Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dragon's Dogma Online: First impressions

YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
Its been out in Japan for a while now, but Lazy Peon finally gave it a spin:

Capcom, for the love of god bring this game to the West!

Comments

• DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    You can still play these types of games, can you not? I know you can play MHO and PSO2. i think you can set this one up too.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    "SO" want to play this game. Maybe I'll try again to get the Japanese version working. :(
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ma4rksma4rks Member UncommonPosts: 1
    @DabOnThem i think u are right
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Dragon's dogma was good but not great and it felt like it would have been much better if you had players instead of npc's in your party. I don't understand why capcom never released the online version in the west given that the singleplayer game was quite popular when it got here.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    DabOnThem said:
    You can still play these types of games, can you not? I know you can play MHO and PSO2. i think you can set this one up too.
    Yeah, with vpn you can play them but I notice a lot more lag when I use vpn and most people in the West can't read/speak Japanese which makes it difficult, especially when playing with other people is perhaps one of the main reasons to play mmos in the first place.

When I tried to play it last year I had troubles connecting even with a vpn, I can't remember what the issue was specifically though.

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    tl:dr
    I like this game.
    Dragon's Dogma came first and was incomplete.
    Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen is the expansion plus base game works good.
    Dragon's Dogma Online is the last in the series and it is a full mmorpg but Japan is hogging it to themselves.

___

DDDA had the best character creation.  Annoying voice actor (dude merchant from skyrim) but gawd that game was fun.  I spent forever playing the base game until I had enough courage to do Bitterblack Isle (yeah those jack-in-box worms unnerved me).  But then I would never leave BI.  Isolated underground in the land of the dead forever, always improving your armor because the dead are so worried about how gorgeous you are.  To me DDDA is like the itch scratched for those of us who want a game that looks and feels like Dark Souls but without f*ing being sent back to the beginning loosing all progress when you die!  F*ing Dark Souls.  Btw DDDA is a partial mmo like Dark Souls.  You play it like a single player but there are ways to play with others in a restrictive criteria manner.

Dragon's Dogma was the first release but don't get it because it was not really complete.  Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen was the expansion added plus base game.  That really was more like the game as it should have been released in the first place.  Dragon's Dogma Online tho is a follow up to DDDA where they stopped with the half-mmo and went full out mmorpg.

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Shaigh said:
    Dragon's dogma was good but not great 
    I can't believe you said that.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Is that an official English translation or a mod?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    YashaX said:
    Its been out in Japan for a while now, but Lazy Peon finally gave it a spin:

Capcom, for the love of god bring this game to the West!
    I fear Dragon's Dogma Online (can't name it DDO :D ) will suffer the same fate as PSO2. I hope I'm wrong though...
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    filmoret said:
    Shaigh said:
    I can't believe you said that.
    Combat didn't blow me away, it doesn't have the crisp controls of a much older capcom game like devil may cry 4 which I played a few months before Dragon's Dogma or dark souls 3 which was the game I played right after. I don't even remember any boss fights in the game and the story was forgettable.

I had fun playing the game but its not a game I would put in a top 5 list of games I played last year.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Sorry to keep harping on this game but is DCUO the only recent MMO without body-sliders? My goodness. The beard options have me sold.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Iselin said:
    There's a fan translation that's apparently pretty good and kept up to date.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Leiloni said:
    Iselin said:
    Too bad. If they had done a translation themselves I would have some hope that they were at least thinking about exporting it.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Iselin said:
    Leiloni said:
    Iselin said:
    Too bad. If they had done a translation themselves I would have some hope that they were at least thinking about exporting it.
    Well, they are considering it but who knows it it will come to fruition. The game's director said that once they had "a solid foothold" they would bring it overseas. But again, we'll see.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Don't give up hope quickly.  I had to wait five years for them to bring Uncharted Waters Online to the west, but they eventually did.  And it was worth the wait.
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited March 2017
    Shaigh said:
    Blasphemy! 1000 lashes for that vile comment ;)
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited March 2017
    I have to agree with the others, I so want this game to release here! 

Also forgettable bosses is pretty laughable! This game has one of the best combat style (Imo), you can even grab bosses/enemies in real time, no quick time event bullshit!

The only boss I can remember that was pretty lame, is the reaper (Largely due to the npc teammates being really dumb).

• NPCPakNPCPak Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I think we all need to move countries... That game is beautiful in it's mechanics and game play department.
    (NPCPak) Nobukon
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    I've come to the conclusion that Capcom would rather stay comfortably inside their Japanese bubble than make additional money in foreign markets. 
  • sausagemixsausagemix Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I loved the combat in DD:DA. It does have a Japanese kineticness to it but ultimately gives you tons of options of moves to fight the way you want to. I really wish more MMORPG devs would take notes from it. The game does alot of open world fantasy concepts really well the only drawbacks being the poor story/plotting.
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    What I like about it is they have done this action combat style (does it have a name?) without plastering the screen in effects and bright colors - very refreshing.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited March 2017
    Sovrath said:

Well, they are considering it but who knows it it will come to fruition. The game's director said that once they had "a solid foothold" they would bring it overseas. But again, we'll see.
    They also said at one point a big factor was how popular/profitable DD:DA was in the states (especially on PC). I don't know if they hit that mark or not. The game is still considered by many as one of those under the radar gems. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Just give us MHO and DDO. Seriously. It's bad enough I've had to watch Japan enjoy MH Frontier for so many years.

So tired of Capcom acting like there's no fanbase for these games outside of Japan. I have no doubt in my mind ether of these games would do well here.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    edited March 2017
    DMKano said:
    Aori said:
    Japanese developers do not like bringing their content to the west, it is rather frustrating. I think a lot of it is that they're set in their ways.

It is only until just recently that they've really started porting games to PC and to the west. Also goes for Visual Novel translations, it has taken forever for that to happen, thank goodness for Sekai Project on that front. It also goes for other media like manga and anime localizations, quite a few digital storefronts now with fast and growing catalog of content that wasn't around just 5 years ago.

Though Capcom not trying their hand at it in the west kind of does surprise me. PSO2 not coming to the west didn't surprise me at all because well, Sega. 

PSO2 was pitched to a bunch of Western MMO publishers, none of them wanted it.

I played it, and IMO the game would do nothing in the west, it's really dated and just not fun to play.

So in this case - PSO2 not coming to the west is the right call
    As someone who has been playing PSO2 on the Japanese servers for over 2 years I have to agree that it wouldn't do well in the west but dated and just not fun to play I have to disagree with. The game gets  bi-weekly content updates which is unheard of compared to most MMOs. It uses an action combat system which still isnt as common place as it should be. In terms of content updates and character customization options no other MMO compares BUT those features wouldn't be the same as a global or western server would be. Sega of Japan puts a lot of work into the game even with monthly live broadcasts over niconico and youtube to promote its upcoming content. So, dated and not fun is clearly a biased opinion. 

Speaking of which, as I post this they are doing a live stream on niconico and youtube to promote the new PvP content added. 
  • xelrahxelrah Member UncommonPosts: 40
    edited March 2017
    Distopia said:
    Sovrath said:

They also said at one point a big factor was how popular/profitable DD:DA was in the states (especially on PC). I don't know if they hit that mark or not. The game is still considered by many as one of those under the radar gems. 

http://steamspy.com/app/367500
    For a port released years after original release and very limited marketing it sold well imo. What they expected from it is another story.
    However I am hopeful for something Dogma related in future. Hideaki Itsuno tweeted that he will announce his new game this year and I think there is glimmer of hope that it is indeed DD related after they said that PC version was their fastest selling PC release to date (afaik RE7 broke the record since that statement). And yet I think it could sell more, I spent 300 damn hours in it and plan to go back to it at some point again. For such unpolished gem of a game it is strange to say it but I would be happy if potential sequel would be at least as enjoyable as DDDA.

As for Online - I played it for some time (till I could bear with all the difficulties like language barrier/ping/free vpn instability) and I will continue to preach that this needs to be released in west because we have 0 games that come close enough in terms of combat design. Whereas it lacks PvP it easily makes up for it with amazing  combat. Season 2 also showed that they are working out initial issues and some bad design decisions that they made originally. Keep in mind that this team is rather new to online games and game itself is based off single player game. Amount of updates they release on rather regular basis makes me think that it also does pretty fine these days in term of revenue and player base in Japan. Probably the only questionable thing for me about game is gacha stuff, but since there's no PvP it is far less relevant anyway. Oh and crafting could be faster than it is, but it could be worse still. Alas I have a feeling that we won't see western release unless something unusual will happen at capcom.