Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nearly 3-Minutes of Alpha Game Play Goodness - Ashes of Creation - MMORPG.com

Comments

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,676

Daikuru said:

Nasa said:

ScottB2J said:

Subscription yes please. Get us out of the P2W garbage that F2P has created. 

Subscription=P2W. The game will be designed to have lots of grind so you stay and pay longer to progress. If you don't pay you dont progress and don't win.

Uhm...what?

lol, yes. This is the equivalent of saying that if you don't play the game you won't progress in it.
    Which is in fact just about the opposite of what ptw ftp games promote.

In those you can buy your: high level gear/ ability boosting pets / stat boosting character race / ability boosting mounts / equipment and weapon enhancements / etc etc - all without any playing of your character at all.

Now subscription games do have cash shops - done right, as in FFXIV, they contain cosmetic fluff / fancy mounts etc that have no effect at all on your character's stats or abilities.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    No complaint about the gameplay, but what about server capacity? Can it truly be classified as "an MMO?"
    What kind of question is that? Of course it's an MMO with standard server capacity. 
    Nanfoodle said:
    First time anything made me want to look into this game. Only draw back from me is the twitch combat. Wish it was trinity.
    It is trinity but this is pre-alpha so clearly not all classes are done yet. Also what about that was twitch combat? It looks right now like regular tab target unfortunately. It'd like to see some changes but nothing about that was out of the ordinary.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Leiloni said:
    What kind of question is that? Of course it's an MMO with standard server capacity. 
    ...and that you figured out based on those couple UE4 demos?
  • ScottB2JScottB2J Member UncommonPosts: 26
    @Gdemami No. from the developers. 
    edited February 2017
    Shaigh said:
    I do like the art-style but what they show makes me think more of a dungeon crawler than an MMORPG.
    What about the video makes you think that? They run around an open world, find a dungeon entrance, and then show you a boss fight. I don't see anything instanced or dungeon crawler about that, but it's also a combat video so the idea is to show them fighting stuff.

A cursory glance at their website tells you a vast amount of information about the game, along with on their forums and Discord. None of this is hard to find. It's an open world game with more sandboxy elements (similar to how BDO is). It will have dungeons but they won't be a central focus like themepark games.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Seems like a rip off from Everquest Next. Also no server system can handle so many details with sustainable price. Im pretty sure the graphics will downgrade and they make a 4man quest hub MMO (wich isnt a mmo)
  • JakeSimJakeSim Member RarePosts: 883
    Isn't this video kind of old? swore i've seen it a few weeks ago.
    Please come check out my stream. All the love is appreciated! 

TWITCH: @JakeSimTV
  • tadams2tonetadams2tone Member UncommonPosts: 59
    It looks great. Probably won't have healers though. In that case I'll likely pass.

Very impressive for pre-alpha.
    JakeSim said:
    Isn't this video kind of old? swore i've seen it a few weeks ago.
    No they made a different video a few weeks ago. This is a new one they made last week. Steven Sharif has been talking about it in Discord a lot.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    ScottB2J said:
    Considering there is no game yet, it is easy to throw words around... Your first MMO in development?
    It looks great. Probably won't have healers though. In that case I'll likely pass.

Very impressive for pre-alpha.
    https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/answered-questions-on-discord-qa-extended-somewhat/

Q: What are you guys currently planning for progression?
    A: Our player class advancement follows both a vertical progression in the traditional leveling sense, as well as a horizontal skill customization platform. When players start the game, they will be able to choose from 8 separate Archetypes. These archetypes represent the staple fantasy classes; Fighter, Tank, Rogue, Ranger, Mage, Summoner, Cleric, Bard. As the player progresses vertically with their primary class, they will have the opportunity to add a second class. This second class will be chosen again from the 8 archetypes, and will follow more of a horizontal progression. The second class will allow the player to augment their primary skills from their main class, with effects from their secondary class. For example; A fighter has a skill called “Rush”, that allows him to rush towards a target and upon reaching the target, deals x damage with a chance to knock the target down. If that fighter were to choose Mage as his secondary archetype (Spellsword), he would gain access to certain augments that he could apply to his primary skill tree. Let’s use his Rush skill as an example; As a Spellsword, he could choose to apply a teleportation augment to the Rush skill, which would allow the skill to now teleport you to the target, eliminating the charge time on the skill. Each skill in the primary tree will have several augment options from your secondary tree. The secondary skill augment tree will follow a horizontal progression that will be expanded upon further in a developer’s blog.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Looking good as always
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Great looking video. I was not interested in this before but now it has made my 'radar' list.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    ScottB2J said:

Awwww, famous last words of the pre-release MMO. Lastest casualty Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade. I believe they were fairly adamant that they'd never go F2P and the community seemed pretty assured that it wouldn't either. Voila!!!! 

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with it as an option, but if developers are adamant about it NOT going F2P I'd much rather see them develop a game FOR a smaller crowd and not for the masses. AAA is for the masses. Is this? Meh, tough to say, but graphics fidelity seems good, and it's made in America so you'd have to assume production costs aren't low. We'll wait and see what the production budget is and once that's released (if it ever is) we will be able to tell almost immediately if it will be F2P. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    CrazKanuk said:
    ScottB2J said:

Awwww, famous last words of the pre-release MMO. Lastest casualty Warhammer 40K: Eternal Crusade. I believe they were fairly adamant that they'd never go F2P and the community seemed pretty assured that it wouldn't either. Voila!!!! 

Huh?, from pretty early on they talked about being able to play as Orc boys for free. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

exile01 said:

Seems like a rip off from Everquest Next. Also no server system can handle so many details with sustainable price. Im pretty sure the graphics will downgrade and they make a 4man quest hub MMO (wich isnt a mmo)

How does this seem like a rip off of EQ Next? It doesn't have voxels, and I don't see Simba anywhere...
    --------------------------------------------
    edited February 2017
    CrazKanuk said:
    ScottB2J said:

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with it as an option, but if developers are adamant about it NOT going F2P I'd much rather see them develop a game FOR a smaller crowd and not for the masses. AAA is for the masses. Is this? Meh, tough to say, but graphics fidelity seems good, and it's made in America so you'd have to assume production costs aren't low. We'll wait and see what the production budget is and once that's released (if it ever is) we will be able to tell almost immediately if it will be F2P. 
    The question was in regards to server capacity, not business model. Several people are suggesting it's going to be a lobby based dungeon grinder with is so far from the truth it's not even worth discussing. This is how fake news happens people. Let's not make up rumors that aren't true. If you dislike the game, please disagree with what's actually been said. Like for example I personally hope they change the targeting because I'm not a tab targeting fan.
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited February 2017
    Great gameplay video, I like the environment in the town, the dog and horses, and the attention put on all the little details.
    Post edited by francis_baud on
    JamesGoblin
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520

exile01 said:

What is Everquest Next? Is that an upcoming MMO in development? /joke

UE4 does downgrade beautifully though. Check out Epic's MOBA Paragon if you want to see UE4 in a 5v5 relatively fast paced multiplayer environment.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Looking damn good for pre-alpha. Lots of hurdles on the way to release but making it look attractive right from the start is smart.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Nanfoodle said:

ScottB2J said:

Subscription yes please. Get us out of the P2W garbage that F2P has created. 

Thats a good question, I love the stand FF and Pantheon have taken. Sub with no cash shop. What will Ashes stand be?

But FFXIV does have a cash shop...a cash shop they update monthly.
  • BorlucBorluc Member UncommonPosts: 255
    Was she invincible? Idk, for a sandbox game, it looked very gw2ish. Also with spells like that and rapid regen mana, who will want to play a warrior?

Still, it is very impressive for alpha.
  • rodierrodier Member UncommonPosts: 38
    How can shitty and absolutely average game have 8.x scoring? When I come back to mmorpg.com I expected old experienced players.. that know many mmos, played lots of them.. and get experienced by living in failures as age of conan.. vanguard .. DnL and many others.

This game looks nice - but everything you seen in video is bought. Yes, they made nothing in that video..yes maybe 1 hour work of putting assets on place so they can make run-trought video.. but otherwise nothing. All you can see is buyable basic things for UE.

This game promise Castle Sieges? There is only one game that in fact did CS. Lineage 2. I know many games that promised working CS, but none of them delivered.
    Guild Wars 2?
    TESO ? all shitty things.. no like old good L2.

Rodier, icq 10905813

• XatshXatsh Member RarePosts: 451
    I will say this. Video put the game on my watch list.

Gona have to look at the site and dig up some info on the design and game mechanics

Not interested in shallow ffxiv/wow style theme parks anymore. If this game is more then that and they have high tier graphics I will try it.

And game needs to be p2p... no more of this garbage ftp stuff which is killing off this whole genre.