Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do people think computers are expensive?

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    It's all a matter of perspective.  A person who makes 25k a year might think a 2500 computer expensive whereas a person making 75k might not.  Same goes for cars, houses, beef........
    AlBQuirkySovrath

I self identify as a monkey.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited November 2020
    Nanfoodle said:
    Smartphones alone, over a life time people will spend $75,354 on cell phones.
    ...you can't even read the source of that dumb, bs numbers:
    Lastly, according to a new forecast from Sensor Tower Store Intelligence data, the average iPhone user spends around $88 per year on premium apps and in-app purchases, which equates to about $5,280 over a lifetime, bringing the grand total to a whopping $75,354.
    Post edited by Gdemami on
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well 2-3k is a lot of money to a lot of people.I am sure most realize that the whole world revolves around credit,spending money we don't even have.

people often barely have $100 bucks left from a paycheck and then want to feel some enjoyment from that 100 so they buy a case of beer,maybe take the family out to watch the car races or whatever.Then no money left and even if they did nothing,it would be tough to do nothing for an entire year and save every 100 to amount to 1200 in total.

Something always comes up,buy the kids clothes,shoes,some toy,some needed item,we need stuff maybe need to repair a fence,replace a window,the vehicle needs new tires,LOADS of expenses to eat up our money.

Point being not many have 2-3k just laying around that warrants spending  on a new PC instead of maybe something more important.

I have about 22k in the bank and I have no inclination to buy a new PC it is not a necessary item.At one time young and foolish yeah but now I am more in line with LTT prediction/opinion that the avg user upgrades 5-8 years.
    SovrathNanfoodleAlBQuirky

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,378
    edited November 2020
    You don't need a flawed analogy to understand that for people with a limited budget, a gaming PC can be expensive. This goes basically for anything that is seen as luxury product (gaming pc that is, not normal pc).

Gaming PC's also become outdated a lot faster then other electronic products.
    You guys totally missed the whole point, which was I hear people, who have 15k snowmobiles, 30k campers, 15k atvs, tell me 2k for a computer is too much, and its not. I didn't say hey guys, you think a guy who can only afford to just get by, would think a 2k computer is a alot of money. 

One big difference in those items you are comparing is that all those atv, campers and skidoos is that even 5 or 7 years down the line if they haven't been used much or have been well maintained they will keep their value, a computer not so much.

You can't really compare them like you are doing.  Computers are far more a disposable item than a car or any of the things you mentioned and are more akin to a tv than any kind of motorized vehicle.

Also I wager most people do not think of PC gaming like a "hobby" anymore than they think watching movies or tv is a "hobby", at least not in the same way hunting or any other of those things you mentioned can be veiwed as a hobby.

Yes I know it's the thread that just wont die but I hadn't noticed it before and thought it was interesting so yea necromancy is me!

NanfoodleSovrathAlBQuirky

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,812
    Because they are. When a new graphics card is launching for more than a next gen console, you don't get to pretend that PC gaming is value gaming.
    xpsyncAlBQuirkyachesomadragonlee66
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Aeander said:
    Because they are. When a new graphics card is launching for more than a next gen console, you don't get to pretend that PC gaming is value gaming.
    It really becomes a life style choice. I have dropped buying consoles myself and I use my gaming PC + a Nvidia Shield to stream my games to the living room for 4k Ray Tracing fun. I also use my PC as a media server. So I try and make the most of what I have spent on my over priced PC. Its the only way I can justify spending that much on a PC.
    Asm0deusAlBQuirky
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Same reason people respond to threads necroed by bots...?
    Nah, that really doesn't fit, does it?
    AlBQuirky

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    It’s all relative. A kickass gaming pc is a heck of a lot cheaper than my yearly property taxes ;)
    AlBQuirky

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    laserit said:
    It’s all relative. A kickass gaming pc is a heck of a lot cheaper than my yearly property taxes ;)
    I also love all the ways to can buy games allot cheaper on PC. There are 10 Web sites I hit every day for PC deals. I have gotten new titles for as low at 60% off, last years top games for just a few bucks. 
    laseritAlBQuirky
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I think as a whole PC gaming is quite a bit more expensive than just buying a console and playing it. But that doesn't mean I don't think it's worth it. I think being able to buy a new part and see the difference from medium to maximum graphic settings on a game is great, whereas you are always locked on a console. But the simplicity of a console I think is pretty appealing, load a disc or push a button on the game and go. 
    laseritAlBQuirky
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    You get a lot of gaming for the dollar with a console. They are without a doubt a bargain compared to a PC when it comes to gaming.

As far as I'm concerned a console has artificial barriers preventing it from being a full fledged PC.
    NanfoodleAmatheAlBQuirky

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    laserit said:
    You get a lot of gaming for the dollar with a console. They are without a doubt a bargain compared to a PC when it comes to gaming.

I agree, as to gaming. But you can do a lot more than game on a pc. So there is that for added value. 
    AlBQuirkylaserit

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,346
    This thread is so old that computer prices have changed since it was created.
    AlBQuirkyGdemamidragonlee66[Deleted User]
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,812
    Amathe said:
    laserit said:

I agree, as to gaming. But you can do a lot more than game on a pc. So there is that for added value. 
    Yes, but how many do? 

I use my PC for gaming and for netflix. I can do both of these on my console, for less.

