Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what happened to PG planets and landing on them?

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Erillion said:

Cause for the delay : ITS HARD.  See ... all your answers in two words.

You mistake hard with bad development...
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Gdemami said:
    Erillion said:

I'd have to take DS's assessment on this.

If there is anyone who is a pro at bad development, it would be him ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Gdemami said:
    Erillion said:

I am not mistaking anything. But do not believe me. Read what experts say about it.

That is the opinion from an independent developer working on his own space game as he analyses Star Citizen and what it is trying to achieve:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/10/21/ascents-lead-dev-offers-insight-on-the-star-citizen-controversy/

Have fun

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Erillion said:
    Gdemami said:
    Erillion said:

I am not mistaking anything. But do not believe me. Read what experts say about it.

That is the opinion from an independent developer working on his own space game as he analyses Star Citizen and what it is trying to achieve:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/10/21/ascents-lead-dev-offers-insight-on-the-star-citizen-controversy/

Have fun

You gave the wrong link there man.  That guy is basically saying CIG is full of crap in the nicest way possible.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:
    Erillion said:
    filmoret said:
    Erillion said:

"The evidence is what CIG claimed and kept pushing then to suddenly say oops its not gonna work.  Just so happens every delay and mistake they made encouraged backers to give more money.  This is literally the only company that you get persecuted for believing.  I'll show you a few examples.

The only reason the production was delayed in the first place was because they decided to go open space with no loading screens.   Yet you gotta do an awful lot of digging to find out this one simple truth.

--> What are you jabbering about ? Here is an excerpt from the original Kickstarter page:
    • ---> "Range of scale never seen before in a game "

---> "From a vast 1km long carrier to a 27m fighter, to your 1.8m tall pilot, Everything is rendered and to the same level of detail. Zoom in to the paneling of the carrier and its texel density is the same as the 27m fighter. All without a load screen or loss of visual fidelity."

Ok now we have to back way up here.  Back back back....    So if they didn't expand the scope you would have a game right now?  What exactly in the scope caused so much delay?  

Excellent question. Ask CIG. There is a whole official forum for that.

And yes - they DID answer that question ... most recently in the "GameStar" computer gaming magazine Star Citizen article series (the english Translation was linked here in other threads, originally from a Star Citizen Reddit member using Google Translator).

And its interesting that you suddenly change the subject now that your statement about loading screens has been verifiably proven wrong. 

Have fun

Dude we had a thread about this over a year ago going back and forth trying to figure out the cause for original delays.  You just shot yourself in the foot not me.  Because that really was the only reason that I found and now I'm finding it wans't even true.

Dude!! This article was just published. Also, why are you so concerned about what was said a year ago when a plethora of really good, first party information with ample explanation now appears to be available? So are you saying that if you had this article a year ago, you would have just walked away, not said another word? Me thinky noty. 

FYI, if you're interested in the read, the translated version is here, or you can go to Gamestar and it looks like you have to sign up to get access or something.
    Dude because we hashed through link after link and post after post and it was like 10 of us and we couldn't find anything to cause a 4 year delay to the development process.  So you can see where I'm coming from the game in its entirety was promised to be finished in like 2014 or something of the sort.  CIG claimed it was because the scope being expanded that caused the major delay.  So I was like ok thats acceptable but what feature was added that caused this.  And well noone has a good answer.  So the reason for delays was expanded scope yet noone knows what part of the expanded scope caused any delays.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Erillion said:

Have fun

I assume you do not even realize the guy is reinforcing my point...
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    laserit said:
    Gdemami said:
    Erillion said:

I'd have to take DS's assessment on this.

If there is anyone who is a pro at bad development, it would be him ;)

I lol'd it, but totally wanted to awesome it and agree on it as well. 

I believe it's pretty commonly accepted that development of SC under CR was slow-going. My guess is that, since we've seen what seems like much quicker development since he was replaced as being grand overseerer of everything, things are progressing at a much more normal rate now. That being said, I wouldn't trivialize the work. I mean DS has been working on it for nearly a decade now with little or nothing to show for it, and he still claimed that SC was impossible, so there must have been significant hurdles that they needed to overcome (yes I say needed as in they've overcome them now).  

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Erillion said:
    How fun is it to walk around in your ship? Are there a lot of things to do beside enter/exit and fly it? Like minigames, hidden unlocks, that kind of stuff?

