Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Horrible game/ 8.6 rating is fake > 3.8 would be appropriate

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I went back to it after I fixed my PC and it's still the same fun game I was playing before. It runs 100% smooth for me. You have to not worry about quests really until you really feel like doing them. There is so many other things to do that you can go do quests to get energy and things like that later. But I'm glad you gave it a try. Most people bash the hell out of it without trying. It wasn't fun for me until I gave it a while, it was just overwhelming with the amount of stuff early on for me. 
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    I didn't like it but I hope those that do get years of fun from it.

• nimander99nimander99 Member UncommonPosts: 288

Don't know what kind of machine you are using but I never experience lag or stuttering, unless I'm trying to zoom my camera up close for combos. The game is great for what it is, and defeinetly the best East to West port.

Way better than ArcheWoW. That's for dayum shure.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I genuinely enjoyed the game.

Out of all the games I tried in the recent years, BDO was above average.

The combat is fun and responsive. The node ownership system is unique and appealing to those who like micro managing. There are lots of little features to explore - crafting, amity, gear upgrades, horses, boats. The art style also has its merits. Compared to the majority of MMOs, I'd say BDO is very innovative overall. As someone who plays predominantly western AAA games, it certainly was a breath of fresh air.

I personally also disliked things about it. UI can be overwhelming, there is little customisation options, the cash shop can be quite expensive, some of the systems can be grindy. That said, I feel it comes with the territory.

If the game does not appeal to you, that's fair. It's not a holy grail that brings salvation to the MMO space. I wouldn't call it objectively abysmal though.

• DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 157
    did you even TRI bro?!!

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    edited March 2017
    Did nothing for me either.  The horribly weak story, gender, and race locked classes, poor translations, poor lip syncing, and confusing learning curve did this game in for me.
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    This game is terrible. I also dont get the high rating. Oh well... maybe some people like it.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Goromhir said:
    This games GFX engine is trash not my system....
    Not that it will fix your issue but 1080p @ medium settings should be okeyish with your system.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Goromhir said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    At least you have it a try.  I prefer rants by people who actually tried, than the rants by people who haven't.
    Back Desert is not really a game that you can grasp in 1 day of playing so I don't really consider him "Giving it a try"

Sounds to me like his computer couldn't handle the game which turned all other experiences to mush.

xeon 1230v3 + gtx1050+16gb + 240gb SSD+ Z97Pro  cant handle this game ?

seriously ??
    And even if the game play is smooth the game looks like Italian Salad...

Sorry to break it to you but, the 1050 is by no means a high end graphics card.   The 1060 or 1070 are required for anything above medium resolution.  So it most certainly is your system in this case.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    The UI takes like 10 minutes max to get used to for people who are used to the now standard MMORPG UIs.

In reality, the OP is pissed because he needs 4 hours to download 48gb ;)
    I would like to protest that it is not standard for MMORPGs to hard-code in that function 3 must be a combination of the keys for functions 1 and 2 together, even though the keys for functions 1 and 2 can be changed.  Black Desert does that, and it made it impossible for me to get a control configuration that I liked.  I've never seen another game make that mistake.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    edited March 2017
    Goromhir said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    At least you have it a try.  I prefer rants by people who actually tried, than the rants by people who haven't.
    Back Desert is not really a game that you can grasp in 1 day of playing so I don't really consider him "Giving it a try"

Sounds to me like his computer couldn't handle the game which turned all other experiences to mush.

xeon 1230v3 + gtx1050+16gb + 240gb SSD+ Z97Pro  cant handle this game ?

seriously ??

And even if the game play is smooth the game looks like Italian Salad...

You don't even realise it's your system you just think you have a great system. Well you need better that's a low end card there at least have the decency to admit your system is the problem here. I have a 770 GTX and even that card can perform slightly better than yours on graphics and gaming.

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-770-vs-GeForce-GTX-1050-Ti
    Chamber of Chains
    I think he means the combo aori.
    Chamber of Chains
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    The game OP played sounds terrible, but why is he posting about it in the Black Desert section?

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    mgilbrtsn said:

yeah play the game for a year then come telling us if you like it or not.....

you really don't need more then a couplke of hours playing to undertand if you can bear with it or not, if you need more then well, not everyone is that slow. thing is blad desert is a over hyped game with a long line of fanboys who defend the game, then I alwyas come back to if it really was a good game you wouldn't have to coem here to defend it you would be playing it
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm the same way.  If I play a game for an hour or so I  pretty much know if I will enjoy it or not.  Yes, I could force myself to play longer and hope I find something I enjoy doing but with the list of games I play now it's really not worth it.  If you enjoy the game good for you.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

mgilbrtsn said:

you really don't need more then a couplke of hours playing to undertand if you can bear with it or not, if you need more then well, not everyone is that slow. thing is blad desert is a over hyped game with a long line of fanboys who defend the game, then I alwyas come back to if it really was a good game you wouldn't have to coem here to defend it you would be playing it
    Look if you play the game for an hour and dislike it that is great . Problem is they come here and rant and add untruths so you expect the people who play the game to just stay mum is it. So a person can post rubbish and no one is entitled to defend it  because hello it happens to fit your narrative.
    Chamber of Chains
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    From your rant, it sounds like you have a dated PC and you have no idea how to use the options menu.  While BDO does have issues, it certainly does not rate a 3.8 score as you suggest.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• PapasmervPapasmerv Member UncommonPosts: 63
    kitarad said:
    I am sorry to say you're mistaken but since you seem very convinced on your brief and quite uneventful game experience who am I to say anything.

However you should not try to pass off what you're saying as anything but peculiar to your own very brief experience with the game. 

People who do not play a game and experience all the game has to offer should not be counted upon to give a review worth reading.
    Sometimes 1st impressions are a lasting one. You shouldn't have to play a game x and x hours to know if you like the game or not. There have been games I have tried, disliked and stopped playing them after a few hours due to various factors.
    It's up to the consumer to decide how much investment of time is warranted to evaluate their purchase.  If a large number of players try it for even an hour and don't like it, it's their money/time investment.   It's not up to the community or the dev/pub to decide how much time to give a consumer to figure out if the game is worth it.  Smart game devs know that first impressions are everything.  If the noobie experience is poor then it doesn't matter how good the end game is.

That leads me to my real point.  We as consumers should not be supporting products who's first several hours of play is considered poor by the unfamiliar.  That's our fault for accepting shoddy starting experiences and not demanding better from the devs.  You can't as a dev/pub tell your potential consumers, suck it up nubcakes.  The first day is gonna suck, but if you can stick with it, you'll find the best game eva!  YeakOkRight.
    What every dev/pub should stand behind: "We're committed to creating a fair playing field for all players. You cannot gain gameplay advantage by spending real money in [INSERT GAME NAME]."
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Papasmerv said:
    kitarad said:
    I am sorry to say you're mistaken but since you seem very convinced on your brief and quite uneventful game experience who am I to say anything.

However you should not try to pass off what you're saying as anything but peculiar to your own very brief experience with the game. 

People who do not play a game and experience all the game has to offer should not be counted upon to give a review worth reading.
    Sometimes 1st impressions are a lasting one. You shouldn't have to play a game x and x hours to know if you like the game or not. There have been games I have tried, disliked and stopped playing them after a few hours due to various factors.
    It's up to the consumer to decide how much investment of time is warranted to evaluate their purchase.  If a large number of players try it for even an hour and don't like it, it's their money/time investment.   It's not up to the community or the dev/pub to decide how much time to give a consumer to figure out if the game is worth it.  Smart game devs know that first impressions are everything.  If the noobie experience is poor then it doesn't matter how good the end game is.

That leads me to my real point.  We as consumers should not be supporting products who's first several hours of play is considered poor by the unfamiliar.  That's our fault for accepting shoddy starting experiences and not demanding better from the devs.  You can't as a dev/pub tell your potential consumers, suck it up nubcakes.  The first day is gonna suck, but if you can stick with it, you'll find the best game eva!  YeakOkRight.
    your post highlight the entitlement this new generation feels an bewilderment  they feel when every game/movie/book that does not interest them an they feel is trash but is praised by others.

if i could not be bothered to read your whole post because it was to long for me an i lost interest does that now mean you have nothing good to say? or should i take the time to least read it all the way to the end and not for as long as i feel is needed to make a judgment call.

in the end it a moot point, the masses that need very specific things to be happy are usually so fickle that their not worth trying keep.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    edited March 2017
    cheyane said:
    mgilbrtsn said:

Look if you play the game for an hour and dislike it that is great . Problem is they come here and rant and add untruths so you expect the people who play the game to just stay mum is it. So a person can post rubbish and no one is entitled to defend it  because hello it happens to fit your narrative.
    could say the same for people who defend the game, I had one dead set to force our blade and soul guild go to revelation, thing was, it was not half good was blade and soul, is kinda okish with the craft and all but its boring after you are over half the things, with push more for grinding, with is the same problem with black desert there is nothing much to do after some months of play, with is what is happening, all the ones trying to push black desert to others are not pushing revelation, till the next game of the month come out and push taht one too
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    edited March 2017
    The game's got a lot wrong with it sure, but none of that is seen/noticed in the first day of gameplay. The p2w, grind, gender-locks, class balance, and cash-shop are what you should be complaining about. Get a better pc and rant better next time please.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    BDO is pretty horrible.

Joined - July 2004

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Aori said:
    Papasmerv said:
    kitarad said:

MMO's have never been the best example of first impressions. I honestly can't think of a good first impression of any MMO. In just about every MMO, it wasn't until about level 20 that I started to really feel what the games were about. I mean if the journey to 20 was abysmal garbage, then ya I'd drop it not long after..(Revalation online).

If you're solely interested in combat and mechanics that involve it then yes you'll learn fairly fast whether or not BDO is for you. However if you're looking for more, then BDO takes some time, there is just to much to do or learn to grasp it all within a day let alone an hour.
    Well done, same as my experience, in fact without an up front investment I often don't stay with a MMO long enough to really get into it.

I only had a 7 day trial of BDO which was not enough time to understand the deeper parts of the game so who knows, might be missing out.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Really have to disagree. Its a fun game with some unique concepts. I really enjoyed my time in BDO, and I am a very critical player. Its a solid 8.  I only stopped playing, because my attention has been on other things(not MMO related).
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Aori said:
    Quizzical said:
    The UI takes like 10 minutes max to get used to for people who are used to the now standard MMORPG UIs.

In reality, the OP is pissed because he needs 4 hours to download 48gb ;)
    I would like to protest that it is not standard for MMORPGs to hard-code in that function 3 must be a combination of the keys for functions 1 and 2 together, even though the keys for functions 1 and 2 can be changed.  Black Desert does that, and it made it impossible for me to get a control configuration that I liked.  I've never seen another game make that mistake.
    Not entirely sure what you're saying or wanting here.
    Let's suppose that by default, skill 1 uses key A, skill 2 uses key B, and skill 3 uses keys A+B.  The three skills can be remapped to other keys, but not independently.  If I change skill 1 to use key C rather than A, then that will change skill 3 to use C+B rather than A+B.  I can't change skill 3 to use some other key or combination of keys.  It's hard-coded in that skill 3 must be the key for skill 1 plus the key for skill 2 together.  That's really awkward to deal with, and I'd much prefer to be able to make skill 3 into some completely independent key that has nothing to do with skills 1 and 2.

I use a controller to play most games, not a keyboard and mouse.  That does mean I need to use combinations of buttons for a lot of things.  But I need to be able to pick the combinations of buttons in a sensible way.  The main things that get used a lot and need easy access get a button by themselves without a combination.  Less commonly used things or things where a slight delay is acceptable (e.g., navigating menus or talking to NPCs) get a combination of one or occasionally two of the top bumpers plus one of the main buttons, or perhaps one of the harder to reach buttons.  The top bumper(s) that are used for such combination skills aren't assigned to anything on their own.  That works great for handling skills in games with relatively few skills, and is at least manageable in games with a lot of skills.

Black Desert says I can't do that.  They decided to hard-code in that some important skills must be a combination of two buttons that are each used on their own for other important skills.  I haven't a clue why they did that, but it was a terrible decision that offers no benefit whatsoever.  I've never seen any other game make that mistake, at least without also making the much more severe blunder of making it impossible to modify your control scheme.  It's the single largest reason why I quit Black Desert.  The game seemed promising, but it was too awkward to control, so I gave up.