Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people think computers are expensive?

1235»

Comments

• ArthurDavisArthurDavis Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    Because they are!)
    And this btc and mining stuff is just killing dreams of average gamer to buy a good PC
    AlBQuirky
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Akulas said:
    Once immunization gets out computer prices will drop due to (where I live anyways) computer shops pretty much on pause until further notice. 2-4k for a modern gaming setup isn't an unreasonable expectation.
    At the moment the price increase is caused by crypto craze, not by covid, and the prices will not come down as long as the crypto craze continues.
    AlBQuirky

• AugustusGAugustusG Member UncommonPosts: 73
    edited March 2021
    Someone menioned the semiconductor crisis? Price are higher than usualy these days because of the shortage.
    AlBQuirky
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    AugustusG said:
    Someone menioned the semiconductor crisis? Price are higher than usualy these days because of the shortage.
    Even when the shortage ends they will keep the higher prices.
    AlBQuirky

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,814
    edited March 2021
    In 1980, I used to buy computers for Motorola to do chip design. A 300 mb disk was the size of a washing machine, and cost $15,000 in 1980 dollars.

The other day, I went into WalMart and bought a 32gb memory stick for $10. In 1980 terms, that would be 100 washing machines for a total of $1,500,000. You would also need a building to house the 100 washing machines.

Computers are cheap now.
    Post edited by olepi on
    AlBQuirkyScot

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Most people live on credit,meaning money they don' have so to claim PC's are cheap is a fabrication based on how we live.
    AlBQuirkySandmanjw

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    edited November 2022
    Sigh.

So the OP thinks computers are cheap because he has plenty of money.

Even the first answer already disproves him, easily.

I so utterly fail to see the point of this thread.

olepi said:
    In 1980,
     [...]
    Computers are cheap now.
    I'm pretty sure this thread is about computers who can run current games.

Wizardry said:
    Most people live on credit,meaning money they don' have so to claim PC's are cheap is a fabrication based on how we live.

I never ever had debt. And I know nobody who ever hinted they had debt.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Sigh.

I so utterly fail to see the point of this thread....
    It's more than 5 years old thread. At this point there's no sense in continuing the discussion on computer prices in 2017.
    ScotAdamantine

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Vrika said:
    Sigh.

I so utterly fail to see the point of this thread....
    It's more than 5 years old thread. At this point there's no sense in continuing the discussion on computer prices in 2017.

Drat. I really should always check this first.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    I have a Xbox Series X for about $500 bucks and playing games at 60-120 FPS at 4k. My 4070 card after tax (canadian) cost me about $900. PC's are way to costly. They used to be the cheap option for gaming. That's no longer the case. Valve rumors are pointing to a PC console. They maybe making it or someone else will be and  Valve will be supporting it. That just maybe the end of me upgrading my gaming PC. 
  • MerynnMerynn Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    In the CVV selling scene, Cronozshop.cc is a reliable choice. It's been solid for me definitely among the top auto shop in the game.
  • AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,122
    Nanfoodle said:
    I have a Xbox Series X for about $500 bucks and playing games at 60-120 FPS at 4k. My 4070 card after tax (canadian) cost me about $900. PC's are way to costly. They used to be the cheap option for gaming. That's no longer the case. Valve rumors are pointing to a PC console. They maybe making it or someone else will be and  Valve will be supporting it. That just maybe the end of me upgrading my gaming PC. 

I'm 50 years old and don't remember a time when PCs were ever cheaper than consoles. They've always been the higher end option for gaming. The benefit being you get a lot more horsepower for the money and a PC is upgradeable whereas the console is a closed box. 

The only reason PCs are so absurdly expensive now is the graphics card. GPUs are in high demand for crypto and now they're also in high demand for AI. Go Google "how many GPUs does it take to run ChatGPT" and you'll quickly learn where a big slice of the current GPU demand is. If you didn't have to get a $1000+ video card the rest of the components are within budget for most gamers who actually have a job.  I just upgraded my son's PC with a 1TB SATA SSD for example. It was under $100.
    Asm0deus
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Angrakhan said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I'm 50 years old and don't remember a time when PCs were ever cheaper than consoles. They've always been the higher end option for gaming. The benefit being you get a lot more horsepower for the money and a PC is upgradeable whereas the console is a closed box. 

