Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Monitors 4K v 2k/ dual monitor v ultrawide

2»

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    I don't know if 16x9 is horrible for everybody. It does lack in vertical space, but not everyone codes or works on spreadsheets.

I  run 16x10 (adds about 1" of vertical on a 24" monitor) - I like how games look, I don't feel that I lack in vertical space. All I really do on it though is game, transcode movies, and browse the web. My web browser does sit at full height of a monitor (1200 - whatever the Start bar is), but is only about 3/4 of the way across, so it's pretty close to the older 4x3 ratio. I run some status monitors to the side of that that use the rest of the monitor space. For work I use mostly Mail, PDFs, Remote Desktop, and Excel, on a Retina MBP. Large spreadsheets or high resolution remote desktops run in full screen and use the virtual desktop thing to switch between them - I'm used to it, it makes my workflow work.

I can't stand having my monitors vertical. And I don't like bezels in my games. 3 monitors in portrait mode, for me, would be totally unusable.

Having something a bit wider, I feel, is nice for things like shooters and sims, somewhat nice on MMOs, and I tend to spread my windows side by side, which the extra horizontal space is nice for. But everyone is different. Just because you don't like 16x9 doesn't mean no one should use it.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    laserit said:
    laserit said:
    I use both 2k and 4k

It really depends on your application and on what you want to achieve.

I run a 27" 144hz 2k with a Titan-X (non pascal)  for general gaming. Looks awesome,  high fps and great response.

I run a 46" 4k 60hz with a GTX-1080 exclusively for use with flightsims. Looks awesome, shows very tiny details like individual vehicles 1000's of feet below you, not nearly as responsive as the 2k but for a flightsim it doesn't have to be. 

If you want quick response go 2k. If your keeping with a desktop size monitor I personally don't see much point with a 4k especially for general gaming. 
    Unrelated to the topic, what flightsims do you play?
    Today it's Prepar3d, X-plane and Aerofly

Here's my simpit ;)

@BillMurphy You should make an 'OMFG' button just for this setup alone :D