Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skeptimistically Impressed - Ashes of Creation Columns

Comments

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited February 2017
    CrazKanuk said:
    As far as studios failing to deliver, there are only about 20% of projects remaining undelivered after 3 years of development. That's still a big number, in my opinion, but it still shows a decent success rate. However, the number of those which are MMORPGs is approaching zero. 
    Failing to deliver "something" vs. failing to deliver on their promises. We were talking about the latter afaik.

Most studios can surely deliver something after 3 years of development. It doesn't mean that they fulfilled the promises they've made when they asked the public to crowdfund their project.

CrazKanuk said:
    You are right, there are many video game creators, publishers, etc who believe it's worthwhile, but the whole reason crowdfunding even exists is a means of generating funding and interest because, otherwise, these games wouldn't be attempted by publishers, video game creators, etc.
    It may be the true for some projects that, given that the game caters to a niche audience and thus profitability is unproven or unsatisfactory, even small publishing companies or investors don't want to fund it themselves.

Independently of this though, crowdfunding is attractive mainly because:
    1. Low risk (few legal obligations, failure is an acceptable exit)
    2. Free money (pledges / donations)
    3. Exposure (media attention, word of mouth) 
    4. Volunteering (unpaid testing, CS, Wiki, translation, etc.)
    5. Market research (direct communication with the targeted audience)
    JamesGoblin
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I recall the whole Amway train and its pyramid. I was shocked to see how many people actually bought their own product just to meet a quota.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    kitarad said:
    I recall the whole Amway train and its pyramid. I was shocked to see how many people actually bought their own product just to meet a quota.
    A lot of people get into MLM that shouldn't. You need to be a good salesperson and a good networker and work a lot of hours to make something out of it.  Most people don't have the skill or the desire to put in the work so they fail and do things like that. At that point I'd blame the person for making an obviously bad decision.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    CrazKanuk said:
    As far as studios failing to deliver, there are only about 20% of projects remaining undelivered after 3 years of development. That's still a big number, in my opinion, but it still shows a decent success rate. However, the number of those which are MMORPGs is approaching zero. 
    Failing to deliver "something" vs. failing to deliver on their promises. We were talking about the latter afaik.

Most studios can surely deliver something after 3 years of development. It doesn't mean that they fulfilled the promises they've made when they asked the public to crowdfund their project.

CrazKanuk said:
    You are right, there are many video game creators, publishers, etc who believe it's worthwhile, but the whole reason crowdfunding even exists is a means of generating funding and interest because, otherwise, these games wouldn't be attempted by publishers, video game creators, etc.
    It may be the true for some projects that, given that the game caters to a niche audience and thus profitability is unproven or unsatisfactory, even small publishing companies or investors don't want to fund it themselves.

Independently of this though, crowdfunding is attractive mainly because:
    1. Low risk (few legal obligations, failure is an acceptable exit)
    2. Free money (pledges / donations)
    3. Exposure (media attention, word of mouth) 
    4. Volunteering (unpaid testing, CS, Wiki, translation, etc.)
    5. Market research (direct communication with the targeted audience)

True, true. Delivering on promises is a bit of a fickle bitch at times, too, though. I've seen instances where there is confusion surrounding some of the promises, which really does muddy the water. Certainly muddy enough to avoid any sort of prosecution, lol. I generally back at a lower tier only because I'm more risk averse and I tend not to fall in love with the idea of a project, opposed to the implementation (which is rarely available). For that reason I tend to forget about some of those who back for reasons like physical goods or the like. 

I'd agree with you on all of the items you mention with regards to crowdfunding. What I will say, though, is that in the cases where we're talking about a "big" project, there will ultimately be secondary funding (in many cases), so that legal obligation tends to get tacked on if the project is successful enough to attract secondary investors. There definitely have been cases where failure, lack of focus, and lack of additional funding has been considered an acceptable exit, though (Greedmonger immediately comes to mind). However, I believe that most will have some strategy that doesn't rely on crowdfunding being wildly successful. If not, then I'd be concerned, lol.

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Leiloni said:
    kitarad said:
    A lot of people get into MLM that shouldn't. You need to be a good salesperson and a good networker and work a lot of hours to make something out of it.  Most people don't have the skill or the desire to put in the work so they fail and do things like that. At that point I'd blame the person for making an obviously bad decision.
    As was shared earlier some MLM is sketchy because its designed to sell more to its agents or their family/friends.