The only reason PCs are so absurdly expensive now is the graphics card. GPUs are in high demand for crypto and now they're also in high demand for AI. Go Google "how many GPUs does it take to run ChatGPT" and you'll quickly learn where a big slice of the current GPU demand is. If you didn't have to get a $1000+ video card the rest of the components are within budget for most gamers who actually have a job.  I just upgraded my son's PC with a 1TB SATA SSD for example. It was under $100.
    I remeber in the early 2000s building a solid gaming PC for about $400. Take into account the cost of PC games over consoles. It was the way to save money. I was done with consoles back then. Full circle now. Consoles are the cheaper option. 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Dunno... I just bought an MSI system for $699 with a 4060 and i5 13600
    Looks like I will finally be retiring my old 1060

Nanfoodle

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,122
    Nanfoodle said:
    Angrakhan said:
    Nanfoodle said:

I remeber in the early 2000s building a solid gaming PC for about $400. Take into account the cost of PC games over consoles. It was the way to save money. I was done with consoles back then. Full circle now. Consoles are the cheaper option. 

Original price of the Xbox in 2001 was $299. 2001 Nvidia GeForce 3 500ti price was $349. Then you had to build the rest of the machine. Launch titles were only $10 more than PC games, so your memories of saving money are largely rose colored glasses wrapped in back-in-the-good-ol-days rather than facts.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited December 2023
    Angrakhan said:
    Nanfoodle said:

This.

PC have always been more expensive full stop.  Games even back in the days of nes were more expensive on console due to the fact it was kind hard to pirate catridges etc though cd games on ps kind of changed that if you installed a chip in your console to allow it to play some nice copied to verbatim cd/dvd... lol

Back then I was more a console guy due to not being able to afford the cost of a decent gaming PC.

400$ only got you some crapola office PC that wasn't really able to play games and was difficult to upgrade unless you were up to shenanigans.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 635
    An odd question.  If you make 100, something that is 50 dollars is expensive.  Whereas if you make 700, 50 is pretty reasonable.  The same goes for everything else.  It's not the item that is expensive, it's your income relative to the price that determines expense.
    DigDuggy said:
    An odd question.  If you make 100, something that is 50 dollars is expensive.  Whereas if you make 700, 50 is pretty reasonable.  The same goes for everything else.  It's not the item that is expensive, it's your income relative to the price that determines expense.

That's a bit of s simplistic argument IMO.  I think most people would determine if something is expensive based on its price point compared to other similar products and  the income of the average person or average wage.

If I make 1 mill a year or under 100k a year will most likely affect whether or not I care about paying more or less I do not think it changes how expensive something is...just maybe how much I care about it or not.

DigDuggy

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 635
    Asm0deus said:
    DigDuggy said:

That's a bit of s simplistic argument IMO.  I think most people would determine if something is expensive based on its price point compared to other similar products and  the income of the average person or average wage.

If I make 1 mill a year or under 100k a year will most likely affect whether or not I care about paying more or less I do not think it changes how expensive something is...just maybe how much I care about it or not.

When I read the original post, I read 'expensive' as the ability to pay as opposed to the literal meaning.  I probably misread it.  Expensive would definitely be perceived differently when you compare like items and you have outliers that put something into the overly expensive or very cheap category.

Asm0deus
    DigDuggy said:
    Asm0deus said:
    DigDuggy said:

When I read the original post, I read 'expensive' as the ability to pay as opposed to the literal meaning.  I probably misread it.  Expensive would definitely be perceived differently when you compare like items and you have outliers that put something into the overly expensive or very cheap category.

The OP was conflating the two ideas in a flawed comparison.  btw OP is an old necro from 2017!

My post was from the point of view of that post I quoted.