Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All Costs Recouped After 320k Units Sold for Early Access - Conan Exiles - MMORPG.com

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Paying for early access is ridiculous and needs to end.....While Funcom is a well established company, many that are using this method are not and give the appearance of total cash grabs.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Paying for early access is ridiculous and needs to end.....While Funcom is a well established company, many that are using this method are not and give the appearance of total cash grabs.
    You and others dictating what people buy is ridiculous and needs to end

Me buying Conan Exiles has no effect on you, except I suppose you see more early access games. Too bad for you though, don't care what you think. You are more than welcome to ignore early access games if you don't like them.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• vorrin5vorrin5 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Kyleran said:
    So the world is pretty small then?
    Only 2 biomes are in the game right now: Desert and Unnamed City.

The official wiki lists 8 biomes for the finished game: http://conanexiles.gamepedia.com/Biome

Desert, Arid, Savannah Grass, Unnamed City, Forest, Snow, Jungle, and Swamp. Some might be doubled-up like Desert/Unnamed City, but that remains to be seen.

Full map is supposed to be around 53 km² (community manager confirms it): https://steamcommunity.com/app/440900/discussions/0/142260718951029948/
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

exile01 said:

So, 320k people paid full price for an unfinished early beta game.

No, they paid full price for the full game. They won't be paying any additional for future polish. In this case people decided an up front payment to take it in good faith that they'll enjoy the end product.

Thankfully this has paid off for a good few of them as I am seeing favourable reviews and videos coming out of this. This method of payment is not for everyone, personally I am not too fond of it and I am more than happy to wait whilst I watch others play.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    EA is fine IMO you just have to be wary of who you're dealing with. I see no problem with helping the likes of Larian, Funcom, inexile etc reach their financial goals through EA. I find it to be a better method for myself than paying into KS campaigns. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    DAYZ

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.
    User reviews:
    RECENT:
    Mostly Negative (2,146 reviews)
    OVERALL:
    Mixed (161,655 reviews)
    Release Date: Dec 16, 2013

Release date says 2013, it's 2017 and still an EA game LoL!!!! have fun Conan fans
    DAYZ

WARNING: THIS GAME IS EARLY ACCESS ALPHA. PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO ACTIVELY SUPPORT DEVELOPMENT OF THE GAME AND ARE PREPARED TO HANDLE WITH SERIOUS ISSUES AND POSSIBLE INTERRUPTIONS OF GAME FUNCTIONING.
    User reviews:
    RECENT:
    Mostly Negative (2,146 reviews)
    OVERALL:
    Mixed (161,655 reviews)
    Release Date: Dec 16, 2013

Release date says 2013, it's 2017 and still an EA game LoL!!!! have fun Conan fans
    Three words, Divinity: Original Sin.. 

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    There is always a curve for EA games. . if they drag on too long in EA. . the income from new purchases becomes lower than the cost to continue development.  I would have liked to see this game a little further along before entering EA.   The hope I have is that it will become more popular over time rather than less.  that is the gamble.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Happy for Funcom! Most of us have benefited from their development.
    Late Access games are a better deal, you get way more for your money, and their playable. By the time you purchase them, many people have paid, played, and opined enough for you to really have a decent overview of what your getting into.

Think about someone who has never played Skyrim for example, they make the purchase today, how different is their experience and how much more polished is it? Plus they get the game for less than half of the original cost and it comes with more additions than the original.

Compare that to EA player

"Yeah I was the first person to login to Conan, during the early days you couldn't do anything but run around naked and snap photos of your dong hanging in front of scenic vistas" I was one of the first to snap a picture of my dong hanging between two mountains and a valley, no one else would have thought to do something like that. Fortunately I screen capped these because just as the sun was setting and I was about the snap the perfect picture of my dong blocking the sun to make a dongsolar eclipse, the damn game crashed, but you can see in the pic half of my dong is blocking the sun and the other half is missing because it bugged out.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Sovrath said:
    laserit said:

If 200 people all had their own buildings I would definitely be in agreement with Ikeda 
    Especially the thing I'm building.