Big difference from a franchise where the primary customer is the general public, though both models kick a percentage of the earnings upstairs.

I have no idea what this game's founders sold or if legit or sketchy.  The answer to this question might be very telling on what may happen this time around 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

kitarad said:
    Yeah, if HBO is doing a documentary on a MLM "opportunity" it's probably a bad sign. ;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    TimEisen said:
    This might be a comments best for me, thank You to everyone that contributed!
    It's only fitting that we share our love for your columns on this special Valentine's Day!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    edited February 2017
    According to their website, here's how the team is divided:
    • Direction / Production : 2.5 *
    • Design: 3
    • Art: 6
    • Engineering: 0.5 *
    * one developer is both technical director and engineer
    JamesGoblin
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I get a bad feeling about something that i seemed to have forgot that the past has showed me.

USUALLY when i see pvp,it is because the games lack content,so this sort of worries me.This is a small team,hence why i can understand the automated systems and pvp.
    As well they stated that everything you can build can be destroyed.There is no way that will go over well,so there has to be restrictions of which they have not told us yet.

My suspicious side of me tells me there might just be some cash shop tied into pvp/destruction.I get even more suspicious when certain ideas are not fully explained but hey i can wait for the answers lol.Don't blame me either,i was excited for COE until i heard the finer detail and ruined it all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

TimEisen said:
    TimEisen said:
    This might be a comments best for me, thank You to everyone that contributed!
    It's only fitting that we share our love for your columns on this special Valentine's Day!

Glad you guys love them because I hate the ****ers!
    LOL

Its content. They spur discussion.  If I agreed with everything you posted why would I need to read it?

When I stop bitching about something you write... THATS when you should get concerned!

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Wizardry said:
    I get a bad feeling about something that i seemed to have forgot that the past has showed me.

USUALLY when i see pvp,it is because the games lack content,so this sort of worries me.This is a small team,hence why i can understand the automated systems and pvp.
    As well they stated that everything you can build can be destroyed.There is no way that will go over well,so there has to be restrictions of which they have not told us yet.

My suspicious side of me tells me there might just be some cash shop tied into pvp/destruction.I get even more suspicious when certain ideas are not fully explained but hey i can wait for the answers lol.Don't blame me either,i was excited for COE until i heard the finer detail and ruined it all.
    For people that enjoy PvP, the PvP IS content. It's a lot of content. But it's pretty clear just from reading their website that this game is about far more than PvP.
    TimEisen said:
    Leiloni said:
    Wizardry said:

For people that enjoy PvP, the PvP IS content. It's a lot of content. But it's pretty clear just from reading their website that this game is about far more than PvP.
    And if you do it right, like EVE, PVP forms a ecosystem of never ending content. That said this game looks like it will be a PVP and PVE game which concerns me. I'm not sure a crowd funded game can handle both.
    No worries, people in this thread have assured us this team has access to all the funding it needs, millions upon millions even

The crowdfunding is probably just to cover incidentals like hookers and blow, can't write them off you know. ;)

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Kyleran said:
    TimEisen said:
    Leiloni said:
    Wizardry said:

And if you do it right, like EVE, PVP forms a ecosystem of never ending content. That said this game looks like it will be a PVP and PVE game which concerns me. I'm not sure a crowd funded game can handle both.
    No worries, people in this thread have assured us this team has access to all the funding it needs, millions upon millions even

The crowdfunding is probably just to cover incidentals like hookers and blow, can't write them off you know. ;)
    C'mon, we all know the crowdfunding money is just for the expensive coffee machines and the fancy doors... :glasses:
  • KirssikaKirssika Member CommonPosts: 4
    Wizardry said:

I think PvP can blend in with PvE if done correctly. From what I've heard on Discord I really suspect it will be exactly like it in this game.

For destroying Node you will get long period of notice about upcoming siege (around 4 days as Steven wrote on this forum, and getting longer with size of node as stated on Discord) That's the restriction that will make it harder for attackers, defenders will be prepared. And don't forget that Node will have blanks, watch towers and many other building that will help them to defend. Whats more you want be able to put up another siege for that Node for much longer period.

