Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Public service announcement: LOL does not stand for "disagree".

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
Clicking LOL on someone else's post increases his score just like Agree, Awesome, or Insightful.

Comments

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Those people clicking LOL to disagree typically don't care about the scores and forum ranks.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    That's it - I'm LOLing everyone is this thread.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Yes it does. It means someone thinks your post is intensely amusing which is the closest we can come to saying something rude without us being booted off the site or sent a letter by the mods informing us that we've been given "a warning". Nice try though. 
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    Why is there no meme about MMORPG and their new website.... Did I miss it? :chuffed:
  • StormsoneStormsone Member UncommonPosts: 83
    I suggest we request a button to click that is named 'your a moron' that will solve everything. 90% of posts on this site will never happen because now a single click will say everything you ever want or needed to say. It would be much more convenient than having to write a whole post like this.
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Torval said:
    A couple things.

2. Gdemami is your friend for this.

I see it both ways, either something was chuckle funny or a comment is laughable, either way I'll lol it. When people lol my comments I figure they get a chuckle out of it either way. I get great satisfaction knowing that Gdemami is a happier dude because of my ridiculous comments.
    I had to LOL the #2 :P
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited March 2017
    [LOL] is something I do when I chuckle at something. I chuckle at blatantly silly things. Sometimes peoples posts are blatantly silly on purpose or unintentionally. I don't care if somebody gets points for it.

Quizzical is a very helpful person, yet I wish to present him with an LOL for this post regardless of its desired intent.

It's not insightful, it's not awesome, I don't agree... but I LOL'ed. Enjoy.

Oh yeah, feel free to shower me with LOLs regardless if you agree, found this awesome or insightful.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited March 2017
    Stormsone said:
    I suggest we request a button to click that is named 'your a moron' that will solve everything. 90% of posts on this site will never happen because now a single click will say everything you ever want or needed to say. It would be much more convenient than having to write a whole post like this.

It's "you're a moron", sorry. I know, I'm a being a grammar nazi, but if you're going to make a suggestion like that, you might as well spell it right. I don't know why people are so bothered by it. If someone laughed at your comment (sarcastically or not), or if they are a higher rank than you, this is the kind of place where the points don't matter.
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    I wish to present him with an LOL for this post regardless of its desired intent.
    Working As Intended.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,350
    Stormsone said:

It's "you're a moron", sorry. I know, I'm a being a grammar nazi, but if you're going to make a suggestion like that, you might as well spell it right. I don't know why people are so bothered by it. If someone laughed at your comment (sarcastically or not), or if they are a higher rank than you, this is the kind of place where the points don't matter.
    Well yes, that's the point.  The person dealing the insult can't spell.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    LOL
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    Not sure why it matters.  Who cares about "post score"?

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    IF someone says something absurd I'll use LOL. I try to make it a point to say why I find it absurd though. If It's just funny the LOL's reasoning goes without saying.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Distopia said:
    IF someone says something absurd I'll use LOL. I try to make it a point to say why I find it absurd though. If It's just funny the LOL's reasoning goes without saying.
    Yeah. Lol can be used no matter if you agree or not, it measures more that the post is funny. Of course funny can be intended or not, and smart or not but it still means it is amusing to read. I think post that makes me laugh deserve a point no matter if I agree with the content or not.

Post that makes me sigh is another matter but taking away score because someone disagree ain't good, it would be abused.
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Wait.. So LoL doesn't mean "Lament out loud"? Damn.. All this time I have been expressing grief and sorrow over certain postings..

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    MMOman101 said:
    Not sure why it matters.  Who cares about "post score"?
    Only people with low scores of course.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    edited March 2017
    Quizzical said:
    Clicking LOL on someone else's post increases his score just like Agree, Awesome, or Insightful.
    Who the hell cares?  Everyone knows what it really means and nobody gives two shits about points. 
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    LOL me please!!! :proud:
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited March 2017
    I have never paid attention to scores on this site. I have always thought the LOL button had two purposes based on context. 1) to ridicule ignorant comments without having replying, and 2) to laugh at genuinely funny comments.

At least those are the two contexts i always use LOL with.

If LOL is meant to be a form of agreement then there should be a thumbs down button. It doesn't make much sense to have 3 buttons that do the same thing.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    edited March 2017
    For me I use it for two different things.  One and the one I will use it the most for is if your post made me laugh, or is funny.   The second is because your post is the most ludicrous thing I have read and am rolling on the floor because of how stupid you are.  Either way I laughed and don't have to agree with you.  If you are worried about some forum scores you got nothing in your life at all really to look forward to do you.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Until i get a "rolls eyes" button the LOL will have to suffice. 

This have been a good conversation

• 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    Until there's a disagree button, yes it does. I use awesome for posts that actually make me laugh and LOL for posts I disagree with (although I usually try to respond with why I disagree instead of using LOL, but some posts are just so wrong on so many levels that it isn't worth the effort). 
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    i feel like this thread is really just a social experiment for people to post in if they would like to level up the lols. 
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Im just here to collect my Lols.