Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! Need a game for 3 Players.

LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
Need help. I'm looking for an MMO or online game for 3 players. Myself (35), and my two sons, 13 and 10.
I've been playing Mechwarrior Online for the past year or so.. before that Darkfall.

I don't want to bring my kids into Mechwarrior, so I need another game.

We've tried Borderlands 2, and Path of Exile. I personally don't care for BL2 because it's just too GO GO GO.. Path of Exile, the same, and I'm  not really
I kinda want a game that I can just chill with them, sometimes... Or that the combat is slower.. Small breaks between fights.

I really wish City of Heroes was still around, that would be an AMAZING game with my kids.
Not sure about Champions, maybe I could give it another try...

But really, need suggestions.

I'm looking for a slower paced game that we can develop out characters in.
Action Combat would be preferable to Tab Target. I don't really want to play Tab Target.

Comments

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Marvel Heroes is a lot of fun and I feel it would be great to play with your kids.  You can download it on Steam or at the official website.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Maybe DDO or ESO maybe?  Although ESO might be too mature.
  • kaeoltaekaeoltae Member UncommonPosts: 18
    depending on what you like there are a few games out there there is- star trek online , lord of the rings, if you have any of the old games- star wars galaxies EMU, dark age of camelot (uthgard) its a emu, EQ, EQ2, you looking sci-fi, fantasy, etc... 

• StellaBellaStellaBella Member UncommonPosts: 32
    edited April 2017
    Perhaps Conan Exiles, kids will love the sliders.

There is another game wish i could remember name but its in beta atm and its fantasy based the attributes are more in line with old school AD&D game but you pretty hang out in the tavern and form a group to go dungeon fighting and you can pick the size of the dungeon ill see if i can find the name of it.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    could try DCUO or LoTRO , Dragon Nest has great Action combat with good pacing ..and a world that your kids may enjoy
    looks like it is Kings and Heroes through steam early access but you have to pay for it =/

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    kaeoltae said:
    looks like it is Kings and Heroes through steam early access but you have to pay for it =/

really , really buggy ... cannot recomend at this time

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    DDO is really fun. I played that with my son. He loved it, and I loved it. But its very complex to build a good character(he just built shit builds and I carried him). He loves minecraft, too. But I can't really get in to it. Also... Rift is fun. He loves warframe. I'm not good at those games. We both enjoyed EQ2.

Kings and heroes, imo, is a joke. Do not buy.

If you're into retro games try Ninth Society - cheap and fun. Of course, that's my opinion, and I love retro games.
  • LustmordLustmord Member UncommonPosts: 1,114
    edited April 2017
    Thanks everyone.

I'm leaning toward DDO or Dragons Nest.
    I used to play Dragons Nest for a minute, that was a fun game.

What about NeverWinter?
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    I would recommend Dragon Age: Inquisition co-op multiplayer.  Plenty of hours and it plays similar like an MMO.  I would also recommend SWTOR since you can have a little fun with the dialog options to see who in the party decides how an NPC conversation plays out.  Plus you would be able to handle the majority of the content easily with three people. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Dragon Nest is good for casual play with non-optimal and/or not full groups. All combat takes place in instances with selectable difficulty to scale it for your skill level or group size. Since you don't need a full group nobody is rushing ahead of you and complaining that you're going at your own pace.

They are a little heavy handed with the cash shop, but it's playable without spending money.

Not a huge issue, but depending on the maturity of your children some of the content may not be entirely age appropriate. No nudity or anything like that. If they can watch Sailor Moon they'll probably be ok.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    My kid liked Marvel Heroes when he was 8. Played a bit of GW2, and dabbled in EQ & DCUO as well. EQ and DCUO were a bit over his head at the time, but he still had fun running around.

Now he's all about Roblox and Minecraft
  • Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177
    minecraft probably

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited April 2017
    I personally never liked action games, the longest I was able to bear DCUO and Neverwinter, both for the setting, lore, writing and such (and eventually the gameplay was which broke the proverbial camel's back). With that in mind :wink:

"Not sure about Champions, maybe I could give it another try...
    Action Combat would be preferable to Tab Target. I don't really want to play Tab Target."
    Champions is a fun game but it is tab-target, so probably not a good match. (It has an active block if that counts...)
    If superheroes theme is something the kids like, go with DCUO instead. As an MMO it's not very "deep" but as an action game it is very popular so I guess it is good (can't say, since I don't like its combat :wink: ). You can play as a team, especially if you pick one from each of the three roles, that way you will be good even for the group contents. Can play on controllers too. I'd say the tone is kid-friendly, has nothing they couldn't see in comic books as well :wink:
    It's f2p so you can try and test it. The model is pretty harsh though, if you plan to stay for long it might be better for subbing. The All-Access subscription btw is also good for Planetside 2, which can be really good for short bursts in a team with supporting each other (on the other hand it might be too intense for a kid of 10)

"What about NeverWinter?"
    Neverwinter is a good game, and I loved the Foundry there. Gameplay is your textbook action-mmo, mouse aim, mouse button mashing, with a couple extra skills on your left hand. It's also f2p so easy to jump in, and can be played for free, during the leveling it is pretty friendly. However at the end you will bump into a massive grindwall... Tone is maybe a bit grittier for a kid than DCUO, but it's still pretty light (chasing pigs and chickens at the summer festival... :lol: ).

"I'm leaning toward DDO"
    DDO was one of the first games with action(-ish) combat, so it is a bit old, but a really good game still. (actually I don't even look at it as an action game, maybe due to nostalgia... really like DDO. But LotRO more)
    It's darker than Neverwinter, but more rewarding if you play in a dedicated group. As @Golelorn said, character building could be boring or complex to the smaller kid. Worths a try though, it just recently got a new playable race.
  • ethanlallaethanlalla Member UncommonPosts: 105
    SWTOR is excellent to share with other people, you can complete story together and you all get to interject on the conversation. Pretty awesome. It is tab target but it relies on some twitch control in order to properly move around the field, lots of leaping, pushing and grappling people. It is also stricter than most tab target games when it comes to facing your enemy to use an ability.
    Playing or interested in playing SWTOR? Use my referral link here and we will both get rewards! Including a week of game time for you, if you are a preferred status player! Click here for more info!
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Po_gg said:

"I'm leaning toward DDO"
    DDO was one of the first games with action(-ish) combat, so it is a bit old, but a really good game still. (actually I don't even look at it as an action game, maybe due to nostalgia... really like DDO. But LotRO more)
    It's darker than Neverwinter, but more rewarding if you play in a dedicated group. As @Golelorn said, character building could be boring or complex to the smaller kid. Worths a try though, it just recently got a new playable race.
    I liked the premise of DDO but gave up on it after finishing the tutorial island and arriving in the city where the only quest options were 300 copy paste "There are kobolds in my warehouse/sewer."

It also didn't help that being even a mild power gamer trivialized the difficulty. Get equipment with a damage enemy when they hit you effect and a good shield with high damage reduction and you just block while everything dies. Then I figured out that metamagic effects didn't increase the spell point cost of my spell like abilities and could go around one shotting bosses with chill touch that I could cast a hundred times each rest.

Still, I liked it enough to say it's worth trying out.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    i play swtor with my 10 year old.. maybe try that one out? 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear.