Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nearly 3-Minutes of Alpha Game Play Goodness - Ashes of Creation - MMORPG.com

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Leiloni said:

Nanfoodle said:

First time anything made me want to look into this game. Only draw back from me is the twitch combat. Wish it was trinity.
    It is trinity but this is pre-alpha so clearly not all classes are done yet. Also what about that was twitch combat? It looks right now like regular tab target unfortunately. It'd like to see some changes but nothing about that was out of the ordinary.

I asked in a few threads the combat style and everyone has said action twitch combat.
  • ThorrikThorrik Member UncommonPosts: 11

It looks great. Probably won't have healers though. In that case I'll likely pass.

Very impressive for pre-alpha.

Confirmed classes atm : – Fighter – Rogue – Ranger – Bard – Cleric – Mage – Tank – Summoner .
    You'll choose a base class at start of the game and later on choose a subclass. Your sub you can change, while your base class is locked.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Xatsh said:
    I will say this. Video put the game on my watch list.

Gona have to look at the site and dig up some info on the design and game mechanics

Not interested in shallow ffxiv/wow style theme parks anymore. If this game is more then that and they have high tier graphics I will try it.

And game needs to be p2p... no more of this garbage ftp stuff which is killing off this whole genre.
    and......i second that !!

I have NEVER and will continue till i die never endorse cash shop gaming.I want to know that every effort a developer is putting into the game is going into the game and not the cash shop.

Imo if you do not have the confidence in your game,then yeah f2p cash shop is your answer but it also tells me flat out that you don't have any confidence in your game,therefore i do not either.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JoreelJoreel Member UncommonPosts: 148
    For a Pre-Alpha it looks really great....
  • goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    I like the fact that the spell effects dont look like nuclear explosions.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Nanfoodle said:

Leiloni said:

Nanfoodle said:

First time anything made me want to look into this game. Only draw back from me is the twitch combat. Wish it was trinity.
    It is trinity but this is pre-alpha so clearly not all classes are done yet. Also what about that was twitch combat? It looks right now like regular tab target unfortunately. It'd like to see some changes but nothing about that was out of the ordinary.

I asked in a few threads the combat style and everyone has said action twitch combat.
    I wish but no. Tab target right now with movement and dodging abilities. They've said some confusing things on the subject though saying they want some sort of hybrid but not specifically what would change, so I'm hopeful we get more action combat targeting methods and skill design.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Sovrath said:
    I like how magic is not just for attacks. That they have a light spell, a sort of "jump/travel" spell is intriguing. The world looks good and the avatars seem fine. the monsters look ridiculous but I suppose that's the art style they are going for.

The monster designs say to me their target market is 12 years old.
    edited February 2017
    rodier said:
    This game looks nice - but everything you seen in video is bought. Yes, they made nothing in that video..yes maybe 1 hour work of putting assets on place so they can make run-trought video.. but otherwise nothing. All you can see is buyable basic things for UE.

This game promise Castle Sieges? There is only one game that in fact did CS. Lineage 2. I know many games that promised working CS, but none of them delivered.
    Guild Wars 2?
    TESO ? all shitty things.. no like old good L2.
    Not true actually. They've been working on this game for a while and have a working pre-alpha. They've released several videos of it and had a sneak peek live stream last week as well where they walked around. You can also see a ton of original art, screenshots, and video on their website, instagram, etc. as they've worked on it. This isn't something they just threw together for PR. It's been quietly in development for over a year so they actually had a real game to show when they announced it.

Also have to disagree on the Castle Siege comment. Plenty of games have done it - Aion's were a lot of fun, GW2 and ESO currently do it, and I know other games I haven't played have done it well also.
  • coolster50coolster50 Member UncommonPosts: 45

rodier said:

This game looks nice - but everything you seen in video is bought. Yes, they made nothing in that video..yes maybe 1 hour work of putting assets on place so they can make run-trought video.. but otherwise nothing. All you can see is buyable basic things for UE.

Do you have substantial proof to back up that claim?
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I had some Skyforge vibes too but it looks good the game.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScottB2JScottB2J Member UncommonPosts: 26
    edited February 2017
    @coolster50 no he can't back it up cause he pulled it from his a€€

Their design is unique, and their founder constantly shares assets they create in discord, with the community. 
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Distopia said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    ScottB2J said:
    @Gdemami No. from the developers. 

Awwww, famous last words of the pre-release MMO. Lastest casualty Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade. I believe they were fairly adamant that they'd never go F2P and the community seemed pretty assured that it wouldn't either. Voila!!!! 

Huh?, from pretty early on they talked about being able to play as Orc boys for free. 

I had no idea. All I remember were some old articles, thanks for the correction.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited February 2017
    coolster50 said:
    Building a client(game world) is expensive and time consuming but not all that technically difficult when you have an already made asset ready engine.

There is plethora of videos of people playing with engine kits, for reference a student project sample:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEkl-h3e6Us

There are incredible tools for world building:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxfZ3k8TFw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clakekAHQx0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpL0np7LLm4  

It is really nothing impressive, asset building tools are very accessible these days - you can buy engine, textures, models, all sort of assets and kits, technologies. However to turn those into a functioning "massively" online game is entirely different story.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    For everything else to be so pretty those animations are ugly as sin.
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    edited February 2017
    Gdemami said:
    coolster50 said:
    Building a client(game world) is expensive and time consuming but not all that technically difficult when you have an already made asset ready engine.

There is plethora of videos of people playing with engine kits, for reference a student project sample:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEkl-h3e6Us

There are incredible tools for world building:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMxfZ3k8TFw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clakekAHQx0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpL0np7LLm4  

It is really nothing impressive, asset building tools are very accessible these days - you can buy engine, textures, models, all sort of assets and kits, technologies. However to turn those into a functioning "massively" online game is entirely different story.

Thank you for making this point. 

Beautiful gameplay doesn't always translate to massive server capacity (look at D&L). AFAIK, the more beautiful the graphics are, less the server can handle player numbers in one instance. No matter how skilled their programmers are, there is always a trade off between graphics and server capacity.

What you just saw in the video was ONE character doing some combat moves. I suggest to hold our breath until we see the devs demo'ed their game when they crowded one certain area with so many characters (I dunno, maybe 50 - 100 players in one area) and see how graphics-server capability trade off will translate into the real world test.

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    0:46 . . man I hate that. Otherwise looks good.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Video looks great! I just hope with a name like Ashes of Creation that it has some true sandbox features.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Where would you like my money placed?
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Already looks better than some indie/crowdfunded games that have been in development for years!
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    YashaX said:
    Already looks better than some indie/crowdfunded games that have been in development for years!
    Yes but this is VERY little so far and i think this is going to be asking for our money to build it,like every other developer the last 5 years.
    I hope not,i hope this is finally one legit developer and i hope the game ends up as good as it looks so far,yikes that is a lot of hoping.

Time has taught me to not get too excited too early,bad news is right around the corner.
    Like will people feel the same if all of a sudden in one week we get a kickstarter and special perks for high paying spenders etc etc?Again,let's hope not,i am praying this is legit.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    YashaX said:
    Yes but this is VERY little so far and i think this is going to be asking for our money to build it,like every other developer the last 5 years.
    I hope not,i hope this is finally one legit developer and i hope the game ends up as good as it looks so far,yikes that is a lot of hoping.

Time has taught me to not get too excited too early,bad news is right around the corner.
    Like will people feel the same if all of a sudden in one week we get a kickstarter and special perks for high paying spenders etc etc?Again,let's hope not,i am praying this is legit.
    There's a ton of info on this game out there. No need to sit around wondering what it's going to be like when you can just visit their website to read, visit the forums, join their Discord. 
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Wizardry said:
    YashaX said:

Yeah, its still probably another 4 or 5 years off (assuming it gets to release) so not holding my breath. But have to give credit where credit is due- it really does look nice and already seems to blow other crowdfunded-type mmos I have seen out of the water. 

What I have read about their monetization scheme seems a bit dodgy, but its still early days - got to give them the benefit of the doubt. It would be great though if they actually did the whole thing properly: business plan, loans, etc instead of another crowdfunding debacle. 
    YashaX said:
    Wizardry said:
    YashaX said:

Yeah, its still probably another 4 or 5 years off (assuming it gets to release) so not holding my breath. But have to give credit where credit is due- it really does look nice and already seems to blow other crowdfunded-type mmos I have seen out of the water. 

What I have read about their monetization scheme seems a bit dodgy, but its still early days - got to give them the benefit of the doubt. It would be great though if they actually did the whole thing properly: business plan, loans, etc instead of another crowdfunding debacle. 
    The Founder/Creative Director says more about their funding here if you're curious:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/461165/so-the-story-begins/p3
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    I don't know why game devs are so obsessed with motion blur nowadays. I F'ing hate it and it's the first option I turn off when I play a game. It makes it look like you downgraded your monitor to a cheap LCD with terrible response times.

Other than that, I can't wait till they start letting people in to test it.
  • sdeleon515sdeleon515 Member UncommonPosts: 151

In order to "win" in the game, you have to play it.

In order to play the game, you have to pay for it.

Therefore, the game is "P2W".

:p

But you're assuming there is something to actually "win". Most cash shops have players paying to "win" by having an advantage over others in PvP. They are paying for that advantage to win. If you're doing a subscription based, you're paying to do anything and that includes "not winning". Thus you're in the "pay to do whatever fits you" even if its crafting which doesn't really lead to the glory of winning anything at all.