Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what happened to PG planets and landing on them?

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited March 2017
    Kefo said:
    Why would it be delusional? This is supposedly the most open and transparent game dev ever! So if that's the case why is stuff being shown to journalists and not to backers who actually paid to have this created?
    The stuff shown to the journalists was also shown to the backers.

Maybe one day you'll learn more on business and marketing and then you may understand why a crowdfunded company like this still has to behave like a normal one when it comes to marketing. I think it's a fair giveaway due the highlight they get from it.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    Is it true one has to re-download the entire thing everytime it's patched?
    At the moment yes. But will be changed soon. 

Have fun
    How much longer will you keep saying soon? 

Either CIG doesn't care that some people don't have unlimited internet or they are too incompetent to program a file patcher.
    Until "soon" becomes "now". 

Have fun
  • PigozzPigozz Member UncommonPosts: 886
    Reading this thread
    I cannot help myself but wonder why is anyone still defending the CIG...
    Be a fan all you want, after-all, the game looks really promising
    But for god sake, be pissed off at how the company is behaving towards its backers - the amount of BS "release" dates is outright ridiculous and there's really no excuse for missing every module release nth times
    and by such an extreme amounts of time

You can be supportive yet critical at the same time, and CIG currently deserves a HEAVY criticism considering their absolutely messed up development

I think I actually spent way more time reading and theorycrafting about MMOs than playing them

Pigozz said:
    Reading this thread
    But for god sake, be pissed off at how the company is behaving towards its backers - the amount of BS "release" dates is outright ridiculous and there's really no excuse for missing every module release nth times

You can be supportive yet critical at the same time, and CIG currently deserves a HEAVY criticism considering their absolutely messed up development

You will find PLENTY of criticism on the official forums. The difference is ... it is much more often than not CONSTRUCTIVE criticism.  And the CIG devs - including Chris Roberts - have commented on those posts. Even in the gaming press (most recently in a multi part series of  (in total) 16 pages about SC in the German "GameStar" magazine. Mistakes have been made ... and have been admitted by the developers.

In other forums there are known groups (e.g. from Somethingawful)  that try to spam gaming websites with exclusively destructive criticism ... trolling for trollings sake.... which is their stated and intended goal. They do that in various games - and SC is their pet project because they tried to repeat a dominance trick they did in EVE Online ... and failed in SC .. and got pissed.

So ... most backers are both supportive AND critical at the same time.

We choose to support Star Citizen! ...We choose to help make this game a reality in this decade - and do the other things like Alpha testing, not because they are easy, but because they are hard; because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win ...    ;-)

Have fun

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited March 2017
    There's certainly plenty of criticism, some of it warranted and some not. Hovever, every single article where there is any criticism you are guaranteed to see the SCDF turn up in force and shout the "detractor" down. They are very, very selective about what is allowed to be criticised and it usually follows topic-of-the-week on the forums or the subreddit. It really is like some weird hivemind crap.

I think laying all the blame at SA's door is totally overstating the influence and dedication they might have, it's like saying any complainer is a ds alt.

The company and the game deserves virtually all the criticism it receives because of the pedestal they (and the fans) have put themselves on and failed to aspire too. By all means brag when you deliver but not before....

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Erillion said:

and SC is their pet project because they tried to repeat a dominance trick they did in EVE Online ... and failed in SC .. and got pissed.

Oh my! You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about do you? :D

..Cake..

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    So you're saying that a game that has released unpolished pieces of crap to the public in the past and it being a pre-alpha game that they shouldn't release things to the backers to test and provide feedback?
    Yes, when they are ready to be tested.

It ain't the backers that are asking PG to be released stand-alone from the 3.0 update. So idk why should they feel forced to re-prioritize their dev pipeline to do so. lol
    True the backers are completely happy printing jpegs of ships and rolling all over them while laughing hysterically.  
    Are you onto something or just on something?
    edited March 2017
    filmoret said:
    True the backers are completely happy printing jpegs of ships and rolling all over them while laughing hysterically.  
    Nice dodge. The fact remains really, you come here all entitled boo-hoo CIG for not releasing PG as a stand-alone release, when it's not what the backers, even if not happy about how 3.0 is still unreleased, are wanting, expecting and/or waiting for.

For me it requires quite the entitlement to attack the company for they wanting to release PG on 3.0 because you think they should release it stand-alone from it. --'

And from someone who is not even a backer... lol
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited March 2017
    Pigozz said:
    Reading this thread

Yeah you can be, but these forums are far from being just critical. If you read this thread and others like this and think that most of what the majority of the naysayers say sounds logical or even sane and seems like fair criticism, I just don't know what to say. There are a few who do ask who are critical and fair, but those people are few and far between.

The main problem is there is no chance for fan to share their thoughts here because when ever a thread opens the anti-sc brigade kicks in, spouting the same questions for the past 3 years. ignoring all information posted on SC website which could answer their questions, even when their questions are answered here, they dismiss it all.

How do you know the fans aren't pissed or being critical? Have you actually asked them? Have any of your asked Erillion or Maxbacon or anyone else, what don't you like about the project? I highly doubt it.

This is the problem here, people act as they know what the fans want and how they feel., they believe they are the divining hand here to save people, but the thing is, they don't need saving. Yes the delivery times are fucked, but they deliver and the fans know that and it's clear for anyone to see unless you have some deep seeded hate and wish to ignore all information.

Why do you think press and other outlets don't post like they did in 2015 or before? The escapist, Kotaku and such? We had constant articles, post, blogs about SC being critical. Because the drama isn't as deep as some wish it to believe and they understand whats happening due to the shitton of info they post on their site on a daily bases.

The game is being created, while management is poor, no one has yet to deny that, it's still being developed and the delayed content, so far, has always been delivered. Am I wrong in saying that? 2.0, SM and ships as an example. 

Overall people here need to get over it an move on, it's fine to be critical, no one has said you can't be, even people deemed super fanbois, but most who speak up aren't being critical, they're not looking for answers or trying to understand. If you haven't seen that by now then there's not much left to be said

edited March 2017
    Herase said:
    Overall people here need to get over it an move on, it's fine to be critical, no one has said you can't be, even people deemed super fanbois, but most who speak up aren't being critical, they're not looking for answers or trying to understand. If you haven't seen that by now then there's not much left to be said
    This is so true, people like even the OP of this thread, no looking for answers or any legit discussion. Just plain and pure BS and drama set on circular discussions.

The level of extremism is just too high, the criticism rises to hate, people making questions not wanting to hear the answer rises to trolling. It's as easy as see some posters of this thread, they will never, EVER, agree with something that is not negativity towards the game & its devs because that goes against what they are here for...

Then we have people who even already admittedly said they are here just for the drama... It's hard to even pretend we have serious legitimate discussions here. --'

Maybe one day.

sgel said:
    Erillion said:

and SC is their pet project because they tried to repeat a dominance trick they did in EVE Online ... and failed in SC .. and got pissed.

Oh my! You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about do you? :D

More than you might think ;-)

Have fun

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Erillion " Are we there Yet "
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    Elsabolts said:
    Erillion " Are we there Yet "

"Shut up, donkey! " ;-)

httpscdnmemeamcacheinstancesfolder89439283894jpg

Have fun

edited March 2017
    Btw, update: Mining has just been confirmed for the 3.0 Update
    It has been moved from 3.1 to 3.0 (Brian Chambers at 6:21m)

MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:
    Nice dodge. The fact remains really, you come here all entitled boo-hoo CIG for not releasing PG as a stand-alone release, when it's not what the backers, even if not happy about how 3.0 is still unreleased, are wanting, expecting and/or waiting for.

For me it requires quite the entitlement to attack the company for they wanting to release PG on 3.0 because you think they should release it stand-alone from it. --'

And from someone who is not even a backer... lol
    Meanwhile Chris is completely happy rolling around in backer money laughing hysterically.
    Herase said:
    Pigozz said:
    Reading this thread

Yeah you can be, but these forums are far from being just critical. If you read this thread and others like this and think that most of what the majority of the naysayers say sounds logical or even sane and seems like fair criticism, I just don't know what to say. There are a few who do ask who are critical and fair, but those people are few and far between.

The main problem is there is no chance for fan to share their thoughts here because when ever a thread opens the anti-sc brigade kicks in, spouting the same questions for the past 3 years. ignoring all information posted on SC website which could answer their questions, even when their questions are answered here, they dismiss it all.

How do you know the fans aren't pissed or being critical? Have you actually asked them? Have any of your asked Erillion or Maxbacon or anyone else, what don't you like about the project? I highly doubt it.

This is the problem here, people act as they know what the fans want and how they feel., they believe they are the divining hand here to save people, but the thing is, they don't need saving. Yes the delivery times are fucked, but they deliver and the fans know that and it's clear for anyone to see unless you have some deep seeded hate and wish to ignore all information.

Why do you think press and other outlets don't post like they did in 2015 or before? The escapist, Kotaku and such? We had constant articles, post, blogs about SC being critical. Because the drama isn't as deep as some wish it to believe and they understand whats happening due to the shitton of info they post on their site on a daily bases.

The game is being created, while management is poor, no one has yet to deny that, it's still being developed and the delayed content, so far, has always been delivered. Am I wrong in saying that? 2.0, SM and ships as an example. 

Honestly this is all from how CIG did shady business.  It wasn't untill November or December when they actually started being honest and half way competent.  So everything that happened before that time is really bad stuff and there's a lot of garbage and dirt floating around with empty promises and falsely generated hype for the purpose of raising funds.  There is no excuse for how they acted before December giving what was clearly known as false hope for the sake of getting more money.  Sad thing is it actually worked.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited March 2017
    There's certainly plenty of criticism, some of it warranted and some not. Hovever, every single article where there is any criticism you are guaranteed to see the SCDF turn up in force and shout the "detractor" down. They are very, very selective about what is allowed to be criticised and it usually follows topic-of-the-week on the forums or the subreddit. It really is like some weird hivemind crap.

I think laying all the blame at SA's door is totally overstating the influence and dedication they might have, it's like saying any complainer is a ds alt.

The company and the game deserves virtually all the criticism it receives because of the pedestal they (and the fans) have put themselves on and failed to aspire too. By all means brag when you deliver but not before....

And any time that an SC thread appears the EDDF shows up to make sure that they put some jabs in? Maybe if Frontiers released such a great game you'd have something better to do with your time than worry about another, yes? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    CrazKanuk said:

And any time that an SC thread appears the EDDF shows up to make sure that they put some jabs in? Maybe if Frontiers released such a great game you'd have something better to do with your time then worry about another, yes? 

You at least can play Elitedangrous and its not that bad and continue to up date and add stuff.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    filmoret said:
    Herase said:
    Pigozz said:
    Reading this thread

Honestly this is all from how CIG did shady business.  It wasn't untill November or December when they actually started being honest and half way competent.  So everything that happened before that time is really bad stuff and there's a lot of garbage and dirt floating around with empty promises and falsely generated hype for the purpose of raising funds.  There is no excuse for how they acted before December giving what was clearly known as false hope for the sake of getting more money.  Sad thing is it actually worked.

No, there's no evidence of anything like that. You're simply believing what the Internet told you. Unfortunately, you and many others seem to be hanging onto these ideas and, now, even though the game has turned a corner and has become almost inevitable, you end up sounding like a broken record. That's fine though, I know many people who have trouble accepting that maybe they were wrong. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

filmoret said:
    Herase said:
    Pigozz said:
    Reading this thread

And again ... wrong.

You will find Information on changes in management procedures, much needed optimization and studio work load distribution in 2015 - Erin Roberts did some restructuring back then. Of course, back then the doomsayers were shouting about layoffs and the death of the CIG Austin studio (which - guess what - never happened).

http://www.polygon.com/2015/9/25/9399345/star-citizen-is-reorganizing-its-teams-not-conducting-layoffs

"As we announced in June with the appointment of Erin Roberts as Global Production Head we have been reviewing how to optimize our development process," the statement continues. "As a result we are moving some jobs and eliminating some redundant positions between some of our offices, as well as increasing them in others. The net result over the next few months will actually be an increase in our global internal employee base."