I agree that if you're an engineer or a graphic designer, there is a value argument for a high end pc, but otherwise, it's just a premium platform.
    Gdemami
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Aeander said:
    Amathe said:
    laserit said:

Yes, but how many do? 

I use my PC for gaming and for netflix. I can do both of these on my console, for less.

I agree that if you're an engineer or a graphic designer, there is a value argument for a high end pc, but otherwise, it's just a premium platform.
    Many players use their PC for "other" things. Do consoles have an "MS Office" equivalent? How about a simple calculator or paint function? Can you create digital maps on consoles? Write a book? Edit photos?

I agree if "all you do is game", consoles are much cheaper. Otherwise, no contest :)
    Nanfoodle[Deleted User]Sal1

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GorweGorwe Member Posts: 1,421
    Can you edit config files or mod as easily on the consoles? Because when you are missing few skill points, you can solve that easily on PC(edits, mods, trainers etc). How about consoles?
    NanfoodleAlBQuirky
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,805
    In 1980, I was a manager at a tech company and used to buy computers for IC chip design. One time I used the prices in 1980 to see what my home PC would cost in 1980.

In 1980, a 300mb disk was the size of a washing machine and cost $15,000. I have 3 Tb on my home PC, so that is 9,000 washing machines (which would require an entire building), at a cost of $135 MILLION dollars. That is just for the disk.

Computers have become a lot cheaper over the years.
    AlBQuirky

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367
    Gorwe said:
    Can you edit config files or mod as easily on the consoles? Because when you are missing few skill points, you can solve that easily on PC(edits, mods, trainers etc). How about consoles?
    Yeah, for me the modding scene and the usually better keyboard and mouse support are worth it.   But with this latest console releae, the power and price ratio has been changing.
    AlBQuirky

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• JusinaJusina Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    I I recently bought a computer for 3,000 and I also think it's a lot. If I could buy a cheaper computer, I think I would, but I need a little better job. The price admits question a bit strange because people have different situations in life - some will buy a car for 15,000 and say it's cool for them and others will buy a wardrobe for their home for 500 and for them it's a lot.
    AlBQuirky
  • tr085528tr085528 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited January 2021
    I don't understand why people think a computer like a 7700k 1080ti are expensive. It's like 1400 if you make it your self, or most 2000. Maybe 2500 if you buy a higher end 4k monitor. A spacebar counter computer is usefully 24 7 , most people who have one use it 5 through 14 hours a day. They last up to 5 plus years.

So are the majority of gamers just generally more poor compared to every one else? Or what is it. I mean snowmobiles are just one. Race cars, 4 wheelers, sports cars, hunting, intact almost every hobby is 10 times more expensive than pc gaming.
    Post edited by tr085528 on
    AlBQuirky
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 523
    tr085528 said:
    I don't understand why people think a computer like a 7700k 1080ti are expensive. It's like 1400 if you make it your self, or most 2000. Maybe 2500 if you buy a higher end 4k monitor. A computer is usefully 24 7 , most people who have one use it 5 through 14 hours a day. They last up to 5 plus years.

So are the majority of gamers just generally more poor compared to every one else? Or what is it. I mean snowmobiles are just one. Race cars, 4 wheelers, sports cars, hunting, intact almost every hobby is 10 times more expensive than pc gaming.
    It is quite simple...

What is pocket change for some, can be a good bit of others yearly income.

And, coming up with $1500 or more at one time, can be quite a thing if you live week to week on a paycheck. 

People are different, some can afford it easily, others have to make sacrifices to buy a computer. 
    AlBQuirky
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,516
    A lot of good things said.

Here is my view on things.

When it comes to video games you have a huge span of people that get into them, from all various walks, places, and fiscal elevations in society, I mean really the span is amazing at how many people play Computer Games and MMO's.

But the OP does make a very solid point about how almost every other hobby is designed for and around the people that have the disposable income to pay for it. 

Even consoles are built this way, where the hobby is only designed for the people that have enough disposable income to pay to get a new system every few years, as well re-buy their library of games.

This pretty much sets the entry bar for the hobby, and what it will cost to be a part of it, and those that want to get involved need to accept those costs or find some other hobby.

But with the rise of F2P MMO's, the bar has been set so low that there is no cost to entry, thus we now have a legion of gamers who are playing online games that don't have any kind of disposable income to invest into their hobby, in either the game itself or their own systems.

Fascinating thought overall.
    AlBQuirky
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• sergioshevcinisergioshevcini Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    In fact, a strange discussion. Obviously, a lot depends on the age of a particular gamer. Age and income are quite dependent on each other. If you are at a more or less adult age, you must have enough money for some elementary purchases such as games, a computer mouse, to at least to test an cps counter, a normal computer. If you are a child, it all depends on the goodwill of your parents. I do not mean any extremes when a computer costs 10,000 dollars.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    IF you wanted to game in the past you had to spend alot to get a good enough rig to play....In 2021, I don't thinkl I need the perfect rig anymore......Pretty good seems good enough now....Graphics aren't usually my top priority in a game anyway.
    AlBQuirky
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    Once immunization gets out computer prices will drop due to (where I live anyways) computer shops pretty much on pause until further notice. 2-4k for a modern gaming setup isn't an unreasonable expectation.
    AlBQuirky

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.