefer to read about games.)

But if I use those as reference points, I'm then assuming people have played those games. To me it just makes more sense to use NO reference points and just explain what I'm looking for. That way I don't have to assume people have played anything.

Well you did reference Minecraft I think, and as what you were asking for basically exists in several games now it makes more sense (to me) for you to reference them.  

Very likely your target audience has at least heard of them or could do some research if not.

But it is "the Hiveleader Show" and not "Kyle's Cranky Corner" so present it the way you wish.

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Yup. Really, really, really bored of The One story lines. I simply never, ever read them anymore. If there's a skip, I skip. I already know something unusual happened to me. I already known I was specially saved for my mission. I already know my mission is saving the world. See? Done in three sentences.

Now, let me go find those rats for you.
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Really like your vids hive, it's good stuff. The ashes of creation node system sounds like a story type that has been long coming, hoping it makes to live.
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

DMKano said:

Forced story telling is just a big turnoff for me in MMOs, let the players tell the stories about the game instead

You have more faith in the typical MMO player's ability to contribute to a game world with things related to that game world. I might have bought that as a possibility 15 or 20 years when people still knew what "(OOC)" stood for.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I love a good story, MMORPG's are not the greatest places to get them. Virtual worlds are my main draw to the genre.

Worlds have history, lore is important.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited April 2017

DMKano said:

Iselin said:

DMKano said:

Forced story telling is just a big turnoff for me in MMOs, let the players tell the stories about the game instead

You have more faith in the typical MMO player's ability to contribute to a game world with things related to that game world. I might have bought that as a possibility 15 or 20 years when people still knew what "(OOC)" stood for.

Its not faith, its just what already happens - players talk in game already about everything.

So letting players come up with whatever narrative they want for some event that happens in game without any developer made backstory - why not?

I already make up my own lore and narrative in most games - like for example I made up that ArcheAge is about a lost pet, because i dont know nor care what the actual story in game is, completely irrelevant to me.

EQ1 was a pissing contest between players over pixel loot, IMO a better story than whatever the devs were trying to come up with.... etc

and the beauty of this, anyone can come up with their own story about the same game, they dont have to match at all. 

Unlike devs cramming the story and your place in it with every NPC and every quest...
    . yeah no thanks.

Does it even matter to you if no one else who plays Archeage thinks its about a lost pet? Sounds like you just like to make up solo stories for yourself in multiplayer games and everyone else can do the same... I'm not seeing that as the beauty of anything.

It's more like you don't give a shit about consensual group lore - you're just in it for yourself and the gamey parts.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Hariken said:

Was thinking the same thing. Anarchy Online was so like this back in the day. You just had to chose a faction and the lore of the faction was the story. Man i might just have to suck it up and play it again for free on steam.

Why hurdle yourself with steam, you can play it for free without steam too :wink: 

(but have to add, AO's f2p is not really friendly, even after the mild revamps... If you just want to play around for old time's sake, stay for a few months, it might be enough - but if you want more than that, you will be heavily handicapped without a sub.)