Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

4k gaming monitor vs what i have

cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345
so i just bought the 1080 gtx TI 11gb founder edtiton and I am in the market for a 4k monitor. Thing of it is I dont know what 4k monitor out there will be compared and as nice as my dell monitor https://www.amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-27-Inch-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B009H0XQQY

what is a good 4k monitor to go with my new card without breaking the bank when I bought my dell one?

as always thanks!

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    That depends on how you feel about:

1)  getting something with markedly worse image quality than your previous monitor, or
    2)  getting really tiny pixels so that the normal size for many programs is so small as to be awkward

If you're against both of those but still want a 4K monitor, then plan on breaking the bank.
  • cichy1012cichy1012 Member UncommonPosts: 345
    lol..maybe im not reading something right quizz or im just to buzzed (alcohol buzz) to understand, which makes perfect sense right now spend money.. HA! so basically if i want same image wuality as my dell monitor ill break the bank? if I dont then i should stick with my current monitor and not have bought the card?

• cooleechang1cooleechang1 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Look for top brands like sony/samsung for the 4ks tv.  If you want the best 4k you would have to drop at least 1k.  If you want something mid tier you can get some around 500-600 but those are usually without HDR.  Last thing you want to look at is the input lag.  This would be something good https://www.amazon.com/Sony-XBR43X830C-43-Inch-Ultra-Smart/dp/B00R45XH86/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1491793059&sr=1-2&keywords=Sony+X830C
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    I'd step back and consider a few choices.....

First decide WHAT you want improved.

You might be better served by an ultrawide monitor than a 4k one depending upon what kind of games you like to play.  Or a 1440p monitor at 144 frames or higher. 

If you are doing productivity then why toss the original monitor? Just add a second one.  Or a third.  The same could go for gaming. 

That monitor would let you play on the monitor of choice while doing other things on another monitor.

If you simply want to watch videos in 4k resolution then something of TV level would be sufficient. 

cichy1012 said:
    lol..maybe im not reading something right quizz or im just to buzzed (alcohol buzz) to understand, which makes perfect sense right now spend money.. HA! so basically if i want same image wuality as my dell monitor ill break the bank? if I dont then i should stick with my current monitor and not have bought the card?

You can get a TN monitor with poor image quality, a small monitor (27" is small for 4K, as it makes the pixels tiny) that is awkward for some programs, roll the dice on a no-name Korean import, or plan on spending in the ballpark of $1000 or more.

What's wrong with your old monitor?  Why not just keep it?
    edited April 2017
    cichy1012 said:
    For programs not built to scale to 4K, things will take about 44% as much space on your screen as your current monitor.  Which means that they'll be very small.  Some games will scale fine, as will some other programs, but it will be hit and miss.  If you're fine with things appearing tiny, then have at it, but you might not like it.
    To be clear, I'm not saying that you shouldn't buy it.  You might really like it.  The problem is that in programs that have things scaled to use a fixed number of pixels, they'll appear much smaller than you're used to.  You might be fine with that, or you might see it as a problem.  But be aware that that's what you're getting into if you want to pack 2.25 times as many pixels into the same area as before.
    damn super small stuff.. didnt know that. sometimes i have a problem with my current monitor for the UI on some games.. .hmmm.

Some games will scale just fine to use high resolutions.  But some won't, more commonly older games.  And some games completely break in weird ways if you set the resolution too high.  For example, most text in Trove vanishes if the game window is too large, though I'm not sure if 4K would be big enough to make that happen.
    cichy1012 said:
    damn super small stuff.. didnt know that. sometimes i have a problem with my current monitor for the UI on some games.. .hmmm.

If you have more pixels, but also more inches, then everything is about the same size as before.  If you want to keep a fixed pixel size from, for example, a 24", 1920x1080 monitor, that would require 32" at 2560x1440, or 48" at 4K.  27" isn't really all that much smaller than 32", but it's a whole lot smaller than 48".
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    edited April 2017
    Again, Why do you want 4k specifically?

You could overclock something like an acer predator 3440x1440 curved monitor to 100hz.  That would be better in most situations than a similar-sized 4k monitor at 60hz.

what started it all was someone telling me i had to get rid of my monitor to untilize the card im getting. then was showed games in 4k vs my monitor.. which i wouldnt have noticed until i was made to notice. i would like to get the full usage of the card. but am very limited in the aspect of monitors in relation to video cards.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited April 2017
    cichy1012 said:
    so i just bought the 1080 gtx TI 11gb founder edtiton and I am in the market for a 4k monitor. Thing of it is I dont know what 4k monitor out there will be compared and as nice as my dell monitor https://www.amazon.com/Dell-U2713HM-27-Inch-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B009H0XQQY

what is a good 4k monitor to go with my new card without breaking the bank when I bought my dell one?

as always thanks!

Never buy dell this is for sure they use "Refurbished" and used Parts, not a reputable company just a company most people go to because everyone hears about Dell, and sees them in use in most businesses.

