Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamers of mmorpg.com, what is the one MMO you use as a reference when you are judging a new game?

Comments

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited March 2017
    immodium said:
    Just an FYI, this is like 101 to review anything. Can't believe we have to argue over a simplest things to have a simple discussion, but hey, that's half the fun.

http://m.wikihow.com/Write-a-Review

6. Position this product or service among its peers.
    And I can't believe you omitted this from your quote.

Position this product or service among its peers. Think about where this product fits among similar products. You should certainly judge the product on its own merits.
    Since you don't do quotes fully I am going to help you a bit here :)

Position this product or service among its peers. Think about where this product fits among similar products. You should certainly judge the product on its own merits, but people reading your reviews will find it useful to have a reference to a restaurant they’re familiar with. This makes the comparison – and thus, the evaluation of whether to try a product or service – easier for readers of your review.

Which should take no more than a sentence of the entire review. For the people who found it hard to digest the review.

The entire review of the product should be based on it's own merits.

immodium said:
    immodium said:
    Mine is simple. You say a game has good graphics, what game are you comparing to? You think an MMO has a vast world? What game are you comparing it to. And so on... It is as simple as that. 

That's probably why you don't review games as you can't judge a game on it's own merits without having to compare it to others.

No reviewer worth their salt claims a certain mechanic in a game is good because it's similar to another game they liked.
    How do they do that? 
    Well, what most reviewers do is delve deep into the mechanics of the game and how they work, how well they work and whether they complement each other well.

Then they usually give a verdict on whether they like it or not.

A good reviewer can easily review a game without a point of reference. Well, unless they're biased.

Also, you don't have to have had experience of something to pass judgement on it.

If it was then something new and innovative that comes out in a game can't be judged, as no one has a point of reference.

Which is nonsense.
    Without a reference how can you know if it's new or innovative? 
    So let me get this straight, you wouldn't pass judgement on anything you have never experienced before?

Sorry for lowering the tone but what about the first time you reached orgasm? You didn't judge that experience because you didn't have a point of reference?

If so, why not?

I'm not asking you to compare it with anything, I'm asking you to pass judgement on it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Distopia said:
    Vrika said:

I agree.

There's a huge difference between picking up a reference, especially if it's done in advance like OP suggests, and making a judgement.

There are people who feel more comfortable by having detailed requirements on what they want, a point of reference. They judge new games based on how well those fit their list of requirements.

And there are people who are more open-minded about looking a fun game. They are ready to simply ask others 'is the game fun', and if the answer is positive try it out on the chance they might like that kind of game.

Eventually everyone makes a judgement of the game, and uses their past knowledge and experiences to do it. But there's a huge difference between approaching things with a checklist of what you want, or as an unknown thing that might be interesting if you give it a try.
    Exactly, I look at whether I find a game fun to play, not how it stacks up to a previous entry. I don't need such comparisons to know if I am having fun or not. Not sure how that is hard to understand. 
    No one needs to comparisons to know if they are having fun or not. I don't underatand why you keep going back to the fun factor. That's in no way relevant to the question.

What is the best acting you have ever seen in a movie? You can list your top 5 if you think about it. Doesn't mean you won't be having fun watching a new movie. It doesn't even mean you had the most fun watching those with the top acting.
    Seems you're shifting your original premise to me, as you started off on a basis of what game do you judge all others based on. Now you just seem to be focusing on judging in general. 

As for the fun factor of course that's relevant to your original question. As it's what I judge a game on, not some other game, but whether this individual game is fun or not. That's what dictates whether I play or not, not some arbitrary criteria brought about by some other game as you said you do with EVE. You went as far as to say if something doesn't stack up to EVE, you'll just play a single player game.... So in that criteria I said none, as I don't use past games to judge current ones in that manner. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    immodium said:
    immodium said:
    Just an FYI, this is like 101 to review anything. Can't believe we have to argue over a simplest things to have a simple discussion, but hey, that's half the fun.

http://m.wikihow.com/Write-a-Review

6. Position this product or service among its peers.
    And I can't believe you omitted this from your quote.

Position this product or service among its peers. Think about where this product fits among similar products. You should certainly judge the product on its own merits.
    Since you don't do quotes fully I am going to help you a bit here :)

Position this product or service among its peers. Think about where this product fits among similar products. You should certainly judge the product on its own merits, but people reading your reviews will find it useful to have a reference to a restaurant they’re familiar with. This makes the comparison – and thus, the evaluation of whether to try a product or service – easier for readers of your review.

Which should take no more than a sentence of the entire review. For the people who found it hard to digest the review.

