Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zelda: Breath of the Wild gets first review in EDGE!

2»

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    jmalmin said:
    I have been watching streams of this game. Not sure how this game could get a 10 out of 10 when there are areas where you have to run forever to encounter mobs or anything. the game is to much like a cartoon. The combat does not look that great. Sad to say, but  I would rather play the first Zelda game then this one. 
    Zelda is such a famous franchise that I think its fans give it 10/10 before they even receive their copy
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Love my Switch, and Breath of the Wild is simply amazing. LOVE IT!
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    10 fps ftw - Breath of frame drops
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    10 fps ftw - Breath of frame drops
    If that's accurate then I'd say these reviews are a little sugar coated.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    edited March 2017
    Dunno about it, i don't plan on buying it and/or a Switch, and i never really got into Zelda anyways, but i've read reviews that had a single plus point like "people familar with the previous entries will feel at home" and minus points like "price tag, short, crashed repeatedely" that still got 90%+, so 98% when it's only some framerate issues is actually harsh..

User score on metacritic is already "only" 7.9, with over 2000 ratings. And if you argue that someone has a score to settle with Nintendo and keeps voting 1/10 or something, eh, there are just as many blind fanboys (for any given developer, franchise or whatever) that instantly hit 10/10, so it's okay.

If you find your own "score" to (almost) always be in line with some magazine or even a single reviewer, thats good i guess, but for me and most people i know, this is rarely the case, so i prefer averaged out ratings over a huge group of people, which at least means that it's not the main characters nose which decides whether it's 65 or 98 out of 100, but actual issues that *do* happen to a appreciable amount of people etc.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Anireth said:
    Dunno about it, i don't plan on buying it and/or a Switch, and i never really got into Zelda anyways, but i've read reviews that had a single plus point like "people familar with the previous entries will feel at home" and minus points like "price tag, short, crashed repeatedely" that still got 90%+, so 98% when it's only some framerate issues is actually harsh..

User score on metacritic is already "only" 7.9, with over 2000 ratings. And if you argue that someone has a score to settle with Nintendo and keeps voting 1/10 or something, eh, there are just as many blind fanboys (for any given developer, franchise or whatever) that instantly hit 10/10, so it's okay.

If you find your own "score" to (almost) always be in line with some magazine or even a single reviewer, thats good i guess, but for me and most people i know, this is rarely the case, so i prefer averaged out ratings over a huge group of people, which at least means that it's not the main characters nose which decides whether it's 65 or 98 out of 100, but actual issues that *do* happen to a appreciable amount of people etc.

I tend to just judge it by ratio of the negatives against the positives.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Friend of mine got the Switch. He stood in line at midnight to get it. He also got the game and has been playing it all day because he took the day off from work.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Spoiler: Santa Clause is Zelda's father

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    This is also released for Wii U, for all 10 of us that bought one of those. So don't necessarily need to drop 300+ on a Switch to play this, you could pick up a used WiiU at Gamestop for like $20 (or maybe they pay you to take them now, not sure  \s), and still play this game.

I'm debating. I'm hearing a lot of really good things about it, as in one of the best games Nintendo has put out period. But if I do get it, it will probably be on my Wii U, as Switch doesn't really have anything else that really looks all that interesting just yet.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited March 2017
    Also, I don't have first-hand knowledge of this, but I read in one review:

Switch Framerate is more stable while handheld - it has many more framerate issues while docked to your TV.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Can I play Wii games on the WiiU?
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Zelda is on WiiU
    Chamber of Chains
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Ridelynn said:
    This is also released for Wii U, for all 10 of us that bought one of those. So don't necessarily need to drop 300+ on a Switch to play this, you could pick up a used WiiU at Gamestop for like $20 (or maybe they pay you to take them now, not sure  \s), and still play this game.

I'm debating. I'm hearing a lot of really good things about it, as in one of the best games Nintendo has put out period. But if I do get it, it will probably be on my Wii U, as Switch doesn't really have anything else that really looks all that interesting just yet.
    Sadly the Wii U is selling for 200$ at gamestop.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    It's selling at that price because of Zelda just wait awhile it will drop the price. Nothing rewards like patience. I'm one to talk though
    Chamber of Chains
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    DMKano said:
    Ah its one of those worthless 10/10 pre-release reviews.

Metacritic 98% after 64 reviews... not too shabby.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Zelda is without question the best Open world game i have ever played, I dont know about best game of all time but when it comes to RPG Open world nothing tops this. 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    report that a hole in this thread posting major spoliers
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I've been watching a friend play off and on the last couple of days....It is a very impressive looking game