A good quality temple of Set needs its space!
    Throw us a screenshot of your temple.
    Definitely when it's more done.

I had a sort of grand stair case planned and discovered a sort of bug. My stairs attached to a foundation piece at the "edge" of a cliff ran into a problem as there seemed to be some sort of "invisible" outcropping from the cliff face. Meaning, if you went up or down the stair you would find a sort of invisible wall which you had to jump over.

Sad thing was one stair piece and a foundation piece became untouchable and I couldn't interact with them to remove them. I the became creative and built out from the cliff, covering the offending pieces and it actually gives it a better look.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Late Access games are a better deal, you get way more for your money, and their playable. By the time you purchase them, many people have paid, played, and opined enough for you to really have a decent overview of what your getting into.

Think about someone who has never played Skyrim for example, they make the purchase today, how different is their experience and how much more polished is it? Plus they get the game for less than half of the original cost and it comes with more additions than the original.

"Yeah I was the first person to login to Conan, during the early days you couldn't do anything but run around naked and snap photos of your dong hanging in front of scenic vistas" I was one of the first to snap a picture of my dong hanging between two mountains and a valley, no one else would have thought to do something like that. Fortunately I screen capped these because just as the sun was setting and I was about the snap the perfect picture of my dong blocking the sun to make a dongsolar eclipse, the damn game crashed, but you can see in the pic half of my dong is blocking the sun and the other half is missing because it bugged out.

You might have a point if that's all you could do in Conan, but when your argument is completely fabricated based on one outrageous feature (i personally avoid by playing on non nude servers).. It loses all of it's intent. 

Distopia said:

You might have a point if that's all you could do in Conan, but when your argument is completely fabricated based on one outrageous feature (i personally avoid by playing on non nude servers).. It loses all of it's intent. 

I got you to imagine a penis blocking the sun like a solar eclipse would aka (dongsolar eclipse). 

This is nearly impossible though, to see the penis outline, that would require the outline to be darkened against the sun, but that would leave much of the suns surface exposed, those exposed surfaces would be too bright to actually view a dongsolar eclipse with the naked eye.

Some heavy Stevie Wonder glasses should enable those who wish to view a dongsolar eclipse the capability to do so.

Now I got you picturing a viewing audience with those heavy safety glasses on like Stevie Wonder wears, their jaws are dropped open as they stair in awe a the dongsolar eclipse.

I wish you sweet dreams tonight my friend.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

SlyLoK said:

Nice but what will they have to sell to keep up with current dev costs?

If their other online multiplayer game that they released then abandoned Lego Minifigures is any indication I'd bet they are working on some type of cash shop or dlc at this very moment and don't plan to add much more to the game except a little more polish + maybe 1 or 2 more features just to be able to push the idea that the game is complete.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Best of both worlds sell 320K units and peak at 25K a day and average around 17000. With those numbers they could have stayed with the other server host.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Wizardry said:

I have seen how much top streamers drive these game sales.Already noticed a few top streamers playing different games because that is what they do,they follow their sponsors.

With the top streamers not playing already,you will soon see those followers leave as well.The game has little to offer,i just can't see people staying interested once they run the course of discovery.

It has already dropped down to 13th in viewers from #3-4 and now  the next SPONSORED game NIOH is #4 on the watch list,sad really and these streamers are not announcing sponsorship which is illegal.

If people are truly interested in a game,they stick with it,they don't keep jumping game to game where the sponsors take them.

Keyword "Investors" so most of the money is going to them,Funcom is seeing very little and likely will continue to do very little.Just like Daybreak their game H1Z1 also called early access has seen VERY little ongoing development and that is because after the initial sales very little money comes in.The ONLY way this game sees much investment from here on in is with a cash shop.So now if you want the rest of the game that SHOULD already be there,you will be asked to pay more lol.

