Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CPU or GPU

pbowmanpbowman Member UncommonPosts: 33
Hey guys, have a question on which do you think would be the best bang for my buck.  My current system is:

CPU i5 3570 
GPU is GTX 660ti

I can only upgrade one at this time, which one should I do that I would see the most improvement in when gaming?  My thinking is the GPU, but not 100% sure.

Thank you

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    For gaming, GPU.

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Unless your having problems with anything you run, save money and wait on both for either next gen or lower prices on the current.

~I am Many~

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    That GPU is way outdated.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • WindamereWindamere Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Both..Most intensive games today (Especially Arma series)
    are CPU hungry...unless you have an 8 core CPU....go with both upgrades
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    How much money are you thinking of spending? 

Something like a 1060 would be what you are looking for to have a noticeable improvement.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    You'll probably have to upgrade your motherboard as well when you change your CPU.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    Upgrading the CPU is not viable unless you're basically willing to replace the computer.

Upgrading the GPU is a lot easier to do.  I'd want to see what power supply you've got, but depending on what you're willing to spend, a Radeon RX 480 (around $200) or GeForce GTX 1070 (around $400) would be a nice upgrade.  I wouldn't bother with smaller upgrades to anything less than the RX 480, though.

If you don't already have an SSD, then that's the upgrade you should do first.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited February 2017
    Quizzical said:
    Upgrading the CPU is not viable unless you're basically willing to replace the computer.

Upgrading the GPU is a lot easier to do.  I'd want to see what power supply you've got, but depending on what you're willing to spend, a Radeon RX 480 (around $200) or GeForce GTX 1070 (around $400) would be a nice upgrade.  I wouldn't bother with smaller upgrades to anything less than the RX 480, though.

If you don't already have an SSD, then that's the upgrade you should do first.

Eh, I beg to differ.  I didn't notice too much of a performance increase when I upgraded to SSD.  It was noticeable, but nothing compared to when I upgraded my GPU (for gaming, at least- SSD did improve general performance quite a bit).

It's true SSDs are a relatively cheap upgrade, but if you're on a super tight budget, I believe the OP will get more out of a GPU upgrade (the 660 is ancient).

But yeah the CPU looks like it can handle anything really.  You only really need to upgrade CPUs if it's bottlenecking you (and like Quizzical says, it's a royal pain to replace since you need a compatible motherboard and have to sweat handling this little multi-hundred dollar chip when you put it in).

Also agree with 480 or 1070.  480 if you want to handle everything out, 1070 if you want to also handle stuff that will come out later.