Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Next chapter?

2»

Comments

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    I'd prefer something new. Nostalgia only goes so far. If they want to do a cadence of new, old, new old, I'd be okay with that too. But, Morrowind, then Skyrim, then something from Arena? No thanks.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Fuck that just give me Elder Scrolls 6
    I'll pass. 

Considering the let down Oblivion was after Morrowind and the further letdown of Skyrim, I'll wager ES6 is going to be a pile of garbage. Same holds true of anything Fallout 2+. I sense a pattern.

Besides, Bethesda is more interested in building a shell of a game that requires a shit ton of mods to make it interesting and/or playable. 

I guess it's a more profitable way to grab some cash from your players while the very same players have to "donate" their free time and effort finish the game for Bethesda.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    TENTING said:

What to do? :o 

Play them and ignore the annoyances as much as we can... and take every opportunity when not playing and just shooting the shit in forums to let them know that we don't like what they're doing.

It's pretty well what I do and have always done.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    xpsync said:
    I dropped this as i was interested if anyone was thinking what I'm thinking. I didn't want to influence the topic so here is what I'm thinking.

Next Year: Oblivion
    The year after that: Skyrim

They are obviously capitalizing on the popularity of Morrowind, why not these ones too, specifically Skyrim due to it's popularity.

They could also add Daggerfall or Arena possibly.

After that ? This is supposed to be a yearly thing, it'll be interesting to find out what they come up with every year.

Sorry but doing this would be so boring to me. But i can see how it would get some people interested since most playing ESO don't know about anything else.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    edited February 2017
    baphamet said:
    DMKano said:
    Let me know when Cyrodiil gets some love.... and then we got something to talk about.

Morrowind? I can play the real Morrowind, it is fantastic with the latest mods
    the gameplay is still trash compared to ESO IMO

if nostalgia is what you are looking for then by all means....
    Please tell us why gameplay is trash? In morrorwind you have to work to get better at skills or buy training. That's how most real RPG's should work instead of the playing being an expert at lvl 1 like Skyrim.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Grakulen said:
    I'd prefer something new. Nostalgia only goes so far. If they want to do a cadence of new, old, new old, I'd be okay with that too. But, Morrowind, then Skyrim, then something from Arena? No thanks.
    Isn't ESO supposed to be tied to official lore? By that I mean it's not an alternate history? 

If that's the case I can't really see them going too far into new territory. As that's typically saved for new entries into a series proper.

Which I feel for an MMO is best. It's easier to immerse oneself into a known environment IMO. Which has been the biggest draw for ESO to me. This is an issue that TOR had as I see it. While KOTOR1+2 (especially 2) brilliantly used the Tales of The Old Republic comic universe to it's advantage. TOR kinda Jumped the shark there. A lot of it left the Star Wars feeling behind, the familiar is important to keeping that original feeling. It's what helps you tap into your favorite universes in a new story. 

Jumping straight into a new Elder Scrolls setting would just feel lesser in an MMO without prior exposure to it. A good example of this for me is the High Elven areas in ESO. The only real exposure to that kind of feel in an elder scrolls setting for me,  was in the light areas of The Shivering Isles. SO it still feels kind of jarring to me. I can't really stand questing there as I lose the ES vibe.  

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited February 2017
    SaunZ said:
    WoW brought me to the Warcraft line... I didn't play them, but played WoW.

ESO brought me to the TES line... I didn't play any of those single player ones, just ESO.

Thus proving that the MMORPGs are WAY better.

Sz  :)
    That (your comment) only proved you, and only you, like mmos more than single player games. Nothing else. You are talking about yourself here.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Grakulen said:
    Morrowind is a one-of. Convenient because of the 15 year anniversary to add the parts of Morrowind they left out from the game. Most of it is already there with just Vvanderfell needed to complete it.

2/3 of the Skyrim map is already in the game and has been there since release with no fanfare. Oblivion took place in Cyrodiil which is also there and Daggerfall took place in High Rock all of which is there as well.

Arena used the whole continent and it was procedurally generated terrain between cities.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• todoran_virgiltodoran_virgil Member CommonPosts: 2
    edited February 2017
    I love this game, cant wait for Morrowind :pleased:
                         ⎛⎝______⎠⎞
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/todoran_virgil

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    SaunZ said:
    WoW brought me to the Warcraft line... I didn't play them, but played WoW.

ESO brought me to the TES line... I didn't play any of those single player ones, just ESO.

Thus proving that the MMORPGs are WAY better.

