Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The PVP in this game is horrid

cconroy11cconroy11 Member UncommonPosts: 22
So I reached lvl 40 on my guardian, game is OK so far... decided to try some pvp, and promptly barfed!
Gear has no effect on pvp.
Not only do you have to kill someone, you have to then, fend off there team while you try to ram a flag into their body, effectively killing them...again...all while they are able to hit with weird little attacks while laying on the floor.
This promotes zerging, lack of skill, and its just fucking weird....it literally ruined the game for me.

This is a deal breaker for me, probably will not login again, the PvE its self is extremely un-immersive, and I was hoping the pvp would be epic....alas its a steaming pile of shit.

RealizerbcbullyTiller

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited April 2017
    I agree, other than the gear part. Gear should NEVER have an effect on real pvp. You win with skill, which means how well you play your class....not with how much time you have spent in the game (which translates to gear). But yea, the pvp is crap, WvW is even worse. 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    I enjoyed Guild Wars 1 PVP more than Guild Wars 2...

I also don't find WVW, very fun and I quit Guild Wars 2 because to this day the developers don't listen to what needs to be improved.

Dark Fall, being as old as it is has the best PVP IMO.
  • redneckgamerredneckgamer Member UncommonPosts: 52
    yeah sucks that its based on player skill instead of gear.  I hate it when I can't jut overgear someone and beat them with no skill :(  you went 40 levels without realizing there is a downed skill that you use in pve?  and why would you level 40 levels  and never watch one video or read anything at all about the pvp in the game.  can't blame anyone but yourself for not researching a game at all before you play it.
    StoneRoses
  • BestinnaBestinna Member UncommonPosts: 190
    yeah everyone knows this game has sucked for a long time.
  • cconroy11cconroy11 Member UncommonPosts: 22

yeah sucks that its based on player skill instead of gear.  I hate it when I can't jut overgear someone and beat them with no skill :(  you went 40 levels without realizing there is a downed skill that you use in pve?  and why would you level 40 levels  and never watch one video or read anything at all about the pvp in the game.  can't blame anyone but yourself for not researching a game at all before you play it.

lol please point out where I blamed anyone? Just expressing my discontent over PvP in a game that i thought would at least be fun.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

Bestinna said:

hahaha this
  • Juke4JusticeJuke4Justice Member CommonPosts: 2
    On the contrary it promotes more skill than games like WoW do.  The gear does have effect in PvP but maybe what you mean is that there are no PvP specific armor sets or higher stat sets for people who grind arena or something.  The gear system in most games promotes no skill because people will just grind until they have the best gear and then go smash people who have entry level gear.  The system in GW2 puts everyone on an even playing field and makes gear a non-issue regarding being gimped or overpowered.  The system relies much more on skill than gear.  This is also one feature they carried over from GW1; you can max level pvp from level 1 because it's separate.  The separation of pvp from pve means they don't have to make 'pvp gear' with 'pvp stats' like resilience, pvp power, etc.  Balance is a lot easier with this system.

The downed system is just a game mechanic that GW2 decided to use, much like SWG used an incapacitated state before a death blow.  If you're able to rally back up in key moments you can turn a fight, you can prolong point captures in downed state, and it's just a game mechanic.  Watch videos of people roaming in WvW, especially the outnumbered videos and you'll understand that it doesn't promote zerging or lack of skill.  People that really are skilled can fight multiple players at once and still win.

DrunkWolf said:

Bestinna said:

hahaha this

The game is actually one of the better games currently.  It's often ranked in the top 3 for free to play games and in the top 10 of all mmorpgs.  For a 5 year old game that speaks volumes.    

GW2 breaks away from the WoW-clone stereotype that a lot of games fall into like swtor. A lot of the systems used in by Arena Net have been adopted by other games (zone and player level scaling, limited action bar, world events, WvW).  

I guess there's not much point in me trying to convince you otherwise; but I will say to give it a good honest try before just chiming in with everyone else and blindly ridiculing it.  Just because a game doesn't reach the pinnacle of WoW subscription numbers doesn't mean it sucks.  Also just because you find one feature/mechanic in the game you hate doesn't mean the game sucks.  Though I don't play it currently, WoW has the infamous gear grind/expansion system that I loathe.  I hate that they rely on a new 10 levels and regrinding dungeons/raids to get max level gear, (only to be repeated again the next expansion) as their way of retaining players.  GW2, instead of increasing level cap every time they put out new content and making us all grind up for new gear, just cuts to the chase so we can enjoy the game.  But alas this hasn't stopped me from enjoying WoW for every expansion with friends.
    Same with SWtOR.  The free to play model is so limiting and insulting it turns me off.  But if I play with a sub the game is great and I enjoy it.  Doesn't mean the game sucks.
    turin231
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    So you are complaining about a design decision that has been this way for 4 years?
    Good thing you shared your opinion with us.

Better late than never.
    StoneRoses
    Harbinger of Fools
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Well, I dont PvP but that didn't stop GW2 from becoming my favorite mmorpg since beta, and it still is today. Go figure... One feature alone doesn't define a whole game or it's successes/failures.

• rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    edited April 2017

cconroy11 said:

So I reached lvl 40 on my guardian, game is OK so far... decided to try some pvp, and promptly barfed!
    Not only do you have to kill someone, you have to then, fend off there team while you try to ram a flag into their body, effectively killing them...again...all while they are able to hit with weird little attacks while laying on the floor.
    This promotes zerging, lack of skill, and its just fucking weird....it literally ruined the game for me.

This is a deal breaker for me, probably will not login again, the PvE its self is extremely un-immersive, and I was hoping the pvp would be epic....alas its a steaming pile of shit.

You have multiple options to finish off a downed target:
    - Bleed him/her and if possible apply poison that counters heals and slows down revives.
    - You can cast instant skills during your finishing move animation (or during any other animation) to protect yourself against interrupts and damage. You are allowed to cast multiple skills if one doesn't interrupt the other. These instant skills include teleport skills and the ones that apply Boons/Conditions (Blind, Block, Aegis, etc).
    - If you don't have a Safe Stomp ready and there are foes around the downed body then don't initiate a stomp but rather try to interrupt revives, damage the ones that revive, defend your stomping team mate. Body block attacks against the stomper, apply Blind on foes, apply/share Boons, clean Conditions off of team mates.
    - Don't stomp while someone's already doing it. Assist the stomper instead or go for the objectives and make use of your advantage due to the downed foe.
    - You can easily die to your revive or finisher animation if you are not experienced enough to have proper situational awareness. Just learn when and when not to engage combat and when to disengage.

5v5 PvP is completely based on primary and secondary objectives. Sometimes secondary objectives are more important than primary ones. Each map has its own secondary mechanics. Also GW2 has a pretty tricky combat system that is more complicated than it appears to be at first.
    RealizerYashaX
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    The combat in GW2 feels like one giant slap fight to me. 
    BruceYee

Joined - July 2004

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    The downed mechanic goes well with the focus on objectives in my opinion.

It's not really promoting a lack of skill. If you fight someone 1v1 and take them down, rarely will you be the one dying in the end. The large majority of times you'll finish them off. Worst case scenario, you will be downed as well, kill them in downed mode and then heal back up.

It allows for the team to reinforce a downed person. This makes a lot of sense if you understand the dynamics of the arena PvP. A downed member can call for 1-2 teammates, which happens at the cost of sacrificing numbers on another side of the map.

The arena PvP is focused on allocating team resources (players) to objectives. It's less focused on getting random kills around the map. It's alright to dislike the concept. I wouldn't call it objectively call it a "steaming pile of shit" though.
    Phry
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Really???

It's only level based and NOT gear based, if you got the best gear in the game you can still get killed by a player who have classic gear.

If we talk classes, then yes thats another topic, still GW2 has the best blance between classes in PVP in any game, you just need to know how to respec.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited April 2017

cconroy11 said:

... the PvE its self is extremely un-immersive, and I was hoping the pvp would be epic....alas its a steaming pile of shit.

Just so we can have some context on where you are coming from, could you please tell us what MMO you consider to have epic PvP and immersive PvE.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098

cconroy11 said:

Why is this bad?
    PhryLaedermasken

Dakeru said:

So you are complaining about a design decision that has been this way for 4 years?

Better late than never.

People try games for the first time many years after it releases....good try though ;)

rodingo said:

cconroy11 said:

... the PvE its self is extremely un-immersive, and I was hoping the pvp would be epic....alas its a steaming pile of shit.

Just so we can have some context on where you are coming from, could you please tell us what MMO you consider to have epic PvP and immersive PvE.

Honestly...  WoW in TBC and Wrath. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited April 2017

cconroy11 said:

rodingo said:

cconroy11 said:

so you are basing you judgement of GW2 on something that doesn't exist anymore(tbc/wrath timeline)? nice!... 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

cconroy11 said:

rodingo said:

cconroy11 said:

Unsurprising.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

so many butt hurt people...

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

cconroy11 said:

LOL - then this game is not for you. I am happy that gear has no affect, that means you actually have to play the game and understand positioning, etc. Just go back to where Gear is everything and skill is nothing, like Rift, WoW, ESO, I could go on.

There is nothing wrong with PvE, is you understand the lore of the game. It actually is one game where they actually try to keep the lore whole, not a steaming pile, like Rift.
    PhryYashaXLaedermasken

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Never actually got to the PVP. I think the game itself was pretty fun. The combat wasn't terrible and I didn't feel like I was required to quest hub hop, though admittedly I never actually leveled past 30? I think it was. I ended up getting too busy. Hmm, I think I'm going to install it now!
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    I like the fact there is no quest hub in this game.
    bcbully

• LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    30 seconds of action followed by a 5 to 10 minute run back is awesome, just how I like to spend my limited free time.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

cconroy11 said:

Dakeru said:

Better late than never.

People try games for the first time many years after it releases....good try though ;)

Good try in what? Pointing out that this has been known long before the game was even released?

cconroy11 said:

so many butt hurt people...

I only see one butthurt person in this thread.
    Harbinger of Fools