Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming Without Women - Your Day May Be a Bit Quieter Today - General News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited March 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageGaming Without Women - Your Day May Be a Bit Quieter Today - General News

Today is a big day around the world. It is International Women's Day, a celebratory day for all females -- mothers, sisters, wives, nieces, aunts, daughters, grandmothers, all of us. In 2017 it is also attended by A Day Without a Woman, a movement to bring to the forefront the contributions of women around the world. We're taking time away from our jobs, our financial activities, even our games to show that our contributions matter.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Keep it civil, or the banhammer comes out.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Might as well disable comments for this article. Nothing good will come of it lol.
  • FrankVLucasFrankVLucas Member UncommonPosts: 45
    A day without a woman? Sounds like every day to me.
  • jaffro333jaffro333 Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I'm all for it, and my employees, while not taking the day off, have got me to give some of our sales to planned parenthood. I do find it amusing that this article was posted by Susie on the 8th. Imy sure she didn't write it today, but I chuckled a bit.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I don't think this article needs to be on this site. The same way you don't need one for international mens day because gaming isn't about gender.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    So it's women's day and to teach us a lesson someone created a "movement" where women will stay away today and that... includes games..

All my games today were empty and I felt seriously humbled and realized that I took my female gamer friends for granted.

But no seriously it's hard to take modern feminism serious if that's what they come up with.
    I don't care if my gamer friends are male or female as long as I like their characters.

Why do feminists try so hard to create "us vs them" scenarios?
    Harbinger of Fools
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

Dakeru said:

So it's women's day and to teach us a lesson someone created a "movement" where women will stay away today and that... includes games..

All my games today were empty and I felt seriously humbled and realized that I took my female gamer friends for granted.

But no seriously it's hard to take modern feminism serious if that's what they come up with.
    I don't care if my gamer friends are male or female as long as I like their characters.

Why do feminists try so hard to create "us vs them" scenarios?

cant agree more

anyway i doubt females take the day off when u are working here isnt permitted ,u can waste a personal business day (u have a few every year) , but why waste it ? u may needed later on
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    edited March 2017
    I genuinely don't understand this.  So they literally want a woman to stay home for the day (or, I guess go March or something)?  So like, what about child care professionals?  Because a LOT of these "mommies" are on Mom strike too.  Is this like the 1800's?  I just feel like it wasn't thought through.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents

On a serious not though.  My wife is "celebrating" today by making the special effort to bring my youngest a nice hot lunch at school instead of his normal sandwich.  When she told him, you should have seen his face light up.  To me, THAT is how you make a difference in a positive way.  

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    A day without a woman? Sounds like every day to me.
    Well of course, we're basement dwelling gamers. ;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    can we have a day without childrens in online games too? please
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224

Ikeda said:

I genuinely don't understand this.  So they literally want a woman to stay home for the day (or, I guess go March or something)?  So like, what about child care professionals?  Because a LOT of these "mommies" are on Mom strike too.  Is this like the 1800's?  I just feel like it wasn't thought through.

I feel like your thinking about it to hard. Lol
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    On a serious not though.  My wife is "celebrating" today by making the special effort to bring my youngest a nice hot lunch at school instead of his normal sandwich.  When she told him, you should have seen his face light up.  To me, THAT is how you make a difference in a positive way.  

Erm... I feel their is a certain phrase or insinuation in the quoted paragraph that might set some off.

Just saying!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    As a woman, albeit one quickly approaching crone-hood, I can quite honestly say that the chances of my not gaming with my friends tonight, as we do pretty much every night, is exactly....

Hold on, let me do the math...

Let's see, carry the two...

Divide by zero...

Multiply by the square root of negative one...

And the answer is...

Unsurprisingly the answer is exactly, precisely, and indubitably zero percent.

Sorry "International Women's Day", whatever the hell that's supposed to be, I've got better things to do than bow to the alter with empty and insultingly moronic gestures.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    edited March 2017
    The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents

So... she's making a "special" sandwich?
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Meh...

Whatever floats your boat.

Personally, I try to treat everyone how I like to be treated myself.

Regardless of gender, color or creed.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• RukushinRukushin Member UncommonPosts: 311
    I don't even think my GF even knows about this. Doubt she would care though....wait....does this mean I won't have an awesome home cooked meal tonight?!?!?! Oh the humanity! I need to send a dozen roses and chocolates right now!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Nilden said:

I don't think this article needs to be on this site. The same way you don't need one for international mens day because gaming isn't about gender.

I think it's more it's more about people, businesses, organizations stopping, taking a breath and just a nod to a particular group of people.

I'm never one to take the sails out of a person/group if they want to make a statement but then again, I'm not generally an annoyed person.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Aori said:

A day without women, so who is watching/teaching the majority of young children today? I don't mean this as a slight, childcare and K-6 is dominated by women and that is because men aren't generally welcome in that field.

Btw why you postin Suzie, you failed the cause! Now we can't appreciate you, better luck next year.

I don't think it's that they are not welcome (at least in my area) but that women seem mostly interested in this career path.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Yes, fewer women in gaming day. Also known as "the day it was confirmed that mobile gaming does not make someone a gamer." This isn't to say that women don't play and enjoy a large variety of games, but more pointed at those stupid statistics which say nonsense like, 50-60% of gamers are women!" Playing candy crush on the bus doesn't make you a gamer anymore than me going for a jog makes me an athlete.

While the march will have more meaning in a broader sense, it definitely won't have any impact in the world of gaming. Sorry. Most women still think gaming is lame.
  • AztokAztok Member UncommonPosts: 33
    when is "A day without a man?" this world is populated with people that dont think life is fair or think they deserves more than the next person. its sad honestly, women are treated the same as men cause brave women stood up for what is right. this bull shit is standing up for what is wrong, schools are going without their teachers. So just because they are female they can do whatever the hell they want to? i hope they get fired and become homeless and then tell me how fair life is.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    There's plenty of men acting like females on video games you wont notice.

But in all seriousness. Women are very important and I'm glad they got equal rights. Problem is now men are being discriminated against in the workforce as a result. But thats for another time and day.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Of course the problem is that world will still turn. Games will still be played. Banks will still open. Schools will still have class. Buses will run, hospitals will still treat patients. Women that MATTER will still do everything they need to do.

Taking your ball and going home only incentivizes your playmates to get another ball.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Rusque said:
    Yes, fewer women in gaming day. Also known as "the day it was confirmed that mobile gaming does not make someone a gamer." This isn't to say that women don't play and enjoy a large variety of games, but more pointed at those stupid statistics which say nonsense like, 50-60% of gamers are women!" Playing candy crush on the bus doesn't make you a gamer anymore than me going for a jog makes me an athlete.

While the march will have more meaning in a broader sense, it definitely won't have any impact in the world of gaming. Sorry. Most women still think gaming is lame.
    I shouldn't have but I loled so hard.
    My GF too.. maybe that is the real difference:

Proud gamer girls take the clichés with humor and irony.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    hmmmm, so many smart assed comments come to mind.  What to say without the Banhammer coming down?  Instead, lets just enjoy the silence and the lack of a lot of the crazy costumes/skins that get bought in the cash shops.

I self identify as a monkey.

This discussion has been closed.