Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any future for a PVE quester?

xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
I know it's pvp centric; I pre-ordered, i fished, i traded... pretty much everything except questing. I quite a couple months after launch.
Fast forward today I'm playing ESO almost exclusively, except when it's frigging down, got real tired fast of doing nothing but trying to log in all night, yes I'm overly hooked on it, so thought what mmo could i have as a backup? I like to have two for these such occasions anyway.

Read some positive news lately about BDO so installed and yea I'm impressed, had much more fun than i expected, questing is pretty cool actually, but I'm leveling like no tomorrow on those XP booster servers.

SO... i'm getting close to being perma flagged for pvp, which pvp isn't me at all. Is there any life for this toon after that, as in could i still quest in peace or is it pretty much roll a new alt time and No i don't want to do anymore trading, fishing i only want to quest. I'm a two mmo kinda guy, always have been and i'm really hoping Secret World fits the second slot after the revamp, but until then, i'm loving BDO spectacularly craptastic UI and all.
My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L

Comments

• redneckgamerredneckgamer Member UncommonPosts: 52
    I really enjoy tsw, even before revamp, I'm also playing lotro which has a ton of pvp free questing
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    TSW was playing it until ESO took over, and now it's like why? With such a huge revamp en route may as well wait. Played lotro a couple months at launch but we never really clicked.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited March 2017
    I'm also hoping the TSW gets it's act together as I really enjoyed the game but the stiff combat ended up being something I struggled through.  

LotRO I played when it first came out, couldn't really get into it, left it alone for years, came back to it years later and really enjoyed it for about 4 months.

ESO looking forward to coming back to play Warden.

BDO, didn't get far in that game so can't help.

GW2 is my main MMO and I dabble in others. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ExtraSodapopExtraSodapop Member UncommonPosts: 3
    xpsync said:
    I know it's pvp centric; I pre-ordered, i fished, i traded... pretty much everything except questing. I quite a couple months after launch.
    Fast forward today I'm playing ESO almost exclusively, except when it's frigging down, got real tired fast of doing nothing but trying to log in all night, yes I'm overly hooked on it, so thought what mmo could i have as a backup? I like to have two for these such occasions anyway.

Read some positive news lately about BDO so installed and yea I'm impressed, had much more fun than i expected, questing is pretty cool actually, but I'm leveling like no tomorrow on those XP booster servers.

SO... i'm getting close to being perma flagged for pvp, which pvp isn't me at all. Is there any life for this toon after that, as in could i still quest in peace or is it pretty much roll a new alt time and No i don't want to do anymore trading, fishing i only want to quest. I'm a two mmo kinda guy, always have been and i'm really hoping Secret World fits the second slot after the revamp, but until then, i'm loving BDO spectacularly craptastic UI and all.
    I believe they moved the "perma flagged for pvp" lvl to lvl 50 recently. At lvl 49 at 99.999% you have to do a quest in order to get past that percentage. PvP really isn't as constant as some people seem to think. After playing since launch (over a year), I can tell you most of the PvP I've seen out in the open world has actually only happened a few times, as far as being randomly flagged on. You also no longer lose xp from being killed by a player and also lose no karma for fighting an already flagged player so there's no penalty for trying your hand at fighting back. Also there are lots of channels, so if you want to grind for money/lvls just a matter of figuring out a time/place that works for you. Most grinding groups I've come across will actually invite you if you ask (grinding xp/money is faster with a full party of 5 in some places).

To be honest, you miss out on a lot of lore/pve stuff that is there if you don't go past lvl 50. Mediah/Valenica quests require killing some mobs/stuff to progress them, stuff you won't be able to do if you don't go past 50.

I see a lot of people concerned about being flagged for pvp in bdo, but its really not nearly as bad as people seem to think it is. You lose nothing but maybe your grinding spot if you get killed (and can switch to another channel, find a different spot) and the person who flags actually loses Karma for attacking/killing (that person risks getting flagged "perma red" if they hit negative karma- which can happen very quickly- until they grind karma back from mobs, meaning people can kill them without consequence).

But yea, if questing is all you want to do, you're not flagged for pvp until you hit 50 (which is again locked by a quest), but lots of interesting story bits in mediah/valencia.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Good to hear they added that PvP quest, don't know how true it was but I had read some PvE'rs would delete their characters at fifty and start new ones.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ExtraSodapopExtraSodapop Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Good to hear they added that PvP quest, don't know how true it was but I had read some PvE'rs would delete their characters at fifty and start new ones.
    It was set at 50 in the kr version even when the NA/EU version launched from what I heard, so a lot of people complained when it wasn't like that at launch. I personally like a bit of pvp, makes things exciting, but yea, didn't make a lot of sense to just auto enable pvp at 45, especially for those who like to lifeskill/other stuff (BDO has a lot to offer to lots of different players, so I get why auto enabling it would be annoying for some, especially those who want nothing to do with pvp).

http://bddatabase.net/us/quest/151/1/
    That's the quest to avoid completing if the op wants to avoid being flagged for pvp. Black spirit will give it.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    xpsync said:

Well, you can opt not to do the quest that "flags you for pvp" but in truth you wont' be able to level the character anymore (this is my understanding).

Having said that, people make way more issue about being pk'ed than there really is. I've rarely been pk'ed and I've been playing since launch. I think 5 times total and one was because of a war.

Someone pk's you and you don't want to fight for the spot, switch channels. Problem solved.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    I would personally say, majority of ppl is playing BDO like almost pure PvE. Fighting only if they are force to. I am PvE player and I had a lot of fun in BDO just to quest for contribution points, farming for gear, or just leveling. But yes, I can imagine some awesome dungeons with boss and some sweet loot.
    I have the quest and am 49.72.

Didn't want to bother if it wasn't worth it. Sounds pretty good  to me actually, some nice options ExtraSodaPop, Thanks. What i was most concerned about, but Sovrath put it to rest, was a perpetual gankfest. You know me logging in, Good Ev(ganked)...ening(ganked)... (ganked) Ever(ganked)yone.

The odd time sure, got into some pvp with BnS and was fun, but all time perma pvp ain't my thing nor getting ganked all the time either.

Thanks for the replies, i'm in!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    xpsync said:
    I have the quest and am 49.72.

Didn't want to bother if it wasn't worth it. Sounds pretty good  to me actually, some nice options ExtraSodaPop, Thanks. What i was most concerned about, but Sovrath put it to rest, was a perpetual gankfest. You know me logging in, Good Ev(ganked)...ening(ganked)... (ganked) Ever(ganked)yone.

The odd time sure, got into some pvp with BnS and was fun, but all time perma pvp ain't my thing nor getting ganked all the time either.

Thanks for the replies, i'm in!
    Another thing you can do is, when you log in, don't go to a crowded channel. That could help. Additionally, stay away from the areas you know are going to be contested like Sausans and Pirates.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    The only times you run into PvP is pretty much when you go to the popular grind spots that have the highest level players staking claim to them (Sausans and Pirates). Outside of that? Very rarely. It's a PvP game, so occasionally it will happen that some random guy decides to murder you just for the lulz. But it's RARE. As in, it's usually months RL time in between those encounters in my experience.

So don't be too dissuaded, the devs did a good job keeping griefers away with the karma system. :D
    (Part of the reason you see some people whining about the karma system so much. It keeps them from wrecking other people's day lol)

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• primaloozeprimalooze Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I agree its Rare, on EU servers i have multiple characters 56+ and 450+ energy from knowledge meaning i have explored pretty much every corner of the game from a PvE point of view... Since launch in total i've  be PK'd 4 times.. 3 while AFK training horses and once while fishing.. Been threatened a few times over hunting rights at Ogres and Sausans but easy to just run away and switch servers that its really just a non issue for me. I certainly dont worry about it anymore, from what i see PvP is mostly confined to top hunting spots at peak times and the odd lone murderer... everything else is organised around guilds and totally avoidable.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Nobody is going to kill you unless you court it by going to the popular grind areas . Avoid that and don't stand around on the road afk or leave your horse unattended they might then come along and kill you and the horse for giggles.
    Chamber of Chains
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    As others are saying, right now rampant ganking is not an issue. But and big huge but is, the flag on is a one way ticket. Once PvP players start getting bored they will spread out and pester on a larger level.
    I'd still say take a character over 50. As a second MMO I'd say have whatever class you like with 2 of it. A 49 lock and a 50+. That way your gear works on both. Unequip it all, drop it in storage, switch it out and depending upon the ass hat mood of the players when you log in, you play the lock or the post 50.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2017
    My backup game always ends up being my go to game.There is just so much wrong with the industry right now that i do not see a good complete LASTING adventure in any game.
    EVERYTHING seems to be geared at real empty/shallow main games with end game instancing and this is happening with every single release.
    There is a slight argument for TESO and FFXIV but overall neither game is any better than what i have buyt instead offer bits and pieces of better gaming but not a better complete package.

Easy prediction,proving how bad the market is.Pantheon will do very well out of the gate,that is because so many bored gamer's looking for a game.I hope they get it right and keep most of their player base,otherwise another rapid disappearing act.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Short answer: No.

It's a grinder focused on the grind. 

Either that or the economy sim part of the game (the good part, imo)

Wizardry said:

Easy prediction,proving how bad the market is.Pantheon will do very well out of the gate,that is because so many bored gamer's looking for a game.I hope they get it right and keep most of their player base,otherwise another rapid disappearing act.
    It depends more on their payment model than anything else. If they are B2P or F2P, they might rake in some money initially. After that, it's up to the game. Although I doubt retention will be that high given the nature of the game.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

I'm level 53 now and not one pvp incident yet, hoping it stays that way i love grinding out mobs in this game.

xpsync said:
    I'm level 53 now and not one pvp incident yet, hoping it stays that way i love grinding out mobs in this game.
    It'll stay pretty rare as long as you avoid Sausans and pirates. The other high level grind spots like Gahaz also get more aggressive players during the xp weekends, but usually you can avoid them.

And on the topic of this thread, I'm glad we're getting some new PvE group content in the near future. :D

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    lol so they finally gave in and put the forced PvP behind a quest wall like the Korean version? Used to be you automatically were open to pvp once you hit 45 wasn't it? There were threads upon threads complaining and they didn't seem to care. I wonder what changed their minds.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I think that was because of the level difference between the Korean and our version so when we caught up we are now using the Korean version rules perhaps.

edited April 2017

Tiller said:

lol so they finally gave in and put the forced PvP behind a quest wall like the Korean version? Used to be you automatically were open to pvp once you hit 45 wasn't it? There were threads upon threads complaining and they didn't seem to care. I wonder what changed their minds.

Nah, it wasn't. The quest used to be AT level 45 instead.
    They upped the level req for it last November from 45>50.

http://forum.blackdesertonline.com/index.php?/topic/120045-patch-notes-november-16th/

[System]

• The level cap for PvP has been raised to 50. (Previously 45).

• You can activate PvP mode with Alt + C.

• BloodDiimondBloodDiimond Member UncommonPosts: 26
    If you want pure PVE, I would have to recommend Guild Wars 2. When it first came out, and i freaking hate leveling up and the whole experience (because of what one person said about games being 'empty'), but I somehow leveled up every class to max and I had an absolute blast!! 

Very old game that is probably dead now but Battle of the Immortals had a great story!!!