Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2018 Overall Production Roadmap (updated 19th January)

Comments

• OdeezeeOdeezee Member UncommonPosts: 69
    i don't know why you guys even bother talking to these people. they bring nothing of value to the discussion and just want to have intellectually dishonest arguments and just obfuscate valid/observable progress with those who are interested in the game. case in point, arguing about why there are bugs...in an alpha. /sigh

anyway, for those of you out there testing the PTU builds, thank you for your work and keep up the detailed IC posts that can help the devs repo and smash/slash/squash those bugs!
    ErillionBrenelael

"Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"
    For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Didn't CR say the game is pretty much ready to go a month or so back.....yes he did.
    No he did not. That is once again just your interpretation. 

Have fun
    Brenelael
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Orinori said:
    rodarin said:

Now if in a month or so they do make 'progress' and fix all the stuff that broken and maybe even add some more stuff then maybe. But isnt that the most minimal of 'progress'? Especially considering the time frame and budget?
    Everything you posted before this was pretty much 'games not finished and has bugs'. Even this statement here seems to show a lack of understanding for how development works, or rather how CIG have to try find a balance between customer experience v's wasted development time.

How about this, If after say 6 months or so of 4.0 being out SC still looks completely nasty around the edges then we can talk...or at least START to talk. I estimate that to be about 2 years away. 
    LMAO why is it everyone says that stupidity? "you just dont understand how development works''.

Yeah because we havent seen a thousand other games being developed over the past 20+ YEARS.

There is obviously going to be a range, but SC is at the lowest of the low end of any range anyone could invent for project that actually wanted to release a game. And dont start a laundry list of games that took 'xxx' amount of years and cost 'yyy' money to release. There is another list much much much longer with games that actually released were very good (still are but dated) that cost a whole hell of a lot less, and took a lot less time.

Even if SC was released RIGHT NOW in 'perfect' condition it would still be on the lower end, because its been 5 years and 160+ million. But we all know it wont be released now or anytime in the next few years because 'progress' is glacial with this project. Because it makes them more money.

But as usual 3.0 is barely out and people are already looking for the next number in the meaningless sequence these guys make up.

So hilarious I said that over a year ago. I said straight up, whenever they release whatever they want to call 3.0 it will be so unimpressive people will just have their built in 'wait for xxxx to come out' statements ready.

And your last paragraph is what people said about 2.0. then 2.4 and 2.6. And its been a lot more than 6 months and the 'progress' is clearly not there. You guys continually move the goal post because you all refuse to have a reality check. Its like battered womens syndrome. Where they think that sooner or later the abuse will stop and life will be perfect, You guys think that someday somehow SC will eventually get better and be everything you dreamed it would be.

For some reality go read everything said about 3.0 just from last year. GO watch the videos they showed at the conventions last year that were '3.0 footage' then go and log into what is there now as 3.0 and see just how much of what they claimed was 3.0 IS in 3.0 now (over a year later).
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Odeezee said:
    i don't know why you guys even bother talking to these people. they bring nothing of value to the discussion and just want to have intellectually dishonest arguments and just obfuscate valid/observable progress with those who are interested in the game. case in point, arguing about why there are bugs...in an alpha. /sigh

anyway, for those of you out there testing the PTU builds, thank you for your work and keep up the detailed IC posts that can help the devs repo and smash/slash/squash those bugs!
    Nice signature.
    kikoodutroa8

..Cake..

• OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    edited November 2017
    rodarin said:

LMAO why is it everyone says that stupidity? "you just dont understand how development works''.

Because it is pretty clear you don't :)

Building a fleshed out seamless universe with highly detailed procedurally assisted celestial points of interest is not the same as making pong, there is a lot more foundation work in one than the other and that takes time. Talk to you in a few years like I said hey.

Brenelael
    Odeezee said:

Because they unwittingly help promote the game and provide more customers for CIG which in turn provides a better product. People have eyes and brains, most do not fall into the denial of the moon landings category, saul goodman.
    Brenelael
    Orinori said:
    rodarin said:

Building a fleshed out seamless universe with highly detailed procedurally assisted celestial points of interest is not the same as making pong, there is a lot more foundation work in one than the other and that takes time. Talk to you in a few years like I said hey.

yeah they claimed the 'foundation' work was done over a year ago and that was when people said 'the development is going to go exponentially faster'. How is that working out?

