Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SSD Prices

laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
I have been thinking about getting a new SSD. Knowing nothing about the price patterns, figured I'd ask the knowledgeable MMORPGers. :grin:

Is it an alright time to buy a new SSD?

Comments

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    I am not sure, but I don't think the fluctuation in prices for SSDs is that great.  You might save 50 bucks on a 1TB if you wait for a holiday sale or something.  I don't how important the 50 bones is.  I don't think you are going to see $100+ savings on 1TB anytime soon. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    There was a shortage earlier this year which affected prices, but SSDs are pretty cheap right now depending on the technology you choose. Something like the Crucial M300 runs pretty cheap. Pricing drops usually follow die shrinks.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    https://pcpartpicker.com/trends/internal-hard-drive/#storage.0.128000

Not sure what happened last summer, but it's interesting, whatever it was even affected some HDD prices. I think it has more to do with the data collection the site uses than anything occuring in the real world, given how it's a very precise step change.

Apart from that, prices on SSDs have been pretty stable, with some excellent fire sales occuring off and on.

The long term trend that I expect will be an continual slow and overall lowering per $/byte, as capacity continues to expand (both manufacturing capacity and capacity per chip).
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    edited March 2017
    Nearly any time is reasonable to buy an SSD.  It's not like CPUs or GPUs where suddenly a massively better product launches and people slash prices on older products.  NAND flash is most of the cost of production, and that's mostly a commodity with several producers.  New process nodes make it cheaper in the long run, but it's not an abrupt drop.  It's like asking what a good time to buy memory is.