Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All Costs Recouped After 320k Units Sold for Early Access - Conan Exiles - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Iselin said:
    That's some pretty cheap production costs if their profit on 320K Steam units covers it + the advertising.
    Not really, for that type of game. That's a minimum of $9.6 million, and that's only if everyone bought the standard version of the game. Ark, for example, had only spent about $2 million leading up to early access.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    whats the appeal of this game? I am not a fan of Conan, so whats some reasons a non fan should be interested in this game? 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    edited February 2017
    whats the appeal of this game? I am not a fan of Conan, so whats some reasons a non fan should be interested in this game? 
    I would say because it's a Conan survival game. If you are not a fan of Conan then there would be no appeal.

edit: well, unless you love survival games but then just pick one of the several that are already launched with more features as this is early access.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Sovrath said:
    I would say because it's a Conan survival game. If you are not a fan of Conan then there would be no appeal.

edit: well, unless you love survival games but then just pick one of the several that are already launched with more features as this is early access.
    It's more than a survival game ;)

It's like a Multiplayer, Survival, PvP/PvE, Open-Virtual-World RPG.

Most everything I always wanted a MMORPG to be.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• CrusadecrusherCrusadecrusher Member UncommonPosts: 283
    You don't have to be interested in every game that comes out.  If by reading the massive amount of info or watching the 1000s of videos about Conan Exiles you are still not interested the game is clearly not for you.  No worries apparently enough people are...
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    It will sell millions when it gets on console.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,048
    I've been away mum in law had a bad fall broke her ribs and bad cut back of the head so have not kept up. This game looks interesting am going to go check it out.
    Chamber of Chains
  • black_isleblack_isle Member UncommonPosts: 256
    edited February 2017
    Very happy about this and hope it will keep the momentum. But i hope some of the game's profit goes into AoC, not major stuff but at least good QoL updates and somethings here and there. It's only fair since AoC funded TSW at it's own peril and well, it's Conan, you know.
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,171
    laserit said:
    I'm loving the game so far, its got so much potential.

Don't fuck it up Funcom. You've got a real winner on your hands, it's your ball to drop.
    I hate that term.  Just about every game I've played in some form had potential...  the whole Conan thing never really appealed to me, but, I hope it meets whatever potential people see in it. 

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

wait what? this is a mmo now?

There is always at least one...

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Funcom...I'm still awaiting the fricking patch that allows key bindings to save what I set them to. Then I will buy it again and play.
    What is taking so long?? :(

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Iselin said:
    That's some pretty cheap production costs if their profit on 320K Steam units covers it + the advertising.
    At $30 a pop, minus steams 30%, that still gives them almost 7 million in revenue for the 320k units sold.  Its not an MMO, they already had the code for movement and many of the animations plus some of the artwork so 7 million could honestly cover their initial build cost. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Talonsin said:
    Iselin said:
    At $30 a pop, minus steams 30%, that still gives them almost 7 million in revenue for the 320k units sold.  Its not an MMO, they already had the code for movement and many of the animations plus some of the artwork so 7 million could honestly cover their initial build cost. 
    Yes. These things are cheap to do. It's why everyone is pumping them out.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Not surprised, the game does seem to be better than the average survival games, as in it has a lot more going on in the world and what you can do compared to games like Rust, H1Z1 and Dayz. Those games feel empty, not sure what it is. Feel this is a good direction for these type of games, hopefully if there is more they follow this one and build apon it and maybe we might one day get a really good survival game lol.
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    So, 320k people paid full price for an unfinished early beta game.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    i cross my fingers. Lets see if they any better than others doing early access game.
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    Well done Funcom loving Conan Exiles.
  • Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Is this game fun as a solo survival game or don't bother?
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Nice but what will they have to sell to keep up with current dev costs?
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I figured they would recoup their expenses quickly. The game's been doing rather well it seems. I'm happy to learn it wasn't just an impression, and that they can continue building on those foundations now.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    exile01 said:
    Good thing at least a few of them are having fun.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have seen how much top streamers drive these game sales.Already noticed a few top streamers playing different games because that is what they do,they follow their sponsors.

With the top streamers not playing already,you will soon see those followers leave as well.The game has little to offer,i just can't see people staying interested once they run the course of discovery.

It has already dropped down to 13th in viewers from #3-4 and now  the next SPONSORED game NIOH is #4 on the watch list,sad really and these streamers are not announcing sponsorship which is illegal.

If people are truly interested in a game,they stick with it,they don't keep jumping game to game where the sponsors take them.

Keyword "Investors" so most of the money is going to them,Funcom is seeing very little and likely will continue to do very little.Just like Daybreak their game H1Z1 also called early access has seen VERY little ongoing development and that is because after the initial sales very little money comes in.The ONLY way this game sees much investment from here on in is with a cash shop.So now if you want the rest of the game that SHOULD already be there,you will be asked to pay more lol.

Point is these are NOT early access games,we would see a LOT more work done on these games if they were.They are merely  quick cash grabs,feelers to see if there is any interest.I use H1Z1 as a point because it sold a ton of copies as well but i have seen what looks like maybe 5 men and 4 months of work tops over the last 2 years.Other early access games have even less,the only additional development usually is in form of the cash shop.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited February 2017
    exile01 said:
    Is $30 full price for a game now?

I sure wish it was.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I dunno. I certainly didn't pay 30. And while there are some bugs, I'm having fun as hell. In fact, I got a house deep into enemy territory. It's awesome. To those talking about 200 man servers, have you actually played the game? 200 man servers means nothing would be unpopulated. That's ridiculous.
    laserit said:
    exile01 said:
    Is $30 full price for a game now?

I sure wish it was.
    Well unless they plan to sell the game with a higher price tag once it releases as a finished product, it is a full price.
    Most complete games I see, pretty much cost $60. This game is a bargain at $30, even if it is an unfinished early beta game.