Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Devs Talk AntiCheat, Crafting, NPE, PvE & More Patch! - Darkfall: Rise of Agon Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageDevs Talk AntiCheat, Crafting, NPE, PvE & More Patch! - Darkfall: Rise of Agon Videos - MMORPG.com

Developers have published a brand new video to talk about the latest patch for Darkfall: Rise of Agon. The video takes viewers on a visual walk of the new player tutorial as well as changes to PvE and champions. In addition, the new anti-cheat software is profiled along with crafting and much more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Well this is good they use a reputable Anti Cheat that I am willing to install on my system instead of game guard or xingcode which are malicious...

However I do hope they offer "Refunds" to those who don't agree to have 3rd party services installed and had no idea about this should others choose not to install this.
  • Veexer_NuiVeexer_Nui Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Announce Anti-Cheat before it's enabled so people stop cheating to avoid ban. Great developer.

Archeage EU - Nui

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Hacks had a (huge?) influence back in 2009. Some were working and undetected till the servers were taken offline. I'm glad the new devs are doing something about it.

• darknagualdarknagual Member UncommonPosts: 19

Announce Anti-Cheat before it's enabled so people stop cheating to avoid ban. Great developer.

well that the whole point, is to stop people cheating.
  • GreeferGreefer Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Awesome stuff .. anti cheat softwrae .. GREAT JOB!
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193

When  you install the client it tells you to install Easy Anti Cheat. Not much point in trying to hide it ;)
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Didn't the first Darkfall have rampant cheating?
  • LIOKILIOKI Member UncommonPosts: 421
    Why does the combat, in a combat heavy game, look like a blindman having a seizure? Maybe I just need to move on to another genre until someone gets mmo's out of 2004.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited April 2017

DMKano said:

They talk the talk, but will they walk the walk?

edited April 2017

When  you install the client it tells you to install Easy Anti Cheat. Not much point in trying to hide it ;)

Hey at least they are being up front about it and not doing what Asian games do installing XingCode without consent or Game Guard And people have the option to cancel the install and delete the game.

The only issue is the backers who might want refunds now.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Wasn't there a game recently that had a cheater's server where you were banned to if you got caught cheating or did I dream that?

I also want to see a drug-fueled separate Olympics :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Renoaku said:

Hey at least they are being up front about it and not doing what Asian games do installing XingCode without consent or Game Guard And people have the option to cancel the install and delete the game.

The only issue is the backers who might want refunds now.

Who would want a refund because of the addition of anti-cheat besides hackers? No one. Good riddance.
  • SlashedOutCutlassSlashedOutCutlass Member CommonPosts: 8
    Sweet video, Wes always delivers :)
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Rise of Agon is really shaping up to decent version of Darkfall to play until New Dawn launches with all the real fixes and improvements that Darkfall has always needed.

Dullahan said:

Rise of Agon is really shaping up to decent version of Darkfall to play until New Dawn launches with all the real fixes and improvements that Darkfall has always needed.

Dark Fall new dawn is unplayable because its server is in Europe they need USA server.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Outside of Pantheon, this is one of the only MMOs that has me watching the outcome. Not sure what developer will make the better product? I'm not joking, what one is better?
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546

Nanfoodle said:

Outside of Pantheon, this is one of the only MMOs that has me watching the outcome. Not sure what developer will make the better product? I'm not joking, what one is better?

Common question... Huge difference in the "overall" gameplay between New Dawn and Rise of Agon.

Rise of Agon concentrating on player to player and PvE with racial wars completely removed, Clan vs Clan, individuals mean something. Any player can go to any town (Clan towns an exception, law status determined by clan) without worry of being killed by towers. Ease of play also considered, no cooldowns or timers on collecting loot from corpses. Reduced equip times

New Dawn, the opposite. Full on faction wars. You mean nothing as the individual, only another soldier. Will keep equip and loot cooldowns and timers.

The combat and controls... Barely a difference between the two. And this is going to be constantly evolving in both -- not much a difference now, but eventually both will split paths.

Nanfoodle said:

Common question... Huge difference in the "overall" gameplay between New Dawn and Rise of Agon.

Rise of Agon concentrating on player to player and PvE with racial wars completely removed, Clan vs Clan, individuals mean something. Any player can go to any town (Clan towns an exception, law status determined by clan) without worry of being killed by towers. Ease of play also considered, no cooldowns or timers on collecting loot from corpses. Reduced equip times

New Dawn, the opposite. Full on faction wars. You mean nothing as the individual, only another soldier. Will keep equip and loot cooldowns and timers.

The combat and controls... Barely a difference between the two. And this is going to be constantly evolving in both -- not much a difference now, but eventually both will split paths.

Something to note about the racial wars thing. In DFO the racial wars were ignored and people joined clans consisting of all races with the exception of a small handful of clans. Even the clans that did partake in racial wars were allied with clans that did not, because they didn't have the choice.