For every reason or excuse you come up with we have what Chris Roberts or someone actually working on the project has claimed or said.

So are they lying every time they move their lips?

But I like how you throw in 'procedurally  assisted' how long has that been a thing again?

But even if that was relevant (which it really isnt) it just shows how they add or invent things for fanboys to latch onto for more excuses on why they havent really released anything of note.

Why keep adding things when they dont have anything?

Guy just had an orgasm on the stream because the doors in his ship work, yeah thats how buggy it is.

But the irony of the guy a few posts back about being intellectually dishonest is so hilarious. But again, so Star Citizen.

Again go watch the bugs and issues there were when they released 2.6 or whatever the update was that was supposed to 'fix' their first 'major' update. Then compare to these. What was that 2 years ago? Same issues still. How is that 'progress'?  Because theyre the SAME bugs but on a different version? LOL
    edited November 2017
    rodarin said:
    Orinori said:
    rodarin said:

yeah they claimed the 'foundation' work was done over a year ago and that was when people said 'the development is going to go exponentially faster'. How is that working out?

Pretty good actually as anyone who watches the latest builds or latest tech demonstrations can clearly see that progress for themselves. No one is fooled with you screaming the roof down about there being bugs in an alpha :)

All you have done for ages is state that 3.0 was fake and not possible. Well here it is and now its time for you to move on to your next attack 'bugs in an alpha!' and time taken to get here! all within the norms but meh I understand it is all you have left at this point.
    Post edited by Orinori on
    Brenelael
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited November 2017
    Orinori said:
    All you have done for ages is state that 3.0 was fake and not possible. Well here it is and now its time for you to move on to your next attack 'bugs in an alpha!' and time taken to get here! 
    No point in continuing responding him then, circular back and forth is useless.

Let the PTU rage on, as it always did. If this releases by Christmas, they have 1 month of fixing, polish and further completion of the build to work through :)
    Brenelael
    Orinori said:
    Odeezee said:

Because they unwittingly help promote the game and provide more customers for CIG which in turn provides a better product. People have eyes and brains, most do not fall into the denial of the moon landings category, saul goodman.
    Derek Smart is CIG's best promoter.
    I don't understand why so many SC white knights hate him so much.
    OrinoriScotchUpBrenelael

..Cake..

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    sgel said:
    Orinori said:
    Odeezee said:

I don't think they actually hate him more so they feel pity and self commiseration by watching the inevitable meltdown and collapse of an old man with such low self-esteem. 

When one dedicates so much time hating on something as futile as Star Citizen you have to question it's sanity and feel for it's life quality in a simple holistic way.
    Brenelael
    edited November 2017
    Babuinix said:
    sgel said:
    Orinori said:
    Odeezee said:

I don't think they actually hate him more so they feel pity and self commiseration by watching the inevitable meltdown and collapse of an old man with such low self-esteem. 

When one dedicates so much time hating on something as futile as Star Citizen you have to question it's sanity and feel for it's life quality in a simple holistic way.
    Oh they hate him alright.
    Just check what happens when you mention him on the sub.
    They even dedicated a whole sub just following him everywhere.
    Some of them are as obsessed as he is :D
    I think they made it read only after so much hatred towards him was disliked by the mods.
    BrenelaelBabuinix

..Cake..

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    MaxBacon said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Relase to PTU is good news.

Christmas is the big worldwide holiday event (Thanksgiving is - mostly - just the US of course) so which is why I would be surprised if its not out of PTU by December 22nd.

For 2018? Well 2017 hasn't been their finest moment when it comes to scheduling and estimating but hopefully they will stick with their plan for periodic (quarterly) rather than feature driven releases - at least for 2018.
    The number of issues is still there, they have just decided to fix them during the PTU instead of during Evocati.

We'll see the burndown rate of issues now to live now, but well they have 1 month of bug-fixing patches to complete the build so seems viable.
    Oh I know.

I doubt burndown and fixing issues later had anything to do with the release to PTU though. And I don't believe it will have anything to do with the wider release of 3.0. 

