Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game the usual Asian stuff?

13»

Comments

  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,029
    Gdemami said:
    I have to agree.  I never understand the notion that if it's from Asia it's cheap.  I think some westerners (especially my fellow Americans) forget there is more than just China in Asia.  It's a big fucking continent and has many different cultures and flavors.  To sum it all up as "typical Asian" seems really insincere or plain ignorant.  

    Also, of course there is going to be Eastern themes in an Asian mmo.  I can't believe people still don't get this.  What are they expecting Asian mmos to be full of cheeseburgers and type 2 diabetes like America?
    In your first paragraph you say "typical Asian" is plain ignorant, in second paragraph you acknowledge "Eastern theme".

    So which way it is?

    All I am saying that BDO shares same distinct "features" like any other Asian MMO, for better or worse but that is up to each own consideration.

    If you don't understand the condescending manner that "typical Asian" is usually used in.  Compared to "Eastern themes".  Not sure if I'll be able to help you.  But I will try.  One is aesthetics and the other is borderline prejudice if you are still confused.  When someone says "Oh boy, another typical Asian grinder".  I don't think they are putting it in a positive light.  But I have a feeling you already knew this.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    If you don't understand the condescending manner that "typical Asian" is usually used in. 
    Fuck political correctness.

    I didn't say anything like "Oh boy another typical Asian grinder!"

    If anyone wants to attach a negative connotation where is none and then feel offended, let them have it. Not like you can stop them anyway.

  • Walkyier70Walkyier70 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    edited March 2017
    BDO shares same distinct "features" like any other Asian MMO

    every American mmo shares the same features  as well

    i think bdo does it better then most in its category
    you pay for the game once , you never feel pressured into buying anything
    you don't need a sub and the game has so much content
    its enough to keep anybody busy for a while
    If not anything to take out of it is some of these games know how to do certain things right
    in bdos case, great graphics , organic world , day to night , weather , elements that immerse people , its active with people and npc activity is not static bs
    questing is boring at times , but you just stop and do something else
    ui , learning curve there is a lot of stuff going on . there are things i don't like about bdo
    not a fanboy i do jump around in gaming but i don't think its fits into a the category of typical mmo from > insert wherever it has alot more depth then anything we offer over here lately
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,029
    Gdemami said:
    If you don't understand the condescending manner that "typical Asian" is usually used in. 
    Fuck political correctness.

    I didn't say anything like "Oh boy another typical Asian grinder!"

    If anyone wants to attach a negative connotation where is none and then feel offended, let them have it. Not like you can stop them anyway.

    It's not PC lol.  It's basically slang.  Why is that so hard to understand?  And who said you said it?  Why so defensive?  I was speaking in general when people say that they usually mean it in a derogatory way.  Calm your tits Nancy.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    It's not PC lol. 
    Are you sure you understand what political correctness is....?

    I am not defensive at all, just making a point about PC.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member RarePosts: 3,455
    Dibdabs said:
    Against all previous experience, I am tempted give BDO a try, but fear the game will have the usual Asian vibe going on.  You know what I mean...  Mobs with the same synchronized moves in combat like they're line-dancers, pinball-mating-with-a-Christmas-tree light show during combat (and indeed anywhere/everywhere else!), characters shrieking like chimps in heat as they fight, gigantic melee weapons and/or leaping around in combat like a frog on steroids?


    Like western mmo's are any better, if they were you'd be playing them. 




  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,423
    Aori said:
    Hatefull said:
    jimmywolf said:
    the game has a steep learning curve an if you have a short attention span or need to be told what to do it not worth your time but if you don't mind their lot to do in game an it a lot of fun overall. you can try it for free or pay $10 to own it, which is more then a fair price for what it offers.
    You can "Literally' auto-run to every quest location. There are big circles on the mini-map showing you where to go if you don't desire that level of hand holding. You say steep learning curve, and there may be a curve but it is nowhere steep. I do not agree that the game is without depth, however deep it is not.

    I will caveat my above statements with; I only gave the game about 40 hours as with most games I doubt that is enough to really dig into the minutiae of the game, therefore, a lot of it may have been lost on me. However, what I saw during that time was pretty predictable, and at times boring. Compared to a game like Eve that has a steep (and anyone that has played it will agree) learning curve this one is rather flat. I put it somewhere just above WoW in complexity. Certainly not any higher.
    Eh both are unintuitive, though I think BDO does a better job at teaching players the very basics. It still has a rather steep curve on gearing, combat, life skills and management. The whole life skills, workers, nodes, energy and contribution points thing is really daunting at the start and is one of the biggest complaints. 

