Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So what happened to PG planets and landing on them?

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Erillion said:
    filmoret said:
    Erillion said:
    filmoret said:
    lol at the people who think I should be reading and believing what CIG tells us.  It helps to stay informed on what they are saying.  Sorta like how this guy was well informed then realized hey something ins't right because they lied to me.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/366680/sorry-guys-3-0-is-not-coming-any-time-soon-or-at-least-for-the-first-8-months-of-2017-or-even-dece

I have no clue why CIG didn't remove his post.

Why should CIG remove that post?

The OP (Space Cowboy) blames CIG for making him spend more money on SC than he wanted. He does not think it was his lack of control over his spending habits. It was CIG that made him do it. Bad CIG !

OP said : "I know im responsible for my ship purchases, but i did it based on what hype CIG created on August. Cant entirely blame me for that. That was a low move."   --> What did CIG do to you, Space Cowboy? Hold a gun to your head ? Threatened some kittens? CIG presented their development schedule and plans. Nothing more, nothing less.

The OP thought that "end of December 2016" was a fixed date written in stone ... which no one ever claimed, certainly not CIG. Another case of "I believe it is like THAT, so reality has to be like THAT ... or else!"

Have fun

I am not happy I had to search for this since you know perfectly well why that guy was upset.  Nice deflection there.  He was mad because during gamescon 2016 they said that 3.0 was scheduled to be released somewhere around December of 2016.  The guy was mad because he purchased some stuff at that point because he  was stupid enough to BELIEVE  what CIG claimed.

He then goes on to state how upset he was because there is no way CIG believed that 3.0 was going to launch in December but they just said that to get some revenue once again by lying.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/19/12559536/star-citizen-version-30

The guy was mad because he could not control his own urges. Then regretted it. And instead of understanding that he had only himself to blame, he projected his self guilt onto an external source (=CIG).

Not to mention that he did not have to buy anything additional. With his existing pledge he could have gotten anything he wanted in the game through in game means once the game has launched.  

That guy thought all the mentioned dates were written in stone ... which no one claimed, certainly not CIG.

If development takes longer it is regrettable ... but that is not lying. Its a fact of life in most video game projects.

Have fun   

The problem was the claim made in August that it would be ready by December.  Ok we all know there can be delays but when you project something 4 months and it turns out to be 12 months then I'd say someone wasn't being honest.   A 4 month projection would consist of mainly working out bugs and a few minor details. 
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Erillion said:

The OP (Space Cowboy) blames CIG for making him spend more money on SC than he wanted. He does not think it was his lack of control over his spending habits. It was CIG that made him do it. Bad CIG !

OP said : "I know im responsible for my ship purchases, but i did it based on what hype CIG created on August. Cant entirely blame me for that. That was a low move."   --> What did CIG do to you, Space Cowboy? Hold a gun to your head ? Threatened some kittens? CIG presented their development schedule and plans. Nothing more, nothing less.

The OP thought that "end of December 2016" was a fixed date written in stone ... which no one ever claimed, certainly not CIG. Another case of "I believe it is like THAT, so reality has to be like THAT ... or else!"

Have fun

Are you really condoning companies being able to lie to customers and then saying it's the customer's fault if they believe that lie?

Roberts was quite emphatic that they would deliver 3.0 before the 19th of December and while people should know better than to trust a single word that comes out of that guy's mouth he also has a duty to his backers to not misrepresent the status of the game.

If the date was made in good faith (lol) but changed due to design/engineering decisions then he should have simply inform people of those changes, like he promised he would do in their pledge document.

Are you really condoning people not being accountable for their actions? Also, there was an announcement that it was being pushed. They were doing another 2.x patch release and pushing 3.0 until 2017. This is no different than ED delaying Horizons. I mean people already bought it, right? Then they delayed it. They did the same with <insert nearly every game here>. I can appreciate someone being pissed that CIG is constantly pushing back schedules, but I think it's fucking hilarious when people try to sell ideas like their entire purchase decision was based off the release date. Fuck, it wasn't even a release date! It was an Alpha update! So the guy is, essentially, complaining about a game in Alpha that is not even entering a Beta state, it's an Alpha release. 

Yes, I am condoning this, with extreme prejudice!!!!! Until we've reached a level of accountability, as a society, where we can live up to that same expectation, then companies should continue to do what they're doing. ACTUALLY, I lead a team who is highly innovative and I actually pressure them to be more aggressive with their estimates. As it stands, we meet our estimates almost 100% of the time, which is fantastic!! Or is it? Reason being is that I can give a fluffy estimate and hit it 100% of the time any day of the week. That doesn't mean I'm doing a good job, though. I ask my team to strive to be around the 70-80% mark. It means that they are taking risks. Would I accept if they were missing dates 100% of the time? Nope! However, I think that we only, really, every concentrate on the failures of CIG. I haven't seen an objective list of what they accomplished on schedule versus off-schedule. If you've got it, I'd love to see it, though. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Erillion said:

Have fun

Are you really condoning companies being able to lie to customers and then saying it's the customer's fault if they believe that lie?

Roberts was quite emphatic that they would deliver 3.0 before the 19th of December and while people should know better than to trust a single word that comes out of that guy's mouth he also has a duty to his backers to not misrepresent the status of the game.

If the date was made in good faith (lol) but changed due to design/engineering decisions then he should have simply inform people of those changes, like he promised he would do in their pledge document.

Well, he DID inform people of those changes ....

There is even a link to the development timeline these days ....

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-Report

Have fun

• kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    Is it true one has to re-download the entire thing everytime it's patched?
    At the moment yes. But will be changed soon. 

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

Have fun

I cannot find the date that schedule was published.  I'm almost 100% certain it was either November or December.  Which would have been way too late to make such an announcement.
    filmoret said:
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

Have fun

I cannot find the date that schedule was published.  I'm almost 100% certain it was either November or December.  Which would have been way too late to make such an announcement.

Lol, by what standard? Honestly, I'm almost done with transparency. I asked for it for years, but now I feel like it's too much information and people simply can't handle it. This is in Alpha. A decade ago it's likely you wouldn't have heard about it yet, let alone get some insight into their development schedule. As for the notice itself, for someone operating under an iterative development cycle, how much notice would you like, exactly? Lol, they're probably working on 2-week iterations, lol.

Honestly, if there ever needed to be a case against offering transparency, SC is it! Meanwhile, back at the ranch, CU says something is going to be delayed and it's like "Yes, sir, very good sir" Lol. They're not talking about the timing of the notification of the delay, LMAO. There is, literally, no advantage to offering transparency because you still get the same commentary one way or another. If it went back to announcing a game 1 year out from release, I think it would solve the problem. Like they say, loose lips sink ships. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

Have fun

Lol, by what standard? Honestly, I'm almost done with transparency. I asked for it for years, but now I feel like it's too much information and people simply can't handle it. This is in Alpha. A decade ago it's likely you wouldn't have heard about it yet, let alone get some insight into their development schedule. As for the notice itself, for someone operating under an iterative development cycle, how much notice would you like, exactly? Lol, they're probably working on 2-week iterations, lol.

Honestly, if there ever needed to be a case against offering transparency, SC is it! Meanwhile, back at the ranch, CU says something is going to be delayed and it's like "Yes, sir, very good sir" Lol. They're not talking about the timing of the notification of the delay, LMAO. There is, literally, no advantage to offering transparency because you still get the same commentary one way or another. If it went back to announcing a game 1 year out from release, I think it would solve the problem. Like they say, loose lips sink ships. 
    Its ok you missed the point entirely.  For some reason CIG didnt realize there was a delay untill they were 1 month from finishing the game.  Oh wait and the delay ends up being a year not a week or month.
    filmoret said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    filmoret said:

Its ok you missed the point entirely.  For some reason CIG didnt realize there was a delay untill they were 1 month from finishing the game.  Oh wait and the delay ends up being a year not a week or month.

I didn't miss the point at all, actually I think you're just furthering the proof of the point I was making. We know what we know, in that the schedule moved, but you seem to believe that we also know what we don't know, which is the "Why" of that move. Was it an underlying technological problem that they couldn't overcome, or is it a shift in priorities? If it was an issue with technology, maybe they decided it was something that would be best solved in a later iteration when that work actually became critical path. Maybe they felt like some of the work occurring after the fix would actually roll up into a fix for the underlying technology and that work was scheduled for a later date. Maybe they just felt like they really needed to implement some sounds on the space door because it was removing the immersion necessary in a creative work environment. We just don't know the why. In the end, though, it doesn't really matter because even if you had the GREATEST answer in the world, there would be something to pick apart, which is why transparency is, unfortunately, a bad thing for game development, overall. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    SC is either going to be the greatest space sim of all time or one of the biggest disappointments in gaming history. Lets hope they don't No Man's Sky themselves with the promises
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    edited March 2017
    LMAO this thread got good....

Transparency? If they werent in a perpetual ship selling state they wouldnt tell anyone anything. They only show people what they want to show, and mostly stuff just to get them excited so they spend more money. Which this topic speaks to.

PG planets in reality shouldnt be THAT difficult and the fact that, despite them allegedly allowing 'journalists' to try out the tech, no one else has and it has been postponed to AT LEAST whenever 3.0 comes out which who knows when that will be.

How about the parts of the movie I showed were fake? The parts where they claimed to be able to open up a crate, have a dragonfly sitting there. Allow you to get on it, start it up, take of from INSIDE a ship fly through OPEN space, and then eventually fly INSIDE another ship. Then land it, get off, and get in the driver seat of the 'cargo' ship and fly to a planet then take off from inside that ship on the dragonfly and then fly around the planet? ALL without a single loading screen....

Is ANY of that going to be in 3.0? Other than maybe a flyable version of the dragonfly. Which for some reason will have the 'ability' to operate within other ships 'disabled'. Even if they do offer it.

And of course everyone remembers my fake video breakdown. That was August 2016, EVERY SC supporter claimed they would be seeing all that by Christmas. Here it is St Patricks Day almost and not one single thing ANY of those gamescon 'gameplay' videos showed has made it to the test server. Not a single one, let alone the stuff I said was faked.

So when will ANY of that get put on the test bed?

It might take time but all the negative stuff people claim about this game eventually gets proven. Now, I am sure you will all claim the predictable 'delays happen' But that begs the OBVIOUS question, if they had that then and were ACTUALLY Playing it then why cant they put it out now? Especially considering that at that point they were (according to them) 8 months into the Amazon platform exchange which according to everyone was going to make everything faster and easier to implement. So one would think that that fake video if it were actual gameplay footage was 'played' on the new 'build'.

And lets not start on SQ 42 that was also supposed to be out by Dec but even the most ardent supporters didnt believe that one. But even so three  months later there is still no realistic time table involving its release to the test server either.

So now its PG planets. Which is obviously the easiest of the three to implement.

In any event every 'next big' release on the test server is immediately followed by 'well we can hope the NEXT one delivers'. Because there hasnt been a single one that made SIGNIFICANT leaps to make this project anything other than it is, a perpetual development ATM machine for Chris Roberts and his cling ons.
    >>> It might take time but all the negative stuff people claim about this game eventually gets proven.  >>>

Which is a lie.

Have fun
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited March 2017
    Erillion said:
    >>> It might take time but all the negative stuff people claim about this game eventually gets proven.  >>>
    O.o I think the quote it's more...
    It might take time but the game will eventually get proven... released.

And that's all that matters, everything else will be years of noise surrounding the game's development; because in the end the game will be judged by its quality; not by how much money they've funded/spent, or by space doors, or by coffee machines.
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    This reminds me of this song:

Erillion said:

Which is a lie.

Have fun
    Not a lie because its true until its gets put in. The burden of proof is on the one making the claims its going to (eventually) be added to the test bed (at minimum).

I can link EVERY video, faked or otherwise, they have recorded at every convention they have done. With all the blockbuster additions they were going to add to the test bed. Those go back at least three years if not four. Not a single one, to my recollection has been added. Certainly none of the 'big' stuff like the planet stuff (simply landing on and taking off from or landing in a base and taking off from that base) that has been talked about for all of those years. Of course the excuse there is they have now switched to PG planets and all that had to be redone. Yeah where have we heard that before?

Have they done ANYTHING that they havent claimed to have to redo at least twice if not 3 or 4 times?

The funny part is people claim it takes a lot to make an mMO, which it does. With the amount of times these guys have redone things they have made 5.
    edited March 2017
    "Those go back at least three years if not four. Not a single one, to my recollection has been added."
    Then the fans are the ones supposedly wearing blindfolds xD
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    filmoret said:
    So the backers aren't smart enough to handle an unpolished planet to land on without an uproar?  
    Not really, I don't see the point of CIG purposely changing priorities just to release one planet within the game; when they are working on much more than that, especially release them with some degree of content generation already working.

