Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO is NOT that popular (in the West)

2»

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Somehow I feel some people seem to have a particularly bad axe to grind here popping up on every BDO thread like  that pesky relative that comes to every gathering to point at your unmarried daughters and act all concern and sad about their unmarried state. No point being rude to them either since they have skin as thick a rhinoceros's hide and a temperament to match.
    Chamber of Chains
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    skadad said:
    I wonder how full it would be without the afk fishing etc? I have got a few friends that never log out, but they never really play either :chuffed:
    Every MMO has people like that to some degree.
    Some use their games as glorified chat clients, and rarely actually do anything gameplay wise.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Damn. Same ol shit from MMORPG.com. The hate never stops. This thread isn't even needed but i guess it wouldn't be MMORPG.com if it there wasn't BS being posted almost daily. The game is popular. Damn the twitch streamers you can log into the game and see for yourself.

Its doing very well for a Korean mmo in the west. 
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited March 2017
    Recore said:

They just can not accept that this game is a success. 

If you feel the game is such a "success" then why do you feel the need to start a new forum thread here every so often to remind players about how "great" the game is? I don't feel the need to defend the games that I play and enjoy the way that you do. I want to understand your logic because what you're doing doesn't sense to me.
    Post edited by Allerleirauh on
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Most likely a troll post (OP has 1 post since December 2015, being this one...), but I'll bite...

Lets assume that OP is an English speaker, and like at least half of the English speakers of this site a US resident. THEN WHY ON EARTH WOULD HE ONLY SHOW KOREAN STREAMERS? No wonder that these Korean streamers have little to no viewers at the time he took this shot. There's a 9-12 hour difference between US and Korea so when he took the shot chances are that it was the middle of the night in Korea and then having 9 KOREAN streams with a total of a little under 1.000 (prolly Korean) viewers does not tell that BDO failed. I think it even tells the opposite that even in the middle of the night there are 1.000 crazy people still awake and want to watch a BDO stream.

Gotta agree though that EU servers are not that crowded anymore. Like @DMKano stated, the DK release did do some good during weekends, but it was not that overwhelmingly crowded.

Personally I've kinda given up on BDO because of the extreme grind after 56 and the treadmill of dailies that's happening. Even with the new Black Spirit quests, I still think the treadmill is just bad. BDO is sold as 'semi sandbox' and a daily treadmill should not be there. If I REALLY wanted a daily treadmill, I'd play a pure themepark...
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Lucky for me I am not one of the "They".
    Asian Grinders have been and always will be a No-No for me.

Glad you are enjoying it however. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Didn't Kakao recently release some figures for player numbers for NA/EU, roughly 1.8 million in each region. Which imo are some pretty good numbers
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Phry said:
    Didn't Kakao recently release some figures for player numbers for NA/EU, roughly 1.8 million in each region. Which imo are some pretty good numbers
    It was a first year infographic. Those numbers aren't current players. Those were most likely all registered accounts, including free trials and guest passes, over the course of a year.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited March 2017
    Aori said:
    Aori said:
    Aori said:
    Well new servers/channels only will ever show growth if your current channels / servers are already at max. If you release with too many channels / servers from the start you can have growth and it not show since you had already planned for that growth from the onset.

So saying the only way the game can be growing is when new channels are added is just tossing a blind eye to it.  Who is to say they haven't improved the number of players per channel allowed?  And as more landmass is added in you can hold more people per channel since its not like its just one server per channel. The channels themselfs have multiple machines within the channel. More landmass / more machines / better hardware = more people per channel without the need to add more channels.

And given the amount of landmass that has been added to BDO since release in the west. Its entirely possible that they maybe holding 3x people per channel more now then they did at release on the same channel. (People are more spread out over a much much larger area across more boxes)
    You're aware that BDO had server merges, right?
    The servers were always 1, you were just restricted to your cluster of channels. Game had 36 channels before the merge. Recently they added 2 more channels for new players, it flooded, they added 2 more. We now have a total of 40 channels and people are wanting more.
    Why did they call it a server merge if it wasn't a server merge, and actually there are more people playing?  Seriously dude.
    Easier to understand as a merge, which it was, it merged the playerbase. It was 1 server originally, they just put boundaries in place. There is a reason why a name on Eden couldn't be used on Orwen. 
    I'm curious why you think they lowered the price of the game by 75% if it just has this steady increase in interest since release?  Don't they like money?
    The same reason any other game lowers in price after months to a year? People have other priorities, money is a barrier. Lowering the barrier gets more people in and some addicted to spend money on the shop. 

I'm also a bit confused where you get the 75% number from. The starter package wasn't available at release, the travelers package which I got at its cheapest was 50% off during the holidays.
    Game access cost 40 bucks when it released.  You can get in for 10 now.

Ultimately I'm curious if you will be making a thread in a couple weeks when there's only a few crowded channels proclaiming that the game is dying.  I kind of doubt it.

I don't think it's dying, I don't think it will die in a couple weeks.  It will hobble along as it has for the past year thanks to its lowered price, free trials, and it doesn't need many players to make money thanks to having the most insidious monetization model in MMO history.

My point is that posting a screenshot of crowded channels right after a new class is released doesn't say anything.  If you truly think it does, than you should do it again in a couple weeks.
    Post edited by holdenhamlet on
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Aori said:
    Aori said:
    Aori said:
    Well new servers/channels only will ever show growth if your current channels / servers are already at max. If you release with too many channels / servers from the start you can have growth and it not show since you had already planned for that growth from the onset.

So saying the only way the game can be growing is when new channels are added is just tossing a blind eye to it.  Who is to say they haven't improved the number of players per channel allowed?  And as more landmass is added in you can hold more people per channel since its not like its just one server per channel. The channels themselfs have multiple machines within the channel. More landmass / more machines / better hardware = more people per channel without the need to add more channels.

And given the amount of landmass that has been added to BDO since release in the west. Its entirely possible that they maybe holding 3x people per channel more now then they did at release on the same channel. (People are more spread out over a much much larger area across more boxes)
    The servers were always 1, you were just restricted to your cluster of channels. Game had 36 channels before the merge. Recently they added 2 more channels for new players, it flooded, they added 2 more. We now have a total of 40 channels and people are wanting more.
    Why did they call it a server merge if it wasn't a server merge, and actually there are more people playing?  Seriously dude.
    Easier to understand as a merge, which it was, it merged the playerbase. It was 1 server originally, they just put boundaries in place. There is a reason why a name on Eden couldn't be used on Orwen. 
    I'm curious why you think they lowered the price of the game by 75% if it just has this steady increase in interest since release?  Don't they like money?
    The same reason any other game lowers in price after months to a year? People have other priorities, money is a barrier. Lowering the barrier gets more people in and some addicted to spend money on the shop. 

I'm also a bit confused where you get the 75% number from. The starter package wasn't available at release, the travelers package which I got at its cheapest was 50% off during the holidays.

Ultimately I'm curious if you will be making a thread in a couple weeks when there's only a few crowded channels proclaiming that the game is dying.  I kind of doubt it.

I don't think it's dying, I don't think it will die in a couple weeks.  It will hobble along as it has for the past year thanks to it's lowered price, free trials, and it doesn't need many players to make money thanks to having the most insidious monetization model in MMO history.

My point is that posting a screenshot of crowded channels right after a new class is released doesn't say anything.  If you truly think it does, than you should do it again in a couple weeks.
    That 10 dollar price tag is for the very very very basic access and helps the game grow so makes sense. If people want more they will potentially upgrade their packs etc.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited March 2017
    Recore said:

I don't feel the need to defend the games that I play and enjoy the way that you do. I want to understand your logic because when you're doing doesn't sense to me.

It is not for you to understand.

Do not click on those threads.  ;)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Forgrimm said:
    Phry said:
    It was a first year infographic. Those numbers aren't current players. Those were most likely all registered accounts, including free trials and guest passes, over the course of a year.
    Whether that includes free trials and guest passes is speculative at best, for the moment i would give them the benefit of the doubt in that it only includes those who actually bought the game, its not such an unrealistic number that i would be inclined to think otherwise. :o
    Phry said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Phry said:
    Whether that includes free trials and guest passes is speculative at best, for the moment i would give them the benefit of the doubt in that it only includes those who actually bought the game, its not such an unrealistic number that i would be inclined to think otherwise. :o
    It's actually speculative to think that those numbers represent accounts at all. When the same type of infographic was released for the KR version, the numbers in that spot on the graphic represented characters created, not accounts. The article that ran on Massively indicated that the 3.4 million total for NA/EU is in fact characters created: http://massivelyop.com/2017/03/03/you-drank-more-than-364m-beers-in-black-desert-during-its-first-year-in-the-west/

So to first speculate that the 1.8 million figure is for accounts, not characters, then to further speculate that it only includes accounts that purchased the game, is a pretty big leap. There's a good chance that the number represents characters, not accounts, which makes the total even less impressive.
  • RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Everywhere I go I run into people, even the most remote parts of the ocean.

