Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzen Build

CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
edited March 2017 in Hardware
Here is my current build for Ryzen. Will post a picture when its done. The mobo has not hit PCpartpicker yet. Only one small hiccup. I planned to fit this into my inWin904 case, but the PSU was a little too long. Now I am switching to the Corsair mid-tower I have on hand. It will be the first computer I do a custom water cooling loop on. I plan to do hard-line water loop when I pickup a video card in the summer. I will also probably replace the case. It works, but I wanted a little more oomf in the looks.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant
Type Item Price
CPU AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor $399.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM ATX AM4 Motherboard $302.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum Chrome 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $479.99 @ Newegg
Video Card XFX Radeon R9 Fury X 4GB Video Card
Case Corsair Carbide 400C White ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic PRIME 650W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $142.98 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Full - USB 32/64-bit $202.98 @ Newegg
Monitor LG 27UD88-W 27.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor $700.98 @ Newegg
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser Mouse
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $2344.89
Mail-in rebates -$15.00
Total $2329.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-03-08 15:18 EST-0500
Post edited by Cleffy on

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    If this is your first custom water loop, either start out with the flexible stuff (tygon/nylon/etc), or buy a lot of extra hard line because that stuff takes a lot of practice and patience to get the bends to line up just right (unless you happen to also be a professional plumber or instrument fitter). It's also a royal pain in the rear to pull parts back out after it's installed (basically have to drain/refill every time), whereas with flexible stuff you can move it around while the loop is still hooked up.

Although once you get the hard line done, it looks awesome.

Other than that, custom loops are a ton of fun, I think.

Also, I've heard that PSU is godlike and will make you breakfast in bed.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Yea, I got flex lines for the first build. The next GPU I am getting will be water-cooled, so I was going to do hard lines then.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    edited March 2017
    Edit:  never mind.
    edited March 2017
    I went with this:

MSI X370 XPOWER GAMING Titanium

Unfortunately they have not shipped yet. AMD screwed the pooch on pre-orders of X370. Simply didn't give their OEM partners enough time to finalize them and release. They say they should become available middle of this week. Not really an issue since I work this week and will most likely build this weekend. Worth waiting for this over the B350 models because of the... color scheme.

Honestly, I have no idea what Ram it will support. I will be able to get a clear picture using the Ram I choose since I can simply downclock it if it won't post.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I'd say pretty cool rig you're building there. Personally I'm waiting a bit more to see what prices (and BIOS performance patches) will do over time and what Vega will be like at release before building a new PC.
  • ZebbakeiZebbakei Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Why not go with the cheaper 1700? Once OCed they perform identically.
    edited March 2017
    OCing comes down to luck. You could get lucky and OC to 4 ghz. Or you might not and get AMDs max turbo. With the 1700x. I know where the clock will be. It's a $50 difference. If I wanted to save money thinking I can get more performance out of a cheaper part, then I would use a different mobo, memory, ssd and PSU.
  • ZebbakeiZebbakei Member UncommonPosts: 38
    From the OC's I've seen between the two the difference could be none or at max 200mhz. 3.9 vs 4.1. I guess that could be worth 50$.
    edited March 2017
    The XFR on the X series is more or less an automatic overclock - people aren't getting much more out of them than XFR is getting them in the first place, at least currently. I can see paying an extra $50 to not have to fiddle with OC settings and have it just run warrantied.

An interesting note - AMD is binning Ryzen not based on their clock speeds, but based on their voltages. I guess that makes sense, the chips are pretty much all showing up in a pretty tight band right now. 
    It depends on what you want to do. If you render 3D models like I do, then this CPU is phenomenal for final renders. If your machine is just for gaming, than a Core i5 makes more sense. If you are waiting a few months than the Ryzen 5 and Ryzen 3 CPUs may make a more compelling case since they aren't squeezing as many cores into the same space.
    OG_Zorvan said:
    From all the reviews/comparisons I've been looking at, Ryzen really isn't much of a step forward. Is there a reason to go Ryzen instead of an X99 or z720 chipset? I'm looking at finally doing a new build in the next few months, so really trying to figure the pros/cons, especially in regards to future proofing my build.
    Suppose that Ryzen didn't exist.  Would you consider buying a 6-core or 8-core Broadwell-E over a quad core Kaby Lake if Broadwell-E had some price cuts?  If no, then you probably shouldn't get an 8-core Ryzen CPU, either, but the rumored 4-core or 6-core version might be interesting once it arrives.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Just curious.  Any reason you got Win 10 Pro over the regular?  Just seems like you could of saved yourself a few bucks there.  Unless of course you have a reason for the Pro version.  If that's the case, disregard.
    A lot of people are springing for Pro because it allows you to at least defer updates. I hear that ability is coming to Home with Creators Update now though.
  • 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    With pro you have access to group policy editor, to tinker and shut down parts of windows as u please :)
    I got the Windows Pro so I can get the usb dongle it comes with, easily transfer the license to a new mobo if needed, and I some of the benefits of Windows Pro.
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Get a 1080ti or base 1080. Both overpower Fury X
    Leon1e said:
    Get a 1080ti or base 1080. Both overpower Fury X
    They're also both more expensive than a Fury X.

I get the impression that he's reusing a Fury X from a previous build, not buying one new now, and plans to upgrade the video card later.
    In my OP I mentioned I will get a new GPU. I bought Fury X when it was priced the same as the GTX 1060. Easy buy for something I will be giving to someone else later. I am waiting for Vega or Volta. Not gonna waste my money on Pascal since at those prices I will be keeping the card for several years. No point getting a card that doesn't handle DX12 and Vulkan well under those criteria.
    edited March 2017
    I meant moving around the license compared to an OEM license. I got the pro version for the ability to edit some things with the OS, and I have gotten Pro versions since Windows 8. Just feels unnatural to get a home license now.
    photo RyzenBuild_zpspqitpvgxpng

Here is my current Ryzen build. Like a lot of others. Plenty of CPUs in stock with no motherboards. On top of this most of the motherboards have bios and to a degree hardware issues. Some are using cheaper parts for flagship titles. Some are not providing fine precision overclocking tools on overclock able boards, and some are ripping Intel code bugging the crap out of memory. So I think it's best to cancel my motherboard while I can and wait for them to fix the hodge podged motherboards.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Odd I was over at Microcenter yesterday and they had lots of motherboards, I counted 11 different kinds and they said more are coming.  Of course no idea which of them if not all of them have issues.
    edited March 2017
    And it's up and working. Surprised how smoothly it went considering the current issues with the platform. My liquid cooling job... was not the prettiest, but it's functional. Problem with installing parts planned for a different case. One bug they reported is that the temp monitor is about 20c over actual temps. So running pretty cool at 61C. Newegg shipped this within 3 days of order which was surprising considering Amazon's preliminary estimates were tomorrow when I pre-ordered with them.

Post edited by Cleffy on
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    Wow like looking an autopsy scary stuff . So cool man that blue hoses are water cooled ?

edited March 2017
    Time Spy 1.0 - 5317
    Graphics: 5108
    CPU: 6930

Fire Strike 1.1 - 13488
    Graphics: 15815
    Physics: 17098
    Combine 5573

Neither score was valid since I am using beta drivers.
    Interestingly in Firestrike, my CPU went to 3.89 Ghz, in Timespy it went to 3.49 Ghz. Good news is that the 1700x ranks 3rd on 3DMark.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Nice job. :proud:

A good computer don't have to be pretty, my own look like 25 year old junk in an old Chieftech tower but it is the inside that counts.