Mass Effect Andromeda Isn’t As Bad As You’ve Heard - The RPG Files at MMORPG.com

1234568»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember LegendaryPosts: 23,433
    edited April 2017
    DataDay said:
    Forgrimm said:
    DataDay said:
    ME:A doesn't belong here. Why push it?
    They've been covering non-mmo's for years.
    To this extent? I have been here for years and have only seen it get worse.

ME:A still doesnt belong here, nor do the other non mmorpgs.
    It's sort of a petty argument. There are people here who enjoy role playing games and it makes sense that they want to include them, especially since there isn't a lot of mmorpg news lately.

I know they are going to be putting a lot of more rpg news on their new site at some point. But then what? There are a few indies coming down the pike that may launch. If they do, great, some more news for a little while. And maybe there will be more indies?

No new large mmo's that I can think of other than a few possible Asian titles that might cross the pond. Is that really going to be enough to support a site?

I strongly suspect that some of us will eventually be going to their new site as there won't be an "mmorpg.com" if things don't change.

Post edited by Sovrath on

• DistopiaDistopia Baltimore, MDMember EpicPosts: 21,175
    DataDay said:
    Forgrimm said:
    DataDay said:

You don't decide what belongs here or doesn't...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ForgrimmForgrimm Somewhere in TimeMember EpicPosts: 2,783
    DataDay said:
    Forgrimm said:
    DataDay said:

When you purchase this website, then you'll get to make that decision. Until then, or until GameSpace is more established, they'll be covering non-mmo's like they have for years.
  • SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News Manager The CitadelMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 26,370
    Distopia said:
    DataDay said:

Forgrimm said:
    DataDay said:
    Forgrimm said:
    DataDay said:

When you purchase this website, then you'll get to make that decision. Until then, or until GameSpace is more established, they'll be covering non-mmo's like they have for years.
    Exactly.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DataDayDataDay Los Angeles, CAMember UncommonPosts: 1,470
    Distopia said:

I have never seen this level of superficial nonsense about a game ever.... 

Maybe you should spend some more time on social media reading what the people who make this kind of garbage product are saying. Would you go and tell them they are being superficial? PC culture is growing at EA and Bioware, there is causality. Quality is the casualty.

I get it though, you have an emotional attachment to the game and must defend it at all cost. Superficial, sure if you want to apply it to all positions, for those for and against the product. Keep in mind, IPs such as ME have existing fan bases, they are marketed and sold as being a continuation of that franchise. Certain expectations exist, and if they are not present, if the product is being messed up worse than a Marvel Comic, yeah some people will take issue with it.

Just as you can defend the product, others can trash it.

This still doesn't detract from the position that this game is constantly being defended and promoted by the staff here. This is simply bizarre behavior that reeks of some kind of EA sponsored or promoted content, which is response to the mass of horrible reviews its being given, aka damage control. Want to write that off as superficial too?

Agree to disagree, but I will still share my opinions and positions, just as you are staunchly lurk here defending something that's... after all,  just a game (superficial?).
  • DataDayDataDay Los Angeles, CAMember UncommonPosts: 1,470
    Distopia said:
    Yeah actually I can say what I THINK doesnt belong here. How dare I have a position right? Lets just shut people up and posture like some neogaf moderator on a high horse because they say such things right?

I have been here since 2006, I think can safely have OPINIONS on the direction of where this site has been going. You can ignore it, so can they. No one is saying they have to adhere to every dictate of one user, but gee you certainly seem to come to that conclusion.

What a joke.
  • SBFordSBFord Associate Editor - News Manager The CitadelMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 26,370
    DataDay said:
    Distopia said:

Maybe you should spend some more time on social media reading what the people who make this kind of garbage product are saying. Would you go and tell them they are being superficial? PC culture is growing at EA and Bioware, there is causality. Quality is the casualty.

I get it though, you have an emotional attachment to the game and must defend it at all cost. Superficial, sure if you want to apply it to all positions, for those for and against the product. Keep in mind, IPs such as ME have existing fan bases, they are marketed and sold as being a continuation of that franchise. Certain expectations exist, and if they are not present, if the product is being messed up worse than a Marvel Comic, yeah some people will take issue with it.

This still doesn't detract from the position that this game is constantly being defended and promoted by the staff here. This is simply bizarre behavior that reeks of some kind of EA sponsored or promoted content, which is response to the mass of horrible reviews its being given, aka damage control. Want to write that off as superficial too?

Agree to disagree, but I will still share my opinions and positions, just as you are staunchly lurk here defending something that's... after all,  just a game (superficial?).
    Oh here comes the "sponsored or promoted" content thing again. We always clearly mark sponsored articles. None of these are sponsored in any way shape or form.