Lets see:

We did "Last man Standing" PvP matches in some of the larger ships (Starfarer)

We did group dancing

We did parties (and came drunk - which is possible in game if you have a liquor cabinet in your hangar ;-)

We did hide and seek

We did parades

We reenacted Alien

We roleplayed the "Dark Star" crew and its talking to a bomb ... (another ship, a Constellation, launching all its Missiles at once simulated the bomb ;-)

We tried to bring that dastardly vendor machine from anywhere to anywhere else, using all the tricks in the book to move that piece of Hardware  (some call it the "Benny noodles" minigame).

We did a crashcar derby

We did Station stealth assaults

We did stealth sniping out of a "Ghost" ship cargo hold

etc.

(your Imagination and that of your friends is the limit)

Hidden unlocks ... there are some weapons you can unlock for killing people or finding derelict wrecks in the asteroid belt.

Have fun

Oh wow...
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited March 2017
    filmoret said:
    So the reason for delays was expanded scope yet noone knows what part of the expanded scope caused any delays.
    Delusional statement.

You go from one simple story mode to one full SP game release. From a game locked to gameplay of ship flying and combat, to one full-way integration of FPS mechanics through the entire game loop and within SP campaign.

With that said... What part of the "scope" was exactly years in dev and due the mistakes they did already admit to, had to be done again?  Yup... Congratulations, you have reached enlightenment!

If you did not, well, then you're impossible to reason with.
    filmoret said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:
    Erillion said:
    filmoret said:
    Erillion said:

"The evidence is what CIG claimed and kept pushing then to suddenly say oops its not gonna work.  Just so happens every delay and mistake they made encouraged backers to give more money.  This is literally the only company that you get persecuted for believing.  I'll show you a few examples.

The only reason the production was delayed in the first place was because they decided to go open space with no loading screens.   Yet you gotta do an awful lot of digging to find out this one simple truth.

--> What are you jabbering about ? Here is an excerpt from the original Kickstarter page:

---> "From a vast 1km long carrier to a 27m fighter, to your 1.8m tall pilot, Everything is rendered and to the same level of detail. Zoom in to the paneling of the carrier and its texel density is the same as the 27m fighter. All without a load screen or loss of visual fidelity."

Ok now we have to back way up here.  Back back back....    So if they didn't expand the scope you would have a game right now?  What exactly in the scope caused so much delay?  

And yes - they DID answer that question ... most recently in the "GameStar" computer gaming magazine Star Citizen article series (the english Translation was linked here in other threads, originally from a Star Citizen Reddit member using Google Translator).

And its interesting that you suddenly change the subject now that your statement about loading screens has been verifiably proven wrong. 

Have fun

Dude we had a thread about this over a year ago going back and forth trying to figure out the cause for original delays.  You just shot yourself in the foot not me.  Because that really was the only reason that I found and now I'm finding it wans't even true.

Dude!! This article was just published. Also, why are you so concerned about what was said a year ago when a plethora of really good, first party information with ample explanation now appears to be available? So are you saying that if you had this article a year ago, you would have just walked away, not said another word? Me thinky noty. 

FYI, if you're interested in the read, the translated version is here, or you can go to Gamestar and it looks like you have to sign up to get access or something.
    Dude because we hashed through link after link and post after post and it was like 10 of us and we couldn't find anything to cause a 4 year delay to the development process.  So you can see where I'm coming from the game in its entirety was promised to be finished in like 2014 or something of the sort.  CIG claimed it was because the scope being expanded that caused the major delay.  So I was like ok thats acceptable but what feature was added that caused this.  And well noone has a good answer.  So the reason for delays was expanded scope yet noone knows what part of the expanded scope caused any delays.

Ahhhh, ok, thanks for clarifying. 

My assumption that it's a collective, not a singular change. If you can make it through the article with the German-to-English translation quirks, it's actually a pretty good read. No, there is no red herring, but he does lament that he should have been more clear up-front because now he's having to answer these questions about schedule and date slips all the time. You can tell based on his response that there was intent to communicate that information, but it was just poorly communicated.

It may also answer some of your questions about how close to the ship date the delay announcement was left. He does indicate that right up until citizen con, SQ42 was on the schedule, but it was scratched at last minute due to animation chunkyness. Also, 3.0 was still planned as of Citizencon, but things just weren't up to snuff, so they went back to the drawing board on 3.0, since 3.0 would, essentially, be a complete game at that point. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:
    Erillion said:
    filmoret said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

My assumption that it's a collective, not a singular change. If you can make it through the article with the German-to-English translation quirks, it's actually a pretty good read. No, there is no red herring, but he does lament that he should have been more clear up-front because now he's having to answer these questions about schedule and date slips all the time. You can tell based on his response that there was intent to communicate that information, but it was just poorly communicated.

It may also answer some of your questions about how close to the ship date the delay announcement was left. He does indicate that right up until citizen con, SQ42 was on the schedule, but it was scratched at last minute due to animation chunkyness. Also, 3.0 was still planned as of Citizencon, but things just weren't up to snuff, so they went back to the drawing board on 3.0, since 3.0 would, essentially, be a complete game at that point. 
    There was a blanket answer that kept getting thrown out.  The scope has increased therefore the development time has increased.  But when you looked at the scope there was no increase.  Unless you wanted to count bobblehead figures and extra planets there wasn't anything added.  Considering we are still waiting on the first planet that excuse was well inexcusable.  IDK if I feel like reading that article you posted right now I'll definitely check it out later thanks.
    edited March 2017
    filmoret said:
    Unless you wanted to count bobblehead figures and extra planets there wasn't anything added. 
    WHAT?!?!

What fundamentally core gameplay feature, wasn't there on the pitched game, but was there (and is there now) when the scope increased?! 

This statement is unbelievable, how can you not know? How can you not know that FPS wasn't part of the pitched game... How can you not know how much the design changed when it was announced and how many features derivate from its existence?

You know what the Star Citizen original scope for gameplay was?

What will the gameplay be like?

Star Citizen will feature gameplay similar to the original Wing Commander and Privateer, with a more realistic physics system.  This means that it is NOT a ‘click to kill’ interface like most modern MMOs; your success in combat is going to depend as much on your skill with a space fighter as it will with your ship upgrades and your pocket book.

With the original gameplay scope in mind... look at the gameplay scope available on the Alpha right now... and tell me that "there wasn't anything added". You can't be serious... 

http://i.imgur.com/DSwNSRk.png
    MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:
    Unless you wanted to count bobblehead figures and extra planets there wasn't anything added. 
    WHAT?!?!

What fundamentally core gameplay feature, wasn't there on the pitched game, but was there (and is there now) when the scope increased?! 

This statement is unbelievable, how can you not know? How can you not know that FPS wasn't part of the pitched game... How can you not know how much the design changed when it was announced and how many features derivate from its existence?

You know what the Star Citizen original scope for gameplay was?

What will the gameplay be like?

Star Citizen will feature gameplay similar to the original Wing Commander and Privateer, with a more realistic physics system.  This means that it is NOT a ‘click to kill’ interface like most modern MMOs; your success in combat is going to depend as much on your skill with a space fighter as it will with your ship upgrades and your pocket book.

With the original gameplay scope in mind... look at the gameplay scope available on the Alpha right now... and tell me that "there wasn't anything added". You can't be serious... 

http://i.imgur.com/DSwNSRk.png
    Umm yea.   What was added?   OH BTW FPS was part of the original pitch.
    edited March 2017
    filmoret said:
    Where? That description of how is the game gameplay going to be like makes 0 reference to FPS, neither it is announced as a feature on the Kickstarter. 

The very pitched design as it shows, was one sequel to Wing Commander (SQ42) without any FPS Mechanics, and that online game-world. As the stretch goals rolled in that's when they started talking FPS; up until stretch goals related to FPS, like Boarding.

SQ42 only got confirmed FPS combat, I think on 2015. Showing the clear design changes expanding the scope of something that originally wasn't meant to be.
    MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:
    Where? That description of how is the game gameplay going to be like makes 0 reference to FPS, neither it is announced as a feature on the Kickstarter. 

The very pitched design as it shows, was one sequel to Wing Commander (SQ42) without any FPS Mechanics, and that online game-world. As the stretch goals rolled in that's when they started talking FPS; up until stretch goals related to FPS, like Boarding.

SQ42 only got confirmed FPS combat, I think on 2015. Showing the clear design changes expanding the scope of something that originally wasn't meant to be.
    Well in the kickstarter video.  The guy walks around outside of the ship.  There is also a scene where the character is floating in space.   Put a gun in his hand and boom you got fps.  Really not that hard to do since you already got player characters walking around and floating in space.

Are you confusing perhaps planetside fps combat?   Now that might be something that was added is planetside landings but IDK.
    edited March 2017
    filmoret said:
    Well in the kickstarter video.  The guy walks around outside of the ship.  There is also a scene where the character is floating in space.   Put a gun in his hand and boom you got fps.  Really not that hard to do since you already got player characters walking around and floating in space.
    Nope it was not confirmed, if it was, it'd be on the actual pitch descriptions of what the game is, and what type of gameplay it has (FPS wasn't there). 

SQ42 is again the biggest example of this, it did not had FPS combat within its missions. I think it was on a Q&A with Erin Roberts on 2015 that he confirmed that indeed it would have FPS included. And I do remember this because some discussions popped in from backers who didn't like that at all when it was mentioned; its very original pitch always implied the full space-sim on it (that's what I also expected).

The same way, on 2016 they did confirm SQ42 would have planetside missions, something that before was claimed to be not be part of it.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Erillion said:
    Gdemami said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

Bwaaahaaahaaaa these guys throw out links they dont even read apparently.

But its the same song and dances its been for the past couple years. Always......it coming dont wqrry about it. Those comments are as predictable as the 'here look at this ship sale we are having' at the end of every Chris Roberts appearance at a convention.

I saw some one make a claim that 'mining' was going to be put in 3.0. Has that ever been shown anyway where? Has there ever been a mining play through at a convention? Thats a serious question I dont know.

But what I want to know is there going to be the ability to unpack your dragonfly (inside the cargo hold of a bigger ship), get on it, start it up, lift off fly out a cargo bay door into open space, fly around that open space, fly back tot hat same ship or to another ship, fly INTO the cargo hold again, land, 'secure' it, then dismount? All without a single cut screen and all in the same 'zone'/open space.

Until I see that in the test bed I will contend that that movie they claimed was 'gameplay' was as fake as it gets.

Pretty sure that was all promised for 3.0. I suspect their inability to do any of that stuff they showed in the movie in the game has a lot to do with all these delays. But I suspect they will bait and switch and none of that stuff I just mentioned will make it in, they will add these side things like 'mining' and PG planets and maybe may their persistence a little more wider in scope.
    edited March 2017
    filmoret said:
    CrazKanuk said:

There was a blanket answer that kept getting thrown out.  The scope has increased therefore the development time has increased.  But when you looked at the scope there was no increase.  Unless you wanted to count bobblehead figures and extra planets there wasn't anything added.  Considering we are still waiting on the first planet that excuse was well inexcusable.  IDK if I feel like reading that article you posted right now I'll definitely check it out later thanks.

Yeah, they definitely don't get into specifics. This is also the part where transparency hurts things. People want to believe that additional clarity will actually help them. However, the reality is that if they gave you (you being the collective Internet) additional insight into what was going on, the likelihood that you/they will understand it  approaches zero, as the complexity of the feature or issue increases. The problem with this is that we're all fucking geniuses thanks to Google now, and that means that your ability to act as an expert on the problem is just one search away. PROBLEM!! You still don't know shit! But you've now got hundreds of people with the same incorrect assumptions, based on the first search result in Google, grouping together trying to convince people that you've got the answer to all their problems, when you don't! You know nothing!! THIS!

Is why a blanket statement of "An increase in scope" is completely acceptable to me. There was another great example related to SC animations by @Turrican187 at some point. It was very detailed and sounded very intelligent. I even understood tidbits since I've worked with games before. However, I'm no expert. So saving actually becoming an expert in animation, coming back here 5 years from now and responding, all I could say was "Cool!" or "That's interesting! I noticed some shitty animations, maybe that's what the problem is." The fact, yes fact, that you can't get people to read a 3 or 4 page article, or watch a 10 minute YouTube video only supports the idea that giving people MORE information is a dangerous thing. 

PS That's just an opinion because, you know, I don't have a degree in psychology or anything :)

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

edited March 2017
    rodarin said:
    But what I want to know is there going to be the ability to unpack your dragonfly (inside the cargo hold of a bigger ship),
    BWHAHAAHHA xD
    Does it have to be inside a box? Really? xD

So if they implement all of that (we can already move ships within ships on the current alpha, the physic grids do support it).... without the box to "unwrap" your ship like a gift... You'll still claim it is fake?

Bonus: Here's a player docking a ship inside other ship... With the bonus of the SAME BUG (ship goes invisible) that happened on the Livestream demo of 3.0 (1:09):

MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:
    Nope it was not confirmed, if it was, it'd be on the actual pitch descriptions of what the game is, and what type of gameplay it has (FPS wasn't there). 

SQ42 is again the biggest example of this, it did not had FPS combat within its missions. I think it was on a Q&A with Erin Roberts on 2015 that he confirmed that indeed it would have FPS included. And I do remember this because some discussions popped in from backers who didn't like that at all when it was mentioned; its very original pitch always implied the full space-sim on it (that's what I also expected).

The same way, on 2016 they did confirm SQ42 would have planetside missions, something that before was claimed to be not be part of it.
    They already had walking around outside of the ship.  So adding the ability to hold a gun and shoot at each other isnt really a massive undertaking.  Yes they did add fps missions to sq42.  You are using a feature like holding a gun in the hand of an already existing character and making it look like some great milestone and it is not even close.
    filmoret said:
    MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:

They already had walking around outside of the ship.  So adding the ability to hold a gun and shoot at each other isnt really a massive undertaking.  Yes they did add fps missions to sq42.  You are using a feature like holding a gun in the hand of an already existing character and making it look like some great milestone and it is not even close.

See my comment above. Putting FPS mechanics in a game is not placing a gun in their hand. Also, depending on what you already had in the game, this could be non-trivial work. For instance, unless you just accept bullets as any other projectile, then you'd need a redesign of a lot of your framework to either add additional parameters to your classes for stuff like projectile type (if not already there), which would require refactoring of your base code, the level of this change would depend greatly on how lazy you were to begin with. If you're actively catching exceptions and doing something with them, maybe it can be mitigated, but if you aren't then it could mean that adding additional projectiles could cause crashes elsewhere in the game. Alternatively, you can add new classes, states, etc. for people who are pew pewing with puny guns. However, you also need to make sure that you've updated your code, as well, so that your little pew pew bullets don't like make a capital ship explode or something ridiculous. 

So, depending on WHEN this decision was made could mean minor work, or could mean major refactors across the entire code base. 

That being said, I'm not an expert in game development, so that's just my opinion based on what I know of game development. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

edited March 2017
    filmoret said:
    I'm not discussing how hard it would be or not, due the nature of the engine they used on the first place it's obvious, but mind there's a huge gap between having one gun that shoots and such (like those when it was just AC), to proper FPS mechanics integrated within the entire game that was indeed the direction the game took.

I'm talking about what they originally pitched, and back then when SC was indeed pitched, we just had to look at that KS page and there was nothing about it. We saw SQ42 and we saw the whole you walking inside ships and so forth, but missions and such fully space-sim driven. I remember well when I backed SC from all I have read I didn't expect SQ42 to have FPS play on it, only on SC. 
  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    Say what you will about ED but at least they didnt try and build it with CryEngine. Cobra is an infinitely superior engine for space sims.
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    MaxBacon said:
    rodarin said:
    But what I want to know is there going to be the ability to unpack your dragonfly (inside the cargo hold of a bigger ship),
    BWHAHAAHHA xD
    Does it have to be inside a box? Really? xD

So if they implement all of that (we can already move ships within ships on the current alpha, the physic grids do support it).... without the box to "unwrap" your ship like a gift... You'll still claim it is fake?

Bonus: Here's a player docking a ship inside other ship... With the bonus of the SAME BUG (ship goes invisible) that happened on the Livestream demo of 3.0 (1:09):

That looks awful. I really hope that is just a compilation of bugs and not representative of the game. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

edited March 2017
    MMOman101 said:
    That looks awful. I really hope that is just a compilation of bugs and not representative of the game. 
    It is a compilation of "for science!" experiments for a mechanic currently not implemented within the game, that is docking a ship inside other ship. So yeah you can file it under bugs because we're not supposed to be doing that
This discussion has been closed.