The problem I see with new dawns approach is that they're not removing ARAC, but supposedly providing some form of benefit to single race clans. I even read in a recent post from one of their "hidden" devs that they considered racial wars as "newbie pvp". I can't recall if the word newbie was used, but essentially the same thing. So the reality is they're not changing anything that I can see in that regard. The result of this will be the same situations that DFO had.

In ROA, by removing the racial wars they remove the confusion. Players can play the race they want and still team up with friends w/o any restrictions. The only thing missing is the penalty free pvp in lawful locations. I only see that as a plus myself, opinions will vary. 

IMO the only way to have racial wars properly would be to remove the ability to team/clan up with other races entirely. This would result in less sand in the sandbox.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546

Nanfoodle said:

Something to note about the racial wars thing. In DFO the racial wars were ignored and people joined clans consisting of all races with the exception of a small handful of clans. Even the clans that did partake in racial wars were allied with clans that did not, because they didn't have the choice.

The problem I see with new dawns approach is that they're not removing ARAC, but supposedly providing some form of benefit to single race clans. I even read in a recent post from one of their "hidden" devs that they considered racial wars as "newbie pvp". I can't recall if the word newbie was used, but essentially the same thing. So the reality is they're not changing anything that I can see in that regard. The result of this will be the same situations that DFO had.

In ROA, by removing the racial wars they remove the confusion. Players can play the race they want and still team up with friends w/o any restrictions. The only thing missing is the penalty free pvp in lawful locations. I only see that as a plus myself, opinions will vary. 

IMO the only way to have racial wars properly would be to remove the ability to team/clan up with other races entirely. This would result in less sand in the sandbox.

Penalty free?

When one can lose everything in their inventory to a death I would say that's a penalty. Steal a mount in a lawful town, you get zapped to death, pretty sure that's a penalty... I could keep going.
    edited April 2017

Nanfoodle said:

Penalty free?

When one can lose everything in their inventory to a death I would say that's a penalty. Steal a mount in a lawful town, you get zapped to death, pretty sure that's a penalty... I could keep going.

You misunderstand. They first claimed that racial wars would matter, then later I read from one of their devs that it's their "newbie" penalty free pvp. Penalty as in alignment hits. Basically DnD seemed to talk up their racial wars and have done nothing different than the original DFO.
    DND might not have done anything yet, but they do intend for there to be a reputation system that will encourage players to work with members of their own race and faction. Something long needed in DFO. Achieving that means players actually work together and are discouraged from senseless ganking that has always been a plague on sandbox pvp games.

Dullahan said:

DND might not have done anything yet, but they do intend for there to be a reputation system that will encourage players to work with members of their own race and faction. Something long needed in DFO. Achieving that means players actually work together and are discouraged from senseless ganking that has always been a plague on sandbox pvp games.

BPG hasn't only made it a single alignment, they've also made significant strides in increasing the benefits to being blue, increased the hits for being red and they have future plans for encouraging blue, discouraging killing blues and even adding in an opt in faction system. 

So... Achieving that means players actually work together and are discouraged from senseless ganking that has always been a plague on sandbox pvp games.

Nice plug, but like always the DND fanboy typical tactic of bashing every change that BPG does and praising all the stuff DND claims they're going to do just doesn't cut it.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    The best anti-cheat system is to ban the cheaters for life and go after them aggressively. None of these anti-cheat measures are useful as they can always be circumvented. They are just a system used by lazy companies that doesn't want to actually police and support their IP.

botrytis said:

The best anti-cheat system is to ban the cheaters for life and go after them aggressively. None of these anti-cheat measures are useful as they can always be circumvented. They are just a system used by lazy companies that doesn't want to actually police and support their IP.

It's an extra layer. If it is responsible for detecting 1 out of 100 of the banned users it was worth it. Why not put something in just because it's possible to circumvent? It's possible to "circumvent" the lock on your door and the alarm on your house, so do you just say screw it and not put them on?

Dullahan said:

BPG hasn't only made it a single alignment, they've also made significant strides in increasing the benefits to being blue, increased the hits for being red and they have future plans for encouraging blue, discouraging killing blues and even adding in an opt in faction system. 

So... Achieving that means players actually work together and are discouraged from senseless ganking that has always been a plague on sandbox pvp games.

Nice plug, but like always the DND fanboy typical tactic of bashing every change that BPG does and praising all the stuff DND claims they're going to do just doesn't cut it.

DND has actually already made some of these changes. Also, as someone who has followed both projects since the beginning, DND announced this idea well ahead of BPG, and their solution is also more nuanced.

Copying the ideas of another company and rushing out the door with them is exactly what exposed BPGs client to hackers and compromised both projects. Something tells me that while New Dawn may take longer, the quality will remain higher.

There is no quick fix for a game like Darkfall. Ub3rgames understands this, and BPG clearly does not.