The entire review of the product should be based on it's own merits.
    Jusy 1 sentence is your personal opinion. There millions of reviews comparing products head to head and that's all there is to them. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Btw I got a new CPU and it is the fastest, I don't need to compare it to any other CPU to know, I feel it is the fastest and I am having fun. That's all that matters right?

Well... No!!
    Strawman

• XerenixXerenix Member UncommonPosts: 237
    Xerenix said:
    Xerenix said:
    The only reason i find comparing a mmo with another one is if you had to choose between one of them but outside of that, what's the point?

If you play it and enjoy it enough to continue playing then the mmo is good, if you don't enjoy it then it's bad. It makes no sense going "I enjoy this feature but the "other mmo" does it better so this feature is shit."

Because without comparison you won't be having a frame of reference. Without frame of reference anything can be anything. 

Your second paragraph basically means there is no point in criticism. 
    You can criticize without comparing a mmo to another one. If you don't enjoy something, you say for example "I don't like this feature because it's too slow." and not "I don't like this feature because "other mmo" is much better."

If you're selling a mmo to someone else and they like a particular mmo then sure, you can compare the two like "This mmo has the same kind of feature that you like from the other mmo so you might like this one" but as i said, comparing mmos yourself to me is pointless.

You either like it or you don't.
    If you say it is too slow without comparing to the rest of the MMOsit wouldn't make any sense, what if all the other MMOs are slower than that? Then you would just sound like a clueless writer on steroids ;) 
    Because you feel it is too slow. If you have to reference everything with something else it's impossible to try new things.

While i might think one game is too slow, i might enjoy another game that is even slower because it fits the game itself.

Critics and reviewers compare things because they are trying to sell someone else the game but the OP is what YOU judge the game as and I'M not trying to sell the game to myself by comparing, i either enjoy it or i don't.
    Btw I got a new CPU and it is the fastest, I don't need to compare it to any other CPU to know, I feel it is the fastest and I am having fun. That's all that matters right?

Well... No!!
    There is a huge difference between comparing benchmarks which are not arbitrary nuances, but factual performance numbers., and using one game to judge all others on, now you're just being ridiculous. 

Distopia said:

Well... No!!
    There is a huge difference between comparing benchmarks which are not arbitrary nuances, but factual performance numbers., and using one game to judge all others on, now you're just being ridiculous. 
    Be fair, they might've overclocked it to be the super duper fastest. :p

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    What a strange derailment. You people are actually arguing over whether we use those familiar things we know and like to compare new unfamiliar things?

I feel like I've stepped into an alternate reality where pattern recognition does not exist... weird.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Distopia said:
    Distopia said:
    Vrika said:

I agree.

There's a huge difference between picking up a reference, especially if it's done in advance like OP suggests, and making a judgement.

There are people who feel more comfortable by having detailed requirements on what they want, a point of reference. They judge new games based on how well those fit their list of requirements.

And there are people who are more open-minded about looking a fun game. They are ready to simply ask others 'is the game fun', and if the answer is positive try it out on the chance they might like that kind of game.

Eventually everyone makes a judgement of the game, and uses their past knowledge and experiences to do it. But there's a huge difference between approaching things with a checklist of what you want, or as an unknown thing that might be interesting if you give it a try.
    Exactly, I look at whether I find a game fun to play, not how it stacks up to a previous entry. I don't need such comparisons to know if I am having fun or not. Not sure how that is hard to understand. 
    No one needs to comparisons to know if they are having fun or not. I don't underatand why you keep going back to the fun factor. That's in no way relevant to the question.

What is the best acting you have ever seen in a movie? You can list your top 5 if you think about it. Doesn't mean you won't be having fun watching a new movie. It doesn't even mean you had the most fun watching those with the top acting.
    Seems you're shifting your original premise to me, as you started off on a basis of what game do you judge all others based on. Now you just seem to be focusing on judging in general. 

As for the fun factor of course that's relevant to your original question. As it's what I judge a game on, not some other game, but whether this individual game is fun or not. That's what dictates whether I play or not, not some arbitrary criteria brought about by some other game as you said you do with EVE. You went as far as to say if something doesn't stack up to EVE, you'll just play a single player game.... So in that criteria I said none, as I don't use past games to judge current ones in that manner. 
    I believe you cannot not compare past and present. You might be able to not let it get in the way or not dwell on it. From what I've gathered that's what you chose to do. You chose it wouldn't get in the way of your current fun. Otherwise, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Let me ask exactly the same thing but fool you into answering my question ;)

What was the one feature, or features, you liked the best from the games you have played so far?

Now I know you can elaborate on that question and you know I can come up with a counter argument, but there is no point in that and we both know it :) but that question, would still serve my agenda and doesn't break any rules in your no judgment crusade now does it? Answer that instead. ^^

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    Iselin said:
    What a strange derailment. You people are actually arguing over whether we use those familiar things we know and like to compare new unfamiliar things?

I feel like I've stepped into an alternate reality where pattern recognition does not exist... weird.
    That's only the topic if we completely ignore the original question, and the OP that started it. Pattern recognition is not the same as putting one game on a pedestal and judging all games based on it. 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    If it's a lobby-based game, I compare it to my favorite multiplayer experiences.  Generally, I don't stick around long in these instances, as most attempts to take a multiplayer game and tack on some MMORPG tropes just ends up with a game that falls short on both ends relative to competing titles that aren't so hybrid in design.

If it's a true MMORPG experience, I usually compare it to my experiences in DAoC.  Not just in class/game mechanics, but the manner in which content is presented to the player and how it influences the characteristics of the community.

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    I use ffxi typically as my benchmark.

If a game cannot deliver the longevity of content, Full array of classs designs (DPS/Heal/Tank/Support/CC), the functional economy, the guild/community focus, and the depth that a technically ps2 game had then I usually give it horrible marks.

edited March 2017

Well... No!!
    Huge difference between this and games. Games purpose is giving enjoyment to the players and you can't measure enjoyment like you can with things like CPUs because they have set specs to compare with unlike enjoyment which is not set and differs between each person. 

What people enjoy changes over time and hardware like CPU don't.
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Everquest, SWG and even Vanilla WoW. Sadly pretty much every MMO to come out since WoW falls short in one or more areas.

They really don't make them like they used to - and that's a bad thing. Screw progress and evolution, the newer games just aren't as good.
    edited March 2017

I believe you cannot not compare past and present. You might be able to not let it get in the way or not dwell on it. From what I've gathered that's what you chose to do. You chose it wouldn't get in the way of your current fun. Otherwise, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Let me ask exactly the same thing but fool you into answering my question ;)

What was the one feature, or features, you liked the best from the games you have played so far?

Now I know you can elaborate on that question and you know I can come up with a counter argument, but there is no point in that and we both know it :) but that question, would still serve my agenda and doesn't break any rules in your no judgment crusade now does it? Answer that instead. ^^

I liked the overall feature set of SWG but mainly the profession system, the TEF system and Guild Warfare system. I liked the RvR in DAOC, I liked the stories in AOC and TOR, I like the questing in ESO (how it promotes exploration). 

I just want to reiterate that your original question is a far cry from where you and others have taken these replies and follow up questions. As I said to Islen there's a huge difference between cumulative  experience, which we all have, and using one game as a benchmark for all others. The latter was your question, not the former... 

Distopia said:
    Iselin said:

That's only the topic if we completely ignore the original question, and the OP that started it. Pattern recognition is not the same as putting one game on a pedestal and judging all games based on it. 
    There are people whom have listed several games and I bet you won't ever see them or me arguing why they have multiple choices. Because as I said, the word one wasn't intended to be literal.

To answer you and Xerenix, regarding the CPU post! :) again, we are not talking about the fun factor. The stuff had been listed here can actually be detailed and measured to a good extention. 

Now help me out here... Arbitrary: based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

I think people have reasons for liking a game. No one is saying they liked a title because all the fonts were in red. Or because it felt cool on a Wednesday. We want to talk about those reasons. Now for the love of god, tell me... What the hell is wrong with that? Because right now it kinda looks like you are accusing me of something close to Gamism or something!

Distopia said:

I liked the overall feature set of SWG but mainly the profession system, the TEF system and Guild Warfare system. I liked the RvR in DAOC, I liked the stories in AOC and TOR, I like the questing in ESO (how it promotes exploration). 

I just want to reiterate that your original question is a far cry from where you and others have taken these replies and follow up questions. As I said to Islen there's a huge difference between cumulative  experience, which we all have, and using one game as a benchmark for all others. The latter was your question, not the former... 

Thank you! :)

Distopia said:
    Iselin said:

There are people whom have listed several games and I bet you won't ever see them or me arguing why they have multiple choices. Because as I said, the word one wasn't intended to be literal.

To answer you and Xerenix, regarding the CPU post! :) again, we are not talking about the fun factor. The stuff had been listed here can actually be detailed and measured to a good extention. 

Now help me out here... Arbitrary: based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

I think people have reasons for liking a game. No one is saying they liked a title because all the fonts were in red. Or because it felt cool on a Wednesday. We want to talk about those reasons. Now for the love of god, tell me... What the hell is wrong with that? Because right now it kinda looks like you are accusing me of something close to Gamism or something!
    LOL gamism I like that, you gamist. 

I don't have a problem with anyone's approach just to be clear, just folks acting as though you can't judge games based on their own strengths and weaknesses without bringing in some gaming messiah to judge them all on, which is all I said I shy away from... As I said to scorchein, I learned the problem with that long long ago. It really narrows down your choices, it clouds your judgment toward what otherwise might be a fun experience to have. 

• farbegefarbege Member UncommonPosts: 305
    SWG

any feature is measured in "SWG unit". Still unmatched in many features.
    edited March 2017
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:

"Putting it on a pedestal" is just your spin. Whether you want to admit it or not, part of comparing any two things is our own subjective, individual value judgments of one thing being better or worse than another based on our previous experience and our individual likes and dislikes. It's just something we all do every time we run into a new thing.

Judging by all the pre-derailment responses, I don't think many people had a problem picking one game as our individual MMO standard of excellence.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited March 2017
    Iselin said:
    "Putting it on a pedestal" is just your spin. Whether you want to admit it or not, part of comparing any two things is our own subjective, individual value judgments of one thing being better or worse than another based on our previous experience and our individual likes and dislikes. It's just something we all do every time we run into a new thing.

Judging by all the pre-derailment responses, I don't think many people had a problem picking one game as our individual MMO standard of excellence.

"what is the one MMO you use as a reference when you are judging a new game?"

Sure it's my spin but based on the question posed. if I had been asked what is your criteria for an enjoyable experience based on your past experiences, I would not have said none. I (as well as we) were asked a rather specific question, what game do you use as a reference? are you saying none is not a fair answer to that question in that premise?

I honestly haven't done that since I was still playing SWG-NGE back in the mid 2000's. Once I realized the chances of reliving those glory days was zilch I stopped doing that, and make it a point not to. I just feel again that doing so sets oneself up for disappointment and chasing a dragon.. 

Distopia said:
    Iselin said:

No one said it was wrong with that.

My first post was about that i don't use references nor do i compare a mmo to other one to judge if it's good or not since i deem it pointless. It's you and others that seem to not understand why people don't need it which is why you replied to my post. 

Again, the OP is about personal preference which i judge a game and you can do it without referencing or comparing games. It's about if you enjoy it or not and there lies the reasons if it's good or not, it isn't a personal whim or random choice. 

You seem set on a reviewer/critic's point of view which the OP isn't about, it's about personal preference and nothing else.
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:

"what is the one MMO you use as a reference when you are judging a new game?"

Sure it's my spin but based on the question posed. if I had been asked what is your criteria for an enjoyable experience based on your past experiences, I would not have said none. I (as well as we) were asked a rather specific question, what game do you use as a reference? are you saying none is not a fair answer to that question in that premise?

I honestly haven't done that since I was still playing SWG-NGE back in the mid 2000's. Once I realized the chances of reliving those glory days was zilch I stopped doing that, and make it a point not to. I just feel again that doing so sets oneself up for disappointment and chasing a dragon.. 
    I'm saying that I don't buy your none answer at all because you're describing a thought process that humans just do not do. However hip it may sound to say that you judge things on their own merit, you actually don't... ever.

"In psychology and cognitive neuroscience, pattern recognition describes a cognitive process that matches information from a stimulus with information retrieved from memory"

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited March 2017
    Iselin said:

I'm saying that I don't buy your none answer at all because you're describing a thought process that humans just do not do. However hip it may sound to say that you judge things on their own merit, you actually don't... ever.

"In psychology and cognitive neuroscience, pattern recognition describes a cognitive process that matches information from a stimulus with information retrieved from memory"
    I'm saying what you're citing is different than what the OP alluded to. That science doesn't say all humans must use one product to stack up against all that follow, it's saying we use things we learn/experience over time in all that we do going forward, that is totally different than using one or a couple products to judge the merits of the next in line. You're really stretching the meaning of that research to use it here just to sound profound....

It's a choice to use one game as a litmus test, it's not a choice to use cognitive recognition. 

Gorwe said:
    None. I actually don't like MMOs but a certain % of my favored IPs is taken hostage by them(or used to be). Conan, Warhammer Fantasy and LoTR...where are those RPGs again? Oh right, mostly MMORPGs(meh).

Not to mention that SWTOR would have been at least 2x better as a Single / Co-Op RPG. And most likely TSW, AoC, WAR(imagine a Warhammer Fantasy RPG done right)...

tsk Just my luck!
    This is a good point, I am like that to some extent, as I mostly play MMORPGs I like the lore/ip of, I've tried very few that were original properties, if i did try them it wasn't for very long, mostly just trials. The IP is usually my RP hook, be it Star Wars, Camelot, Conan, or TES. Maybe that's why I'm not really comparing them. As it's not the game-play I am overly concerned with.