Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained - Necessary Disclosure Agreement - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 648
    ...continued

nurso said:
    As far as I remember MJ said that they aim for 50-60k+ subscribers, which means ~20k players per server assuming that there are 3 region-serverclusters (NAW, NAE and EU) ... so that would mean 5k players are equal to 25% server workload, which seems much too low to me. Therefore 10-15k+ concurrent players per server is much more realistic IMO. 

What I'd want is a single "server" with a large number of islands (more or less depending on the player population, maybe even with water flooding certain islands during downtime or if the player base declines), where all players could share the same world and the same unique story of the world of Camelot. Basically islands to replace traditional "servers".

You would, would you? While we can't do a single server for a huge population (well, we can do it but we don't want to go down the route of some other games), the flooding of certain islands at certain times... :)

nurso said:

What I'd want is a single "server" with a large number of islands (more or less depending on the player population, maybe even with water flooding certain islands during downtime or if the player base declines), where all players could share the same world and the same unique story of the world of Camelot. Basically islands to replace traditional "servers".
    Mh, isn't that exactly what we will get? AFAIK there will be 2 or 3 sever-clusters (aka 'world' 1 to 3) at launch,1-2 in the US in 1 in the EU. The server that made up the server-clusters represent the islands, so in short: 1 island = 1 server. Sadly, one gigantic world / server-cluster wont happen, because the delay will be much too high -- it's physically impossible.

Well the current plan I think is to create as many servers as CSE judge necessary (in regards to gameplay/design more than technical limitations I think). What I want is a single world where the entire CSE hosted EU/US player base can connect to. =P

Imo it's feasible with the current tech they've got.

The higher latency is already something CSE has to take care of because they've said EU players would be able to play with US players anyway. Combat is quite slow in CU so it may not be problematic.

Maybe they could even host certain islands from that single world/server in EU and others in US East/West.

The biggest issue would be that it would go against what they've said during KS. =/

Yep. We could do it technically, it's not that hard but the problem is, I don't think it is the right way to do things for a game like ours. If we were a PvE game, I would definitely think about trying to do it, but that's for the future.

Iselin said:

I think that NDAs for MMOs are an antiquated idea these days that backfire more often than not.

I remember during ESO's closed beta phase there were several troll videos posted simply to make it look as bad as possible. The NDA actually prevented effective visual counters to the damage that those videos did.

That is the way of the online world now. Leaks will happen. Your carefully selected group of NDA testing participants will include trolls. Some of those trolls will try to hurt you. 

Yep, that's always the risk as you correctly point out. It's why it's a no-win scenario and unfortunately, we can't reprogram humanity like Kirk reprogrammed the computer. :)

Again, thanks Tim, Bill, and MMORPG and the folks who posted here. Back to work on purifying/refining spreadsheets I go. :)

-Mark

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 239
    Yep. We could do it technically, it's not that hard but the problem is, I don't think it is the right way to do things for a game like ours. If we were a PvE game, I would definitely think about trying to do it, but that's for the future.
    Fine! Still plenty of time for me to understand why multiple servers is the right way to do things for CU. Or for you to realize that the advent of the One True Server is inevitable. :p
    JamesGoblin
  • nursonurso Member UncommonPosts: 50
    edited February 2017

Fine! Still plenty of time for me to understand why multiple servers is the right way to do things for CU.
    IMO and as I claim before, it's because of the delay ... CU is a RvRvR (and thus PvP) game, thus it heavily relies on a good ping for the optimal experience. Also, a one-true-server would allow for time-zone cheesing ;)

But in the case Amazons builds a server-platform in the middle of the Atlantic ocean it would nice to have an EU + NAW server-cluster ;)

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 239
    edited February 2017
    nurso said:

Fine! Still plenty of time for me to understand why multiple servers is the right way to do things for CU.
    IMO and as I claim before, it's because of the delay ... CU is a RvRvR (and thus PvP) game, thus it heavily relies on a good ping for the optimal experience. Also, a one-true-server would allow for time-zone cheesing ;)

But in the case Amazons builds a server-platform in the middle of the Atlantic ocean it would nice to have an EU + NAW server-cluster ;)

How well a game plays when affected by higher latency depends on many factors (length of the animation cycle, movement speed of the characters, nature and velocity of the projectiles, client vs. server authoritative architecture, lag compensation, quality of the server back-end tech, method to register hits on the targets, etc.).

I think the impact varies a lot from one PvP game to the other, depending on those factors.  For examples Black Desert could be more affected than Darkfall Online, DF > TERA, TERA > Elder Scrolls Online, ESO > Life is Feudal, etc.

In the case of CU, because the length of the animations is very long, that the physics & simulation are run by the server, that tracking is used on many projectiles, that the back-end server tech and anything network related are built with extremely large number of players in mind, ping may not have as detrimental of an impact on how the game plays as it has on how other PvP games play.

We will see how it looks like during Beta 1, there should be plenty of people from all over the world joining the fight.  =)
    JamesGoblin