Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained - Necessary Disclosure Agreement - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 242
    Yep. We could do it technically, it's not that hard but the problem is, I don't think it is the right way to do things for a game like ours. If we were a PvE game, I would definitely think about trying to do it, but that's for the future.
    Fine! Still plenty of time for me to understand why multiple servers is the right way to do things for CU. Or for you to realize that the advent of the One True Server is inevitable. :p
    JamesGoblin
  • nursonurso Member UncommonPosts: 50
    edited February 2017

Fine! Still plenty of time for me to understand why multiple servers is the right way to do things for CU.
    IMO and as I claim before, it's because of the delay ... CU is a RvRvR (and thus PvP) game, thus it heavily relies on a good ping for the optimal experience. Also, a one-true-server would allow for time-zone cheesing ;)

But in the case Amazons builds a server-platform in the middle of the Atlantic ocean it would nice to have an EU + NAW server-cluster ;)

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 242
    edited February 2017
    nurso said:

Fine! Still plenty of time for me to understand why multiple servers is the right way to do things for CU.
    IMO and as I claim before, it's because of the delay ... CU is a RvRvR (and thus PvP) game, thus it heavily relies on a good ping for the optimal experience. Also, a one-true-server would allow for time-zone cheesing ;)

But in the case Amazons builds a server-platform in the middle of the Atlantic ocean it would nice to have an EU + NAW server-cluster ;)

How well a game plays when affected by higher latency depends on many factors (length of the animation cycle, movement speed of the characters, nature and velocity of the projectiles, client vs. server authoritative architecture, lag compensation, quality of the server back-end tech, method to register hits on the targets, etc.).

I think the impact varies a lot from one PvP game to the other, depending on those factors.  For examples Black Desert could be more affected than Darkfall Online, DF > TERA, TERA > Elder Scrolls Online, ESO > Life is Feudal, etc.

In the case of CU, because the length of the animations is very long, that the physics & simulation are run by the server, that tracking is used on many projectiles, that the back-end server tech and anything network related are built with extremely large number of players in mind, ping may not have as detrimental of an impact on how the game plays as it has on how other PvP games play.

We will see how it looks like during Beta 1, there should be plenty of people from all over the world joining the fight.  =)
    JamesGoblin