But here's a revolutionary thought: How about the staff members who have written positively about the game overall simply like it? That is possible, you know. 

I like MEA quite a bit even with its issues. In my gaming world, I don't give one single rat's ass about what devs or publishers think politically. I am quite capable of making my own determination about what I think is or is not important to my own and my family's well-being. I don't look to games to tell me what I should be thinking and neither should you. If it's offensive, don't play it. It's pretty simple, really.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

edited April 2017
    DataDay said:
    Distopia said:

Superficial as far as a game's problems go, there not being enough skin tones, is a very superficial complaint.... I can't think of a single other time that that was presented as a problem with a game, which many games have limited hues to choose from. 

I didn't say a word about people trashing the game, that doesn't bother me in the slightest. All i said was such complaints are silly, that's not getting emotional. Outside of finding it humorous.

As far as emotional attachment goes, I'm not the one going to absurd lengths to find the most inane issues to complain about. Nor am I attached to the ME franchise in any way, I only like this one because it stepped out of the corridor based, led by your nose approach of the earlier entries. 

So carry on pretending that sharing thoughts in an active discussion means someone is "emotionally attached". That's as absurd as the complaints you're pushing...
    Post edited by Distopia on

edited April 2017
    DataDay said:
    Distopia said:
    Yeah actually I can say what I THINK doesnt belong here. How dare I have a position right? Lets just shut people up and posture like some neogaf moderator on a high horse because they say such things right?

I have been here since 2006, I think can safely have OPINIONS on the direction of where this site has been going. You can ignore it, so can they. No one is saying they have to adhere to every dictate of one user, but gee you certainly seem to come to that conclusion.

What a joke.
    You can say what you want, I didn't say don't say that, I said you don't decide that. I've been here since 05 what the hell does that do for me? It certainly doesn't give me control of their content.
    Post edited by Distopia on

• IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,440
    Meanwhile back on my second playthrough (as melee this time using MikeB's build) still having a blast going between SP and multiplayer MEA.

“That's how the madness of the world tries to colonize you: from the outside in, forcing you to live in its reality.” 
    ― Jeff VanderMeerAnnihilation
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Austin, TXMember RarePosts: 2,125
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:
    idk how bad is bad or "what you've heard" but i would give it a 5/10.
    6/10 to me is  barely playable but i will play it,5/10 means it is ok but i won't play it.
    I feel people are way too easy and generous when handing out scores,i guess with limited knowledge i can understand it.It is like asking a soccer player to rate a baseball game.

I look to the main core design aspects,then i decide are any of them good?

graphics?They do nothing for me
    Story..again does nothing for me,cs's are not even done very well,poorly actually.
    combat?Hell no,sub par.
    mapping/layout...boring,does nothing for me.
    peripherals?I saw some,not enough to make up for he rest of the game.

How can you even begin to rate something you haven't played? Do you also rate books you haven't read and movies you haven't watched?

You and many others here just want to get in on the action of discussing a game that's being discussed everywhere without having played a minute of it for fear of being left out of discussing a hot topic. I get that.

But where do you get off giving it a numerical score?

You never fail to amuse.

I often read 3-5 pages chosen randomly, in a book I'm considering getting.  If the author is doing a poor job of writing, I don't buy the book!.   Doesn't require reading the whole thing to make the determination.  

So you feel qualified to assign the book a number from 1-10 after those 3-5 pages and discuss your rating with those who did read the book and base their rating on first-hand knowledge of the whole thing? Good to know. 

I absolutely feel qualified to NOT BUY the product if the sample is sadly deficit.

Now if friends whose tastes I trust tell me that it's worthwhile, I might consider retrying it.  But there's a ton of books, games, movies, etc; and no reason to waste your time and money on lackluster ones.  Even the people who are liking ME:A reveal aspects of the game that pretty much assure me that I'm not going to like it.

People's tastes differ.   And you can certainly like something that is really not done well.  But it is better if you realize it.

But I'm talking about Wizardry giving it a 5/10 without ever playing it.

Got anything to say about rating something that you just sampled on a 1-10 scale and trying to pass that rating off as being valid?

That's what my post that you responded to was about. Not some generic tangent about whether he liked what he has seen enough to buy it.

Number grading is for the TLDR crowd.   You might like a game for what it does, and it could be the exact same thing that makes me dislike it.  Numbers won't tell you. 

So, agreed that the 5/10 ranking is bogus.  But all those numbers are bogus to me.  

I can tell by looking at the available material that my wallet is not opening for the ME:A.  Don't think it's worth it.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• AzothAzoth montreal, QCMember UncommonPosts: 835
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:
    idk how bad is bad or "what you've heard" but i would give it a 5/10.
    6/10 to me is  barely playable but i will play it,5/10 means it is ok but i won't play it.
    I feel people are way too easy and generous when handing out scores,i guess with limited knowledge i can understand it.It is like asking a soccer player to rate a baseball game.

