Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Short video ad for Pantheon's upcoming dev stream - Sneak peek of Monk combat

12346»

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 9,095
    There is no MMO savior but there is a giant hole in the current MMO scene. Modern MMO (past 10 years) has been mostly Twitch combat. The very few MMOs that have not been that, the classes are often generic DPS with slight variance of play styles and the CC dynamic has been removed. 

To try and pull in more players to get a bigger pay day MMOs have become more and more about solo play. Often people getting to end game never having to talk to or join another person in a teamed environment. 

What has this lead to, attrition in end game. Many MMO hoppers solo happy as a pig in poop till they are presented with a new game at top level. One where they have no bonds of friendships and required to now team. IMO that's why MMOs lose a large % of players 3-6 months after launch. They don't know how to make teams or function in a team dynamic. Easier to quit and jump to the next MMO and level up solo then figure it out. 

So the two sides of this, fans of non-twitch combat have few option. Fans of CC, Support, DPS, Tank style combat only have 18 year old MMOs to pick from. Other side Pantheon's slow level system that brings gamers together will creat a community that is ready to support each other come end game. IMO this will cause a smaller attrition as people will not have to learn a new game, just keep playing the same game they have come to love since level 10. Or learnt by level 30 it's not a game for them. 

Pantheon is not a cure to all MMO problems but IMO it will make a hard core group of gamers that will be happy to pay a sub. Much like the days of EQ1 and DAoC. Why? Because developers have forgotten what made people keep playing. MMOs greatest strength is people. Trading convenience to earn more subs has created unstable end games. 
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,309

Dancwith said:

I'm...........not impressed by what I see of the combat.  I would have expected more given the technology available today.  A lot more.  There is will need to be some drastic improvements before I, personally, give any kind of sub or donation to this one.

i honestly don't think it's going to improve that much for the people that are in your camp. from what i have read it's going to be slower paced combat, more of a traditional RPG style.

i don't know if it's just because i'm getting older but i welcome this because i play video games to relax and sometimes playing games with intense fast paced combat just isn't what i want to do anymore.

i play ESO and have been most of the time since beta so maybe i'm just starting to get burned out on that type of combat.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,534

Nanfoodle said:

There is no MMO savior but there is a giant hole in the current MMO scene. Modern MMO (past 10 years) has been mostly Twitch combat. The very few MMOs that have not been that, the classes are often generic DPS with slight variance of play styles and the CC dynamic has been removed. 

To try and pull in more players to get a bigger pay day MMOs have become more and more about solo play. Often people getting to end game never having to talk to or join another person in a teamed environment. 

What has this lead to, attrition in end game. Many MMO hoppers solo happy as a pig in poop till they are presented with a new game at top level. One where they have no bonds of friendships and required to now team. IMO that's why MMOs lose a large % of players 3-6 months after launch. They don't know how to make teams or function in a team dynamic. Easier to quit and jump to the next MMO and level up solo then figure it out. 

So the two sides of this, fans of non-twitch combat have few option. Fans of CC, Support, DPS, Tank style combat only have 18 year old MMOs to pick from. Other side Pantheon's slow level system that brings gamers together will creat a community that is ready to support each other come end game. IMO this will cause a smaller attrition as people will not have to learn a new game, just keep playing the same game they have come to love since level 10. Or learnt by level 30 it's not a game for them. 

Pantheon is not a cure to all MMO problems but IMO it will make a hard core group of gamers that will be happy to pay a sub. Much like the days of EQ1 and DAoC. Why? Because developers have forgotten what made people keep playing. MMOs greatest strength is people. Trading convenience to earn more subs has created unstable end games. 

Very well said. Leveraging slower, more rewarding cooperative gameplay, and the sense of community it builds, will make Pantheon entirely unique in the current MMO landscape. That is what will sustain them and prevent players from considering hopping to the next new thing. Chances are, it simply won't offer the same thing.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 9,095

Dullahan said:

Nanfoodle said:

Very well said. Leveraging slower, more rewarding cooperative gameplay, and the sense of community it builds, will make Pantheon entirely unique in the current MMO landscape. That is what will sustain them and prevent players from considering hopping to the next new thing. Chances are, it simply won't offer the same thing.

Ya IMO the more solo a MMO becomes the bigger a mess end game becomes for all. Even learning how to spec your char is done for solo. Get end game most people dont know how to spec their char for a team. That also makes unbalanced classes. The trickle down effect of this is huge but devs are running towards the fast buck of money now. Not the long game where the money in the end is just as big if not bigger.