I don't think it would fall that well within the backers either, taking one highlight feature of a major update out to release it on a minimalistic matter to people to test it. I know I wouldn't be that interested into just flying down into a PG Planet and walk around it, because it's the combination of stuff they are working with that will generate the gameplay on them.
    So you're saying that a game that has released unpolished pieces of crap to the public in the past and it being a pre-alpha game that they shouldn't release things to the backers to test and provide feedback?

That kinda defeats the purpose of having your backers test the game to get rid of bugs unless this is bizarro world. 
    Erillion said:
    At the moment yes. But will be changed soon. 

Have fun
    How much longer will you keep saying soon? 

Either CIG doesn't care that some people don't have unlimited internet or they are too incompetent to program a file patcher.
    edited March 2017
    Kefo said:
    So you're saying that a game that has released unpolished pieces of crap to the public in the past and it being a pre-alpha game that they shouldn't release things to the backers to test and provide feedback?
    Yes, when they are ready to be tested.

It ain't the backers that are asking PG to be released stand-alone from the 3.0 update. So idk why should they feel forced to re-prioritize their dev pipeline to do so. lol
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    Yes, when they are ready to be tested.

The release of PG is actually a big highlight of 3.0, release PG outside of it, for me is a bad marketing move (yeah crowdfunded companies do marketing boo them)...

Especially when it ain't the backers that are asking here PG to be released stand-alone from the game.
    If it's ready to be shown to journalists and if you believe the article that was published extolling how awesome PG is then it should be in a state to release to backers. 

I'm not saying release PG standalone but it must have been in a build of the game that journalists could play unless they were playing something created just for them in which case CIG can easily release that with a giant disclaimer saying "here's the demo we showed journalists and it might not reflect final product but at least you can see where we are"
    edited March 2017
    Kefo said:
    If it's ready to be shown to journalists and if you believe the article that was published extolling how awesome PG is then it should be in a state to release to backers. 
    SHOW, not Play. A controlled environment demo showcasing tech/features is a complete different story from a ready to release update. Especially one that wasn't hands-on by the media.

Thinking like that is is absolutely delusional. Devs are able to demo this sort of stuff way before it actually releases, and they do.
    https://www.engadget.com/2013/08/22/gamescom-2013-roberts-demos-star-citizens-hangar-module/

I fact checked myself. They actually did deliver something they showed at a convention. But I post that link so people can see what was said then in 2013 and the money they cited and where we are now. They even released that one time if my memory serves.

Funny how they did things on time and how they claimed they would back when they werent swimming in cash and jpeg sales....
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    rodarin said:
    https://www.engadget.com/2013/08/22/gamescom-2013-roberts-demos-star-citizens-hangar-module/

I fact checked myself. They actually did deliver something they showed at a convention. But I post that link so people can see what was said then in 2013 and the money they cited and where we are now. They even released that one time if my memory serves.

Funny how they did things on time and how they claimed they would back when they werent swimming in cash and jpeg sales....
    Yep, almost as if they had discovered that being in a constant state of development means more revenue without the costs of actually running a game.
    MaxBacon said:
    Kefo said:
    SHOW, not Play. A controlled environment demo showcasing tech/features is a complete different story from a ready to release update. Especially one that wasn't hands-on by the media.

Thinking like that is is absolutely delusional. Devs are able to demo this sort of stuff way before it actually releases, and they do.
    Why would it be delusional? This is supposedly the most open and transparent game dev ever! So if that's the case why is stuff being shown to journalists and not to backers who actually paid to have this created? 

Seema kind of odd to make the claim open and transparent but then hide things behind closed doors don't you think?
    edited March 2017
    Gotta love the conspiracies I think. It's some degree of Humor I suppose.

ofc the logical conclusion is that they are delaying things on purpose and pretend to develop the game to sell more ships. I think people are so delusional if they believe selling ships is really where the money-making machine is hehe

I would bet on this that when the main revenue stream is implemented within the game, and driven by it (that shouldn't be far from what was mentioned about it), how the narratives about ship sales are going to turn upside down ASAP.
This discussion has been closed.