    EVE is/was the most unintuitive game I've ever played. I like space sims but EVE was shit from that perspective so I never bothered going further.
    As I said (in this and another thread) with the amount of time I put in I may not have experienced enough to have a valid opinion on the game. It's just not for me. I won't say it is a bad game, it just not a game I can get into.

    @Gdemami - Then I doubt very seriously you have ever played Eve. Or you are just a troll, either way, this is the last attention you will get from me.

    If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

    In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

  • AoriAori Member EpicPosts: 4,234
    cura said:
    Idiotic characters with high heels and three meter long swords, weird lore, crap aoe combat. If its not asian style mmo, then i dont know what it is. Definitely (thanks god) not western style game lol. All idiotic, weird and crap parts are my personal opinion, so dont waste time arguing with it.
    Because bikini armored pigtailed gnomes with blades twice their size isn't a thing in the west, right? Not sure what is wrong with the lore though. 
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Asian MMOs have their annoying tropes but its hilarious to see people complain about things that are staples in video games in general, like it's some isolated annoyance unto Asian MMOs. 

    "OMG PARTICLE EFFECTS, AOE ATTACKS AND GRUNTING! DAMN ASIANS!"

    Red trucker hat mob stuff right there. Go play grey ass Life is Feudal if you're prone to seizures fam.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • BloodastralBloodastral Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Good looking game. Fun combat, but no real content. Needs a ton of endgame, maybe fellowship dungeons. No real need to play the game, except log in, as the game gives away decent gear just for being online. I think this says a lot...
  • AoriAori Member EpicPosts: 4,234
    edited March 2017
    cura said:
    Aori said:
    cura said:
    Idiotic characters with high heels and three meter long swords, weird lore, crap aoe combat. If its not asian style mmo, then i dont know what it is. Definitely (thanks god) not western style game lol. All idiotic, weird and crap parts are my personal opinion, so dont waste time arguing with it.
    Because bikini armored pigtailed gnomes with blades twice their size isn't a thing in the west, right? Not sure what is wrong with the lore though. 
    So you saw some bikini armoured pigtailed gnome with blade twice their size in some western game (which one btw) and suddenly you cant tell the difference between eastern and western mmo. Seriously, stop trolling.
    ...World of Warcraft has a large variety of slutmogs and oversized weapons, large enough that many weapons clip into the ground.

    I'm merely saying it isn't specific to any one region like you're making it out to be. It isn't and never has been exclusive to the east.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited March 2017
    Aori said:
    ...World of Warcraft has a large variety of slutmogs and oversized weapons, large enough that many weapons clip into the ground.
    In that case it will be easy for you to provide a screenshot of WoW  "bikini armored pigtailed gnomes with blades twice their size "...
  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Kyleran said:
    jimmywolf said:
    the game has a steep learning curve an if you have a short attention span or need to be told what to do it not worth your time but if you don't mind their lot to do in game an it a lot of fun overall. you can try it for free or pay $10 to own it, which is more then a fair price for what it offers.
    This comment is only made by people who have never played a MMO more complex than WOW and have no real concept of what a steep learning curve really is.
    That is definitely not true. It takes over 50 hours to figure out everything in this game, that is a steep learning curve. I know you think eve online is hard, which is what your referring to but, even that game isnt that steep of a learning curve. They are close to the same, you can figure most of eve out in 50 hours. You cant get good in either of those games within 500 hours. 

    BDO def would be considered a hard game, right up there with eve online, ryzom, uncharted waters online, and Star wars galaxies. 

    It is not in the group of games like SWTOR, WOW, ESO, or that kind of game. So to call the person that put that stupid, telling them they have no concept of anything, and trying to make fun of them for only playing wow is a bunch of straight up garbage. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 6,801
    Image result for world of warcraft weapons

    Image result for world of warcraft weapons

    Image result for world of warcraft weapons

    Shall I go on ?

  • AoriAori Member EpicPosts: 4,234
    Gdemami said:
    Aori said:
    ...World of Warcraft has a large variety of slutmogs and oversized weapons, large enough that many weapons clip into the ground.
    In that case it will be easy for you to provide a screenshot of WoW  "bikini armored pigtailed gnomes with blades twice their size "...
    Put together using wowheads tool, took no time at all. 


  • hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Aori said:
    Gdemami said:
    Aori said:
    How is it a typical asian game? If this was made by a western studio no one would say a word about it and would probably do better just on that fact alone.
    Asian art, combat, heavy rng crafting, mob grinding and overall focus on grind, lower quality compared to west titles, etc.
    Well I don't view the art as particularly Asian. Also there is no RNG in crafting. Enhancements on the other hand is definitely more a Korean thing. As for the combat, I guess if action combat = asian thats true? Mob grinding has been a thing in all MMOs, heavy grinds in general exists in some form or fashion in all MMOs.

    BDO stands up to western titles in terms of quality. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. Also the implication that Asian titles are of lower quality than Western is just blind prejudice. 
    I have to agree.  I never understand the notion that if it's from Asia it's cheap.  I think some westerners (especially my fellow Americans) forget there is more than just China in Asia.  It's a big fucking continent and has many different cultures and flavors.  To sum it all up as "typical Asian" seems really insincere or plain ignorant.  

    Also, of course there is going to be Eastern themes in an Asian mmo.  I can't believe people still don't get this.  What are they expecting Asian mmos to be full of cheeseburgers and type 2 diabetes like America?
    Not everything from China is cheap either, I got a doll for 1000 bucks that is high quality. In fact, most of the stuff made in the USA is pure garbage. You get what you pay for. 

    Haha you mean shotguns, fat slobs, and stupid people. Americans though if you were gonna say American game like they are saying Asian games. Would = mindless ball slap the keyboard, and never lose anything. Americans like games, and movies that require 0 thought. 
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,029
    edited March 2017
    Aori said:
    Gdemami said:
    Aori said:
    How is it a typical asian game? If this was made by a western studio no one would say a word about it and would probably do better just on that fact alone.
    Asian art, combat, heavy rng crafting, mob grinding and overall focus on grind, lower quality compared to west titles, etc.
    Well I don't view the art as particularly Asian. Also there is no RNG in crafting. Enhancements on the other hand is definitely more a Korean thing. As for the combat, I guess if action combat = asian thats true? Mob grinding has been a thing in all MMOs, heavy grinds in general exists in some form or fashion in all MMOs.

    BDO stands up to western titles in terms of quality. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise. Also the implication that Asian titles are of lower quality than Western is just blind prejudice. 
    I have to agree.  I never understand the notion that if it's from Asia it's cheap.  I think some westerners (especially my fellow Americans) forget there is more than just China in Asia.  It's a big fucking continent and has many different cultures and flavors.  To sum it all up as "typical Asian" seems really insincere or plain ignorant.  

    Also, of course there is going to be Eastern themes in an Asian mmo.  I can't believe people still don't get this.  What are they expecting Asian mmos to be full of cheeseburgers and type 2 diabetes like America?
    Not everything from China is cheap either, I got a doll for 1000 bucks that is high quality. In fact, most of the stuff made in the USA is pure garbage. You get what you pay for. 

    Haha you mean shotguns, fat slobs, and stupid people. Americans though if you were gonna say American game like they are saying Asian games. Would = mindless ball slap the keyboard, and never lose anything. Americans like games, and movies that require 0 thought. 
    So you basically did the exact same thing as "typical Asian".  But just made it "typical American".  You are just as bad as those that say the former.  BTW, generalizing all Americans in that way is pretty ridiculous.  America is one of the most diverse countries in the world.  They don't call it a melting pot for nothing.  Also, only about 30% voted for Cheeto Jesus. 

    Lastly, I didn't say everything from China is cheap.  China is a very amazing country and culture.  But they do produce a lot of cheap crap so those that are ignorant believe that's all they make.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,029
    Gdemami said:
    It's not PC lol. 
    Are you sure you understand what political correctness is....?

    I am not defensive at all, just making a point about PC.
    Not everything is just "PC".  Sometimes you get called out for being a dumbass and/or Asshole for saying dumb shit.  That's not PC, it's just stating the obvious.
  • heromalheromal Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Gdemami said:
    Aori said:
    How is it a typical asian game? If this was made by a western studio no one would say a word about it and would probably do better just on that fact alone.
    Asian art, combat, heavy rng crafting, mob grinding and overall focus on grind, lower quality compared to west titles, etc.
    This. RNG involved in each and every one of the game's systems.
Sign In or Register to comment.