Cash shop is to contain only cosmetic items that will never give you any advantage over other players. What's more cash shop cosmetics will be propably avaiable to get in normal game, but in diffrent colours.
    Steven has written many times how much important it is for him not to put any p2w content in the game.
    As he is gamer, that have experienced sorrow of playing p2w games I intend to trust him on that one.

Some ideas are not fully explained because they are not fully developed and implemented. They can still change over time. Remember that they are working on this game for a very short period of time. I have never seen a game that is only a year in development, and we knew about it at least half of we know about Ashes.

I don't blame you for disbelieving, it's hard to gain ones trust after it was broken once. But please when the game is close to release, look into it. Dont decide just yet :) I hope we will see each other in game!
  • GalerunnerGalerunner Member UncommonPosts: 13
    @Wizardry What amazes me about this whole prozess is how much thought they put in. Having said that, I repeat, it is early and a lot remains to be seen, there is still a vast lack of information concerning details, we haven't heard anything about crafting yet except for, it will be important and extensive.
    To get to the pvp point to, taken from a different post here, directly answered from steven.

"There is however a mechanic that allows the players to undertake a siege process against nodes that have developed to the Village (stage 3) or above (nodes have 6 stages, the highest of which is a Metropolis). This process is long and difficult. Requiring considerable resources and time. And the defenders (citizens) of a node will have the advantage going into this fight. Furthermore, there is a declaration period that will exist for 1-4 days prior to the siege itself (depending on the stage of the node), allowing the citizens of the node to prepare for battle. Once the siege has finished, if the node still stands it will not be possible to siege the node until a time has passed equal to 10x the declaration period. "

• ThorrikThorrik Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I'm actually looking forward to this game. Steve Sharif seems like a man that has a passion for MMOs and want to see its success, than just milking the cow.
    Thorrik said:
    I'm actually looking forward to this game. Steve Sharif seems like a man that has a passion for MMOs and want to see its success, than just milking the cow.
    I get that feeling as well and i firmly believe i can tell when a developer is simply a business and when it is actually enjoying building a game they believe in.
    I know every single developer markets themselves as such but i like to form my own judgement rather than believe someone else.

As i have stated earlier,i know they have tried to do pvp right or about as good as you can.
    However i strongly disagree that pvp is content because it is not,it is a simply flagging system.

I don't want to be spending everyday gathering resources and waiting to be attacked.I don't mind gathering resources for my "node"geesh i don't like that term,it just sounds wrong.Anyhow resource gathering for my town is a nice idea as something added but it cannot be the main reason i login everyday.

So i guess like a few other games under the radar,what are we going to be doing everyday,is there a solid character building system/s we can work on everyday?

I should point out ,that at one time i never liked mmorpg's,they did not offer me the everyday reason to login except levels and that idea alone is too weak.It was FFXI that got me hooked because i had over 20 classes to build on and i could mix and match their abilities,so it gave me literally YEARS of stuff to do just building my character alone.So is this game going to offer us something of that kind of longevity?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

You see what worries me and the MAIN reason i detest most games is they offer so little that everyone thinks it is a race to end game and then that is all the games offer.
    Then because that is soooo little to offer a gamer,that is where pvp comes in and often times games will formulate ladders  and ranks to keep people interested in the pvp side,however all of that is NOT what  a mmorpg foundation should be built on,matter of fact it has nothing to do with rpg'ing.

So for me it is a NO to military zones and no to end game rushing.

Wizardry said:
    You see what worries me and the MAIN reason i detest most games is they offer so little that everyone thinks it is a race to end game and then that is all the games offer.
    Then because that is soooo little to offer a gamer,that is where pvp comes in and often times games will formulate ladders  and ranks to keep people interested in the pvp side,however all of that is NOT what  a mmorpg foundation should be built on,matter of fact it has nothing to do with rpg'ing.