Have fun

• TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    CrazKanuk said:
    That's fine though, I know many people who have trouble accepting that maybe they were wrong. 
    You know 99% of the human populace?! By the gods.. You are the ultimate social butterfly.. :)

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

Elsabolts said:
    CrazKanuk said:

And any time that an SC thread appears the EDDF shows up to make sure that they put some jabs in? Maybe if Frontiers released such a great game you'd have something better to do with your time then worry about another, yes? 

You at least can play Elitedangrous and its not that bad and continue to up date and add stuff.

Is that your official review? 

"Elite Dangerous: You can at least play it..... and it's not that bad!" 

Holy shit! Hold onto your wallets people! With glowing reviews like this, it's no wonder many more aren't playing. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:
    Herase said:
    Pigozz said:
    Reading this thread

No, there's no evidence of anything like that. You're simply believing what the Internet told you. Unfortunately, you and many others seem to be hanging onto these ideas and, now, even though the game has turned a corner and has become almost inevitable, you end up sounding like a broken record. That's fine though, I know many people who have trouble accepting that maybe they were wrong. 
    The evidence is what CIG claimed and kept pushing then to suddenly say oops its not gonna work.  Just so happens every delay and mistake they made encouraged backers to give more money.  This is literally the only company that you get persecuted for believing.  I'll show you a few examples.

The only reason the production was delayed in the first place was because they decided to go open space with no loading screens.   Yet you gotta do an awful lot of digging to find out this one simple truth.

At one point Chris said that Star Marine will be ready in 1 week.  It took over a year for Star Marine to launch after he said that.

They said that SQ 42 would be ready by December of 2016.  That message remained on their website untill October or November.  At which time they delayed it.   "Kinda odd how everyone knew this date was impossible but CIG didn't bother to tell anyone untill last minute"

Then they said that 3.0 would be ready by December and that message also didn't change unill October or November despite the fact that common sense told everyone it wasn't possible.

Yea I can get trying to project a deadline that is a year away isn't easy.  They didn't change deadlnies untill last minute when they should have just been upfront once they realized it wasn't possible.  They kept the truth hidden so they could generate hype and revenue.
  • TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    It occurs to me I have never really chimed in on this whole Star Citizen thing.. To be honest, as a former Earth and Beyond player (so many moons ago), I find myself kind of looking forward to what SC could become.. The controversy seems rather odd however.. Fanatical doomsayers on one side and defiant defenders on the other..

Remembering the horror show that was Star Gate Worlds and the true shadyness that went on behind the scenes sort of makes this one pale in comparison.. I get it though, here comes a Dev with Peter-Molyneux-style dreams and a kickstarter the likes of which has never been seen.. The inherent distrust of "its gotta be too good to be true" mentality would naturally rear its head..

Okay.. So if SC goes all Enron on us, then boo-F'ing hoo.. One more sad entry into the many many footnotes of greedy @$$holes in human history.. Put a warrant (or bounty) on their heads and chase them down.. Liquidate their assets and pay back the duped.. But, if the game and its designers are true in their intentions and only want to create the best vision that they can for their game, then let them.. Good games take A LOT of prep time to make..

Since every decent MMO I have ever played took at least 5+ years to create, I remain in the "hopeful gamer" category and refrain from undue impatience.. Anyway.. Just my own 2 cents..

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

edited March 2017
    filmoret said:
    At one point Chris said that Star Marine will be ready in 1 week.  It took over a year for Star Marine to launch after he said that.
    And there were clear reasons for that, as they admitted to and have explained. But of course people like you ignore that and prefer to live on the world where their opinions are the factual truth to everything. The world where nothing is what it looks like and where there's always some bigger truth and conspiracy behind of why things happen.
This discussion has been closed.