Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When Should I Buy The DLC?

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
edited February 2017 in Elder Scrolls Online
Just started playing ESO again after previously having gotten a character to the main story ending and then quit, so I've got a level 50. I was wondering when exactly I should buy the first DLC (which I guess is gonna be Imperial City?).  I was gonna play the DLCs in the order they were released, although I'm not sure when I should buy it.  I wanna experience all of the main game first really, so is there a certain stage when the main game is pretty much done and I need to buy DLC to play more content?  Nnot the story though, I mean all the quests, skyshards etc. in zones.

I'm mainly a PvE player by the way, if that's of any relevance.

Thanks.

Comments

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I deleted the game when it was announced. since you just started playing I would wait to buy it on sale during a steam sale or some event sale.
  • FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
    Do they usually put the DLC on sale, or is it just the game itself?
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    just play what you want, the dlc is stand alone story's that can be played in any order. odds are good you get bored long before you run out content.

if not pay the $15 for a month get to cherry pick what you want, you get store credit with that an can buy something after when their a sale.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited February 2017
    If you're mainly a PVE player the two first ones to get would be the Thieve's Guild and Orsinium depending on what you want to do.

Orsinium gives you access to Maelstrom Arena which is a solo raid which is something very unique in MMOs. It's also by far the biggest DLC zone with tons of quest content.

The Thieve's Guild, in addition to the content that comes with, is also unique in that it gives you access to thieve's troves all over the world, not just the DLC zone. These troves give you good coin for the stuff you want to sell and some fairly high-end stuff you can launder and use.

But like other's said. Sub for 1 month and get access to all of them and then decide which ones you want to make permanent.

The Imperial City is probably the worst choice for a PVE player since other than its 2 dungeons, that content is all in a PVP zone where stealth gankers rule the roost.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    I feel it is worth playing through the other two storylines at least once. Whether you do so before or after you get any DLC is up to you.

As and when - assuming to opt to get DLC - the easy choice is to get the DLC 4 pack. The base price of the 4 pack is about the same cost as buying 2 DLCs. About the same - although as mentioned there are sales both on individual DLCs and on buying crowns.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    just buy Orsinium for now, then Morrowind. The other DLC's didn't seem worth it to me.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Orsinium is the best DLC I have ever seen for any game since the City of Villains expansion for CoH.  Especially for PvE, this is a must have.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

gervaise1 said:
    I feel it is worth playing through the other two storylines at least once. Whether you do so before or after you get any DLC is up to you.

As and when - assuming to opt to get DLC - the easy choice is to get the DLC 4 pack. The base price of the 4 pack is about the same cost as buying 2 DLCs. About the same - although as mentioned there are sales both on individual DLCs and on buying crowns.
    When you say to play through the other two storylines, what do you mean exactly?  I'm in Daggerfall Covenant at the moment, so do you mean I should go and play the other two factions storylines?  If so, how would I go about doing this... Is there a starting quest for these two factions?
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    FuryV said:
    gervaise1 said:

When you say to play through the other two storylines, what do you mean exactly?  I'm in Daggerfall Covenant at the moment, so do you mean I should go and play the other two factions storylines?  If so, how would I go about doing this... Is there a starting quest for these two factions?
    When you finish the main story line, go to Coldharbour and face Molag Bal, you will then get a new quest to go play in one other faction's areas. Caldwell gives you this quest and teleports you to the starting area there. When you finish that 100 hours or so of quest content, Caldwell will then send you to the other alliance's zones. The quests are called "Caldwell Silver" and "Caldwell Gold" respectively.

Now that you can go anywhere any time you want it's not as rare as it once was when the other Aliiance's areas were only accessible this way but the content is still there. You've only seen 1/3 of the original 2014 quest content so far.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    FuryV said:
    gervaise1 said:

When you finish the main story line, go to Coldharbour and face Molag Bal, you will then get a new quest to go play in one other faction's areas. Caldwell gives you this quest and teleports you to the starting area there. When you finish that 100 hours or so of quest content, Caldwell will then send you to the other alliance's zones. The quests are called "Caldwell Silver" and "Caldwell Gold" respectively.

Now that you can go anywhere any time you want it's not as rare as it once was when the other Aliiance's areas were only accessible this way but the content is still there. You've only seen 1/3 of the original 2014 quest content so far.
    Nice, that's actually the info I was looking for as I'd like to get that out of the way first before getting any of the DLC.

Thank you.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited February 2017
    @FuryV Yes that is what I mean.

Prior to One Tamriel what used to happen is that the first alliance storyline and the main storyline essentially merged leading to a confrontation with Molag Baal. Have you encountered the God of Schemes? If not you probably have some final quests to do in Coldharbour? (This is a guess on my part).

Once you have encountered Molag Baal you will be transported back to the Harbourage, have a "jolly good chinwag" with Cadwell (!) who informs you that Meridia would like you to explore Tamriel through the eyes of your enemies. Portal opens taking you to one of the other two alliances. Quest log updated to show that you have started Cadwell's Silver.

Post One Tamriel you can mix all three at once - just go to any zone and start. You can also do most of the main quest line early on.

At the end however there is a coming together. And if you haven't done it once it is worthwhile, imo, from a story point of view. Its a capstone. And there is also an overarching story to all of the alliance story lines - and as a result some benefit from doing them in more or less the order intended. (Not crucial but there is more cohesion).

One of the reasons I suggest doing them is the huge amount of content and they should take you to CP160 and usually beyond.

(And specifically the "starting quest" for the other two factions is on their respective starter islands).
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I play mostly PvE and got only the Thieve's Guild and Orsinium so far.  Thieve's Guild is good because it gives you extra stealth and coin from those added skills.  Morrowind should be good for the exra PvE content and class.  Dark Brotherhood should be good if you like assassination content, haven't bought it yet.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Gold Edition 50% off on steam now for what its worth
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited February 2017
    Orsinium is content and very good content, Thieves guild (is an addition to the entire game, fencing, laundering items) and the Dark Brotherhood (all I'd like to say is "X" but i love assassination missions and the quick kills) to me these are the must haves.
    I sub so it's not something i thought about but I'd echo Torval's idea, simply sub for 1 to 3 months, you can check it all out and have the crowns towards buying what you want after.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L