But personally for gaming I would go with Multi Asus Monitors, and if you really have the room throw in a big screen television for netflix, and movies.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD6H5EF3295&cm_re=asus_gaming_monitor_ROG-_-24-236-405-_-Product

There is always other ones and many other choices, but personally Im still happy with my monitors from 2005 LOL still working purrrfectly not the newest but the graphics and colors on them still look great.

If you can't afford this then there are lower end choices depending on exactly what you are using them for but ROG monitors are really nice.
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    4k gaming at less than 7 feet view distance on such a small viewing surface is ridiculous. the image sharpness on a 27-32 inch monitor at probably a 2 ft at best viewing distance is almost unnoticeable. Thats my experience anyway, and im fairly picky. 1080p on 27 inches at 2 feet is about as good as it gets in reality.
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    ianicus said:
    4k gaming at less than 7 feet view distance on such a small viewing surface is ridiculous. the image sharpness on a 27-32 inch monitor at probably a 2 ft at best viewing distance is almost unnoticeable. Thats my experience anyway, and im fairly picky. 1080p on 27 inches at 2 feet is about as good as it gets in reality.
    There I don't agree. I saw a rather large difference when I changed from 1080p to 2K on 27". Between 2K and 4K there I don't see any difference (and we are talking the 2-3 feet I usually sit from the screen). For 4K to make an impact you need 30" (maybe 29", never seen a 4K 29").

@cichy1012
    For a 27" go for 2K instead, way cheaper and you actually notice the improvement. Dell have some really nice, got one myself.

For 30" go for 4K.

It is not worth the extra cash to get a higher resolution then you can notice while gaming. Of course you might want to go into a store and compare yourself, maybe you have sight like a hawk and see the difference before me.

I think it is worth to get better resolution then 1080p if you go over 24" but at smaller screens it is just a gimmick. At large screens it is really neat, particularly when playing strategy games and MMORPG, in FPS there is little advantage. Also, check the backlightning on a larger screen, you want 350 cd/m² brightness, it will make all colors looking awesome.

My recommendation: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited April 2017
    Here you go. Comes with HDR10 but not in 4k 60hz due to displayPort 1.2:
    LG 32" 32UD99 $999

This one is cheaper without HDR or rotating the screen.
    LG 27" 27UD68 $499

Is it worth it? Probably not.
    Post edited by Cleffy on
  • wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    A couple of things for you to consider.  I've used your current monitor in the past, and found it an excellent monitor.  It's an IPS monitor and has good color.  I upgraded it to another 27" Dell.  The second monitor is a TN G-Sync panel at 144Hz, also 1440p.  The difference was quite noticeable.  Color was a touch worse on the newer panel, but it made my games run butter smooth in comparison.  Finally, a week or so ago, I decided to buy a 40" Samsung 4k with a 4:4:4 chroma rating (Important info to have if you go with a TV as a monitor).  This is driven by a 1080Ti.  I traded smoothness for size and resolution, and in hindsight, I'm glad I didn't go with a smaller 4k panel. 

Given a fixed screen size, the higher the resolution, the more pixels you cram into the same real estate.  As quizzical said earlier, you have to increase size to maintain icon and text size.  Games with scaling UIs are typically OK, but not all of them do this.  If 24" was the sweet spot for 1080p, and 27" is the sweet spot for 1440p, then 36 - 40" seems to be the sweet spot for 4K.  I can completely turn off Windows scaling on this monitor and have no issues at 3-4 feet away.

If you want to stay with 27", I wouldn't buy without seeing it first.  Also, you might consider the 1440p 144Hz offerings with Adaptive Sync technology (G-Sync in your case).  At that screen size, I think it might offer a better experience in every way.  I'm not aware of any new games that can cap 144 FPS at 1440p.  That 1080 Ti should be good for a few years at 1440p.  Less so at 4K, I'd imagine.  Whichever you choose, it should be a big upgrade over your current monitor, but pay attention to color, because I really like the color on my old one.  I still have mine as a secondary for those times when I need more accurate color.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    edited April 2017

Just go with Super VGA

On a more serious note

If you like sitting at your desk in front of a monitor I'd go with a 144hz 2k. It will *feel* better.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

cichy1012 said:
    what started it all was someone telling me i had to get rid of my monitor to untilize the card im getting. then was showed games in 4k vs my monitor.. which i wouldnt have noticed until i was made to notice. i would like to get the full usage of the card. but am very limited in the aspect of monitors in relation to video cards.

Telling you that you need a new monitor to really take advantage of what the video card can do is similar to finding out that you play games that aren't very demanding and telling you that you need to play more demanding games to really take advantage of what the video card can do.  If your current monitor can do everything you want and do it well, that's a good thing.
    Renoaku said:
    cichy1012 said:

as always thanks!