Sz  :)
    That (your comment) only proved you, and only you, like mmos more than single player games. Nothing else. You are talking about yourself here.

duh
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited February 2017
    Torval said:
    Distopia said:
    Grakulen said:
    Isn't ESO supposed to be tied to official lore? By that I mean it's not an alternate history? 

If that's the case I can't really see them going too far into new territory. As that's typically saved for new entries into a series proper.

Which I feel for an MMO is best. It's easier to immerse oneself into a known environment IMO. Which has been the biggest draw for ESO to me. This is an issue that TOR had as I see it. While KOTOR1+2 (especially 2) brilliantly used the Tales of The Old Republic comic universe to it's advantage. TOR kinda Jumped the shark there. A lot of it left the Star Wars feeling behind, the familiar is important to keeping that original feeling. It's what helps you tap into your favorite universes in a new story. 

Jumping straight into a new Elder Scrolls setting would just feel lesser in an MMO without prior exposure to it. A good example of this for me is the High Elven areas in ESO. The only real exposure to that kind of feel in an elder scrolls setting for me,  was in the light areas of The Shivering Isles. SO it still feels kind of jarring to me. I can't really stand questing there as I lose the ES vibe.  
    Maybe ESO will grow up someday and the Bethesda team will allow them to branch out to maps on their own.

The problem with sticking with just Oblivion, Morrowind, and Skyrim is they'll run out of map areas sooner than they're released on single player. It's been about 6 years since Skyrim (I think) and I don't see TES 6 coming out this year or we'd have heard the hoopla.

I'm not familiar with the TES games outside of those. Did Arena, Battlespire, Redguard, or Daggerfall have areas that aren't covered in the latter that also haven't been mapped in ESO?

Maybe Bethesda and ZoS could work together and fill out a framework that would make sense developing both series.
    The way I see ESO is, it's trying to play around in the old school lore which there's plenty of. Just about every area of content is based on some nugget of familiarity we've seen in the books and journals/lore within the games that have come before. There's still plenty of that left to uncover. They could certainly show more of each homeland. Similar to what they did with orisinum. Yet, It would just be cutting that future TES game off at the head. I would think they'd wanna keep that kind of impact to a minimal.

It would be interesting to see what setting the next TES game will be in. And how that would coincide with ESO.... A joint "New world" release would certainly look good on paper.

It really depends on how they want to handle the TES series proper, They could easily preserve things like fleshing out Blackmarsh, and instead focus more on daggerfall ( similar to what they are doing with Morrowind). Since we've seen it before, that leaves the true new experience to a numbered TES release.

That's just my guess though. They could want to just leave all that to ESO now. Who knows?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Iselin said:
    Distopia said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    You people talk like this is a new thing. How do you think GTA stays in the top 10 revenue earners month after month, year after year.

My son just bought weapon a pack in Uncharted 4 because he wanted them and they were on sale. Most people don't actually care about that stuff, like they don't care if they have to buy a $50 endorsement tag for their fishing license and a $12 lure. The costs are insignificant (especially compared to other hobbies) and they just want to have fun.
    And you people talk like this is a good thing lol.
    Nah just acknowledging it is a thing. Good or bad is in the eye of the beholder. It also varies game by game. Look at GTA since it was used as an example. They consistently offer free multiplayer content updates to that game. Which is probably a direct result of all of the revenue from that shop.

Otherwise it would have probably died off long ago. Yet the servers are still pretty active in that game (across multiple platforms). Is that good or bad?

I personally don't look at it so negatively in cases like that.

1) it's a game with tons of vanilla content ( at a typical game's price tag). 
     2) they regularly update the multiplayer portion. (yes I'd love some single player DLC)...

In other cases it's not so rosy. This isn't really a universally good or bad topic.  

Well I must be old fashioned but I like buying the game and then playing the game without any other purchases like I did back in the 80s and 90s. Back then no one was trying to get at our wallet constantly while we played.

It was even a rare thing in PC games when consoles started doing it but these days there is hardly any difference between PC, consoles, IOS or Facebook games. They're all constantly trying to sell you more.

At best to me, they're things to be ignored while playing but they're always an annoyance.
    We didn't get any updates as contents back in the 80s and 90s. I understand how greed has infected this industry, but regarding contents we can't have it both ways.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    have the distinct feeling there are going to be some seriously salty broken hearts when this expansion launches due exactly to over-expectation because of the very nostalgia you seem to be slamming here. For fuck sakes Zenimax is BANKING on that nostalgia to push sales. At least the people who love the old Morrowind game know exactly what they're getting and not just rejoicing off the hype of a few press releases.
    I agree, many a folk are going to work this up into something it will never be, but i'm sure there are just as many whom understand it's not "Morrowind the game" and be pleasantly surprised.

My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L