There are other - bigger - issues not covered in the "must fix bug lists" that have nothing to do with the code and burndown. Things like:

Reputation: PCGamer has had a Star Citizen cover "recently" presumably on the back of RSI saying 3.0 would be out "soon". If 3.0's wider release was delayed until next year then ... yeah. And next time they approach a news outlet said outlet might want to hold off. Just one example of course but reputation feeds into (for example):

Marketing: Christmas is the big worldwide marketing event. Pretty obvious that having a "presence" at Christmas is "good", not having one "bad". Which leads into:

Finance: Development has to be funded. Yes RSI have said they have enough funding. Financial forecasts are based on "estimates to completion" however. And if there is one thing the road to 3.0 has shown its that they suck at estimating. (Not suggesting btw that they don't have enough funding.)

There are others "hot button" issues.

Now if this was the final commercial release you would want the bugs fixed. Companies that push bug filled games out (FFXIV, ESO, BF4 etc.) deserve the complaints they get. Sometimes there is no choice as happened with e.g. Vanguard but I don't believe that is going to happen with SC.
    one should logically surmise that they need the money. Why else release this? Seriously? ANYONE who is 'playing' it knows its not ready by a long shot. So why release it at all?

Its a calculated gamble. They release it, enough people forgive it because its 'alpha' and look past all the crashes and bugs and everything else and they generate a little bit of hype. they get a miracle patch in there that fixes a few things and that helps.

(conspiracy theorist in me says they released it broken on purpose and have a better working version already and will call that the 'patched' version, because there is so much broken with THIS version its laughable)

But what better way to 'raise' money than to release a new (broken) version and then (immediately) 'fix' it and 'improve' it greatly.

This is next level conspiracy. But it all comes back tot the same base need...funds.

Because if my theory is wrong and it DOESNT improve then what? Most people are going to be done with SC altogether, except for the hardest of hardcore fans or people who dont mind waiting 20 years for something to be done'right'.

So its a coin flip right now, what will they have more of by Christmas, 'new' sales or refund requests?
    Babuinix
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    rodarin said:
    one should logically surmise that they need the money. Why else release this? Seriously? ANYONE who is 'playing' it knows its not ready by a long shot. So why release it at all?

You know what? You may be on to something here! Why on god's green earth would an early development build need testing? I mean it's not like they are trying to get the bugs worked out or anything like that. We all know that an office test with about 100 testers should be all they need to do for the literally millions of different computer builds out there. We all know fully well that an Alpha build of a game should be entirely feature complete and bug free!

They are obviously only in it for the money because we all know that releasing a buggy mess of a game has always worked in the past. I mean just look at all of the love games like Mass Effect: Andromeda and Battlecruiser 3000AD got. People were just lining up to buy those games!

Your logic is flawless and we should all just stop and take a moment to bask in the awesomeness of your clearly superior intellect. This man is clearly a god among insects and we should all bow to his sheer superiority in this matter. I for one will never question your judgement again as it's a testament to all who are privileged enough to gaze upon it.

*Bows head in shame*

Bren
    Babuinix

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

gervaise1 said:
    Oh I know.

I doubt burndown and fixing issues later had anything to do with the release to PTU though. And I don't believe it will have anything to do with the wider release of 3.0. 

There are other - bigger - issues not covered in the "must fix bug lists" that have nothing to do with the code and burndown. Things like:

Reputation: PCGamer has had a Star Citizen cover "recently" presumably on the back of RSI saying 3.0 would be out "soon". If 3.0's wider release was delayed until next year then ... yeah. And next time they approach a news outlet said outlet might want to hold off. Just one example of course but reputation feeds into (for example):

Marketing: Christmas is the big worldwide marketing event. Pretty obvious that having a "presence" at Christmas is "good", not having one "bad". Which leads into:

Finance: Development has to be funded. Yes RSI have said they have enough funding. Financial forecasts are based on "estimates to completion" however. And if there is one thing the road to 3.0 has shown its that they suck at estimating. (Not suggesting btw that they don't have enough funding.)

There are others "hot button" issues.

Now if this was the final commercial release you would want the bugs fixed. Companies that push bug filled games out (FFXIV, ESO, BF4 etc.) deserve the complaints they get. Sometimes there is no choice as happened with e.g. Vanguard but I don't believe that is going to happen with SC.
    Yeah it hadn't, it was more a decision while the process is ongoing, no longer a requirement to start the PTU we should be seeing the schedule reflecting Live today.

