Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda on 3 new titles: They're bigger than anything we've done

VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
  Todd Howard:

"I can't talk a lot about them, but I can say that they're bigger than anything we've ever done. They're a bit different, but definitely in the wheelhouse that people are used to from us."

Full read and source:  https://www.pcgamesn.com/bethesda/todd-howard-hints-three-new-games

Comments

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I wonder if one of them is a VR game. They said multiple times in the past that VR would make a lot of sense to them. And now they are saying two of these titles "overlap" and are developed simultaneously.

Also curious if they will do mobile games at all. Fallout Shelter was a huge success, more so than anyone probably expected (including people at Bethesda).
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    laxie said:
    I wonder if one of them is a VR game. They said multiple times in the past that VR would make a lot of sense to them. And now they are saying two of these titles "overlap" and are developed simultaneously.

In this interview Howard mentions that VR is a huge thing for F4, so you might have a point there.

http://www.glixel.com/news/todd-howard-talks-fallout-4-vr-vats-in-vr-is-awesome-w467763
    laxie said:

Also curious if they will do mobile games at all. Fallout Shelter was a huge success, more so than anyone probably expected (including people at Bethesda).
    "According to Howard, two of the aforementioned projects are "classically Bethesda" with the third being another mobile game."

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Does that say amazing or that they have put little effort into their games already on the market?

VR would tell me to forget them altogether because NOBODY is going to make a legit VR game but will instead just make a crappy game using VR as the sell gimmick.
    Don't think for a minute i am some VR hater,i would love to see VR in gaming...IF done very well,the way i want to see VR incorporated.I don't care one bit about visuals of VR,we already have tons of games giving us all the graphics i need,i want game play great in depth full of discovery NO hand holding game play.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• StormsoneStormsone Member UncommonPosts: 83
    The studio has only ever made elder scrolls or fallout games, so.... elder scrolls and fallout makes sense. Unless Howard is talking about the softworks company and not the studio which he manages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethesda_Game_Studios

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethesda_Softworks

Two different things with different games.

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    yea i wouldn't hold my breathe lol
  • AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    So we are gonna get even more automatically generated content like radiant quests, and reusable locations like 90% of the caves in Skyrim, where they simply closed off different paths depending on the related quest, and where you always where lead back to the start - unless there was backdoor, for which you could never tell if they simply forgot to let the boss drop the key or if it's intended that way.

Heck, even the explorable planets in ME had more differences than Skyrims caves.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• Xion1985Xion1985 Member UncommonPosts: 229
    Bigger and Buggier. :)
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Three new projects, one of them mobile. But they are not telling us the titles, the genres or anything else. 

No news at all then.
  • nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    I hope that they are worth it...
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Rhoklaw said:
    Aside from Fallen Earth, which had horrible combat, there really isn't much in terms of Apocalyptic MMO's. As much as people scream for Fallout Multiplayer in the series, I can see the motivation behind it as well. They have the art assets already, theme, story and lore. I mean TESO is doing pretty well, so it really wouldn't surprise me.
    I doubt Todd Howard will do anything MMO related.  He didn't want, or at least didn't plan, to make TES into an MMO.  Obviously his boss thought otherwise.  I wish I could find the quote on that too.  Either way, I always feel optimistic whenever I see his name associated with a game.  He has proven his talent many times over and Bethesda wouldn't be nearly as big a studio if it wasn't for him and his direction with TES. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I don't think a mobile game will be bigger than anything they've ever done. A mobile game bigger than Fallout 3, 4 and Skyrim?

Maybe it will make them the most money they ever made. Because it be a bunch of heavy cash shop pay to win mobile crap.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    There was a time when i thought Bethesda could do no wrong, they made some of my favourite games, the last one of which was Skyrim, but then Skyrim had to be heavily modded before it became 'fun'. Will we see another Elder Scrolls game in the next few years? last heard the next one was still basically just down on 'paper' without developmental time put in, with actual status being little more than a rumour, makes you wonder if that was done purposely not to draw players away from ESO, either way, it will be several years before we see the next Elder Scrolls single player game, though in a way it would not surprise me in the least if TES effectively ended with Skyrim, i don't really have any faith in Besthesda to make games any more, and i most definitely would not pre-order any game they eventually make in the future, after all, Skryim needed Mods, and the community provided them, but now that 'mods' can only be obtained directly through Bethesda themselves, it means that future games will be the same, and there is likely to be a price tag.
    When you compare Bethesda to developers such as CD Projekt Red, it makes you wonder where Bethesda went wrong, is Zenimax to blame for Bethesda's woes? is Zenimax the reason that Bethesda became more about the money, than the game? i hope that CD Projekt Red doesn't fall into that same trap, though based on their past performance, it looks like there will be few worries there. :o
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Previously they had two upcoming games as big as Fallout and Skyrim coming coming on before Elder Scrolls 6:
      http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/06/15/bethesda-says-two-upcoming-games-are-as-big-as-skyrim-and-fallout