Point is these are NOT early access games,we would see a LOT more work done on these games if they were.They are merely  quick cash grabs,feelers to see if there is any interest.I use H1Z1 as a point because it sold a ton of copies as well but i have seen what looks like maybe 5 men and 4 months of work tops over the last 2 years.Other early access games have even less,the only additional development usually is in form of the cash shop.

Funcom has released between 1 and 3 patches every day since it hit early access. If anything that shows they are actively working on the game and fixing the issues it has. If it was just a simple cash grab they wouldn't even put that effort in like H1Z1.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited February 2017

Caiden said:

This is awesome!

Well done, Funcom!

I hope it continues to grow successfully.

Now they can make it a real MMO, Remove the useless Denuvo bullshit slowing everything down, and make it a real game its sad that leveling a character and you can't get into a server because its full.

Need actual official servers.
  • CohasCohas Member UncommonPosts: 152
    way to go funcom!! I have enjoyed the game so far

Have No Fear Cohas is here!!!

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Spiider said:

Bring over 200 per server and you can count me in those 320k or more. Until you do I'll be on the sideline.

They're glad to be able to run 20 people smoothly at the moment, so it's a long way there, if they ever get there at all.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089

Sovrath said:

exile01 said:

Good thing at least a few of them are having fun.

Exactly, just a few and the majority will ditch it like it never existed. But still, people never learn.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    exile01 said:

Sovrath said:

exile01 said:

Good thing at least a few of them are having fun.

Exactly, just a few and the majority will ditch it like it never existed. But still, people never learn.
    Well, if someone buys an early access game and expects "the moon" that is their fault and I have no pity for them.

The game is fun for me and as I've mentioned elsewhere I will definitely drop some money into their pockets the first chance I get as the game was given to me but I feel it's worth paying for. Even at this point in its development.

We'll see what updates Funcom adds over time and that will be the telling factor as to whether the majority ditches it.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Grakulen said:
    This is why people won't stop trying to sell EA games.
    Maybe you shouldn't worry what other people do with their money.  If people want to spend $30 and gets 100s of hours of entertainment they sure as hell don't need your permission.  People like you are why gamers get a bad rap sometimes. 
    If you can get that many hours out of this game sounds to me like you are beating a dead horse.  I could not get beyond a couple hours before deleting it.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited February 2017
    The thing about survival sandboxes on steam early access is that they enter early access during early alpha and just never seem to finish. DayZ, project zomboid, 7 days to die, rust, the long dark, the forest, Stranded deep, Subnautica, H1Z1, Ark: survival evolved just to name the more popular ones that have been around for quite some time now.

The crazy part in all this is that funcom spent so much time and effort in making the secret world and only sold 300k copies during the first month and a survival sandbox in early alpha manages to sell more copies in less than a week.

People love to talk about how you vote with your wallet and if anything this shows that both Daybreak and Funcom did the right call when they stopped making mmorpg.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Shaigh said:
    The thing about survival sandboxes on steam early access is that they enter early access during early alpha and just never seem to finish. DayZ, project zomboid, 7 days to die, rust, the long dark, the forest, Stranded deep, Subnautica, H1Z1, Ark: survival evolved just to name the more popular ones that have been around for quite some time now.

The crazy part in all this is that funcom spent so much time and effort in making the secret world and only sold 300k copies during the first month and a survival sandbox in early alpha manages to sell more copies in less than a week.

People love to talk about how you vote with your wallet and if anything this shows that both Daybreak and Funcom did the right call when they stopped making mmorpg.
    Yup, that's why survival games are the new "in" thing. Cheap to make and they can pull in a healthy number of players. Significantly less risky than developing a full blown mmorpg.
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Shaigh said:

There are reasons why they are in early access for so long (in terms of DayZ they have less of an excuse) development from alpha doesn't just get finished at the snap of your fingers. It takes time and a lot of fleshing out. Game development is a longer process than a lot of people want to act like it is.