What I don't get is the point the OP is trying to make? I should only play a game if it's the most popular? guess I should go eat the crap at McDonalds now too, because, you know, it's the most popular.

What I don't get is the point the OP is trying to make? I should only play a game if it's the most popular? guess I should go eat the crap at McDonalds now too, because, you know, it's the most popular.
    I'm pretty sure that the thread was made as a counter to this one http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/461488/black-desert-online-still-one-of-the-most-popular-mmorpgs/p1
  • RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Forgrimm said:

I'm pretty sure that the thread was made as a counter to this one http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/461488/black-desert-online-still-one-of-the-most-popular-mmorpgs/p1
    to be fair I don't see the point in that one either ;)
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited March 2017
    Recore said:
    Recore said:

I don't feel the need to defend the games that I play and enjoy the way that you do. I want to understand your logic because what you're doing doesn't sense to me.

It is not for you to understand.

Do not click on those threads.  ;)

Touché, so is BDO's community bad as well? Seems like it. 
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Who cares?

MMO's take time to mature, and BDO is still fresh on that aspect, a lot of preaching about how the game was dead and such was done, none of it equalled to its reality though.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Im in the West , i dont play ...

This has been a Public Service Announcement ...

You will now be returned to your normally scheduled Trolling
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Aori said:

Nothing wrong with showing the game is doing well. It piques some peoples interest if the game is doing good.

Personally, an MMO where you don't run into people isn't an MMO. BDO has given me a real MMO experience I haven't had in awhile. So it is nice though frustrating sometimes.
    Now imagine you could meaningfully interact with the people you see, via trade or group content.  That would be like a really real MMO.

Not that it matters since 90% of the people you see in BDO are afk.
  • Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Aori said:

Nothing wrong with showing the game is doing well. It piques some peoples interest if the game is doing good.

Personally, an MMO where you don't run into people isn't an MMO. BDO has given me a real MMO experience I haven't had in awhile. So it is nice though frustrating sometimes.
    Now imagine you could meaningfully interact with the people you see, via trade or group content.  That would be like a really real MMO.

Not that it matters since 90% of the people you see in BDO are afk.

Now imagine if you had played the game within the last year ...and actually knew what you were commenting on , just think how much more valid your posts would be?

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Best MMO in a loooooong time. Take that for what its worth.
  • thomaslevithomaslevi Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Aori said:
    Aori said:
    Aori said:

I don't think it's dying, I don't think it will die in a couple weeks.  It will hobble along as it has for the past year thanks to its lowered price, free trials, and it doesn't need many players to make money thanks to having the most insidious monetization model in MMO history.

"most insidious monetization model in MMO history."

Lol bro you're ignorant, this game barely registers on that list.   Archeage? Hell even Hearthstone costs more money than BDO to be competitive.  

10$ for the game, 35$ for pets, 13$ a month and you're good... this game is about luck, time, and knowledge and not about money.
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280

"most insidious monetization model in MMO history."

Lol bro you're ignorant, this game barely registers on that list.   Archeage? Hell even Hearthstone costs more money than BDO to be competitive.  

10$ for the game, 35$ for pets, 13$ a month and you're good... this game is about luck, time, and knowledge and not about money.

Amen. Tried to play Archeage, where technically you can play for free and get patron with ingame cash, but you can't sell on the market without patron, so actually getting that ingame money is extremely iffy. Can't even get mats for gear without it 'cause you need your own land. In BDO I took about a 3 month break due to RL, and when I came back all my stuff was still there, not demolished because I didn't log in to pay rent. I've never even bought a value pack because they keep giving me free ones.

A guy at work came at me with the P2W thing, and I just chuckled. Another friend who heard what he said and has never played told him he didn't know what he was talking about. This game has given me 1 first and a second. My first main melee toon, and I'm actually wealthy enough to gear her without going through the RNGods for my gear. Second game ever I've had that kind of ingame cash, first being SWG.