Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO - Kind of a stationary build?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I bought ESO a while back but never gave it much of a chance.  I found the combat difficult.  I suck at moving and attacking at the same time, and I suck even more at double-tap dodging.

Anyway, I hear mostly good things about the game, so I was thinking of trying it.  Is there any kind of mostly stationary, turret-type class/build to play?  Maybe a mage with a pet?  I'd mostly play solo.

Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I also play solo and have played each class.  I found Sorc easiest to level, because of the pets you have time to get away if you get in over your head and they are ok as tanks.  Then they buffed Templar and he eats through content like butter, nice tank with good heals.  The others are OK and I use them for a change of pace.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Does the sorc pet tank like a WoW hunter pet?

Is Templar good for solo?  I like grouping, too, but I just want to DPS.  Don't want to tank or heal.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Probably a Templar or Dragonknight for tanking.  They are pretty straight forward.  The Sorc does have a pet.  It's OK for a tank pet.  Also, in June, the Warden should be a pretty good class for you, because of the Bear pet ultimate. 

I personally play a stamina Sorc.  I have a few spells, combined with a buff that essentially can heal me through the damage of 7-8 mobs at once.  It's fun, but a bit tougher to play, since you have to constantly recast your buffs to stay alive. 

Oh and no, ESO pets don't really act like WoW pets.  There are only a couple, and they act more as support.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I have double tap dodge turned off and have it bound to the shift key.. I bound sprint to the alt key. Works great for me :)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    A magicka-based sorcerer (with or without pets) or magicka templar if you want to DPS. Healers also need to move much less than others.

Any class using melee weapons that puts you close to bosses requires the most movement.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MegilindirMegilindir Member UncommonPosts: 223
    I think some Dragonknight tank is just for you. You can sit and hold mb2 button for years. I know people who do.

beLIEve

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    a magicka templar IMO

you can stand there and faceroll and not die (when you solo) and still kill quite well even if you are a healer. the only catch is you need to not be interrupted. 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    edited March 2017

Is Templar good for solo?  I like grouping, too, but I just want to DPS.  Don't want to tank or heal.
    yes and your DPS will heal you automatically. you may not want to heal and just DPS but if you are  a magicka templar your heals will be good no matter what.

you will get a huge spammable instant heal that you can use while being a DPS build. magicka templar also have good support skills as well for grouping.
    OK, thanks for all the advice!

If I do go Magicka Templar and I want to do group content, will I be expected to act as a healer?
    edited March 2017
    OK, thanks for all the advice!

If I do go Magicka Templar and I want to do group content, will I be expected to act as a healer?
    Not unless you queue as one to get the group finder to pop 10X faster :)

I do have one character that started out as a magicka DPS templar but she got seduced by the faster queue time and is now a full-time healer. She is the #1 procurer of items and monster masks in hard mode dungeons for all my other characters because with healers and tanks you can choose one specific dungeon to do and still get a group quickly. DPS not so much.

She also wears all white gear because, you know, nurse fetish :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Thanks!

This is going to sound stupid, but for solo content at least, can I get away without dodging?
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Thanks!

This is going to sound stupid, but for solo content at least, can I get away without dodging?
    Yes.  Just remember your self heals - most basic archtypes have one or two.   Plus, if you want I have friends that use a game controller with their PC - they find it plays easier for them.   Dodging isn't so difficult with a controller.
    Teala said:
    Thanks!

Yes.  Just remember your self heals - most basic archtypes have one or two.   Plus, if you want I have friends that use a game controller with their PC - they find it plays easier for them.   Dodging isn't so difficult with a controller.

Hmm, a controller might work.  Are they just plug and play?  I could pick one up at everyone's favorite electronics store, Best Buy?
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Teala said:
    Thanks!

Hmm, a controller might work.  Are they just plug and play?  I could pick one up at everyone's favorite electronics store, Best Buy?
    Yeah it has full controller support, plug and play.  I have used my playstation controller in the past but it wasn't supported as well as my xbox one, especially if you use windows as your operating system.  I ended up buying a new xbox controller this last year would suggest going that route.  You can get it through amazon pretty cheap also with free shipping if you have the membership also. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I got an xbox controller along time ago and with Win 10 it usually finds it right away and it's works well with a lot of games that are bad ports to pc.  Haven't tried it with ESO as the keyboard and mouse work pretty good for me.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Controllers all feel awkward to me after 10 years of playing MMOs with a multi-button gaming mouse. It's a much better experience than any controller for me.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED