Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for some info about what makes a good PC.

2»

Comments

• filmoretfilmoret Member EpicPosts: 4,906
    Do people really have that many problems with stock coolers?  I mean if you are going to overclock I would say get a different one.  Otherwise there is no need to purchase a cooler.
    Are you onto something or just on something?
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited February 2017
    Intel stock cooler is the worst thing. AMD's non-Wraith cooler is almost as bad.

Yes, stock coolers work, but even a mediocre third party cooler (like the CM 212) is vastly better than the stock coolers (in terms of temperature control and noise), can be a lot easier to install (F'n Intel pushpins), and doesn't set you back a lot of cash.

And Intel stopped shipping the embarrassment of a stock cooler with their higher end parts, I believe with Skylake.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    If all you want is for your CPU to neither melt nor catch fire at stock speeds, the stock cooler is fine.  If you're going to leave the CPU at stock speeds and give it such light workloads that you pretty much never push multiple cores for thermally significant periods of time, the stock cooler is again fine.  If you were hoping for good temperatures and low noise when playing demanding games, most stock coolers are quite bad.

AMD shipped some coolers with their FX and Phenom II processors that had several heatpipes and weren't so bad in isolation.  The problem is that a cooler that would perform well on a 65 W CPU can be rather mediocre on a 125 W CPU, which is what they were packaged with.  The lower wattage CPUs got coolers about as bad as what Intel was shipping.