So unless those plans have changed, one of those big projects is mobile game, other is likely for PC and consoles. The third project they're talking about now could already be Elder Scrolls 6.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Nyctelios said:
    Well, they can't work on TES while ZenINC holds it hostage. So, new things, yeah they said that a while ago... and said the same thing about being bigger.

To be honest I have no clue what could it be.

Any bets?
    Well no, Bethesda can work on it as it's their game. However, Todd Howard said they wanted to work on other things. It's understandable though disappointing.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • StormsoneStormsone Member UncommonPosts: 83
    If you look at their release history
    2002 morrowind
    2006 oblivion
    2011 skyrim
    you notice a pattern which is their releases are every 5 years or so  2017 would be a possible release for the next elderscrolls or maybe 2018

or you could look at overall major releases like this
    2002 morrowind
    2006 oblivion
    2008 fallout 3
    2011 skyrim
    2015 fallout 4
    Thats a three to 4 years period between each game and its been only a little over a year from fallout 4. So, likely release is late 2018 for elderscrolls 6. This is just guesstimated of course but its educated and not out of a hat.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I'm glad some of the 500m from Facebook has already been put to good work. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Bad attempt at a mobile Elder Scrolls is my guess.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited February 2017
    Phry said:

When you compare Bethesda to developers such as CD Projekt Red, it makes you wonder where Bethesda went wrong
    No it doesn't... if anything it makes me wonder when Action/Adventure games became RPGs.

The first Witcher game felt like an RPG, the second felt like an action game (batman games), the third felt like GTA with character progression and conversation options. 
    Post edited by Distopia on

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    I hope one will be in-depth and original RPG.

Wait.. no, it's Bethesda...

Nevermind.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Wohoo Elder Scrolls in space...
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Fallout 5?
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    edited February 2017
    Fallout sandbox MMORPG <3

(with Jedis hehehe)

with the possibility, not necessity, to use a VR.
  • Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    a new line of hair styling and grooming products inspired by falming todd
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    mistmaker said:
    Fallout sandbox MMORPG <3

(with Jedis hehehe)

with the possibility, not necessity, to use a VR.
    That would be absolutely hillarioius, i can just imagine it, Zenimax/Bethesda approaching OR team for help developing programs for it, and being told to go forth and multiply with their mothers or something.
    Zenimax/Bethesda and Occulus Rift, the hatred is entirely mutual by this point, the only way those guys will talk to each other is likely via lawyers. O.o
  • holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Phry said:
    There was a time when i thought Bethesda could do no wrong, they made some of my favourite games, the last one of which was Skyrim, but then Skyrim had to be heavily modded before it became 'fun'. Will we see another Elder Scrolls game in the next few years? last heard the next one was still basically just down on 'paper' without developmental time put in, with actual status being little more than a rumour, makes you wonder if that was done purposely not to draw players away from ESO, either way, it will be several years before we see the next Elder Scrolls single player game, though in a way it would not surprise me in the least if TES effectively ended with Skyrim, i don't really have any faith in Besthesda to make games any more, and i most definitely would not pre-order any game they eventually make in the future, after all, Skryim needed Mods, and the community provided them, but now that 'mods' can only be obtained directly through Bethesda themselves, it means that future games will be the same, and there is likely to be a price tag.
    When you compare Bethesda to developers such as CD Projekt Red, it makes you wonder where Bethesda went wrong, is Zenimax to blame for Bethesda's woes? is Zenimax the reason that Bethesda became more about the money, than the game? i hope that CD Projekt Red doesn't fall into that same trap, though based on their past performance, it looks like there will be few worries there. :o
    Wait, what? Are you really trying to make the argument that Bethesda can't make quality games anymore based on vanilla Skyrim?

lol Christ. I dont care if anyone mods the hell out of their game or doesn't like vanilla Skyrim or whatever. That is why they provide the ability to mod the games because everyones taste is so different. But to say that unmodded Skyrim was anything but a legit AAA well made title has got to be a joke. In particular when judging their ability to make future games.