Well I didn't see this happening, like ever, but I agree with you on this. It is an interesting time we're in when story is secondary to just getting to the end. Like every one of my kids, at one time or another, just zipped through cut scenes, conversation, etc. It's like what's the point? Here! Go play Call of Duty! It's no wonder people are never fulfilled, it's because they zip through the content and never even understand what their purpose is in the game. With that as your context, I guess we shouldn't really be surprised at people complaining about a lack of content and innovation. Nobody stops to smell the roses today. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:
    Wizardry said:

Well I didn't see this happening, like ever, but I agree with you on this. It is an interesting time we're in when story is secondary to just getting to the end. Like every one of my kids, at one time or another, just zipped through cut scenes, conversation, etc. It's like what's the point? Here! Go play Call of Duty! It's no wonder people are never fulfilled, it's because they zip through the content and never even understand what their purpose is in the game. With that as your context, I guess we shouldn't really be surprised at people complaining about a lack of content and innovation. Nobody stops to smell the roses today. 
    Did hell just freeze over because I find myself in agreement with both of you.  ;)

Kyleran said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Wizardry said:

Did hell just freeze over because I find myself in agreement with both of you.  ;)

I am feeling a little chilly today. I just thought it was a Canada thing. Looking south of the border, though, is looking a little frosty too. Let Dan know that Joe says winter is coming. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited February 2017
    CrazKanuk said:
    Wizardry said:

The reason I play RPG is because I am fond of RPG gaming mechanics and while a good story enhances the experiences I never found it necessary as long as the gaming mechanics are solid. My two favorite games last year was Darkest Dungeon and Dark Souls 3. As much as I liked the storytelling of witcher 3 I preferred pillars of eternity as a game.

The changes from when I started gaming is that instead of getting a lot of context from playing the game you get taken out of the game to watch lengthy cut scenes to the point where it no longer feels like you play a game. Its even more problematic when it comes to mmorpg because cut scenes means you are no longer interacting with people.

I don't rush to endgame, its just that I see little value in doing the same low effort leveling content that I already done in bunch of other games.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • KirssikaKirssika Member CommonPosts: 4
    Wizardry said:
    Thorrik said:
    I get that feeling as well and i firmly believe i can tell when a developer is simply a business and when it is actually enjoying building a game they believe in.
    I know every single developer markets themselves as such but i like to form my own judgement rather than believe someone else.

As i have stated earlier,i know they have tried to do pvp right or about as good as you can.
    However i strongly disagree that pvp is content because it is not,it is a simply flagging system.

I don't want to be spending everyday gathering resources and waiting to be attacked.I don't mind gathering resources for my "node"geesh i don't like that term,it just sounds wrong.Anyhow resource gathering for my town is a nice idea as something added but it cannot be the main reason i login everyday.

So i guess like a few other games under the radar,what are we going to be doing everyday,is there a solid character building system/s we can work on everyday?

I should point out ,that at one time i never liked mmorpg's,they did not offer me the everyday reason to login except levels and that idea alone is too weak.It was FFXI that got me hooked because i had over 20 classes to build on and i could mix and match their abilities,so it gave me literally YEARS of stuff to do just building my character alone.So is this game going to offer us something of that kind of longevity?
    Actually character building system will be very complex. First you will choose your archetype from 8 avaiable classes. You could choose between Fighter, Tank, Rogue, Ranger, Mage, Summoner, Cleric, Bard. After some progression you will choose your subclass from same 8 classes. Each of them will allow you to augment you main skill tree with secondary skill tree. There will be several ways to do so. So you will have option to choose from 64 diffrent classes, and all of them will have diffrent progression options avaiable. Whats more you will choose one of eight races. Every race will give you some racial skills and will modify some of your class skills. So I assume that all togheter you will get 512 diffrent ways to build your character, all of them with some twist you can make. So if you were happy with having 20 classes, then I think you will be content with this game :)

And PvP is not just flagging, its sieges, caravan protection and attack, maybe even some naval battles. There for sure will be small conflicts for grind spots or maybe even fights over world bosses loot. Basically most PvP will not even include flagging. There will be also arena fights, and if I understood it correctly mayors of military Nodes will be elected trough arena fights once a month. Beeing mayor is big thing, coz you will get to ride the dragon which is only avaiable flying mount in game. Usually I'm not interested in games that are only PvE or only PvP, even though I always play full cleric so in one by one fights I have no chance to win. I never seen even one game that would make me interested in it for long time if there was not those two mechanics implemented. But it has to be done right.
    I see the MLM concept is translating to the MMO world just fine so far!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited February 2017
    I see the MLM concept is translating to the MMO world just fine so far!
    Oddly enough, even though the whole Amway MLM pyramid scheme is just pure unadulterated sleaze in real life, it seems rather innocuous in MMOs considering routine schemes such as $5K crowdfunding JPGs and gambling boxes :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED