Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Matt Firor: 8.5 Million ESO Players Right Now Based On Sales - Elder Scrolls Online - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    I hardly believe that many are actively playing. I have tried to get into this game multiple times with no luck. I am sure I am counted in that number.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    Forgrimm said:
    kitarad said:
    Gdemami said:
    Iselin said:
    So how are registered accounts not the same as units sold unless for some bizarre reason you buy it and don't register an account... which you need to do before you can actually play at all.

Do enlighten us about boxes bought that are never played.
    All bought games need an account but not all accounts are equal bought game.

You're making zero sense I don't get it.
    They've had at least one "play for free" weekend. So anyone could have created an account during that time but not actually purchased the game.
    Okay that makes sense so they counted their free weekends too , that could potentially skew the numbers by quite a lot.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Avarix said:
    chelvaric said:
    Avarix said:
    Keep comming back to this game, but after 1-2 hours gameplay... the combat is just so bad/Boring sorry to say
    This has been my experience as well. I tried it out in beta and it wasn't for me based on combat alone. I ended up grabbing it during a Steam sale a couple months ago and tried it again. Same thing. Also, not a fan of the classes/skill lines. I dislike that I'm forced into javelin spells as a Templar, as puncturing sweeps is a must have, and forced into summons as a Sorcerer. The other two classes don't interest me.

I will end up grabbing the Morrowind expansion at some point since I am holding out hope that the Warden is for me, since it looks like the ESO version of a Druid which is always a favorite class of mine.
    Who's forcing you to use summons as sorcerer. nothing is forcing you to run sorcerer without summons or heck even without any sorcerer spell. thats why eso is so good in class freedom you can basicly make anything work. there are dk healers or nb healers so that alone shows that there no hard detirmend roles for each class
    It gives you the illusion of choice. Summons offer you not just a tank but a heal as well, all in one skill. There is nothing comparable. That makes it a must have skill.
    A sorcerer with summons would be laughed out of any veteran dungeon, raid or Cyrodiil.

The clanfear IS handy for leveling early on and you do need to slot something from that skill line until you unlock the non-summoning skills farther up which are the actually useful ones.

But I do agree with your overall point that once you know the game and are doing high level content the choices are more limited than what it looks like at first glance or when you're new to the game. Some abilities are that much better than others once you know what you're doing... the clanfear's heal can be ditched for the much better Surge proc as soon as you unlock that.

About the only time its tanking is useful is when you want to solo some content that is meant for group play like dungeon instances or world bosses. Otherwise they are a huge DPS loss not to mention they take up a slot on both bars... or all 3 if you use an overload bar as well.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    DMKano said:

Kano never takes it well when any other game than one coming from Trion is having a successful run of some sort. I've seen these sour statements and fabricating his own "facts" countless times here on the forums.

Trove has had 4500 players average on Steamcharts in the last 6 month and just recently Kano made an effort to explain how "successful" that game is. On the other hand ESO's 8.5 mio isn't impressive for a mmorpg because a single player game sold more copies. Go figure.

At least we didn't see his usual made up numbers from "inside sources that must not be named" -yet.

Ah dear Volgore - need some hard data?

So why don't we look at Steamspy numbers for Trove and ESO? 

Trove - players in last 2 weeks - 210,037 - total players 6.1 million

ESO - players in last 2 weeks - 153,860 - total players 915K

Again - these are only STEAM numbers - both games have higher PC numbers (many don't use steam for either game), and both games are having huge console playerbases (yes Trove has more players being that it's free and that it's VERY kid friendly)

Clearly both games are doing well - also the overwhelming majority for both games are consoles - anywhere from 4x to 10x console players in comparison to PC players.

I am not a big believer in their data but if youre going to compare them then you can compare them fully.

Trove(according their metric) has 7,443,772 owners, with the usual margin of error. ESO according to them has 981K. So basically 1/7 the overall 'pool' to pull from. It even shows the percentages there. 2.8% versus 15.7%. Of owners to players.

So if people are going to use flawed numbers to differentiate between Owners and "active" players you basically just proved their point.

Basically "everyone" OWNS a FREE TO PLAY game, many dont play it. Those numbers bear that out perfectly.

Now again to compare them 'fully' ESO just had the housing DLC so their numbers are also skewed higher for the past two weeks. Not to mention the Gold Edition is also 50% off so they have that bringing in more people as well. But from the looks of that SS Trove also looks like it may have release new content as well.

I have never ever logged into or created a Trove account. BUT I do play Rift and have played Archeage and Defiance and I obviously need the Glyph launcher to access those games. I am positive that even though I have never launched Trove I am counted as an owner, and I wouldnt be shocked that ANYONE who accesses the Glyph launcher for ANY Trion game they get counted as a 'player' for every game on that launcher. Conspiracy theory but they all manipulate their numbers the best they know how.

I am no ESO apologists and I was way more critical than most and I didnt even buy the game at launch because I played through most of the betas. It was that bad. But it has done something not many, if any games has done. It has gotten better (in most respects) over time and it has gotten more players to come into it after the initial hype train every game sees at launch.

A LOT of people PLAY this game. at all times of the day. You cant ever find a 'downtime' in it. Unlike Rift (which still has a semi regular base) where you can go to certain servers, run the whole map and not see a soul. ESO has player on every map and their whole go where you want whenever you want is the reason for that. You dont out level zones and have top heavy areas. But even in Rift on some servers the top level areas are still empty.

So yeah this piece originally had some incorrect wording but it has been corrected but to think ESO doesnt have a very high active player base is pretty naive.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    This is so funny it is sad.

This is exactly like Blizzard bragging about how much money they make,right before announcing a DLC lol.

It really takes a lot of balls to shove that in consumers faces,yeah hey we have all your money and we are coming more.It is like a Hockey team announcing they made 500 million right alongside over priced tickets.

When we see GREED it jut doesn't look good,these greedy rich need to start showing some appreciation from their customers instead of shoving bragging in their faces.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Torval said:
    SBFord said:
    UPDATE: This is based on units sold NOT registered accounts.
    So how many active players would WoW have if they only counted boxes sold?
    How many WoW players can keep playing just on an initial box fee without a mandatory monthly milking fee? It's almost like you can't make a direct comparison between dissimilar situations.
    That's what makes WoW's numbers so much more impressive.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited February 2017
    NVM

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I don't get how people can get into these numbers arguments with people.  Who the fuck really cares? 
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Probably around 1 million active players which is really good for an MMORPG these days. I would say it is likely higher though.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Is this units sold to retailers or retailers sales of the game? Either way the title is 'Fox News' misleading. I have ESO on PC and XBone and don't play either anymore, I wonder if I count as two players 'right now based on sales.' Same with the 1.5 million in the last three months, is that sold to retailers or retailers sales of the game? If it's the latter, that's pretty damn good, if not it's just more marketing spin but we'll probably never know.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    A million... you think they've retained, over 3 years, almost 12% of their people that bought it? I doubt that it's anywhere close to that. 7 or 8% maybe. Either way it's a number pulled from ass and should be treated as such.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    kitarad said:
    How so?

Go to their site: Menu - > Account -> Create an account, fill the form -> Submit. How many games did you buy at that point?
    Wizardry said:

This is exactly like Blizzard bragging about how much money they make,right before announcing a DLC lol.

It really takes a lot of balls to shove that in consumers faces,yeah hey we have all your money and we are coming more.It is like a Hockey team announcing they made 500 million right alongside over priced tickets.

When we see GREED it jut doesn't look good,these greedy rich need to start showing some appreciation from their customers instead of shoving bragging in their faces.
    Hey it's the gamer version of trickle down economics: "the game is making tons of money therefore they will make it an even better game for me to enjoy." Or so the story goes. :)

I've always found it fascinating that the average working stiff buys into the Reaganomics bullshit. It's like saying "may I bend over for your pleasure again, sir?"
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• H4lucinationH4lucination Member UncommonPosts: 18
    I bought it and regret every penny
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    I'm not an active player due to wasting to much time in BDO but ESO are a really great game so I see the numbers of total sales proof of that.

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    I bought it. Haven't played in awhile and no plan to.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Gdemami said:
    kitarad said:
    How so?

Go to their site: Menu - > Account -> Create an account, fill the form -> Submit. How many games did you buy at that point?
    EH? You're talking forum/site account, not game accounts, the former have nothing to do with this topic so why even go there?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Distopia said:
    EH? You're talking forum/site account, not game accounts
    Same thing.
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:

Hey it's the gamer version of trickle down economics: "the game is making tons of money therefore they will make it an even better game for me to enjoy." Or so the story goes. :)

I've always found it fascinating that the average working stiff buys into the Reaganomics bullshit. It's like saying "may I bend over for your pleasure again, sir?"
    So posting no numbers means a game is dying and they're obviously trying to hide it before they close up shop this year while posting numbers is belligerent endorsement of Reaganomics?

Yes, yes okay. David Lynch is that you?
    I was thinking more of the fans cheering on large profits as if this was a good thing for them also. You got to have faith that the goodness will trickle down to you to do that.

It's merely an interesting factoid. Not something to be cheered... or attacked by Trion fans either for that matter :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Is this units sold to retailers or retailers sales of the game? Either way the title is 'Fox News' misleading. I have ESO on PC and XBone and don't play either anymore, I wonder if I count as two players 'right now based on sales.' Same with the 1.5 million in the last three months, is that sold to retailers or retailers sales of the game? If it's the latter, that's pretty damn good, if not it's just more marketing spin but we'll probably never know.
    Its box sales over all 3 platforms, so if you have more than one copy of the game, then you are counted multiple times.
    It would be interesting however, if Xpacs count as new accounts or not? if the figures are box sales for the base game only, then thats pretty good, 8 million is not a small figure, if it includes box sales from each of the expacs then that figure gets diluted down quite a bit, i am guessing, that it does not include expansions box sales, but there is nothing to confirm this so i wouldn't rule it out. :o
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Wizardry said:

So posting no numbers means a game is dying and they're obviously trying to hide it before they close up shop this year while posting numbers is belligerent endorsement of Reaganomics?

Yes, yes okay. David Lynch is that you?
    I was thinking more of the fans cheering on large profits as if this was a good thing for them also. You got to have faith that the goodness will trickle down to you to do that.

It's merely an interesting factoid. Not something to be cheered... or attacked by Trion fans either for that matter :)
    Trino plz... :tongue:

Large profits are a good thing. It means your product is successful and the business is interested in dumping time and effort into it. Communicating that to your business partners and customers is good. That is not trickle down economics. For one it's a business with a consumer product relationship. That is not what trickle down was or is about. Saying that it is looks more like projection on your part.

If I were going to use ludicrous generalizations and stereotypes like you did, instead of sound reasoning, I could have just said your argument comes across as part of the entitlement crowd that expects $100M entertainment on a 50 cent a day budget.

You don't have an argument of any substance so you mock the character of anyone who would oppose your view. It's lame.
    Trickle down economics is exactly this. It's the theory that benefits for the wealthy trickle down to everyone else. It doesn't take a whole lot of imagination to substitute "wealthy" with gaming company and gamer for "everyone else."

Lame is always rooting for the corporations like a blind fanboy as if it was also a good thing for you. Yes. Large profits are good... for those making those profits not for anyone else.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Phry said:
    <snip>
    Its box sales over all 3 platforms, so if you have more than one copy of the game, then you are counted multiple times.
    It would be interesting however, if Xpacs count as new accounts or not? <snip>
    Not.

Xpacs (and other extras) need a base account to which the registration code is applied.

If a person buys more than one copy of the "base" game then that will be more than one account. Same as if one person has more than one WoW account etc.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    gervaise1 said:
    Phry said:
    <snip>
    It would be interesting however, if Xpacs count as new accounts or not? <snip>
    Not.

Xpacs (and other extras) need a base account to which the registration code is applied.

If a person buys more than one copy of the "base" game then that will be more than one account. Same as if one person has more than one WoW account etc.
    What isn't obvious is whether or not its just the base game, or all box sales, which might include expansions. There is no data either way to suggest it does, or it does not. :o
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    BeansnBread said: 
    A million... you think they've retained, over 3 years, almost 12% of their people that bought it? I doubt that it's anywhere close to that. 7 or 8% maybe. Either way it's a number pulled from ass and should be treated as such.
    MMOs generally have a 10% retention rate counting those that leave and those that return over time. Not that big of a stretch to think ESO has 1+ million active players especially considering that 1.5 million copies have been sold in the last 6 months.

350k per platform if the player base is pretty even as had been said.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    How exactly retention plays out differs for different business models.

It "matters" for f2p and b2p games since customers are the source of income but not in the same way as it does for a subscription game.

Could the game have a million players 3 years out? (Although its a lot less than that for the console launch which is "almost certainly" when "most" of the 8.5M sales will have taken place.) Well its sold 1.5M in c. the last c.6 months so why not. 

And what really matters is that the "servers" are busy - would be worrying if they weren't since there are only 6 of them! There are "issues" surrounding megaservers but they mitigate against the lack of population. Which means it still provides the "experience" for new players which helps new sales.