Yeah it's overall a mix of things but yeah 3.0 was already pushed beyond the gamescom and citizencon biggest events of the year, so this push might free things up for the Holiday stream focused on SQ42 instead.
    Brenelael said:
    rodarin said:

You know what? You may be on to something here! Why on god's green earth would an early development build need testing? I mean it's not like they are trying to get the bugs worked out or anything like that. We all know that an office test with about 100 testers should be all they need to do for the literally millions of different computer builds out there. We all know fully well that an Alpha build of a game should be entirely feature complete and bug free!

They are obviously only in it for the money because we all know that releasing a buggy mess of a game has always worked in the past. I mean just look at all of the love games like Mass Effect: Andromeda and Battlecruiser 3000AD got. People were just lining up to buy those games!

Your logic is flawless and we should all just stop and take a moment to bask in the awesomeness of your clearly superior intellect. This man is clearly a god among insects and we should all bow to his sheer superiority in this matter. I for one will never question your judgement again as it's a testament to all who are privileged enough to gaze upon it.

*Bows head in shame*

Bren
    when they cant get more than a dozen people on a server before it lags into oblivion then yes 100 is more than enough actually.

What is the max pop per server? If its less than 100 then their '100 testers' is enough if its 24 they have enough for 4 servers.

There is some flaw in what I said because they have gained 165 million without releasing much of anything but the money coming in the past few months has diminished greatly and its close to what they had coming in last year  at this time. Assuming you can believe the figures they themselves put out.

Thats why I said its a calculated risk, if they fool enough people into thinking this is just the beginning they might start seeing an uptick in money again.

We have a month to see what happens and again any 'updates' will have an effect i am sure.
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited November 2017
    sgel said:
    Babuinix said:
    sgel said:
    Orinori said:
    Odeezee said:

Oh they hate him alright.
    Just check what happens when you mention him on the sub.
    They even dedicated a whole sub just following him everywhere.
    Some of them are as obsessed as he is :D
    I think they made it read only after so much hatred towards him was disliked by the mods.
    Nah they just gave him a small taste of his own medicine.

A troll's worst nightmare is to be in the receiving end of the scorn and mockery. While they seek comfort in banding together with other like minded trolls to make fun of something all in the spirit of "having a laugh" but go absolutely livid when people take the piss out of their ongoing failed crusade against Star Citizen.

That's why they get so mad and salty every time Star Citizen does a game show and the media hypes it, gets another million to through ship sales or simply releases another patch lol

Or just say that Chris Roberts is an amazing person and game developer that really cares about making the best space game possible, that will make their skin crawl. Oh and that Sally has done an amazing job with Marketing and Ben Lesnick is a cool space guy! Oh and Disco Lando too, he's also cool.

That will get under the troll's skin no doubt and get you in trouble for sure. *shivers* :D
    BrenelaelErillion
    edited November 2017
    Babuinix said:
    Or just say that Chris Roberts is an amazing person and game developer that really cares about making the best space game possible, that will make their skin crawl. Oh and that Sally has done an amazing job with Marketing and Ben Lesnick is a cool space guy! Oh and Disco Lando too, he's also cool.
    But....every single bit of that is true. What is wrong with those haters :/
    Brenelael
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    edited November 2017
    rodarin said:

We all know that an office test with about 100 testers should be all they need to do for the literally millions of different computer builds out there. 

Bren"

when they cant get more than a dozen people on a server before it lags into oblivion then yes 100 is more than enough actually.

What is the max pop per server? If its less than 100 then their '100 testers' is enough if its 24 they have enough for 4 servers.

As I said before I'm awed by your flawless logic. We should all be completely humbled by your truly amazing reading comprehension skills. Your superior intellect in these matters again truly amazes me beyond what mere words can convey. I am honestly humbled to be in the presence of your greatness.

*Bows head and slowly backs away*

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

PC specs are meaningless. The game is running like shit no matter what specs you have. Whether by design (I am sure the fanboys will make that claim) or the engine sucks (much more likely) they have 'neutralized' performance so that no matter what you have for a CPU, GPU, SSD, or whatever youre going to get 20 FPS no matter what.

It is probably some what by design so people with 20K machines cant give their specs and then their performance numbers. But guys with ancient systems can claim theyre running the game as 'well' as a guy with a computer 50 times better.

So the argument theyre testing how it runs on different PC builds is completely debunked. The reason why every machine runs it almost exactly the same can be debated.

But you dont need all that testing to see the same 12-15 bugs everyone experiences. I mentioned them in my first post. And because those are the ones that always effect people then theyre also easily identifiable which again begs the question why werent they fixed? 
    Babuinix
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    rodarin said:

Its a calculated gamble. They release it, enough people forgive it because its 'alpha' and look past all the crashes and bugs and everything else and they generate a little bit of hype. they get a miracle patch in there that fixes a few things and that helps.

(conspiracy theorist in me says they released it broken on purpose and have a better working version already and will call that the 'patched' version, because there is so much broken with THIS version its laughable)

But what better way to 'raise' money than to release a new (broken) version and then (immediately) 'fix' it and 'improve' it greatly.

This is next level conspiracy. But it all comes back tot the same base need...funds.

Because if my theory is wrong and it DOESNT improve then what? Most people are going to be done with SC altogether, except for the hardest of hardcore fans or people who dont mind waiting 20 years for something to be done'right'.

So its a coin flip right now, what will they have more of by Christmas, 'new' sales or refund requests?
    No. The financial side is / should always be a consideration een if they believe they have enough money to finish but its not the logical conclusion of why 3.0 will have a Christmas release (my assumption).

Simplistically - or maybe I should say "more fundamentally" SC needs a "re-boot". (And no I don't believe there is a "secret version". This is wysiwyg!)

3.0 was intended to be a "mid-year" update. To show everyone that progress was being made. Unintentionally its become associated with "delay".

And delay brings with it lots of bad conoctations: makes it harder to maintain interest - which you allude to. Which in turn impacts on funding. 

Delay is also bad internally - within RSI - however.

Most employees will only see "a part" of the entire project. Sure they will have access to the progress updates etc. but employees can become sceptical just like anyone else (another report, more delays etc.). Getting 3.0 out will boost morale; re-inforce that SC is a project with a future. And for some getting 3.0 out of the door will have been stressful - you don't want that if it can be avoided.

So 3.0 will release. Bugs and all because it's good from both a management and a business perspective. Considerations which override whatever playability issues 3.0 has.

And it will redefine to all and sundry what SC is today. Demonstrate that all those things that have been talked about in the update videos are real. Remember the "if it's not in the alpha it shouldn't be treated as real" mantra? Finally showcase a years worth of whatever. Might be not be pretty but it will be more than what is out there to most people today.

And RSI will be able to build on it. Most of all though they will be able to put the "drama" of the last few months behind them.

edited November 2017
    gervaise1 said:
    but its not the logical conclusion of why 3.0 will have a Christmas release (my assumption). 
    All the studios will have to stop for holidays after Christmas, you wouldn't want to stop work on finishing up a release and break into holidays just to come back from holiday to finish up the milestone right after, it loses a lot of momentum in the development front.

gervaise1 said:
    Remember the "if it's not in the alpha it shouldn't be treated as real" mantra? Finally showcase a years worth of whatever.
    This is very true, this has been going "it's not released so it's not real", now that it's getting released the narrative changes to "look at all the bugs in the PTU", as predictable.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited November 2017
    Believing there's a secret bug-less version that they plan on unveiling just to rocket their hype back up is awfully optimistic, I think.  If they could magically impress people by making bugs go away, they would have made all their bugs go away already NOW and that would have accomplished their hype rocket anyways without having to release this buggy version already.
    edited November 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    Believing there's a secret bug-less version that they plan on unveiling just to rocket their hype back up is awfully optimistic, I think.  If they could magically impress people by making bugs go away, they would have made all their bugs go away already NOW and that would have accomplished their hype rocket anyways without having to release this buggy version already.
    This buggy version is already capable to impress. And people like what they see.

The backers seem to understand the point of PTU and what it implies, the first builds are always messy, always, yet the "haters" always go on this silly nitpicking to make a fuss of a testing phase cause reasons.

It's just irrelevant noise. 3.0 PTU is much better than how messy the Alpha 2.0 PTU was.