I look to the main core design aspects,then i decide are any of them good?

graphics?They do nothing for me
    Story..again does nothing for me,cs's are not even done very well,poorly actually.
    combat?Hell no,sub par.
    mapping/layout...boring,does nothing for me.
    peripherals?I saw some,not enough to make up for he rest of the game.

How can you even begin to rate something you haven't played? Do you also rate books you haven't read and movies you haven't watched?

You and many others here just want to get in on the action of discussing a game that's being discussed everywhere without having played a minute of it for fear of being left out of discussing a hot topic. I get that.

But where do you get off giving it a numerical score?

You never fail to amuse.

I often read 3-5 pages chosen randomly, in a book I'm considering getting.  If the author is doing a poor job of writing, I don't buy the book!.   Doesn't require reading the whole thing to make the determination.  

So you feel qualified to assign the book a number from 1-10 after those 3-5 pages and discuss your rating with those who did read the book and base their rating on first-hand knowledge of the whole thing? Good to know. 

I absolutely feel qualified to NOT BUY the product if the sample is sadly deficit.

Now if friends whose tastes I trust tell me that it's worthwhile, I might consider retrying it.  But there's a ton of books, games, movies, etc; and no reason to waste your time and money on lackluster ones.  Even the people who are liking ME:A reveal aspects of the game that pretty much assure me that I'm not going to like it.

People's tastes differ.   And you can certainly like something that is really not done well.  But it is better if you realize it.

But I'm talking about Wizardry giving it a 5/10 without ever playing it.

Got anything to say about rating something that you just sampled on a 1-10 scale and trying to pass that rating off as being valid?

That's what my post that you responded to was about. Not some generic tangent about whether he liked what he has seen enough to buy it.

Number grading is for the TLDR crowd.   You might like a game for what it does, and it could be the exact same thing that makes me dislike it.  Numbers won't tell you. 

So, agreed that the 5/10 ranking is bogus.  But all those numbers are bogus to me.  

I can tell by looking at the available material that my wallet is not opening for the ME:A.  Don't think it's worth it.

The bogus part is not the number, it's the fact that someone that never played the game feel that he can give a number at all.
  • JyiigaJyiiga Seneca, SCMember UncommonPosts: 1,115
    edited April 2017
    I made it about four hours into this game and I called it quits. Maybe I did not make it far enough. However, way to many little problems for my taste and extremely weak when compared to any of the first three games. A detached main character, who seems indifferent about everything going on around her. Forgettable characters with subpar voice acting. An entire crew of people that should be intimately familiar with one another considering their mission, yet they all act like they just met. Grade school quality banter during combat that makes me cringe when I hear it.

The combination of all of those things left me completely detached from all of them and wondering why I was still playing this game. They seem neither fearful of the situation they are in or in awe of being in a new galaxy. They simply, are. That is not enough to keep me playing and has resulted in me adding my 2 cents to this thread and my rather poor score to metacritic.

The big problem here is, even if they improve the next game greatly.. I will still need to play this one to know what the hell is going on. I'm not sure I will be willing to muscle down my gag reflex that long. At this point I had it refunded. I would go further, but then I would be outside of the refund policy. Oh well.
    Post edited by Jyiiga on
  • lyinggod0lyinggod0 Poulsbo, WAMember UncommonPosts: 8
    "Mass Effect Andromeda Isn’t As Bad As You’ve Heard"

Yes it is and the issues have nothing to do with the graphics, cinematics, animations, or mechanics. The new patch exasperates needless issues built into the game. Fortunately, I waited a bit on buying it and now that these problems are revealed, I wont; especially since the publisher seems intent on making the issues worse instead of just removing them.

I would be more specific but in the 21st century, expressing a contrary opinion is likely to get one pepper sprayed or (verbally) attacked because free speech means "no dissenting opinions, ever". Its what makes America already great.
  • FuriantFuriant Baltimore, MDMember UncommonPosts: 28
    edited April 2017
    Ozmodan said:
    Furiant said:

I'm so tired of reviewers telling me that I'm some mindless drone in the social media hive mind. Social media is a bunch of people. You use social media -- how did you manage to escape the mob mentality?

Give us a little credit please. I'm an adult and capable of forming my own opinions, thank you. And ME:A is exactly as bad as I would have me believe.

Another obvious post by someone who did not play the game.  Just regurgitating someone else's negative opinion is rather sad. 

Personally still playing the game and despite a few minor bugs I had a blast playing it.  Too bad you are missing out.
    ROFL no.
    Post edited by Furiant on