Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do You Like The Minimap?

45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
edited February 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

Comments

• craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Pretty much all of the 'no' options are acceptable to me. Even in combination. Purchased from an NPC or player or a UI map with very minimal information.
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    It comes in handy from time to time to see what's around you. But playing ESO on th PS4, I don't have one and I actually don't miss it...
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Love the mini map.  
    Some interesting options would have been.
    No, and no one should have them.
    Yes, but other players should be able to turn it off if they don't like them.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    I prefer such things be optional - and games not being designed around them.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    I guess the question would be what mini-map particularly? 

In some games I like having the mini-map, can be a tool for resource gathering. Games aren't always perfect on spawn locations for gathering nodes -- they can land inside other assets, hidden under bushes etc. It's nice having a map for these cases that point out node locations at a quick glimpse.

Other cases are different, if a game is purely focused on combat then I see no need for the mini-map, it would just be a distraction from the field.

General navigation aids are always a plus, the brain can only memorize so much, the reminder is welcomed. 
  • Jackson_LeeJackson_Lee Member CommonPosts: 14
    some might find minimap is annoyed but it does help for the games with large mapping. 
    minimap does shows direction and information for the destination. 
    Even in most MMORPG it enables players to activate autorun function that helps players get to the place easily.
    that's why i vote for yes, it is needed. 
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Nope,  I liked sense heading. 

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Minimap should provide you the information based on your characters senses. Visible objects and creatures, sources of sounds or voices my character can hear, and even heat sources should be shown on minimap.

My characters skills and stats should affect the amount of this information, so that a perceptive character gets more information on minimap than normal. Also some spells or effects affecting my characters senses should have an impact on the information on minimap, like deafness and blindness.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    DMKano said:
    lol st this poll

so one "yes", one conditional yes, four No choices, and other.

:D

3 of the No choices are actually Yes.

Yes, but you should have to open a UI map while stopped to navigate.

Yes, but you should have to open a map item purchased from an NPC.

Yes, but you should have to open a map item crafted by other players.

• mistmakermistmaker Member UncommonPosts: 321
    edited February 2017
    for immersion and economy and for additional ways to play a game, it would be cool if you need other players to craft you one. Those players should have a skill for creating maps and should only be able to draw details into this map, which they saw by themselves. They should also be able to enter details by the player himself (text markers). There would be professional map creators and there would be very big differenences in quality.

that would be cool. I read some similar idea in CoE.

PS. every player should have basic skills in drawing and be able to draw simple maps where they have been already by themselves.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited February 2017
    Depends on the game and how the main map works.

As an example, I don't like the compass in ESO. I get the idea behind it, but its probably the execution I don't like. When I see a marker for a new quest on the compass, I have no indication of how far away it is (only active quests show on main map). This makes no sense, because how is it possible that I know about it , but not where it is?

In SWTOR I think the map and minimap is severely lacking. It is a scifi game and even if you are questing in some densely populated area for the local authorities, for some reason you still have fog of war and the main map works like some crappy map on paper(one of the things where it shows that SWTOR is just a fantasy MMO with lasers).

I could get immersed with less map information and no mini map, but then the quests should be worth reading and give a proper description.
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    My sense of direction in games is HORRIBLE.  It is really strange, since my real life sense of direction is impeccable.  The saving grace for me is the mini-map.  Games without one mean I have to memorize everything, which takes a lot of time, and draws a lot of joy out of most games.

My sense of direction is SO BAD, that when you go the opposite direction you are supposed to go, and are convinced you are right, that my gaming friends refer to it as 'doing a Glad'.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• EronakisEronakis Member UncommonPosts: 2,248
    Mini Maps should be optional. If It was my preference I would not allow them. Why? To me Mini Maps take away from immersion from the game world. I don't want to play a game, I want to log into a world.

I think Mini Maps are most useful in interior (dungeon) navigation more than anything. Exterior world navigation should entice the player to be an explorer and become a wayfarer. 

I think it would be quite interesting to be able to purchase a map from an NPC or PC vendor. I think it would be fun if a player can choose to be a cartographer as a profession and sell their maps of where rare NPC's spawn, treasures and hidden areas. Would be quite interesting. 

If there were Mini Maps it should just reveal very basic info, such as terrain elevation, terrain type. I don't know about showing quest NPC's. 

Just my two cents. I wonder if it's worth something? lol
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'd have voted 'yes, with the ability to turn off'.  I also like the suggestion @deniter made, have the information returned based on character attributes / abilities.  I'd also like a relatively wide set of filters for the mini-map (landmarks, 'movement/activity', 'unusual - boat anchor in a desert type of thing', etc.)

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I have almost no sense of direction, and without a good map in a game I am constantly, hopelessly lost.  In real life I can walk about half a mile before getting lost.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    It really depends on the game. If exploration means something, as in being really meaningful and rewarding and a well-thought precisely designed part of the game, then no mini-maps. If it ain't, then it would be inconvenience for no reason. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Games, even with VR, do not give you enough unique sensory feedback to provide the basic sense of direction we all have when we're just walking around in RL. Minimaps and other artificial aids are simply there to make up for the lack of wind direction, warmth from the sun, trees and buildings that look very different from others... they're crutches but necessary ones for simulating RL orienteering.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I need all the maps I can get.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    realistically, how newbie get map? 
  • 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    immodium said:
    DMKano said:
    lol st this poll

so one "yes", one conditional yes, four No choices, and other.

:D

3 of the No choices are actually Yes.

Yes, but you should have to open a UI map while stopped to navigate.

Yes, but you should have to open a map item purchased from an NPC.

Yes, but you should have to open a map item crafted by other players.

...?

There is a difference between minimaps and maps in general.