Never buy dell this is for sure they use "Refurbished" and used Parts, not a reputable company just a company most people go to because everyone hears about Dell, and sees them in use in most businesses.

But personally for gaming I would go with Multi Asus Monitors, and if you really have the room throw in a big screen television for netflix, and movies.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAD6H5EF3295&cm_re=asus_gaming_monitor_ROG-_-24-236-405-_-Product

There is always other ones and many other choices, but personally Im still happy with my monitors from 2005 LOL still working purrrfectly not the newest but the graphics and colors on them still look great.

If you can't afford this then there are lower end choices depending on exactly what you are using them for but ROG monitors are really nice.
    While I'd usually advise against buying an entire computer from Dell, buying just a monitor from them is very different.  Dell makes nice monitors.
    Quizzical said:
    While I'd usually advise against buying an entire computer from Dell, buying just a monitor from them is very different.  Dell makes nice monitors.
    Agreed, I own a Dell monitor but I will never get a new Dell desktop after my old Pentium II. It was because of it that I decided to learn to build computers myself and keep myself updated on hardware so I guess something good came out of it but even the case drove me nuts...
    DMKano said:
    144hz 2k > any 4k right now.

Just my 2c.
    Depends on the screensize. At 27" you are 100% right, maybe at 30" as well but just maybe. Over 30" not so much. And as I said above, background lighting is also very important and not just for when you work in photoshop.

Buying a high resolution screen that sucks otherwise (low frequency, low response time, low brightness and so on) is a bad decision.
    Loke666 said:
    ianicus said:
    There I don't agree. I saw a rather large difference when I changed from 1080p to 2K on 27". Between 2K and 4K there I don't see any difference (and we are talking the 2-3 feet I usually sit from the screen). For 4K to make an impact you need 30" (maybe 29", never seen a 4K 29").

@cichy1012
    For a 27" go for 2K instead, way cheaper and you actually notice the improvement. Dell have some really nice, got one myself.

For 30" go for 4K.

It is not worth the extra cash to get a higher resolution then you can notice while gaming. Of course you might want to go into a store and compare yourself, maybe you have sight like a hawk and see the difference before me.

I think it is worth to get better resolution then 1080p if you go over 24" but at smaller screens it is just a gimmick. At large screens it is really neat, particularly when playing strategy games and MMORPG, in FPS there is little advantage. Also, check the backlightning on a larger screen, you want 350 cd/m² brightness, it will make all colors looking awesome.

My recommendation: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502
    Personally, I use three of these in portrait mode, for a combined resolution of 4320x2560:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236466

You pretty much need IPS if you want to use portrait mode, as TN will look all wrong there.

I really like it, but there are a couple of caveats.  For one, Windows 7 doesn't always load the monitor settings properly to scale an image across there monitors, so sometimes I have to immediately reboot.  Windows 10 didn't have any problems with this.

Another issue is the monitor bezels in the middle of a game window.  It doesn't bother me, but it might really bother some people.  The monitors are large enough that the bezels are further into your peripheral vision than if you were to take just your current monitor and draw two bezels on it.

Due to how I have the monitors arranged with the side monitors slanted slightly toward the center, if you walk around while looking at the monitors, a game looks all wrong.  While sitting in the normal spot, it looks good, though.

So why go this route rather than a 4k monitor?  For starters, 144 Hz is a lot more than 60 Hz.  This is also a lot of inches, so the pixel size is the same as it would be on a 27", 2560x1440 monitor--because that's exactly what the monitors are.  You don't get the tiny icons problem of a 27", 4K monitor.

For the first time in my life, the real question is how much monitor space I want a program to take, and I'm not meaningfully limited by wanting to extend things off of the edge of the monitor.  I don't maximize most programs, though I do for some (not all!) games.

For web browsing, having a taller browser is really nice.  The most annoying thing about a short monitor is that you constantly have to read a little, scroll down, read a little, scroll down, etc.  That's why I was thoroughly unimpressed by the "widescreen" trend and never bought a 1080p monitor because I didn't see 1920x1080 as much of an upgrade over 1280x1024.  If the problem is running out of vertical space, adding more horizontal space adds more load on the video card but doesn't actually help much.

Now I have 2560 pixels of vertical space.  I don't use all of that for a web browser; I generally set it to about 1800 pixels or so of height, as looking all the way up to the top to read is awkward.  Constantly looking all the way into the corner is awkward for games; playing Champions Online was hurting my neck until I rearranged the UI to put some things on the center monitor rather than the far corner.

But then there is the issue of breaking the bank.  Three monitors at $540 each is over $1600 just for the monitors.  I'm planning on keeping them for a long time.  I upgraded from two 1280x1024 monitors, and I got a lot of years out of those.
    edited April 2017
    is this a 2k monitor? I was looking at this one from dell.  
    what do you all think about this instead of 4k 

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-27-gaming-monitor-s2716dg/apd/210-agjr/monitors-monitor-accessories