Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any dedicated server distant world kind of games?

hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
What i mean is are there any games like stellaris, distant worlds ect, that let you run a dedicated server of the game world, which lets players leave and join any time, and it just keeps running? So a person connects as a new empire, starts randomly some where, than quits and their empire would just stay the same till they logged back in, unless some one killed it. So i guess basically like one of those mmo kind of games, but server files available to any one. 

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am not sure of the specific questions here, there are games that let you run your own server,i am playing one right now,Atlas.Not only your own server but i can add mods and change the stats of the game/characters as i feel.I can even make changes on the fly  and not really disrupt the server unless i make visual changes.

Other than Atlas,well it's sister game ARK also let's you run your own server,i wouldn't be surprised all the Snail games have this feature.
    Typically developers don't like to do it because one they are lazy cheap and two they don't want you doing anything that they cannot monetize.

So let's simply look at Epic games as an example.What made UT popular was not only the game engine but the free to use tools to mod the game and run your own servers.Fast forward to Fortnite,Epic wants to make millions selling costumes where as before the players could just make costumes for free.
    Blizzard is the same way,Wow is so popular Blizzard knows there would be a huge modding community that could simply ignore all Blizzard sales and just take the core game,mod it for free and never have to pay Blizzard another dollar.

Point being the trend has changed,developers no longer want the gamer's to have anything for free,they want to monetize even the air you breathe.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I can't think of any space games doing the server thing,i think that Shards online was one and is renamed something else now and is still ongoing.I actually thought Shards was a cool idea on paper but i stated we were not ready for this type of tech for another 10 years.
    However after seeing what Snail pulled off with Ark and Atlas and we are talking about a VERY small team,this type of game design is wide open for any intelligent developer to make it rich.
    The same dilemma hampered Shards, a very small team,likely less than 10 people.Just imagine what could be done in the gaming space if we had a serious 100 man team designing a Shards type game with full modding tools,editing tools,server tools,i seriously think if well done 10+ million copies would easily be sold.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Play Star Sonata.. Solid game .. good community

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    remsleep said:
    OP was from 2017...

saw that and noticed banned also .. DOes not mean that others may have an interest and would aprreciate any help on the subject

Youve been a Hipster since 2017 , and yet we still read your posts ..
    [Deleted User]