Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RuneScape 3 Still Gold

nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
edited February 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
I play it right now. PVE still fun. So many players around.

I think its because

1. F2P

2. Small download time

3. Small graphic requirements

4. PVE was fun with so many things to do

5. 3D models is simple and look good (better than morrowind)

Comments

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited February 2017
    It's rather silly that Runescape's quests still beat out most MMOs other quests.   You know they actually tell a story with a beginning, middle, and end.   Have actual problems to solve, and have actual rewards that can open up fundamentally different abilities/areas...

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Runescape was my first MMO. I figured after a few years I would find a huge AAA MMO with similar questing. I still havent found it.  I never knew what a kill 10 wolves quest was playing this game. I just hate the click to move these days, but it is defintely a fun game to play. 
  • 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    edited February 2017
    I played Runescape at its peak, from about 2006 to 2010, then again in 2013-2014 when they released Old School (an offically-run 2007 server of the game, essentially what Nostalrius should have been for WoW). I liked it back then, but Runescape has become a shadow of its former self, in my opinion. All of the things that make Runescape 3 a good game with the exception of the new graphics are just leftover from back then - the quests, the open and casual nature, the crafting emphasis, the monetization model (until 2012 IIRC it had neither a cash shop nor box price, just a $7 subscription fee and a very generous free to play mode), the lack of download (it used to be a completely browser game, with no download whatsoever), the lore and how it's presented, etc. Runescape 3 now sells gold in the cash shop, releases endless XP boosting items, adds almost exclusively high or max level new content and has a completely one dimensional combat system (pick the weapon with the highest DPS, spam click abilities, repeat).

However, if you didn't play it in its prime it may be attractive, similar to how Fallout 4 was praised among players new to the franchise, but long-time Fallout fans were disappointed.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I tried it a few months ago again and ran into alot of "you cant enter this area" stuff that was a real turn off
  • nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    edited February 2017
    I tried it a few months ago again and ran into alot of "you cant enter this area" stuff that was a real turn off
    haha i still had fun killing goblins. it is free, but not worth the sub for me. they need to fix the clunky animation

i would buy the game if its buy to play. sub is still taboo for me. i only sub on a perfect game like gw2
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    edited February 2017
    anemo said:
    It's rather silly that Runescape's quests still beat out most MMOs other quests.   You know they actually tell a story with a beginning, middle, and end.   Have actual problems to solve, and have actual rewards that can open up fundamentally different abilities/areas...
    Why do you find it silly that Runescape's quests beat out most MMO's? You do understand that different dev teams value different aspects of mmo's differently right? WoW values gameplay/combat the highest. Questing isn't that high on their list. They see it as a means to get to the good shit, just used for leveling purposes. And even then, they still manage to put enough of a story(really rehashed from their books/etc) to where if you ACTUALLY played the game and paid attention, you'd see the story isn't horseshit that some on mmorpg forums would have you believe.(it isn't great by any means, just merely ok)

Runescape on the other hand highly values their quests. They don't have a billion of them for one, so obviously you'd be able to point to Runescapes questing and say look, there's like not a single shit quest. I could point to you dozens of amazing questlines in WoW, it won't be a drop in the bucket for all the "kill 5 boars" quests, but they have good quests still.

So really, why do you find it silly that Runescape's quests beat out most MMOs?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    edited February 2017
    Sephiroso said:
    anemo said:
    Why do you find it silly that Runescape's quests beat out most MMO's? You do understand that different dev teams value different aspects of mmo's differently right? WoW values gameplay/combat the highest. Questing isn't that high on their list. They see it as a means to get to the good shit, just used for leveling purposes. And even then, they still manage to put enough of a story(really rehashed from their books/etc) to where if you ACTUALLY played the game and paid attention, you'd see the story isn't horseshit that some on mmorpg forums would have you believe.(it isn't great by any means, just merely ok)

Runescape on the other hand highly values their quests. They don't have a billion of them for one, so obviously you'd be able to point to Runescapes questing and say look, there's like not a single shit quest. I could point to you dozens of amazing questlines in WoW, it won't be a drop in the bucket for all the "kill 5 boars" quests, but they have good quests still.

So really, why do you find it silly that Runescape's quests beat out most MMOs?
    @Sephiroso

The way I've always figured it is that if you have people playing games that have as bad of a turn offs as say Runescape, EvE, Wurmonline, Haven and Hearth, or similar.   You'd see more devs diving onto some of the more interesting mechanics of those worlds.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    I agree runescape's quests are the best I've played. They are engaging, rewarding, witty, fun and give you a sense of achievement. Now onto RS3; I think its garbage because they changed the foundation of the game to cater to the WoW players. At least I still can enjoy OSRS.

Edit: I also like how items have inert values and people are idolized if they have expensive/rare items like it should be.

MurderHerd

• nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    I agree runescape's quests are the best I've played. They are engaging, rewarding, witty, fun and give you a sense of achievement. Now onto RS3; I think its garbage because they changed the foundation of the game to cater to the WoW players. At least I still can enjoy OSRS.

Edit: I also like how items have inert values and people are idolized if they have expensive/rare items like it should be.
    what the different?
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    I agree RS3 is great fun. I play it every now and then as Hardcore Ironman. There is truly not an mmo quite like it and it is very charming if it appeals to you. Definitely a classic that is easy to get back into. 
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Runescape Classic was my first mmo when I was 9, 16+ years ago. I also played it through it's peak in RS2, though I took an 8 year break until a 3 years ago. Now, I return to it for 1 month a year to mess around, but it's mostly for nostalgia reasons.

One of my main issues with the current version is the population is significantly smaller than what it used to be. Meanwhile, the current population is split in 2 with 40% playing Old School RS and 60% playing RS3. The last few times I've returned back in recent years even the dedicated worlds for certain things such as mini-games feel and are empty. The game just lacks the soul it once had at it's peak, but I keep returning for just that glimpse into what once was.

Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351

what the different?
    Try OSRS (they have free to play servers now, I think) for a week and compare that to RS3 and you'll see the differences (besides the graphics). Biggest differences are difficulty (everything takes longer to do in OSRS, but feels more satisfying because of it, IMO), community (I've found OSRS players far more mature than those of RS3, in general), and the attitude towards achievements (since a large portion of RS3's playerbase is maxed, I've found that no one cares about most formerly impressive achievements, both level-wise and monetary).
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Runescape still better than most MMOs today

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul