Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for some info about what makes a good PC.

2»

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 21,438
    Asm0deus said:
    Ridelynn said:
    Here's my checklist, and roughly the order I put things into my shopping cart.

1) Pick your CPU

2) Pick out your case (mostly aesthetic here, I recommend starting with a Mid-Tower ATX size, it's the most common and easy to work with)

2) Pick a Motherboard that supports CPU and fits in your case (you can put a smaller motherboard (mATX or the like) in a larger case, but you can't go the other way around). Don't have to go bonkers on the motherboard, but don't go super cheap either. Brands like Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, AsRock are standard choices and fairly safe bets.

3) Select RAM that supports Motherboard

4) Pick your GPU. Make sure it has the correct output to match your monitor (or get the appropriate converter)

5) Get an Aftermarket CPU cooler, make sure it will fit in your case (don't need to go bonkers, the CoolerMaster 212 is a good baseline to start with, fits nearly every ATX and most mATX cases)

6) Storage (SSD, SSD+ HDD, it's easy to add more space later on, but start with the SSD to install Windows)

7) Windows license

8) Optical drive (totally optional these days, most everything is USB thumb drive or digital download anymore)

9) PSU - I save this for last. A general rule of thumb is 600-650W is going to be overkill for 99% of all PCs out, and a safe choice without digging down into the math. Make sure it's high quality - Seasonic is a safe choice, most Corsairs are good, past that it starts to get really hit or miss and you really have to get into some good reviews.

10) Any other peripherals you want (WiFi card, monitors, keyboards, mice, headphones, etc)
    Agreed witht he exception that I think the PSU should be higher up in the list like equal to motherboard. I mean really unless your overclocking the MB isn't going to be that expensive and you wont see a huge difference tween a 300$ one and 150$ one.

A  psu can make or break stuff and people tend to put this far to low on the list, quality doesn't necessarily go with watts.

Ridelynn mentions this but just wanted to point out I think it should be like # 5 IMO.
    That's shopping cart order, not order of importance.  You need to know your CPU and GPU (or at least their wattages) before you pick a power supply to know how much wattage you need.

Personally, I tend to put a GPU toward the end, as it's the item that is easiest to scale up or down in isolation.  I pick other items first that seem about right for the budget, and then see how much money remains in the budget and use the rest of it on a GPU.
  • filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Do people really have that many problems with stock coolers?  I mean if you are going to overclock I would say get a different one.  Otherwise there is no need to purchase a cooler.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 6,894
    edited February 2017
    Intel stock cooler is the worst thing. AMD's non-Wraith cooler is almost as bad.

Yes, stock coolers work, but even a mediocre third party cooler (like the CM 212) is vastly better than the stock coolers (in terms of temperature control and noise), can be a lot easier to install (F'n Intel pushpins), and doesn't set you back a lot of cash.

And Intel stopped shipping the embarrassment of a stock cooler with their higher end parts, I believe with Skylake.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 21,438
    If all you want is for your CPU to neither melt nor catch fire at stock speeds, the stock cooler is fine.  If you're going to leave the CPU at stock speeds and give it such light workloads that you pretty much never push multiple cores for thermally significant periods of time, the stock cooler is again fine.  If you were hoping for good temperatures and low noise when playing demanding games, most stock coolers are quite bad.

AMD shipped some coolers with their FX and Phenom II processors that had several heatpipes and weren't so bad in isolation.  The problem is that a cooler that would perform well on a 65 W CPU can be rather mediocre on a 125 W CPU, which is what they were packaged with.  The lower wattage CPUs got coolers about as bad as what Intel was shipping.